PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Draft Prospect: Reggie Bullock

Bruno
02-28-2013, 11:24 AM
http://nbccollegebasketballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/spt-120318-reggie-bullock.jpg?w=320
Height: 6-5
Weight: 205 lbs
Birthday: 03/16/1991
College: North Carolina

DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Reggie-Bullock-5212/)
NBADraft (http://www.nbadraft.net/players/reggie-bullock)

Mal
03-08-2013, 07:35 PM
He`ll stay

Captivus
05-09-2013, 07:30 PM
This guy (SF) looks like Spurs material, according to his scouting video:
Strenghts:
- Perimeter shooting: - 2nd best SF in 3P% (Top 100 DX) - Spot up shooter - Catch and shoot
- Willing defender: Defended opponents top perimeter scorer in almost every game
- Attacks the glass: 5th best SF in Off Reb and 4th in Def. Reb
- Role player potential: Unselfish, makes smart plays, 3PT, very low TOs (bottom 10 in Top 100)
Runs the floor hard, good in transition.

The weaknesses:
- Very limited ball handling
- Mid Range
- Explosiveness
- Strenght
All those weaknesses combine for a bad layup player, specially in traffic, not a dunker, and cant stop to shoot the mid range.

This is the kind of player that the Spurs could draft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYP6kMVsec0

FirebatMIV
05-10-2013, 11:57 PM
So he's a younger Danny Green?

jesterbobman
05-11-2013, 12:37 AM
He's a good 3&D option, which means he'll play a role somewhere. Guys who can do both are in short supply.

DMFG
05-11-2013, 03:49 AM
I've watched every game he's ever played in a Tar Heel uniform. Same with Danny. I have a good idea of how they compare at the same stage. Have to remember though, Danny was almost out of the league as soon as he got there. It took advice, retooling his game, and a lot of hard work (and luck) to stick.

Offense:
Bullock is a coaches' type of player. The guy who seems to come up with offensive rebounds, is on the floor for loose balls, passes up an open shot for a better shot, sets hard screens, etc... That's Bullock. He's really a throwback type of player in that regard and reminded me a lot of those 70's Dean Smith type of players. Danny was the guy who never saw a shot he didn't like and made riskier plays in general. There's a reason why he didn't start until his senior season, and that was largely due to a injury at the starting position he played.

Both of their roles on offense were similar; essentially to spread the floor. Not much was asked from either to do anything other than that and the normal offensive things all players need to do in Roy Williams' offense. However, Danny was always the third option, at most, and was never given a chance to be more than that. Bullock was the third option last season, only due to his ... for the lack of a better word... inability to step up to be more than that. There was a point early in the season where the team didn't have a #1, or #2 for that matter, and whenever Bullock tried to play out of his comfort zone (forcing some bad shots) to be that guy, he was just not very good. He's a role player, and was a damn good college one at that. Don't expect a budding star who was held back in college is all I'm saying. I would be shocked.

Overlook his freshman stats. He was recovering from a high school injury which took a good chunk of his explosiveness away, then his dear grandmother died, then he had another injury that ended his season. It was a giant shit storm for him. From his sophomore season on, particularly last year, he showed why he was considered to be arguably the top shooter in his class. He's a more consistent shooter than Danny ever was in college. In fact, last year he was probably the most consistent outside shooter I have seen at UNC in a long while. Not quite the range Danny had if that matters at all, although Bullock has shown some NBA range. He's incredibly skilled at those corner 3pters.

As for the rest of his offensive game... He's a smart, not necessarily talented passer. I'd say above average playmaker. His handle is very weak, he's not a very creative finisher, and he never dunks the balls. I have seen him have a 1 on 0 fastbreak and he laid if off the glass like a layup drill. He had somewhat a post game and a floater in high school. It never showed it's face in college if it's still there. To be fair, the spot up shooter role was what he settled on at UNC. He's not good, probably not even average, off the dribble but he also barely ever attempted to try. He showed a little towards the end of last season and was decently successful. However, his handle in traffic will be a problem in the NBA. I'm sure of it. He does move well off the ball.

Defense:
IMO, he was one of the premier defensive players in the country the last two seasons.

He's not a great ball denial defender, but he does do a very good job at contesting jump shots. I watched the DraftExpress evaluation (which I agree with nearly all of) and I thought they overexaggerated his lack of footspeed. Bullock is a 6-7, long, and he moves his feet very well for his size. There were only two times last season I remember him having trouble on defense: once was against Seth Curry in the game in Chapel Hill. To be fair, the entire team didn't show up and he did a good job on Curry in the first meeting. The other time was against Joe Harris of UVA. Harris... Well he reminds me of Steph Curry on offense. Very crafty, makes weird shots, and is superb off the ball.

Green is a better at denial while Bullock is better at contesting at the same stage. Bullock is taller, I'm pretty sure longer, and moves his feet better. Green is clearly a better overall athlete. Something he (Danny) became famous for at UNC was the chase down block, a la LeBron James. Bullock can't do that.

