PDA

View Full Version : Report: Spurs refused to release Blair on 3/1 (Buyout deadline)

cd021
03-03-2013, 02:42 PM
http://www.projectspurs.com/2013-articles/march/did-blair-want-a-buyout-from-spurs.html

Blair (likely his agent) reportedly asked to be brought out two days ago (the same night he lead the spurs in scoring against Sacramento with 16 pts). The Spurs obviously refused though. Original article above.

Blair wanted to sign with another team with the hopes of being eligible for the post season roster.

justinandimcool
03-03-2013, 02:50 PM
Wants to play in the postseason.

Asks to be released by #1 seed.

http://palmettopublicrecord.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Kevin-Butler-Mind-Blown.gif

Brunodf
03-03-2013, 02:55 PM
:bang:bang:bang:bang

BatManu20
03-03-2013, 02:56 PM

http://palmettopublicrecord.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Kevin-Butler-Mind-Blown.gif

He wanted to play for a team that would actually play him in the post season.. big difference. And I don't blame him.

weebo
03-03-2013, 03:00 PM
I don't know how much of this story is true. If it is the Spurs should have released this guy and be done with him.

weebo
03-03-2013, 03:02 PM
He wanted to play for a team that would actually play him in the post season.. big difference. And I don't blame him.

Why would a playoff team give a 6'5" center playing time...when the playoff team he's on won't?

spurraider21
03-03-2013, 03:09 PM
If they didn't trade him, why would they have cut him, seriously. He's going to be a free agent at seasons end and can sign wherever he wants. In the meantime he might piggyback a team to a championship.

And I know its off topic, but seeing as how we are going to let Blair walk, does anybody have any insight on Matt Bonner this offseason? He is set to make 3.95 million next season. If they waive him (by a certain date, I think in late June) they can just pay 1 million of it and be off the hook, sort of like a buyout option. I think in an ordinary season Holt wouldn't want to pay a dime for a player that isn't playing with us (hence, never used the amnesty), so a buyout wouldn't be likely. But since this offseason is going to be really pivotal for us considering all the cap clearing contracts, it would definitely be wise to clear up an additional 2.9 mil while getting rid of a borderline rotation player, or if they really like him, bring him back at the minimum instead of paying 3 million. Anybody have word on what they will do with him?

loveforthegame
03-03-2013, 03:39 PM
Spurs were not going to let him walk free to sign with another contender.

Thankfully we'll be done with him this summer though.

Cry Havoc
03-03-2013, 03:42 PM
He should be happy he's even getting minutes. No one else in the NBA wanted to take a chance on his ACLs. The Spurs gave him a lot of PT for a contender and a much bigger contract than he deserved. You want to play? Fine. Put up 15 and 8 more often.

Trainwreck2100
03-03-2013, 03:50 PM
Why would a playoff team give a 6'5" center playing time...when the playoff team he's on won't?

pick any of the shitty 4-8 team in the JV league known as the east

Pop
03-03-2013, 04:31 PM
The FO really shat the bed when they didn't trade him for some insurance at SF like Casspi or even a second rounder.

Now obviously it's too late, you don't let him go to Miami for nothing when Miami called our bluff twice, last summer and at the trade deadline.

hater
03-03-2013, 04:33 PM
Lebron recruiting niggas. CIA POP with the cockblock.

playblair
03-03-2013, 05:36 PM
blair will become the spurs x-factor in the playoffs ..................................

Leetonidas
03-03-2013, 05:48 PM
Fat fuck needs to stfu, get paid his few million bucks, and wait til the summer. dude is going the way of Michael Finley

hooperflash
03-03-2013, 06:23 PM
Blair for Hibbert straight up

Spurs Brazil
03-03-2013, 06:34 PM
29 team didn't want him in the draft. Spurs drafted Blair and now he wants out. F.. him

KaiRMD1
03-03-2013, 07:10 PM
Blair and Spurs fans will get their wish this summer. Good luck Blair, you're a 6'5" center with no ACLs, we tried our best with ya.

