PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent*: Michael Finley

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 09:42 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_michael_finley.jpghttp://www.nba.com/mavericks/images/mavericks_logo.gif

Michael Finley | 4
Position: G-F
Born: Mar 6, 1973
Height: 6-7 / 2,01
Weight: 225 lbs. / 102,1 kg.
College : Wisconsin '95

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/michael_finley/index.html)

(*If, as has been reported, the Mavs make use of the special feature of the new collective bargaining agreement and waive Michael Finley in order to reduce their luxury tax burden, he will become a free agent.) He would be an awesome addition to the Spurs' bench. At age 32, he has plenty of game left and hopefully a desire to beatdown the Mavs all the time. He'd be great, almost ideal, to have coming off the bench for 20 to 25 minutes a night at the 3 spot.

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 09:47 AM
If the Spurs could sign Scola using the LLE then the Spurs could perhaps offer their entire MLE to Finley. The MLE will be the most that any contender will have to offer Finley.

xcoriate
07-05-2005, 10:00 AM
Hes pretty washed up though... The whole MLE might be overkill... would be a sweet spot up shooter off the bench.

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 10:01 AM
"washed up"?

spursupporter
07-05-2005, 10:04 AM
very likely won't be a spurs in this lifetime

DarrinS
07-05-2005, 10:05 AM
I think Finley is getting a little old. He's only a role player now. I've always thought he was a good player, but he may be past his prime.

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 10:06 AM
Hmmm...then who are the Spurs going to find that's better as a backup 3? You do realize that the Spurs are looking for quality role players at this point, no?

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 10:11 AM
Given the Spurs' cap situation, guys like Glenn Robinson, Toni Kukoc, Linton Johnson III, and Finley will be considered.

Sorry Spurs fans, the Spurs aren't going to be able to add an in his prime All-Star at every roster spot.

Extra Stout
07-05-2005, 10:12 AM
Finley is a better fit on other teams. He's not going to come to San Antonio for spot minutes, which is all he would get.

td4mvp21
07-05-2005, 10:36 AM
What about him and Bowen? They don't like each other. Other than that, I'd love to have him, he's a great shooter, especially at midrange where we need help at.

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 10:53 AM
If Finley was a Spur he would get more than spot minutes.

Dex
07-05-2005, 10:54 AM
Besides, didn't we go through this already?

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 10:54 AM
No.

Dex
07-05-2005, 10:56 AM
...yes?

http://spurstalk.com/forums/search.php?searchid=68582

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20589&highlight=finley

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20687&highlight=finley

Not hating, I just know this horse has already been beaten to a second death. No reason to go for three.

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 11:00 AM
Sure there is. He'll be a free agent so he should have a free agent thread. If we wanted to limit discussions to one thread this forum would have only one page.

Dex
07-05-2005, 11:05 AM
He's already got two, but eh...I really don't care enough to pretend like that matters.

I guess I'm posting in this thread, too. So I'm just as guilty as everyone else. :lol

At least it gives me something to fill the time with.

Extra Stout
07-05-2005, 11:23 AM
If Finley was a Spur he would get more than spot minutes.Not until he learns the defensive system, he won't. He's not exactly reknowned as a "quick learner," if you catch my drift. And even then he's competing for the same share of minutes as Barry and Brown, unless one of them gets moved.

If you're the Spurs, shoot yeah why not add a guy like Finley to the bench? He's instant offense. But Finley has better options. I can't imagine he'd give SA more than the token polite response.

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 11:28 AM
I don't think Pop would have a problem reducing one of those two's minutes to make room. Glenn Robinson suddenly learned how to D up in SA. I don't think it'll be a prob for Finley.

batman2883
07-05-2005, 11:29 AM
Not until he learns the defensive system, he won't. He's not exactly reknowned as a "quick learner," if you catch my drift. And even then he's competing for the same share of minutes as Barry and Brown, unless one of them gets moved.

If you're the Spurs, shoot yeah why not add a guy like Finley to the bench? He's instant offense. But Finley has better options. I can't imagine he'd give SA more than the token polite response.

You're right, he probably will get oppurtunities to start elsewhere, however, if Finley wants to win a championship and beat down Dallas for cutting him in the process. San Antonio would be his best option, coming off the bench as a role player doesnt hurt if you know that ring will come at the end of the season, Glenn Robinson sucked it up, Brent Barry Sucked it up, Karl Malone learned the hard way. If he had sucked up being Duncan's back up, he'd be basking in the glory of finally getting a championship.