Along with his offensive rebounding prowess, he's equally as good on the defensive glass. Bullock boxes out and he seems to have a nose for where the ball will end up. I spoke to a former UNC team manager and he said Bullock is probably the best rebounding guard he's ever seen at UNC. For the length I have watched this program, I have to agree.

I do think Bullock will have trouble with overly strong wing players and perhaps guys like Monta Ellis, the ultra quick combo guards. Other than that, I don't see much of a problem for him defensively in the NBA. Over the past couple seasons I have seen him shutdown or defend at a high level: Ben McLemore, Scott Wood, Erick Green, and Austin Rivers. Which if you know how those players play, it's a rather wide variety of offensive playing styles.

Intangibles and measurables:
I went over most of this already. Bullock is a very intelligent player. A site I visit charts breakdowns and other advanced statistics and Bullock pretty much never makes mistakes. It's extremely impressive how efficient of a player he has become in North Carolina's fast paced system. He has great natural basketball instincts and understands how to play the game. Bullock has high character, is a good teammate, improved as a vocal leader when his role increased, and all that other nice stuff.

To be honest, not sure about that "clutch factor". Danny Green, even when he came off the bench, had a knack for hitting and taking big shots. For the most part, Bullock never was really put in that situation. There was always Barnes, or Marshall, or Hairston in front of him wanting that ball when the team needed a score. He did, however, hit a huge 3 in the Sweet 16 game against Ohio in the 2012 NCAA Tournament. I believe UNC was down 1 with about 40 seconds left. It was right after Marshall went down and the team was really lost without him. Bullock stepped up his game and went for (had to check stats) 17 points, 10 rebounds, and 5 assists. And that game went to OT so the Heels needed every single one of those positive plays. I suppose he can rise to occasion and didn't have the opportunity to show it due to situational purposes.

As far as the measurables go, as I mentioned before, Danny is a better overall athlete. Bullock mostly makes due on his basketball IQ and superior size for the position. Obviously it won't be nearly as effective in the NBA, although 6-7 is still quite tall for an NBA SG. He's not remotely explosive. I still believe he has above average quickness on defense and he does seem to have long arms.

Projection:
Cards on the table, I don't think he should have left college after his junior year. He's not an early entry player and he's most certainly not one at UNC where the players simply don't leave early unless they are 99.9% sure they will be first round picks, if not in the lottery. I can tell you Roy Williams and Bullock didn't see eye to eye with this decision.

I don't believe his upside is particularly high and I expect him to be a second round draft pick. However, his perimeter shooting, defensive ability, and how he will, in likelihood, flawlessly fit in any system should prove to be appealing to a playoff squad. Actually as I watched his college career unfold, I always thought he was perfect fit for the Chicago Bulls or the Spurs.

I expect a Danny Green-type of role in the NBA. If he improves his handle, then maybe a ceiling of Arron Afflalo. If he doesn't, and he has A LOT of work to do in that area, then something like current Shane Battier. Hopefully he ends up on a team with a strong system or I could potentially see him out of the league if he ended up on a team like the Kings. Once again, I have a suspicion that his skill set is something more geared for a playoff squad and that's likely the situation where he will be the most effective.

Captivus
05-11-2013, 09:55 AM
As far as the measurables go, as I mentioned before, Danny is a better overall athlete. Bullock mostly makes due on his basketball IQ and superior size for the position. Obviously it won't be nearly as effective in the NBA, although 6-7 is still quite tall for an NBA SG. He's not remotely explosive. I still believe he has above average quickness on defense and he does seem to have long arms.

Nice read, it seems you really know this guy.
Do you assume he will play SG and not SF in the NBA?

DesignatedT
05-31-2013, 12:43 AM
Probasketballdraft ‏@Probballdraft 16 May
Reggie bullock work outs lined up with spurs. Feels like a great fit.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

spurs108
06-26-2013, 09:13 PM
Was just picked to go to us in NBA TV's Mock Draft at #28, for what it's worth.

Duncanoypi
06-26-2013, 09:14 PM
In NBAtv mock draft, spurs selected this guy.

benefactor
06-26-2013, 09:21 PM
He won't fall that far

SamoanTD
06-26-2013, 09:23 PM
Spurs probably grab this guy I like that he cleans the glass very well.

SamoanTD
06-26-2013, 09:24 PM
Nobody thinks anyone will fall past pick #27 tbh

Buddy Holly
06-26-2013, 09:48 PM

There's 32 players that for sure won't fall past 27.

SamoanTD
06-26-2013, 09:51 PM
There's 32 players that for sure won't fall past 27.
Seems legit

DesignatedT
06-26-2013, 11:39 PM
I like this kid. Don't think hell drop but seems like a good fit.

benefactor
06-27-2013, 07:12 AM
No one worthwhile will. Most of these guys in the 20's won't make it in the league anyway.

SamoanTD
06-27-2013, 09:20 AM
No one worthwhile will. Most of these guys in the 20's won't make it in the league anyway.
I'm just saying that if one of these guys don't drop someone else will, but everyone seems to think there are only 27 prospects in this draft and the other gm's will pick perfectly.