Mugen
03-03-2013, 08:15 PM
Not sure why everybody is hating so much on DeJuan. He asked (not demanded) for a buyout where he'd get more mins. on another team which could possibly lead to a bigger contract in the offseason. If I were an athlete with no ACLs and a limited time to make as much money as possible, I'd have done the same thing.

Spurs said no and rightfully so as it wasn't in their best interest. But DeJuan has soldiered on and played well in the few mins. he's gotten. He's gone in the offseason but he's been a pretty good teammate since he's been here, considering he's a young guy who's been pulled from the rotation more times than anybody on the team.

People need to STFU tbh.

icango
03-03-2013, 08:21 PM
Not sure why everybody is hating so much on DeJuan. He asked (not demanded) for a buyout where he'd get more mins. on another team which could possibly lead to a bigger contract in the offseason. If I were an athlete with no ACLs and a limited time to make as much money as possible, I'd have done the same thing.

Spurs said no and rightfully so as it wasn't in their best interest. But DeJuan has soldiered on and played well in the few mins. he's gotten. He's gone in the offseason but he's been a pretty good teammate since he's been here, considering he's a young guy who's been pulled from the rotation more times than anybody on the team.

People need to STFU tbh.

:toast

jjktkk
03-03-2013, 08:56 PM

People need to STFU tbh.

This. :lol And WTF are some people who want to hate on Blair, have to and drop 2 inches off his height?

Blair and Spurs fans will get their wish this summer. Good luck Blair, you're a 6'5" center with no ACLs, we tried our best with ya.

Born: Apr 22, 1989

Height: 6-7 / 2.01

Weight: 270 lbs. / 122.5 kg.

Prior to NBA / Country:
Pittsburgh / USA

Years Pro: 3

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/dejuan_blair/index.html

Bill_Brasky
03-03-2013, 08:57 PM

People need to STFU tbh.
Yup.

timtonymanu
03-03-2013, 09:12 PM
Me thinks DeJuan's agent is the one being unreasonable.

I don't like Blair, but the hate for him is too much. He's handled things very well this year. You guys act like he's DeMarcus Cousins or something.

dbreiden83080
03-03-2013, 09:18 PM

Have you been watching? Pop will have his ass glued to that bench come playoffs..

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-03-2013, 09:29 PM

People need to STFU tbh.

:tu

The Grizz-hate has been going on all year and, like the hero-ball wank, it's totally overblown bullshit.

SayTown
03-03-2013, 09:38 PM
He should of known the Spurs would say no, so why even ask

Spurs9
03-03-2013, 09:43 PM
I've never understood the Blair hate.

SupremeGuy
03-03-2013, 10:10 PM
So he wants the Spurs to negotiate a buyout so he can go sign with a contender? Miami, probably? Yeah, why on fucking Earth would the Spurs agree to that? Stupid ass request by him and his agent.

cd021
03-03-2013, 10:12 PM
Lebron recruiting niggas. CIA POP with the cockblock.

Qoute of the thread?....i'm call call the one over right now. LMFAO

cd021
03-03-2013, 10:13 PM

They let Finley walk per request. Granted Finley was like 37 and rocking warmups daily.

cd021
03-03-2013, 10:14 PM
Have you been watching? Pop will have his ass glued to that bench come playoffs..

I actually think he could be useful against OKC & Clippers. The Clippers don't really have shot blockers (besides Jordan) and its not like Odom, Hollins and Blake are gonna stop him from scoring at the rim.

cd021
03-03-2013, 10:16 PM

The east really is a joke.

jestersmash
03-04-2013, 12:14 AM

People need to STFU tbh.

Yeah, this pretty much sums up how I feel as well.

DrunkTXLabrat
03-04-2013, 12:34 AM
blair hate is legit.

blair can score and dime his ass off. he can chase down every stray rebound and loose ball. but i bet matt bonner does him up with crappy floaters all practice long. that's probably where matt gets the nerve to keep pullin that garbage.

Sean Cagney
03-04-2013, 12:45 AM
blair will become the spurs x-factor in the playoffs ..................................

LOL yeah sure.

