PDA

View Full Version : Spurs v. Bulls 3/6 Who starts @ PG For Spurs?

Embedded
03-04-2013, 05:47 PM
I heard a rumbling that this could be the return of Derrick Rose - shouldn't they do that at home Friday vs. Utah, right? BLown oportunity it seems, would get an emotional lift from the crowd, etc. doing it at home, plus immediate treatment if there's a setback?

I would like to see Mr. Joseph again, but since Chicago is a much tougher team, with Nate Robinson starting, should Patty Mills be put on him? Or will Kirk Hinrich start? He has a sore foot.

They're probably made as us for beating them in Chicago without the big three or Mr. Jackson.

Mr. De Colo was +11, Mr. Mills was -6 for the game, but Kirk Hinrich did not play. Nate Robinson got the start but was -22.

look_at_g_shred
03-04-2013, 05:55 PM
If Pop puts Joseph to start again, I think Joseph has earned Pop's trust and could very well be our new backup PG. Barring a huge meltdown from him.

Mr.Bottomtooth
03-04-2013, 05:57 PM
Going by everyone's satisfaction with Cory in the last game, I'd say he's earned the spot to start again.

Obstructed_View
03-04-2013, 05:59 PM
Sweep the leg, Cory...

spurraider21
03-04-2013, 06:02 PM
Hopefully its CoJo. Would speak volumes. Plus it would be good to see him against legit playoff level competition

AFBlue
03-04-2013, 06:05 PM
Sweep the leg, Cory...

Put him in a body bag! Ha!

FuzzyLumpkins
03-04-2013, 06:08 PM
I would be disappointed if it was not Joseph. With Parker out and 6.5 weeks until the playoffs this is an excellent time to get him involved with the team. He isn't going to play with Parker much when he comes back anyway. If I have to watch Mills/De Colo overpenetrate and chuck or make awful passes instead of dribbling out to the corner I am going to be sick.

racm
03-04-2013, 06:10 PM
I don't think Rose plays until they're 100% sure he's good to go.

CoJo should start again tbh. Nando's a great passer but is too slow and needs to improve his jumper, Mills is quick but too small, and Pop has decided that Neal is a spark plug SG.

spurraider21
03-04-2013, 06:12 PM
Once our team is healthy and all, Mills should only be used as a 3rd unit energy/spark guy much like Blair. I still trust Manu-Neal reserve backcourt tbh, but if Cory keeps playing well, it would be hard to argue Neal over CJ. I still don't know if Pop will trust CoJo in the playoffs though

racm
03-04-2013, 06:22 PM
Once our team is healthy and all, Mills should only be used as a 3rd unit energy/spark guy much like Blair. I still trust Manu-Neal reserve backcourt tbh, but if Cory keeps playing well, it would be hard to argue Neal over CJ. I still don't know if Pop will trust CoJo in the playoffs though

That's why this upcoming stretch of games will be important.

capek
03-04-2013, 06:24 PM
Pop went with CoJo last night. CoJo played well. Nothing else has changed. So I'd be very surprised if CoJo doesn't get the start on Wedns.

EricB
03-04-2013, 07:11 PM
Cory Joseph and I see zero reason not increase his minutes as well.

spurraider21
03-04-2013, 07:35 PM
Pop went with CoJo last night. CoJo played well. Nothing else has changed. So I'd be very surprised if CoJo doesn't get the start on Wedns.

While that is completely rational and logical, Pop does tend to go mad scientist. Heck, you could say the same about Nando. He played well in his spot start last time but pop didnt go back to him against Detroit

jestersmash
03-04-2013, 07:36 PM
Cory Joseph, and not because your virtually useless +/- stat suggests as much. I'll say the same about the slightly less useless rate adjusted plus minus (RAPM).

RAPM is and will always be best for assessing groups of players - not individuals (Comparing RAPM between 5 man groups is a better relative measure than comparing RAPM between 4 man groups which is a better relative measure than comparing RAPM between 3 man groups, etc. etc.)

I pretty much cringe whenever I see people blindly touting RAPM as the single best overall measure for comparing individual players. It's by definition one of the worst, simply because you're dealing with increasing levels of confounding as you go from comparing X man units to X-1 man units, X-2 man units, etc.

racm
03-04-2013, 07:44 PM
Cory Joseph, and not because your virtually useless +/- stat suggests as much. I'll say the same about the slightly less useless rate adjusted plus minus (RAPM).

RAPM is and will always be best for assessing groups of players - not individuals (Comparing RAPM between 5 man groups is a better relative measure than comparing RAPM between 4 man groups which is a better relative measure than comparing RAPM between 3 man groups, etc. etc.)

I pretty much cringe whenever I see people blindly touting RAPM as the single best overall measure for comparing individual players. It's by definition one of the worst, simply because you're dealing with increasing levels of confounding as you go from comparing X man units to X-1 man units, X-2 man units, etc.

His wp48 also blows away Nando's and Mills's. :smokin

jestersmash
03-04-2013, 07:45 PM
Of course, even measures individual like PER or opposing PER are not totally immune to confounding. They're simply far less likely to be affected by confounding because the assumptions are more reasonable (PG generally guard the opposing PG, at least as a first line of defense). The concept of team defense is directly confounding to the notion of opposing PER being an individual measure, of course, but that's just something we have to deal with.

jestersmash
03-04-2013, 07:48 PM
His wp48 also blows away Nando's and Mills's. :smokin

Yeah I'm really happy for CoJo. I'm still nervous about how Pop will deal with Neal given that he's coming back from injury. Pop always struck me as the kind of guy who doesn't get too high nor too low on individual performances. It takes a lot to get into his good graces. Conversely, it takes a lot to get into his doghouse.

