PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Draft Prospect: Jamaal Franklin

Bruno
02-28-2013, 10:37 AM
http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom/img/2012/03/10/031012-CBK-SD-State-Jamaal-Franklin-PI-AA_20120310233330323_660_320.JPG
Height: 6-5
Weight: 205 lbs
Birthday: 07/21/1991
College: San Diego State

DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jamaal-Franklin-17500/)
NBADraft (http://www.nbadraft.net/players/jamaal-franklin)

BackHome
03-05-2013, 01:58 AM
Draft Net has him going into the second round not sure if it is just a typo?

Man In Black
04-08-2013, 01:52 AM
One of those guys that's good at a whole bunch of things but not great at any one thing. May consider going back to SDSU if the draft position is not favorable.

BackHome
04-08-2013, 07:52 PM
Yeah funny he was a mid first round a couple of months ago and now is a mid second round pick.

exstatic
04-08-2013, 08:37 PM
Yeah funny he was a mid first round a couple of months ago and now is a mid second round pick.

He needed a good tournament, and didn't have one. Aztecs went out early.

TrainOfThought5
04-09-2013, 02:20 AM
i wouldnt catching him falling in the second round. San Diego State has been good to us
:toast

ace3g
04-12-2013, 03:37 PM
Emiliano Carchia ‏@SportandoBasket (https://twitter.com/SportandoBasket) 4h (https://twitter.com/SportandoBasket/status/322755396076982273) San Diego State junior guard Jamaal Franklin has elected to forgo his senior season, hire an agent and enter the 2013 NBA Draft

Man In Black
04-12-2013, 05:55 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sdsus-franklin-jumps-nba-171043571--ncaab.html

Fisher cites Franklin's work ethic, too.
"The number one thing is his burning desire to succeed," Fisher said. "No one works harder to get better than Jamaal. He watched (San Antonio Spurs forward and former Aztec) Kawhi (Leonard) when he was here. Kawhi worked as hard as any player I've coached. So does Jamaal."
Franklin believes improving his shooting would enhance his chances of playing at a high level in the NBA.
"I need to work on shooting the ball more consistent," he said. "The NBA probably already knows I can score and rebound the ball and defend anywhere from one through the three (positions). But I need to work on shooting the ball consistently."

exstatic
04-12-2013, 08:22 PM
Draft Net has him going into the second round not sure if it is just a typo?

Just FYI, DX has had him as a pick in the teens/20s the whole spring.

exstatic
04-28-2013, 09:43 AM
Look at my hands!! I've got SDSU hands!!
http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom/img/2012/03/10/031012-CBK-SD-State-Jamaal-Franklin-PI-AA_20120310233330323_660_320.JPG

Seriously, unless a big fish drops to us (not likely), if we don't move up, this is the kid I want. He's got a number of skills, and playing PF in their four guard offense last year, he's a ++ rebounder for a SG. He's supposedly every bit the gym rat that Kawhi is, but their personalities are different. Jamaal's fire burns a lot hotter. The biggest hole in his game, and the thing that is keeping him out of the lottery is his jumper. We've got just the guy to fix that. ;)

T Park
04-29-2013, 09:16 PM
Sounds pretty much like the SG version of Kawhi Leonard...

Hope it happens. Spurs need SG badly.

Man In Black
05-04-2013, 01:15 AM
I think bringing Franklin is would be a steal for San Antonio.

Richie
05-23-2013, 02:41 PM
Listed at #30 on NBA.com Mock Draft. Even though SG isn't really a positional need, I can see the Spurs taking him if he's still on the board.

Dingle Barry
05-24-2013, 02:27 PM
Even though SG isn't really a positional need...

How do you figure? Neal is out and Manu is looking washed up. Time to find Manu's replacement imo.

Richie
05-24-2013, 03:40 PM
How do you figure? Neal is out and Manu is looking washed up. Time to find Manu's replacement imo.

I'm actually undecided. I think Green and Manu is enough for a SG rotation but Manus health is an issue. I think a more pressing need is a backup 3 and a PF/C to give Duncan rest. If Manu misses games we can put Kawhi at the 2 and a new guy at the 3. If we were to draft Franklin, he'd ride the pine whenever Manu and Green are both healthy and we'd still need a backup 3.