John B
03-04-2013, 03:09 AM
He caused Splitter's development. Well actually it was Pop's mistake when it's obvious that other teams would exploit Blair's height in the slower pace playoffs. And with his zero jumper and circus shots, he's a regular season back-up player at best, not a starting center in the playoffs. Sure he could pad stats in bottom-feeder teams where he could play under the radar. I'm not sorry for him, Spurs gave him great chances when other teams didn't even want to draft him, and he whines about playing time when it's clear he can't depend true centers when it matters. Goodluck prolonging his career without his ACL's playing big minutes in mediocre teams, instead of managed minutes in a great organization had he only stepped-up with his rebounding and hassle plays and shut his mouth.

MSPaint
03-04-2013, 03:35 AM

The Leastern conference trolls the NBA.

Darkwaters
03-04-2013, 03:53 AM
This. :lol And WTF are some people who want to hate on Blair, have to and drop 2 inches off his height?

Born: Apr 22, 1989

Height: 6-7 / 2.01

Weight: 270 lbs. / 122.5 kg.

Prior to NBA / Country:
Pittsburgh / USA

Years Pro: 3

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/dejuan_blair/index.html

Yea, because NBA teams always accurately list a player's height.

Do you really think hes 6'7? Have you ever seen Blair stand next to Ginobili? It's curious how the 6'6 Ginobili is taller than the 6'7 Blair.

baseline bum
03-04-2013, 04:05 AM

People need to STFU tbh.

/thread

Blair has handled a pretty bad situation about as professionally as anyone could have hoped. Honestly, I would have bitched to the media and forced my way out in his shoes considering being here is absolutely killing his earning potential for next season and beyond.

lurker23
03-04-2013, 05:56 AM

Do you really think hes 6'7? Have you ever seen Blair stand next to Ginobili? It's curious how the 6'6 Ginobili is taller than the 6'7 Blair.

For what it's worth, before the draft Blair was listed at 6'5.25" without shoes, and 6'6.5" with shoes. Most (if not all) NBA players are listed at/near their "with shoes" height. (I don't know the similar "official" numbers for Manu.)

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/DeJuan-Blair-5049/

will_spurs
03-04-2013, 07:03 AM
I'll even go further than Mugen: this is a perfect situation for the Spurs as Blair is in a contract year and knows he won't be offered a contract by the Spurs, which means he has to play his ass off to increase his market worth. I'm actually wondering whether the talk that the Spurs were ready to trade him for, basically, "whatever" at the trade deadline wasn't all just smoke and mirrors just to please him and his agent.

As I said, right now he's in a situation where he absolutely has to play his ass off and shut his mouth, or he's going to play in China or Russia next year... I think we're starting to see exactly that with his suddenly improved play since the All-Star break. Funny what finally giving a shit can do.

racm
03-04-2013, 07:04 AM
I'll even go further than Mugen: this is a perfect situation for the Spurs as Blair is in a contract year and knows he won't be offered a contract by the Spurs, which means he has to play his ass off to increase his market worth. I'm actually wondering whether the talk that the Spurs were ready to trade him for, basically, "whatever" at the trade deadline wasn't all just smoke and mirrors just to please him and his agent.

As I said, right now he's in a situation where he absolutely has to play his ass off and shut his mouth, or he's going to play in China or Russia next year... I think we're starting to see exactly that with his suddenly improved play since the All-Star break. Funny what finally giving a shit can do.

A "put up or shut up" scenario? I'm also surprised Pop has him as the fourth big instead of Bonner.

admiralsnackbar
03-04-2013, 08:09 AM
Cost/benefit ratios mean nothing to some fans, do they? :lol

Capt Bringdown
03-04-2013, 08:56 AM
Does Blair make the Spurs a more formidable opponent? Of course not, when Blair's in the lineup he presents a weak point for attack and exploitation. He's a problem and not a solution to anything.
I wish he was somebody else's problem and not ours.

cd021
03-04-2013, 10:09 AM

Garnett & Rasheed wallace are clearly 7 footers but at listed at 6'11 because they play PF. Duncan is only 6'10 in shoes but is listed at 6'11.

cd021
03-04-2013, 10:12 AM
He caused Splitter's development. Well actually it was Pop's mistake when it's obvious that other teams would exploit Blair's height in the slower pace playoffs. And with his zero jumper and circus shots, he's a regular season back-up player at best, not a starting center in the playoffs. Sure he could pad stats in bottom-feeder teams where he could play under the radar. I'm not sorry for him, Spurs gave him great chances when other teams didn't even want to draft him, and he whines about playing time when it's clear he can't depend true centers when it matters. Goodluck prolonging his career without his ACL's playing big minutes in mediocre teams, instead of managed minutes in a great organization had he only stepped-up with his rebounding and hassle plays and shut his mouth.

