PDA

View Full Version : Question for those that have recently traveled to Cancun/Cozumel....

Ballcox
07-05-2005, 02:16 PM
In reading a thread in the Spurs forum, I began wondering about an upcoming trip to Cancun. It's been a while since I've been outside the US, I know there have a been a lot of changes in the world concerning Americans who travel outside the US.

Are there any special precautions I should take going down to Cancun? Is there a certain danger level down there, or is it relatively safe in that area? Also, any general advice for traveling to that area regarding safety, what to be on the lookout for, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

ElMuerto
07-05-2005, 02:18 PM
Always carry ID and get a good set of dental X-rays done before you leave. But it's not like you're visiting Aruba.

TonyMontana
07-05-2005, 02:21 PM
lotsa fine mamis in cancun.

jalbre6
07-05-2005, 02:21 PM
I'm leaving for Cozumel on Thursday, and I got a lot of good advice from the folks here. The two biggest things I've been told over the last few days are to bring lots of dollar bills and to make sure your birth certificate is embossed or raised if not using a passport.

TonyMontana
07-05-2005, 02:22 PM
yes, you better fuckin tip, our it's your ass. :makemyday

Jimcs50
07-05-2005, 02:38 PM
http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/movie/coverv/46/245446.jpg

Nuff said.

tlongII
07-05-2005, 02:43 PM
Go to Cabo San Lucas instead.

GoldToe
07-05-2005, 02:58 PM
I'm heading to Cozumel on September and was told we didn't need a passport yet so I hope our State Issued birth certificates will be okay but Carnival cruises said they would be.

It is just one of those 4 day deals from Galveston. Will September be too cold to take my speedo's?

Ballcox
07-05-2005, 03:00 PM
I'm leaving for Cozumel on Thursday, and I got a lot of good advice from the folks here. The two biggest things I've been told over the last few days are to bring lots of dollar bills and to make sure your birth certificate is embossed or raised if not using a passport.

Hey jalebre, do you have to have a passport to go down there? It's been so damn long I can't remember. I don't even know where my damn birth certificate is. If I have to get a passport, I'm going to need one quick, I'm leaving out third week of this month, can you get a passport that fast? I also love all of the positive remarks I'm getting from this post, I'm starting to feel like I should hire my own security team just to go down there :lol

SpursWoman
07-05-2005, 03:03 PM
You definitely HAVE to have either a birth certificate or a Passport ...

GoldToe
07-05-2005, 03:05 PM
After 12/31/05 a Passport will be required.

I'm glad too because US Passports cost $97!

jalbre6
07-05-2005, 03:21 PM
Hey jalebre, do you have to have a passport to go down there? It's been so damn long I can't remember. I don't even know where my damn birth certificate is. If I have to get a passport, I'm going to need one quick, I'm leaving out third week of this month, can you get a passport that fast? I also love all of the positive remarks I'm getting from this post, I'm starting to feel like I should hire my own security team just to go down there :lol

A birth certificate with either a raised or an embossed seal is required if you're not using a passport. I ordered mine over the phone from Santa Rosa in SA and recieved it in a week.

from ins.gov:
U.S. Citizens may travel between the U.S. and Mexico with the following documents:
Valid U.S. passport, or
U.S. state or federal government-issued birth certificate with government-issued photo ID such as unexpired driver's license or military ID.
Notarized photocopy or notarized fax copy of the above birth certificate with government-issued photo ID.

Note: These documents are not valid as proof of citizenship:
Voter's registration cards.
Hospital-issued birth certificates.
Affidavits of citizenship.

Oh yeah, and bring hand sanitizer and ziploc bags.

Ballcox
07-05-2005, 03:44 PM
^ Now, I get the hand sanitizer, what the hell are the zip lock bags for?

GoldToe
07-05-2005, 03:58 PM
Oh yeah, and bring hand sanitizer and ziploc bags.

Leave the ziploc bags at home. It ain't worth the risk. :smokin

jalbre6
07-05-2005, 04:02 PM
Use the Ziploc bags for raiding the buffets for midday snacks and to keep your wallet and money dry.

SpursWoman
07-05-2005, 04:53 PM
....just a little tip from our trip to Cancun a few years ago:

Before we started drinking, we'd take 2 ibuprofens & one of those Pepto Bismal caplets (so you don't have to taste it :vomit). Never had a hangover or anything else that might come from drinking the water in Mexico.

I'm all about prevention. :drunk :lol

And if you don't already have your trip planned out, I HIGHLY recommend the Jungle Tours, which is actually an hour wave runner trip out to the reefs to go snorkling. That was really, really fun. :)

rl64tx
07-05-2005, 04:54 PM
If you find any locals that build decks at low cost, please bring them back!! :smokin

Mr Dio
07-05-2005, 05:16 PM
Will September be too cold to take my speedo's?

It will be very hot so you might have to wear your g-string..make sure & rub lotion on the bung man! Ever wiped a sunburn bung? Uhhh, yeah..me neither!

bigzak25
07-05-2005, 05:20 PM
september? Godbless you and family during hurricane season.

GoldToe
07-05-2005, 05:22 PM
september? Godbless you and family during hurricane season.

Unless it's the perfect storm, I ain't worried about it. Hell, SA is probably more likely to flood during a normal rain fall.

But I'll pack some extra socks just in case.

bigzak25
07-05-2005, 05:39 PM
thumbs up man...i'll pray for sunny skies and hot women for you...don't forget your sunglasses so the misses doesn't know your eyeballin the hotties. :smokin

GoldToe
07-05-2005, 06:43 PM
thumbs up man...i'll pray for sunny skies and hot women for you...don't forget your sunglasses so the misses doesn't know your eyeballin the hotties. :smokin

I think I'll wear a cup 'cause it won't be my eyeballs that'll give me away.....

Marklar MM
07-05-2005, 07:28 PM
I think I'll wear a cup 'cause it won't be my eyeballs that'll give me away.....

Make sure that the cup is metal...that way, she feels it.

IX_Equilibrium
07-05-2005, 08:52 PM
Go to Playa del Carmen instead. It's 1.5 hrs south of Cancun.

Ballcox
07-06-2005, 12:16 PM
Thanks for all the good advice, and don't worry I'll leave the 'special' ziploc bags at home :smokin

Me and the wife are looking forward to the trip, it will be the first trip we've had alone in the five years we've been married. I don't know what the hell I'll do with myself without one of my three kids asking me questions or as my son is so fond of doing, smearing his crap all over the bedroom walls! Thanks again!