I don't think we'll be able to find a Manu replacement at #28, but you never know.

pad300
05-24-2013, 04:05 PM
A 2/3 who has a A/TO ratio of 0.96, shot 28% from the 3, and 40.4% overall...As a quick comparisons, DG in his last college season: 41.8 3FG%, 47.1 FG%, and A/TO 1.65. KL 29.1 3FG%, 44.4 FG% and 1.20 A/TO . I don't think he's bringing enough to the table as an offensive player (never mind as a Manu replacement).

Also, he was playing 4 for a fair bit of this season - which exaggerates his rebounding - as a 2/3 he would have a much worse starting position...

Richie
05-24-2013, 05:51 PM
San Diego play with a 4 guard lineup so he had to get those boards you're right. His efficiency stats are a bit unfair because he was often asked to create all the offence himself for the Aztecs.

TrainOfThought5
05-24-2013, 08:55 PM
he wont be ready to play out the box like Kawhi. so while Manu is finishing his decline and Nando whines his way out and Pop realizes that Neals defensive shortcomings are insurmountable, there will be a gaping 2 guard hole for him to grow into.

exstatic
05-25-2013, 06:15 AM
he wont be ready to play out the box like Kawhi. so while Manu is finishing his decline and Nando whines his way out and Pop realizes that Neals defensive shortcomings are insurmountable, there will be a gaping 2 guard hole for him to grow into.

If he could work with and absorb from Chip as quickly as Kawhi did, he can ABSOLUTELY play out of the box. He has everything but a jumper.

TrainOfThought5
05-25-2013, 06:23 AM
If he could work with and absorb from Chip as quickly as Kawhi did, he can ABSOLUTELY play out of the box. He has everything but a jumper.

I think we can both comfortably agree that a "jumper" from your two guard requires more than a standstill corner 3. Kawhis improvement is not the norm.

exstatic
05-25-2013, 09:09 AM
I think we can both comfortably agree that a "jumper" from your two guard requires more than a standstill corner 3. Kawhis improvement is not the norm.

That's all Kawhi did his rookie season, and he played because he could D up. So can Franklin.

The new "hot quantity" in the NBA is the "3 and D guy". All that guy has to be able to do is defend and knock down spot up 3s. With a little shot work, Franklin could easily be that guy, and step right in. Green has done admirably, but his contract is winding down, and we'll need to develop a replacement before he likely rolls off in two years.

pad300
05-25-2013, 11:30 AM
That's all Kawhi did his rookie season, and he played because he could D up. So can Franklin.

The new "hot quantity" in the NBA is the "3 and D guy". All that guy has to be able to do is defend and knock down spot up 3s. With a little shot work, Franklin could easily be that guy, and step right in. Green has done admirably, but his contract is winding down, and we'll need to develop a replacement before he likely rolls off in two years.

1) 3 and D guys are useful, yes, but there is a limit to the number of them you want on the floor, and by extension, on your team. Also, you don't draft guys like that, you get them out of the D-league, or undrafted, or from overseas.

2) Green's contract is not winding down. This is the first year of his new contract... Which according to Sham Sports takes him to 2015.

benefactor
05-25-2013, 02:34 PM
It's likely he won't make it to the Spurs pick, but I'd be for taking him. Manu will be gone soon and the only other real SG left on the roster is Green. It's time get another legit prospect in the pipeline.

There are two things about this kid that make him valuable. First, is his motor. This being cited as his best asset is huge because a motor is something that's instinctive and can only be taught to a point. He is not going to need to be pushed to do anything...he will do it on his own. This was a big thing that was appealing about Leonard(a quote from his draft profile said the most intriguing thing about him was his "unique physical profile and terrific effort he gives on every possession) and what makes him so valuable beyond his personality. Guys with that kind of motor are always looking to make plays...as evidenced by him leading his team in a number of statistical categories on both ends. It's the difference between the guy that stays in the D-League and the guy that hones his craft and becomes a player in this league. Think Cory Joseph(though I don't see Franklin needing as much developmental time).