Its not a lack of hustle, he puts work in but they results very from helpful to hurtful.

Mugen
03-04-2013, 01:35 PM
Does Blair make the Spurs a more formidable opponent? Of course not, when Blair's in the lineup he presents a weak point for attack and exploitation. He's a problem and not a solution to anything.

1. He's an emergency big who's only gotten minutes this year when TD/Tiago/Boris have been injured. So far, he's shown to be a pretty decent one when called upon. Still can't defend but has good chemistry with the guys and looks much more NBA ready than Baynes.
2. If the Spurs considered him a problem, they would have traded him at the deadline for a 2nd rounded or granted his buyout request. They did neither.

EricB
03-04-2013, 07:13 PM

Spoken like a true post 1998 spurs fan.

therealtruth
03-04-2013, 07:33 PM

I don't think that is obvious. The Spurs gave Finley a buyout in 2010.

cd021
03-04-2013, 10:04 PM
1. He's an emergency big who's only gotten minutes this year when TD/Tiago/Boris have been injured. So far, he's shown to be a pretty decent one when called upon. Still can't defend but has good chemistry with the guys and looks much more NBA ready than Baynes.
2. If the Spurs considered him a problem, they would have traded him at the deadline for a 2nd rounded or granted his buyout request. They did neither.

Agreed

cd021
03-04-2013, 10:05 PM
A "put up or shut up" scenario? I'm also surprised Pop has him as the fourth big instead of Bonner.

Isn't Bonner the fourth big not Blair?

cd021
03-04-2013, 10:27 PM

I think he is still gonna be an NBA player. Someone will take him for a year to see what he can do in their system.

racm
03-05-2013, 08:42 AM
Isn't Bonner the fourth big not Blair?

Blair got the nod minutes wise over the past few games. Mostly because Diaw's been out for the past couple but still.

cd021
03-06-2013, 01:31 AM
Blair is in a rough spot. He went from being the young prospect that was poised to take McDyess spot after the retired in the rotation (Which he did). He started the majority of 2 seasons averaging 20+ minutes per game on a highly successful team. They he gets benched in the playoffs because he lacked any size to defend Randolf. The following season he got benched late in the regular season and the post season in favor of Diaw. Only to return in the best shape of his career and worked his way back into the starting lineup only to play poorly and be benched again while Splitter starts and plays significant minutes. He is in the last season of his contract and has little to show for it this season. I see him signing with a bad team (Charlotte, Portland maybe even Dallas) on a cheap multi-year deal that isn't fully guaranteed.

cd021
03-06-2013, 01:40 AM

For 10 minutes on any given game he can put up something like 6 pts, 5 rebs and a couple of assists. He isn't nearly as useless as you're making him out to be. He per minute production is actually strong. He just has had his role change so much in the past 1 1/2. It says alot about his fall from grace with Pop, when Captain Jack returns to the spurs and takes minutes away from you at a position he seldom played over the course of his decade long career. He is more valuable to us than another team at this point in the season. He can still have an impact in the post season. Teams like the Clippers, Thunder and Heat he could be valuable given his ability to maneuver in the pick and roll against generally non imposing front lines

He's Neal but a PF (or "Center" if you will) you know you're not getting great defense. But he can produce and you can always limit someones lack of defense by putting him on the worst offensive player on the floor.

Rocalcio
03-06-2013, 09:55 AM
He should be happy he's even getting minutes. No one else in the NBA wanted to take a chance on his ACLs. The Spurs gave him a lot of PT for a contender and a much bigger contract than he deserved. You want to play? Fine. Put up 15 and 8 more often.

When he gets minutes, he often does.