PDA

View Full Version : From Mark Stein 'chat' on ESPN.com

GhostofAlfrederickHughes
07-05-2005, 12:01 PM
Neil - San Antonio: Will the Spurs re-sign Horry? Will Luis Scola be coming over to SA and what becomes of Rasho?

http://espn.starwave.com/i/sn2.gif Marc Stein: (12:08 PM ET ) Horry will be back. Scola is still a maybe. Look for the Spurs to try to sign another Argentinean (Fabricio Oberto) if Scola's contract is too expensive. As for Rasho, he's future trade material. The Spurs are facing a down-the-line choice between Nazr and Rasho and I'd expect them to choose Nazr.

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 12:02 PM
Yeah, Oberto is leverage for negotiating a buyout with Tau.

Sense
07-05-2005, 12:03 PM
Hahahaha, yeap...

this guy knows his stuff...

batman2883
07-05-2005, 12:04 PM
Neil - San Antonio: Will the Spurs re-sign Horry? Will Luis Scola be coming over to SA and what becomes of Rasho?

http://espn.starwave.com/i/sn2.gif Marc Stein: (12:08 PM ET ) Horry will be back. Scola is still a maybe. Look for the Spurs to try to sign another Argentinean (Fabricio Oberto) if Scola's contract is too expensive. As for Rasho, he's future trade material. The Spurs are facing a down-the-line choice between Nazr and Rasho and I'd expect them to choose Nazr.

Yes please for the love of god, please i beg you Spurs head office, trade Rasho.

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 12:07 PM
It's a shame there has to be a choice. The Spurs are blessed with quality depth at one of the toughest spots to fill in the league. Granted, neither is an All-Star, but the combo is pretty damn good all things considered.

But the writing is on the wall. Either Nazr or Rasho will be moved to satisfy Holt Cat.

1Parker1
07-05-2005, 12:17 PM
It's a shame there has to be a choice. The Spurs are blessed with quality depth at one of the toughest spots to fill in the league. Granted, neither is an All-Star, but the combo is pretty damn good all things considered.

But the writing is on the wall. Either Nazr or Rasho will be moved to satisfy Holt Cat.

I agree. There aren't that many great centers in the league. The fact that we have 2 seven footers who are both good and could be potential starters on any other team is great for the Spurs. I wish we didn't have to trade Rasho...

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-05-2005, 12:24 PM
I was one of the first ones here to advocate a trade of Rasho down the road, but I need to go on record that I won't be happy with the move unless we get a starting caliber SF out of the deal.

Gino2882
07-05-2005, 12:33 PM
Just a couple of weeks ago Luis Scola was a slam dunk to be a Spur next year. Now it doesnt look so good. I really hope they can get him over here. He would really bring some youth and excitement to the frontcourt of the Spurs. But, you have to ask yourself is Scola worth the WHOLE MLE? Which is why this has gotta be done with the LLE.

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 12:34 PM
The biggest "need" the Spurs have this offseason is for a prototypical backup small forward. That does not warrant moving Nazr or Rasho this summer. Given that Glenn Robinson may not find free agency that lucrative and/or he may like his role in SA or that the Spurs may be able to address that need via free agency (Kukoc or Finley) I don't really see an impetus to move Rasho sans Holt Cat's wallet...

SWC Bonfire
07-05-2005, 12:34 PM
I was one of the first ones here to advocate a trade of Rasho down the road, but I need to go on record that I won't be happy with the move unless we get a starting caliber SF out of the deal.

As opposed to the ham sandwich that some others have been proposing... :lol

What starting SF would they get that matches salaries?

spvrs
07-05-2005, 12:38 PM

we just won the championship and the guy played like 7 minutes total with a huge contract. that would be like be impressed by advocating trying to resign horry...

I advocate we keep starting Duncan when Scola comes over

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-05-2005, 12:45 PM
Now it doesnt look so good.

The only reason things look "bleak" is because the Spurs are hardballing him into taking the lower level exemption.

SWC Bonfire (good nick BTW) - Pick a team that has a plethora of swing men but no center to speak of.

This was my original list way back in the day...

Golden State Warriors (JRich, Pietrus)
Hawks (Childress, JSmooth)
Memphis (Battier, Miller)
Toronto (MoPete)
Celtics (Jefferson)
Bulls (Deng, Nocioni)
Bucks (Mason)

Gino2882
07-05-2005, 12:51 PM
It would be nice to get Nocioni or Deng, but the Only way the Bulls are interested in Rasho is if they move Eddy.

spvrs
07-05-2005, 12:53 PM
Bulls (Deng, Nocioni)

:lol

Silas had Lebron playing SF... hmmm... they might not sign Ilgauskas -- how about that AHF?

Gino2882
07-05-2005, 12:54 PM
Lebron on the Spurs...I like it.

FromWayDowntown
07-05-2005, 01:06 PM
I wonder if something couldn't materialize between the Spurs and Grizzlies involving Rasho and Battier. Battier would seem to fit the character and intelligence traits that the Spurs look for, plus he's a defensive-minded wing, not unlike Bruce Bowen (plus, he's longer and younger, and is a better offensive player). Memphis has a ton of young vets who play the wings (Battier, Andre Emmett, Brian Cardinal, Dahntay Jones, Mike Miller, and James Posey), and it looks like they're going to lose at least Swift and Wright, which creates a need for a center.

If you could make the numbers work out, it might be a deal that would work for both teams -- I'd think the Grizz would be more willing to part with Battier than with Miller (at least from an on-court perspective) and I don't think the Spurs would be terribly interested in any of the wings other than Miller, Battier, and maybe Posey.

Walton Buys Off Me
07-05-2005, 01:21 PM
Marcus Bryant has about as much business acumen as Oscar the Grouch. Why on Earth would you pay a backup center 7 million dollars a year?!

Yeah Holt is some cheap bastard.....while we're at it, let's renew Massenburg for the full mid-level exception and maybe lock up Sean Marks for another six years.

Hey Marcus, I'm hearing Isiah Thomas is looking for an assistant GM, this might be your big chance to leave Wendy's behind.

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 01:25 PM
Perhaps so, but I'd wager that I have more than you, numbnuts.