PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent: Shareef Abdur-Rahim

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 02:18 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_shareef_abdur-rahim.jpghttp://www.nba.com/blazers/images/blazers_logo.gif

Shareef Abdur-Rahim | 33
Position: F
Born: Dec 11, 1976
Height: 6-9 / 2,06
Weight: 245 lbs. / 111,1 kg.
College : California '99

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/shareef_abdur-rahim/index.html)

For whatever reason, SAR's name continues to be linked to the Spurs in the press. He's a great offensive talent, no doubt, but his defense is somewhat suspect. Then again, it's amazing how much defensive improvement is shown by players who join the Spurs. Perhaps it's a lot easier to D up when you join one of the best, if not the best, shotblocking teams in the NBA. Then again, perhaps it is because if you want minutes, you have to play hard on D for Gregg Popovich. It's probably a bit of both. SAR turns 29 this year and should have plenty of basketball left in his career. He gets to the line a lot for a big and he shoots well from there (career 81.6% FT shooter). In addition he has plenty of range on his shot (shot 38.5% from beyond the arc last season). He boards well, is fairly mobile, and can play some spot minutes at the 3. I'd have to say that his price is out of the Spurs' range, but you never know. Perhaps if Portland is jonesing for Radosoft might the Spurs have a shot. In the end, he seems like a long shot, but the rumors are tantalizing enough to discuss.

Kori Ellis
07-05-2005, 02:22 PM
I just read in Marc Stein's article that Abdur-Rahim is visiting Sacramento and New Jersey this week - both of those teams only have the MLE.

I'd imagine that if the Spurs cannot (or choose not to) come to terms with Horry and/or Scola that Abdur-Rahim could be a target.

The Abdur-Rahim to S.A. rumors have been going on for like four years. So obviously he wants to be here. I just wonder exactly how much San Antonio reciprocates.

King
07-05-2005, 02:33 PM
I wouldn't be disappointed with SAR. I'd think with that offensive talent, there has to be SOME reciprocation. Pop has had a lot of 'non defensive' players buy into his system in the past. No reason to think he couldn't get SAR to do the same.

I like him as a second option if Horry bolts.

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 02:35 PM
There are tons of offensive opportunities for a big playing alongside TD in the Spurs' system. Nazr and Rasho both are suspect at capitalizing on those. Horry's done a decent job at doing so.

You basically want a big who will attack the basket, hit the J and go to the line. You'd also like one who can hold on to the rock.

timvp
07-05-2005, 02:36 PM
It'd be tough to turn down a guy who averages 20 points and 8 rebounds for his career if he wanted to come to the Spurs. Like I've said since the beginning of the summer, SARS only makes sense to me if Horry doesn't come back. In that scenario, SARS could be a good replacement.

ChumpDumper
07-05-2005, 02:41 PM
The only bad thing about this guy was he was counted on to be (and paid like) a franchise player. You can't say he's been in any really positive playing situations either because of that. He could flourish as a role player here, but we'd have to move someone from the frontcourt and still need a true SF.

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 02:43 PM
The only bad thing about this guy was he was counted on to be (and paid like) a franchise player. You can't say he's been in any really positive playing situations either because of that. He could flourish as a role player here, but we'd have to move someone from the frontcourt and still need a true SF.

Between him and Barry/Manu/Brown the Spurs could probably get away with not having a true backup 3 for another season or two. Also, perhaps the Spurs could get a vet for the minimum like Kukoc to cover that for at least next season.

ChumpDumper
07-05-2005, 02:47 PM
Between him and Barry/Manu/Brown the Spurs could probably get away with not having a true backup 3 for another season or two. Also, perhaps the Spurs could get a vet for the minimum like Kukoc to cover that for at least next season.That would just make the need more acute down the line. I'm not saying it's impossible -- we'd still have the LLE in most scenarios -- I'm just saying the need would still be there. The offseason is about filling needs, right?

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 02:48 PM
Sure, filling needs but also being opportunistic if the situation presents itself.

Extra Stout
07-05-2005, 02:49 PM
Shareef is the official Plan B of the San Antonio Spurs.

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 02:51 PM
Length at the 3 wouldn't be as much of a concern if the Spurs added Rahim and Kukoc this summer.

gospursgojas
07-05-2005, 03:12 PM
Remember like two years ago everyone was afraid to catch SARS, and people in China were dying of it......