I feel like his thought process will be something like "Well, Gary's been our backup P.G. for so long it's going to take more than a game or two by CoJo to seriously eat into his playing time," even though the eye test suggests that CoJo is far more competent at backup point than Neal.

racm
03-04-2013, 07:53 PM
I think Pop's not so high on Neal as a PG because he's been turrible this season, all those injuries don't help.

He's contributing negative wins this season.

capek
03-04-2013, 08:29 PM
While that is completely rational and logical, Pop does tend to go mad scientist. Heck, you could say the same about Nando. He played well in his spot start last time but pop didnt go back to him against Detroit

Ya, I was gonna hedge that statement by mentioning Pop's mad scientist ways, but then I got lazy. :lol

Who knows with Pop, but CoJo showed such a steady hand with his start that imo smart money is on get starting against Chi.

Strategic
03-04-2013, 08:29 PM

I agree with this. If anyone is surprised even if Joseph doesn't see any PT the next game, then they haven't seen Pop coach.

hater
03-04-2013, 08:31 PM
CJ - 70% chance
Nando - 30% chance

AFBlue
03-04-2013, 10:49 PM
If the Spurs are going to be successful without Tony it's going to require system players to execute effectively in the system. CoJo know the system the best and he seems to execute it the most effectively.

I think he's it unless or until he totally wets the bed.

Trainwreck2100
03-04-2013, 10:54 PM
Thibs is stupid enough to have Rose return against the Spurs

Darius McCrary
03-04-2013, 10:59 PM
What O_V said

Libri
03-04-2013, 11:36 PM
Joseph

sasffl
03-04-2013, 11:58 PM
I beg Cory Joseph will keep on starting as PG

eDizzle20
03-05-2013, 12:03 AM
No reason not to start Joseph. The guy played a near flawless game on Sunday. No need to change for this one.

Darkwaters
03-05-2013, 01:22 AM
If Pop puts Joseph to start again, I think Joseph has earned Pop's trust and could very well be our new backup PG. Barring a huge meltdown from him.

He might have Pop's ear for the moment, but I highly doubt 29 minutes over two games wins Cory Joe the backup spot (against two losing teams no less). Still, hes on the right track at the moment. Heres hoping he gets the fullest opportunity tonight and learns something and gets better.

spurraider21
03-05-2013, 06:21 AM
While Rose won't be playing, I'd be interested in seeing him against the quick Nate Robinson while on D and if he could run the offense against one of the league's best defenses.

Mal
03-05-2013, 06:24 AM

Pop isnt stupid to make his decision based on one game sample. There is still great opportunity to test CoJo.

pgardn
03-05-2013, 08:16 AM
We are trying to dissect the mind of Gregor Popovich...

Call in Sigmund, or at least Dr. Phil.

AFBlue
03-05-2013, 08:26 AM
We are trying to dissect the mind of Gregor Popovich...

Call in Sigmund, or at least Dr. Phil.

I can almost guarantee both of them post here. Hopefully they weigh in...

racm
03-05-2013, 08:28 AM
Dr Phil Jackson? He's got Popovich figured out.

look_at_g_shred
03-05-2013, 10:27 AM
Pop isnt stupid to make his decision based on one game sample. There is still great opportunity to test CoJo.

Great point. I agree with that statement.

look_at_g_shred
03-05-2013, 10:30 AM
He might have Pop's ear for the moment, but I highly doubt 29 minutes over two games wins Cory Joe the backup spot (against two losing teams no less). Still, hes on the right track at the moment. Heres hoping he gets the fullest opportunity tonight and learns something and gets better.

Well tomorrow night at least lol...

cd98
03-05-2013, 10:32 AM
Doesn't matter who starts. The player that plays the best is going to get the significant minutes. I suppose COJ will get the first run. But I bet any of these point guards is on a short leash.

Johnsyounger
03-05-2013, 10:43 AM
Sweep the leg, Cory...
"Do you have a problem with that Mr.Jospeh?"

bklynspursfan
03-05-2013, 02:15 PM

Edit*

Budkin
03-05-2013, 02:27 PM
Joseph. And no fucking way is Rose playing.

aal04
03-05-2013, 04:57 PM
Id put Sjax on Rose at PG, and tell him Rose slept with his mom.

moisaenz
03-05-2013, 05:00 PM
Id put Sjax on Rose at PG, and tell him Rose slept with his mom.

You want captain jack to beat someone again and rose lose another year?

TheGoldStandard
03-05-2013, 09:00 PM
Stak 5 would put a hurt on Rose..

Joseph will start and Nando/Mills will fill in when Manu hits the floor. Gary, he's aquaman now, he still serves a purpose but it's limited.

Embedded
03-05-2013, 09:10 PM
I forget that Mr. Joseph is in his 2nd year with the Spurs, and they run the same system in the development league. Mr De Colo hasn't had as much time playing the Spurs system. SOmetimes it seems like he's thinking too much.

Mr. Joseph's improvement is a testament to the Spurs' system, patience, and long-term vision.

bigdog
03-05-2013, 09:22 PM
Joseph should start. I would normally say it doesn't matter, but CoJo would set the tone nicely, compared to DeColo and Mills. Those two are too erratic on the court, in their own ways. I like them both, though. Joseph seems to have a full grasp of the offensive sets and is a fantastic defender.

bklynspursfan
03-06-2013, 12:02 PM
San Antonio Spurs ‏@spurs (https://twitter.com/spurs)
Boris Diaw and Gary Neal will be available tonight against the Bulls.