PDA

View Full Version : Spurs: how far will the Spurs advance this season?

dunkman
03-02-2013, 01:24 PM
And why?

Discuss . . .

I think they are making the finals this year:
- the Spurs have great defense this year
- TP has become a super star
- Duncan is having a good season too
- the development of Splitter and Kawhi will offset Manu's decline
- there are more options at backup PG
- Pop had all the season to make some adjustments for OKC

Mao Zedong
03-02-2013, 01:26 PM
They'll lose pretty much every single game from here on, and miss the playoffs.

No Parker, No Playoffs.

Brunodf
03-02-2013, 01:27 PM
Health is the key...

CitizenDwayne
03-02-2013, 01:30 PM
Western Conference finals

jeebus
03-02-2013, 01:34 PM
Spurms will be lucky to make the playoffs now

irishock
03-02-2013, 01:37 PM
NBA Finals if Stern doesn't kick in.

TDMVPDPOY
03-02-2013, 01:49 PM
first round exit

PingPong
03-02-2013, 03:00 PM
Rondo alike effect? Without the heroball attacking like crazy, statpadding and losing some valuable possessions, the Spurs will paly better. Like Boston without Rondo. Alas, the attack wich Parker sprained his ankle was pure heroball: the team was already blowing out and the heroball drives like crazy.

Juggity
03-02-2013, 03:07 PM
Rondo alike effect? Without the heroball attacking like crazy, statpadding and losing some valuable possessions, the Spurs will paly better. Like Boston without Rondo. Alas, the attack wich Parker sprained his ankle was pure heroball: the team was already blowing out and the heroball drives like crazy.

Hero ball is a low percentage shot taken in order to receive Kobe-esque accolades from casual fans. A drive to the basket is not hero ball. Especially for a guy like Tony Parker who converts shots in the paint at a ridiculous clip.

Lincoln
03-02-2013, 03:09 PM
Finals

smaka
03-02-2013, 03:13 PM
:lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt2:

#41 Shoot Em Up
03-02-2013, 03:27 PM
Niggas have 26 games remaining before they gone fishing.

Mori Chu
03-02-2013, 05:53 PM
I think they lose in the 2nd round to either the Thunder or Grizz. I think they can beat the Clips, so if they get matched up with the Clip Show, they could get to WCF. But in WCF against either OKC or MEM I think they go down. Too old and slow; Timmah and Manu can't bring it every game any more. They have reloaded with some nice bench pieces like Kahwi and Splitter but I don't think that gets them past the OKC juggernaut which is a year older and better. Both OKC and MEM have beaten the Spurs before and don't fear them any longer.

Ace
03-02-2013, 05:55 PM
As far as Duncan can take them. Point Guard led teams don't do so well in the playoffs.

Bill_Brasky
03-02-2013, 06:00 PM
The geriatric squad will be lucky to make it past the mighty Lakers.

Or Jazz or Rockets or whatever

timtonymanu
03-02-2013, 06:03 PM
A healthy Spurs team can make it to the WCF and lose.

But this current, injury prone squad will be lucky to make it past the 2nd round.

Proxy
03-02-2013, 06:11 PM
Both OKC and MEM have beaten the Spurs before and don't fear them any longer.

OKC is debatable going in either team's favor but making trends from the MEM/SA series two years ago is a stretch.

Cry Havoc
03-02-2013, 06:25 PM
We aren't beating Miami IMO, but I think we could get to the Finals. And who knows? Maybe DWade has an off series or isn't 100%. You just never know.

Mori Chu
03-02-2013, 07:38 PM
OKC is debatable going in either team's favor but making trends from the MEM/SA series two years ago is a stretch.

Dem Grizz still got Z-Bo (healthy again), Gasol (the non-pu$$y one), Conley, Tony Allen, several of the same bench guys. Now they have a few nice pieces like Tayshaun who have been all the way before. I think they are just as scary as they were 2 years ago, and all the principal pieces are still there from 2011's team that rocked the Spurs.

Thebesteva
03-02-2013, 09:04 PM
LOL @ all the fake calmness from Sperms fans. Sperms getting the 1st seed and collapsing with injuries...who could have imagined this?

td4mvp2k
03-02-2013, 09:39 PM
LOL @ all the fake calmness from Sperms fans. Sperms getting the 1st seed and collapsing with injuries...who could have imagined this?Ya dis aint LA foo! Spurs dont lose it like you and your team do!

capek
03-02-2013, 09:51 PM
LOL @ all the fake calmness from Sperms fans. Sperms getting the 1st seed and collapsing with injuries...who could have imagined this?