Extra Stout
07-05-2005, 11:40 AM
I don't think Pop would have a problem reducing one of those two's minutes to make room. Glenn Robinson suddenly learned how to D up in SA. I don't think it'll be a prob for Finley.Glenn played on an emergency basis because Devin Brown was injured. He adopted the mindset but never learned the system. You also realize Glenn won't be back.

Popovich does not give out minutes based upon who somebody is. Pop does not defer to players. He never, ever has. Players must defer to Pop, and maybe two or three years down the road he'll throw you a bone. He gives out minutes based upon performance, and on the Spurs that means defense. It also means ball movement, which is not Finley's strong suit.

Finley would be treated like Barry. When Barry struggled with the defensive sets, he sat down. When Barry took shots outside the flow of the offense, he sat down. Eventually Finley would get it and be productive, but I just don't think he'd be willing to put up with Pop for 2/3 of the season to figure it out.

A big reason Finley may leave Dallas is because he's unwilling to accept a drastically reduced role there anyway. if I'm Michael Finley, SA is not a very comfortable or appealing opportunity. I'd rather go catch Steve Nash's passes and shoot quick jumpers in Phoenix for 20 minutes a night in a place where I'm comfortable and have a history, than go someplace where some Slavic dude is screaming at me about moving my feet on defense and I'm fighting for my minutes in an unfamilar environment against guys who have a year's edge on me in learning the system.

Dex
07-05-2005, 11:44 AM
I believe the Beerman speaks the truth.

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 11:46 AM
The Spurs' defensive rotations are more complex than the average team's, but not exactly rocket science. Finley has the ability to play D better than anyone else among those available to the Spurs.

As for Finley's preference, your guess is as good as mine. Sure, Devin beat out Barry and had he not been injured he would've had most of Barry's playoff minutes. Finley's a competitor, much more than you give him credit for being.

I don't see Finley as being as incorrigible as he's made out to be. Nowitzki's turning into a bit of an ass himself in Big D. Finley's assuming the role of fall guy for the Mavs' losing Nash.

Dex
07-05-2005, 11:49 AM
Micheal is definitely a competitor, no doubt aboout that. I love how Finley was probably the Mavericks most consistent playoff performer this year, and yet he still got the blame when they couldn't get past the Suns.

Nobody worry about the fact that Nowitzki turned into Charmin for the first 5 games.

Kori Ellis
07-05-2005, 11:51 AM
Finley is coming off ankle surgery and has chronic hamstring problems. I'm just wondering what he'll really be able to do on the court this season.

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 11:52 AM
I will add that back in 2001 when the Spurs were looking at max free agents that Finley was near the top, if not at the top of the list. Apparently they didn't have any problems with his attitude then. Finley would get to continue to play in a no income tax state, close to his Dallas home, join a serious contender and have an opportunity to stick it to Cuban and those great Mavs' fans in their own backyard...

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 11:54 AM
Also, what did the Suns agree to sign Bell for? I don't believe that they will have their full MLE.

ALVAREZ6
07-05-2005, 11:54 AM
:lol
We're getting pretty damn greedy here...

Spurs: Manu, TD, TP, Barry, Bowen, Horry, Devin, Scola (most likely) ...and yet we beg for more...

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 11:55 AM

Spurs: Manu, TD, TP, Barry, Bowen, Horry, Devin, Scola (most likely) ...and yet we beg for more...

If he's available, why not?

Dex
07-05-2005, 11:55 AM
This is America, after all.

ALVAREZ6
07-05-2005, 11:56 AM
If he's available, why not?
I don't think Finly is the type of guy that wants to come to a team and play off the bench for like 10 mins a game.

Extra Stout
07-05-2005, 11:57 AM
The Spurs' defensive rotations are more complex than the average team's, but not exactly rocket science. Finley has the ability to play D better than anyone else among those available to the Spurs.

As for Finley's preference, your guess is as good as mine. Sure, Devin beat out Barry and had he not been injured he would've had most of Barry's playoff minutes. Finley's a competitor, much more than you give him credit for being.