(sorry)

Extra Stout
07-05-2005, 03:20 PM
Length at the 3 wouldn't be as much of a concern if the Spurs added Rahim and Kukoc this summer.I like your Kukoc idea.

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 03:22 PM
Then you should enjoy this (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20411).

timvp
07-06-2005, 01:23 AM
WOAI is reporting that the Spurs are very interested in Abdur-Rahim. Supposedly their competition is Miami and New Jersey. But Miami probably is going to use their MLE elsewhere and Abdur-Rahim wants to win.

That means that SA could very well be his destination.

Interesting.

Mr. Body
07-06-2005, 01:28 AM
Why?

Why?

Why?

I don't get it at all.

I'd rather have Luis Scola seven days a week and twice on Sunday.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-06-2005, 01:30 AM
Didn't the Nets call him on day 1? I think that would probably make them the team to beat.

You can get SAR AND still get Scola.

Sign SAR with the MLE, sign Scola with the LLE.

Kori Ellis
07-06-2005, 01:31 AM
Didn't the Nets call him on day 1? I think that would probably make them the team to beat.

Lawrence Frank was at his door at midnight when free agency began. He's also close with Jason Kidd. He's reportedly visiting NJ and Sac this weekend.

timvp
07-06-2005, 01:32 AM
Why?

Why?

Why?

I don't get it at all.

I'd rather have Luis Scola seven days a week and twice on Sunday.

I'm not a huge SARS fan but it's hard to compare Scola to a guy who has averaged 20 and 8 for his career. For all we know, Scola could bomb in the NBA. That's unlikely, but I can't blame the Spurs for looking at a guy who is only three years older and has proven himself to be an NBA caliber player.

TheTruth
07-06-2005, 01:32 AM

Maybe he hung up on the Nets. I agree, throw the whlole MLE at Reef and and see if Scola will take the LLE.

Mr. Body
07-06-2005, 01:34 AM

No doubt, but that's not really the point, is it? They both deserve time on the floor and play the same position and do the same thing. One comes much cheaper and has more upside at this point in his career.

Shareef would do himself much better by signing for a team that actually needs him, where he gets starting minutes and a significant role and a playoff berth (finally), instead of being a bauble bench player trotted out every once in a while from a thick bench.

I don't see why anybody is entertaining this possibility. I'd be utterly stunned to see it happen, especially since it would mean Scola is going elsewhere or stays in Europe.

TheTruth
07-06-2005, 01:36 AM
If they sign shareef and scola then i see Nazr or Rasho being traded.

timvp
07-06-2005, 01:36 AM

Duncan, Mohammed, Horry, Nesterovic, SARS and Scola are too man players fighting for the same minutes. Even if you take one out of that group, it still is packed.

Remember what happened the last time the Spurs brought over an Argentine star. They gutted his position by trading away Antonio Daniels and Charles Smith -- two players who got good run at his position the previous year.

The Spurs don't believe in overloading positions. To me that means that either Scola's not coming and Nesterovic because a 12th man or Nesterovic/Mohammed is getting traded and Scola won't see many minutes.

constantstate
07-06-2005, 01:37 AM
boy... nj... or the kings... how fast can dreams of winning a championship turn into nightmares?

Mr. Body
07-06-2005, 01:41 AM
I'm not a huge SARS fan but it's hard to compare Scola to a guy who has averaged 20 and 8 for his career. For all we know, Scola could bomb in the NBA.

The point is Scola is used to coming off the bench and would know his role. SARS has never averaged less than 31 minutes per game and that was by far the outlier (37.0 mpg/career) and he bitched about coming off the bench in Portland - and rightfully so. Why would anybody think he'd suddenly swallow his ego and/or suddenly become an effective bench player?

I think everybody's being extremely unrealistic here. They think they can just add any player in the league to their team and voila! it fits! But far more likely, SARS will want his starting minutes and to feel needed for a playoff team. He will at last get it, either in Sacramento or more likely in New Jersey. I say Bless him. The Spurs don't need him - they need a dynamic, skilled big man off the bench (S-C-O-L-A) - and SARS needs to be out there from opening tips and big minutes.