The other is rebounding. This is another thing that can only be taught to a point. Timing, instincts and awareness on the glass are things that players who are naturally gifted rebounders all have without being shown how or pushed to do it. They are always thinking about it and will crash the boards automatically as soon as the opposing team shoots. A guard sized player that averages almost nine and a half boards per game is without a doubt a natural rebounder. This fits perfectly with the Spurs "all hands on deck" approach to hitting the glass and can be the difference in getting a possession for the team or allowing the other team to have another possession/offensive board leading to a put back. No one would be doing anything on the offensive glass against the Spurs with Leonard and Franklin both on the floor looking to constantly help clean it up.

I agree with exstatic about the shooting. Leonard and Franklin's 3pt shooting were almost identical their last year of college. I don't see any reason why he can't work with Chip and achieve the same results. Tbh, this kid is the closest thing to the SG version of Leonard that's out there.

jesterbobman
05-25-2013, 03:03 PM
I also think he should be in clear discussion at 28 if he's there. Ideally he'd be able to shoot, but if he could he's not available near 28. He may not turn into a Kawhi type, but there are good SG's who aren't great shooters: Tony Allen and Lance Stephenson are starting SG's in conference finals who you'd be comfortable leaving alone.

I don't think we can count on him developing a 3 point shot, even with effort and Chip, it may not happen. But I'm fairly confident that the effort will be there.

1) 3 and D guys are useful, yes, but there is a limit to the number of them you want on the floor, and by extension, on your team. Also, you don't draft guys like that, you get them out of the D-league, or undrafted, or from overseas.

2) Green's contract is not winding down. This is the first year of his new contract... Which according to Sham Sports takes him to 2015.

I don't get the point of not going after 3 and D guys just because Danny Green was acquired as a free agent. While you don't want 50 on your roster, they're incredibly valuable as role players around a core who do the creative work. I'd rather have an 80% Danny Green than Gary Neal, and the 3 and D guys are limited enough that getting in the draft at anywhere from ~15 down is a win. (The expected value of any pick after ~5) is probably lower than Danny Green. If we got a 3 and D guy at 28 who could be a solid bench player at 1m a year for 4 years, that's a win.

Richie
05-25-2013, 09:18 PM
I don't get the point of not going after 3 and D guys just because Danny Green was acquired as a free agent. While you don't want 50 on your roster, they're incredibly valuable as role players around a core who do the creative work. I'd rather have an 80% Danny Green than Gary Neal, and the 3 and D guys are limited enough that getting in the draft at anywhere from ~15 down is a win. (The expected value of any pick after ~5) is probably lower than Danny Green. If we got a 3 and D guy at 28 who could be a solid bench player at 1m a year for 4 years, that's a win.

I think picking another 3&D guy comes down to Leonard. He has shown flashes of being able to create, but nothing consistently. The reason we need Neal is because our offence would be terrible with Green in there with the bench. If Leonard can start creating more offensively we can use with another 3&D guy, if not we won't have enough offence to be able to play him in serious minutes.

exstatic
05-26-2013, 12:59 PM
I think picking another 3&D guy comes down to Leonard. He has shown flashes of being able to create, but nothing consistently. The reason we need Neal is because our offence would be terrible with Green in there with the bench. If Leonard can start creating more offensively we can use with another 3&D guy, if not we won't have enough offence to be able to play him in serious minutes.

Next year? Sure, but you have him for four years as a first rounder. I assure you that he will play and develop in four years. I also assure you that Manu won't be here in four years. We need to start thinking about down the road, and the next phase.

Jamall is also more than just a 3 and D guy, although he can use that, like Kawhi did, to get onto the floor. The reason he is rocketing up the draft board is his multi-pronged skillset.

Richie
05-26-2013, 01:08 PM
Next year? Sure, but you have him for four years as a first rounder. I assure you that he will play and develop in four years. I also assure you that Manu won't be here in four years. We need to start thinking about down the road, and the next phase.

Jamall is also more than just a 3 and D guy, although he can use that, like Kawhi did, to get onto the floor. The reason he is rocketing up the draft board is his multi-pronged skillset.