I don't see Finley as being as incorrigible as he's made out to be. Nowitzki's turning into a bit of an ass himself in Big D. Finley's assuming the role of fall guy for the Mavs' losing Nash.See, I don't think the Spurs are looking to do much in the free agent market in the first place, so I don't see it as relevant how Finley compares to others "available." I compare him to the existing guys with whom the staff is relatively pleased. Their top offseason priority appears to be Luis Scola, and free agency is just a hedge in case that falls through. They may add somebody who can bring the ball upcourt against a halfcourt trap without turning it over, since Beno apparently can't do that.

Other than that, this promises to be a pretty boring summer.

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 11:57 AM
If he's in SA he gets 20 and Barry gets 10.

ALVAREZ6
07-05-2005, 11:59 AM
If he's in SA he gets 20 and Barry gets 10.
It's not gonna happen.

I'll bet all my vbookie that Finley will not be a Spur next year.

Extra Stout
07-05-2005, 12:00 PM
If he's in SA he gets 20 and Barry gets 10.If he's in SA he gets 20 and Barry gets traded.

But it's all academic. Won't happen.

batman2883

You can never have too much

Marcus Bryant
See, I don't think the Spurs are looking to do much in the free agent market in the first place, so I don't see it as relevant how Finley compares to others "available." I compare him to the existing guys with whom the staff is relatively pleased. Their top offseason priority appears to be Luis Scola, and free agency is just a hedge in case that falls through. They may add somebody who can bring the ball upcourt against a halfcourt trap without turning it over, since Beno apparently can't do that.

Other than that, this promises to be a pretty boring summer.

The Spurs are in the market for a backup 3. They know they need a little more size out on the perimeter. Beyond that, the Spurs are somewhat opportunistic when it comes to adding vet role players. They signed Glenn Robinson when nobody was expecting it. Perhaps coming into this offseason they weren't expecting to do much (and I'll grant you that with Horry & Brown re-signed along with Scola coming in that there isn't a lot of room) but if a Finley becomes available in your price range, do you turn that down? I don't see it. The Spurs are too opportunistic to turn an opportunity like that down.

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 12:01 PM
If he's in SA he gets 20 and Barry gets traded.

But it's all academic. Won't happen.

Then Barry gets 15. Signing Glenn Robinson was academic too...

Extra Stout
07-05-2005, 12:21 PM
Then Barry gets 15. Signing Glenn Robinson was academic too...They signed Glenn Robinson because Devin Brown was hurt and they weren't sure what they might get from him in the postseason. It was a low-risk transaction, completely unlike signing a player to a multi-year MLE deal.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not going to complain if the Spurs pick up Michael Finley. I don't think he's a huge priority for them, but it wouldn't exactly suck to have that firepower off the bench. But I don't think he's going to fall into their laps.

Finley's best bet would be to take the starting job in Denver. He could also take Jim Jackson's spot in Phoenix, or join the Miami Heat or Indiana Pacers. He's a better fit on any of those teams than he is in San Antonio.

P.S. The Mavericks are trying hard to trade Finley to the Eastern Conference so he doesn't pull a Steve Nash on them in the 2006 playoffs.

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 12:29 PM
No doubt that a sticking point with them trading Finley is the salary they have to take back and the possibility that Finley could be had without giving up anything in a couple of weeks. Sure, that means more potential competition in free agency for the Spurs. Still, I think the Spurs can make an attractive offer to him.

As for Barry, I don't see the Spurs trading him should he lose his spot in the rotation. Sure, if a good deal comes along he'd be moved. But Pop does like having vet depth.

As for Glenn Robinson, that was totally unexpected even considering Devin's back injury.

Gino2882
07-05-2005, 12:31 PM
Apparently he is gonna go to the Suns. I hope he doesnt because that makes the Suns really good.

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 12:35 PM
Any source for that speculation?

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-05-2005, 12:39 PM
No one's going to trade for Finley's massive contract.

They're going to wait for him to become a FA and then try and compete with everyone else using MLE money.

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 12:40 PM
In addition, the Mavs would have to find someone who can send them back expiring contracts or contracts with fewer years left on them so that it's worth it to them to forgo the benefit of waiving him under the 'one time' rule...

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 12:42 PM
According to this the Suns will be using their MLE to sign Bell.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0702sunsbell0702.html

Suns lure Bell to help improve 'D' on perimeter
Free-agent deal is likely 5 years

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Jul. 2, 2005 12:00 AM

The Suns were as smooth as a jazz quintet last season but couldn't sustain their 62-win riff through the playoffs.