Who woulda imagined the lakers 100 mil roster missing the playoffs completely? :lol

TrainOfThought5
03-02-2013, 09:52 PM
without TP we'll struggle to make it all the way to................................................ ................... next week.

WCF minimum.

Thebesteva
03-02-2013, 10:00 PM
Who woulda imagined the lakers 100 mil roster missing the playoffs completely? :lol

Who said they are? See you in the 1st round calm fan

capek
03-02-2013, 10:04 PM

Hopefully. :tu

Thebesteva
03-02-2013, 10:06 PM
Hopefully. :tu

I offered a sig bet...no takers. You wanna take it. You Sperm lover?

capek
03-02-2013, 10:15 PM
I offered a sig bet...no takers. You wanna take it. You Sperm lover?

Over what, that the Spurs beat the Lakers vice versa if they meet in the playoffs? Sure, why the hell not, I ain't scurred. Though honestly I'm not much interested. I have sigs turned off anyways, so it's not like I'd get much enjoyment out of it. :lol

Reck
03-02-2013, 10:26 PM
Ya dis aint LA foo! Spurs dont lose it like you and your team do!

Good point. :lol

Although upstairs you do get a an influx of kamikaze posters (hello calispurfan) every time a spur gets injured or something.

Reck
03-02-2013, 10:27 PM

Seems like you have completely bought into the Kobe guarantees a spot comment. :lol

I honestly hope they do so the Spurs can dismantle them. Curious to see your reaction either way.

jesterbobman
03-02-2013, 10:28 PM
There's not an absolute answer. Whoever we're matched up with first round, the most likely outcome is a sweep/ 5 game series, and we probably have a ~90% chance of winning the series(Assuming health to core of both teams, much lower with Spurs injury, higher with injury to Harden/Dwight etc)

Second round we'd probably also be favourites(Win series~80%) regardless of whether it's the Clippers or the Winner of a Denver/Mem series. Memphis is better than before the trade, but general lack of shooting will be a problem as the Spurs are big enough inside with TD/Tiago playing to counteract Mem advantage. Spurs in 5 seems most likely(Hold at home, split on the road).

Against OKC, it's essentially a toss up. Both good teams that are close in PD. OKC stars being able to play longer is a problem, but SA stars can play an extra 5-10 minutes as well. Say 50% each way.

Finals is probably a 40-50% chance against the Heat(We'd be underdogs) and being the favourites in the 5-10% chance that the Heat don't make the finals(Injury to LeBron/Wade etc) where we'd probably win 70-80% of the time.

10% Out 1st round
18% Out Second
36% Out WCF
~20% Lose Finals
16% Win Finals

Should get to WCF, from there it's a crapshoot.

capek
03-02-2013, 10:36 PM
Seems like you have completely bought into the Kobe guarantees a spot comment. :lol

I honestly hope they do so the Spurs can dismantle them. Curious to see your reaction either way.

Unfortunately we won't get a chance as there's no way he'll show his face around here once his lakers get bounced like a buncha bitches

mercos
03-02-2013, 10:38 PM
It really depends on how well Tony Parker comes back from injury. With the Spurs schedule, they have a strong chance to hold on to the number one spot in the West, and thus avoid OKC or LAC in the second round. The Grizzlies or Nuggets would be a difficult match up if Tony Parker struggles upon his return. If Parker is able to regain his MVP like form by playoff time, then the team should at least reach the WCF. I like their chances against OKC now that Harden is gone. I think the Spurs match up favorably with the Clippers, and would take them as well. A series against Miami would be highly entertaining. Hard to say how it would go down until I see the Spurs play them with some of their starters.

thunderup
03-02-2013, 11:04 PM
They will make it to the WCF if they get and stay healthy. I would not be surprised if Denver gives them a tough series if they are matched up in the 2nd round. Denver is a darkhorse team.

DMC
03-02-2013, 11:07 PM
1st round exit like I said from the beginning.

Thebesteva
03-03-2013, 12:09 AM

Havent been emotional about Lakers basketball since 2010....seeing 5 championship wins kind of spoils you.

Spursfan092120
03-03-2013, 12:20 AM
the OKC juggernaut which is a year older and better.
Better without Harden?

Reck
03-03-2013, 12:28 AM
Havent been emotional about Lakers basketball since 2010....seeing 5 championship wins kind of spoils you.