You're probably right. However, if we're looking for players who will be pieces on a post-Duncan Spurs, I think we should be looking to take the best player available regardless of position/skillset.

exstatic
05-26-2013, 01:12 PM
You're probably right. However, if we're looking for players who will be pieces on a post-Duncan Spurs, I think we should be looking to take the best player available regardless of position/skillset.

True, and I always beat that drum.

Zocalo
06-23-2013, 02:36 PM
Well I think we need to seriously start looking for a SG given how little Manu contributed these finals. I personally like Franklin due to his length, rebounding and overall demeanor. We need a guy to be a spark plug off the bench if Manu just doesn't have it anymore.

rasuo214
06-23-2013, 06:11 PM
Great athlete, wingspan, motor and he can rebound. The negatives are his shooting and his personality may not fit the Spurs mold (certainly isn't like Kawhi in that respect). He's the type of player that gets under the skin of the opposing team/fans and sort of enjoys the role of the villain. There's also a question of whether his game will translate to the NBA. If you were able to mix aspects of Franklin's game with Snell's you'd have a top 5 pick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQjrhhZPESE

BackHome
06-23-2013, 06:34 PM
He has upside he plays defense and is a very good defender - rebounds- blocks shots. Questions about his attitude and can he play within a team and not play hero ball. But hey the guy can dribble the ball which is a lot more then some of our players on this team.

benefactor
06-23-2013, 07:11 PM
Of the pool of available players close to where the Spurs are picking, he's the one I want the most. You can afford to take a bit of a risk on the shooting when you have a player that impacts the game in so many other ways.

exstatic
06-23-2013, 07:43 PM
I think, if he falls, that this might be the only college kid they would draft at 28. I think he'll be gone, though.

MannyIsGod
06-24-2013, 01:50 PM
Oh man - I know I'm biased but the comments in this thread are cringeworthy. He's not Kawhi Lenoard at all. AT ALL. He's a whiny hothead. He's got absolutely no jumper and he's somewhat athletic. I was happy when the Spurs picked Kawhi. I'm absolutely sure that picking Jamal Franklin is a waste of a pick. At least in the first round.

Captivus
06-24-2013, 01:53 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1682723-2013-nba-draft-playing-boom-or-bust-with-top-incoming-prospects/page/7

Jamaal Franklin is bound to succeed in the NBA because he can contribute to his team's cause in so many different ways. Need the San Diego State product to morph into a scorer? Sure, no problem!
He averaged 16.9 points per game during his final season in college, showing off a nice inside-outside blend with his ability to attack the rim in transition and drill three-pointers in the half-court set. Franklin's perimeter shooting could still use a lot of work, but he's also added more post moves to his arsenal as his collegiate career progressed.
Need the San Diego State product to morph into a defender? Sure, no problem!
Franklin has steadily improved as a perimeter defender, and he actually led the Mountain West in both defensive rating and defensive win shares during the 2012-13 season. He has the athletic tools and lateral quickness necessary to be a premier point-stopper at the next level.
Need the San Diego State product to morph into a rebounder or glue guy? Sure, no problem!
Even at just 6'5", Franklin thrived on the glass thanks to his inexhaustible motor. He averaged 9.5 rebounds per game for the Aztecs, often displaying the instincts necessary to anticipate exactly where the ball would end up.
You name it, and this versatile forward can do it.

Prediction: Boom

DesignatedT
06-24-2013, 02:17 PM
Great athleticism, motor, defender.

Lacks shooting but I'm not overly worried about that. Doesn't seem to have great handles or ball handling ability. Lacks court vision. Not sure he fits in with that we need.

rasuo214
06-24-2013, 02:46 PM
Oh man - I know I'm biased but the comments in this thread are cringeworthy. He's not Kawhi Lenoard at all. AT ALL. He's a whiny hothead. He's got absolutely no jumper and he's somewhat athletic. I was happy when the Spurs picked Kawhi. I'm absolutely sure that picking Jamal Franklin is a waste of a pick. At least in the first round.

Personality wise? Yes they are completely different, but Franklin has a great motor/work ethic, is a good rebounder, can defend and has a great wingspan, also his biggest weakness is his jumper just like Kawhi.