The team agreed to terms with free-agent shooting guard Raja Bell on Friday, after trading for Kurt Thomas on Tuesday.

Bell, 28, is expected to sign a five-year contract averaging $4 million to $6 million per season. The deal can't be signed until July 22.

Bell is likely to come off the bench, but he is a faster wing player than former starter Quentin Richardson, who was traded to acquire Thomas. He also shoots well and gives the Suns a better defensive presence against players such as San Antonio's Manu Ginobili.

"I'm elated to have an opportunity to come there and play with that cast," Bell said. "I think I can add to an already great team. I just want to come in and help, whatever it takes."

Bell is known for tenacious defense but has improved his shooting in recent years. He hit 40.3 percent of his three-point tries in Utah last season as a part-time starter and co-captain, averaging a career-high 12.2 points.

Utah wanted to re-sign him, but he reacted quickly when Phoenix offered most or all of its $5.1 million midlevel salary-cap exception. Bell was seeking long-term security, coming off a two-year deal that paid him $1,320,000 last season.

"It was refreshing for me, as a fan of the game, to see (the Suns' style)," he said. "I hated to play against it, because you have to run all night."

Bell, a Virgin Islands native who moved to Miami in eighth grade, went undrafted in 1999 out of Florida International, where he transferred after two years at Boston University.

He played in the International Basketball League and the Continental Basketball Association before the Philadelphia 76ers signed him to a 10-day contract in April 2001.

Like his defense, Bell stuck. The grit with which he guarded Ray Allen and Kobe Bryant in the 2001 playoffs, when the 76ers reached the Finals, earned him a reputation.

"I'm defensive-minded," Bell said. "Things will fall in place for me offensively on a team like (Phoenix), because there's too many opportunities on the court. I'm going to focus on bringing the defense."

Bell's offense began to develop in 2002-03, when he was a teammate of Steve Nash's in Dallas.

Nash's presence struck a chord for Bell when Phoenix came calling.

"He's been one of the best teammates I've had, staying in touch and rooting for me from afar," Bell said. "That meant a lot to me."

Bell started 32 of 63 games he played last season, his second as a Jerry Sloan favorite in Utah, and he said he won't mind being a reserve for the Suns.

"With the way they play, I'm not really concerned with it," Bell said. "If they deem me a guy off the bench, I'm gung-ho. Let's go get a ring."

Bell's signing makes it less likely that the Suns will keep center Steven Hunter, who has said he wants more than the exception that would pay $1.6 million to $1.7 million. That probably is the most Phoenix has left to offer after Bell's deal.

Extra Stout
07-05-2005, 12:49 PM
The Suns speculation is there because Finley used to play in Phoenix, and of course he's had years of experience playing with Nash.

Frankly I think Denver is the best fit. He could make a real difference for them since they got zero production from the 2-guard spot and won 49 games anyway.

Gino2882
07-05-2005, 12:52 PM
What about Steven Hunter? He would allow Rasho to be moved and provide a center for the future.

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 12:54 PM
Denver is a definite possibility. They do play a style that Finley is used to, yet the Spurs can potentially offer the same money with fewer minutes required and a better shot at winning titles, closer to his home in Dallas and no state income tax...

Gino2882
07-05-2005, 12:59 PM
What about Gerald Wallace? As a backup SF and possible Bowen replacement?

Extra Stout
07-05-2005, 01:15 PM
Denver is a definite possibility. They do play a style that Finley is used to, yet the Spurs can potentially offer the same money with fewer minutes required and a better shot at winning titles, closer to his home in Dallas and no state income tax...In SA he's gravy-training. In Denver, he's starting, and if they break out, he's the guy that put them over the top...

Dallas to Denver is barely an hour's flight.

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 01:27 PM
Southwest has 12 flights a day or whatever to Big D and he'd spend more time taxiing to and fro the terminal than in the air. I know, I know, private jet...

Extra Stout
07-05-2005, 01:31 PM
Southwest has 12 flights a day or whatever to Big D and he'd spend more time taxiing to and fro the terminal than in the air. I know, I know, private jet...Great... now I'm envisioning Michael Finley crammed into a coach seat on a Southwest Airlines flight, fumbling with that little bag of peanuts... :lol

"Miss? Excuse me, miss... can I have another gin and juice?"

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-05-2005, 06:27 PM
Hmm, Phoenix letting Steven Hunter go? I hope RC is paying attention...