And what is your point? I've seeing the Spurs win 4 championships, Duncan win 2 reg season mvps, 3 finals mvps an so forth.

You dont see me gloating. So again, whats your point?

Thebesteva
03-03-2013, 12:29 AM
And what is your point? I've seeing the Spurs win 4 championships, Duncan win 2 reg season mvps, 3 finals mvps an so forth.

You dont see me gloating. So again, whats your point?

You said you're curious to see my reaction when Lakers miss the playoffs or get eliminated. I answered your question dip shit...I said I havent given a shit about the Lakers since 2010. Dont ask a question if you dont want the answer...now go watch some cartoons or WWE

TDMVPDPOY
03-03-2013, 12:31 AM
enjoying this shit parker is doing

off court shit with former teammate wife
calls out frodo and not turning up
injuring heading into the playoffs

seems like ginoboli wannabe

D12
03-03-2013, 12:32 AM
You said you're curious to see my reaction when Lakers miss the playoffs or get eliminated. I answered your question dip shit...I said I havent given a shit about the Lakers since 2010. Dont ask a question if you dont want the answer...now go watch some cartoons or WWE

:lol Some of these Spur fans are the most sensitive people on the internet.

Thebesteva
03-03-2013, 12:45 AM
:lol Some of these Spur fans are the most sensitive people on the internet.

:lol Seriously...I am not a passionate fan of the NBA anymore. Now the NFL I'm totally different about it. I moved on from the NBA when I realized its basically the WWE, I mean that for and against the Lakers. I dont like it, I would much rather a random team win every year than the best storied team. It's always the same damn thing with Stern.

Reck
03-03-2013, 12:57 AM

Apparently you care enough to make dumbass threads about them making it and how the Spurs should be oh so afraid of the mighty lakers.

:lol joining a basketball forum and saying he doesnt care
:lol joining a Spurs board and talking smack all because he doesnt care

We got a live one here. lmao

KaiRMD1
03-03-2013, 01:09 AM

Lakers ceiling this year is over 500 and missing the playoffs. Spurs can make the finals if Stern doesn't fuck with us.

capek
03-03-2013, 01:18 AM

Spending time on an internet forum based around a sport "you don't give a shit" about. Cool life bro :lol

racm
03-03-2013, 01:52 AM
As far as they want to go. Giving up because they're hobbled/old/system players simply means they're not mentally up to it.

Jacob1983
03-03-2013, 02:03 AM
Lucky enough to make the playoffs? Are you fuckin' serious? This team has already guaranteed itself a winning season. They would have to basically implode the rest of the season to miss the playoffs. That shit isn't happening. Yes, Parker's injury will hurt them but the Spurs can games without one of their superstars. If Parker comes back healthy, then the Spurs should be a favorite to at least make it to the WCF. If Parker comes back and is not 100 percent then I'd say a 2nd round exit is likely.

Thebesteva
03-03-2013, 07:04 AM
Spending time on an internet forum based around a sport "you don't give a shit" about. Cool life bro :lol

I like watching it...I dont have an emotional attachment. INB4 Duncan injures his knee in the next game...oh wait nevermind that already happened

Clipper Nation
03-03-2013, 11:39 AM
Your "rooting for Spurs injuries" schtick is one of the lamest in recent memory, B...

BatManu20
03-03-2013, 04:14 PM
WCF. The Spurs aren't making it out of the West. The Heat are winning the title again this year over OKC again.

hater
03-03-2013, 04:16 PM
If Parker is 100%(huge IF), I'd say WCF and 50% chance of beating OKC to make it to Finals. OKC will miss Harden IMO.

If parker is not 100%. 1st round exit.

But all that is pointless. Lebron will steamroll whoever makes it out of the West

Proxy
03-03-2013, 04:48 PM
They will make it to the WCF if they get and stay healthy. I would not be surprised if Denver gives them a tough series if they are matched up in the 2nd round. Denver is a darkhorse team.

because they beat your team friday? :sleep

ffadicted
03-03-2013, 05:29 PM
Impossible to predict at this point. If parker is back 100% they'll make the finals and potentially win as the underdogs against the heat, if he doesn't, I could see even a second round exit, but more than likely a loss in the conf finals

vander
03-03-2013, 05:35 PM
lol, Spurs will not make the finals. even if they're healthy and playing out of their minds, Stern will not allow it. Finals must be Lebron vs. Durant or one of the LA teams