TheTruth
07-06-2005, 01:44 AM
The point is Scola is used to coming off the bench and would know his role. SARS has never averaged less than 31 minutes per game and that was by far the outlier (37.0 mpg/career) and he bitched about coming off the bench in Portland - and rightfully so. Why would anybody think he'd suddenly swallow his ego and/or suddenly become an effective bench player?
Winning will quiet a lot of his complaining. I'd bitch if I were sitting the bench for a team that was going to win 30 games.

timvp
07-06-2005, 01:46 AM

I think everybody's being extremely unrealistic here. They think they can just add any player in the league to their team and voila! it fits! But far more likely, SARS will want his starting minutes and to feel needed for a playoff team. He will at last get it, either in Sacramento or more likely in New Jersey. I say Bless him. The Spurs don't need him - they need a dynamic, skilled big man off the bench (S-C-O-L-A) - and SARS needs to be out there from opening tips and big minutes.

Well if the Spurs talk to SARS and tell him that he's coming off the bench and will have to fight for minutes and he still wants to come, then what do you think then? SARS has been wanting to come to San Antonio for like four years now "for a chance to win."

If he's sincere and will take a bench role, the Spurs have to look at him.

Mr. Body
07-06-2005, 01:50 AM
If he's sincere and will take a bench role, the Spurs have to look at him.

Well, I guess so. But as pointed out upthread, the Spurs have never liked to create logjams on their bench and cleared out space for Manu to develop off the bench. If SARS comes, then I don't see them bringing in Scola and 1) making him unhappy for coming, and 2) stunting his growth by shoving him behind another player of similar capabilities.

So if SARS comes then I expect Scola to be finding other digs and possibly for one of the centers to be moved as well. Both of which I think are bad ideas. In no way do I think Abdur-Rahim is a good fit for this team. In no way do I think this team is a good fit for the player. Maybe two years ago but not anymore.

Streakyshooter08
07-06-2005, 01:52 AM
Wow SAR an Marshall are the players I would have benn interested too, maybe I should call RC for an assistant job... :D ;) :angel

Russ
07-06-2005, 02:48 AM
Scola and SAR seem way too similar to have both. Both are big men with great shooting touch around the basket, maybe not that quick or athletic, and possibly a little bit "soft" in the low post.

I think you gotta pick one or the other (unless you're getting rid of Rasho or Nazr) and then figure some kind of big man rotation that makes sense.

Mr. Body
07-06-2005, 03:03 AM
Thanks, Russ. My point exactly. And Scola comes much cheaper without the grandiose expectations of playing time.

ChumpDumper
07-06-2005, 03:06 AM
Why would SAR's expectations be grandiose?

Every FA has to know how minutes are distributed here.
Why would anybody think he'd suddenly swallow his ego and/or suddenly become an effective bench player?He wants to be a Spur. That's part of the drill.

timvp
07-06-2005, 03:12 AM
Two things to remember when you are comparing Scola to SAR:

1) If the Spurs wait one more year, Scola has no buyout.
2) If the Spurs' scouts aren't as high on him as everyone else, they may look to trade him now since his stock is so high.

Mr. Body
07-06-2005, 03:17 AM
He wants to be a Spur. That's part of the drill.

He wanted to be a Spur. In previous years. When there was playing time.

Spurs fans love their team and believe any free agent would kill to play (or ride the pine) for them. Far more convincing is Abdur-Rahim's desire to play a significant role for a playoff team. Period. He had problems not starting the last two years. He has never made the playoffs. Next year, as a King or a Net, he will both start and make the playoffs.

This ain't rocket science. It's the Malone scenario all over again, but with a significant larger number of years ahead for the player. He won't be a Spur.

ChumpDumper
07-06-2005, 03:23 AM
Sounds like he still does.
Far more convincing is Abdur-Rahim's desire to play a significant role for a playoff team.If we trade center for him, that role could be quite substantial. After Horry retires in two seasons, even moreso.
Spurs fans love their team and believe any free agent would kill to play (or ride the pine) for them.Seeing as Barry and Rasho took less money to do so, this isn't that farfetched.
He won't be a Spur.Probably not, but there is no denying the Spurs are on his short list.

Mr. Body
07-06-2005, 03:25 AM
Lip service tons of FAs have given the Spurs over the years. No doubt he likes the franchise.

But the Spurs don't need him. Not with Scola.

And the player would be better off professionally if he played for one of the other teams where his skills would be better utilized.

ChumpDumper
07-06-2005, 03:28 AM
Not with Scola.If they get SAR, Scola is trade bait.
And the player would be better off professionally if he played for one of the other teams where his skills would be better utilized.And Barry could start on alot of teams too.

For more money.

timvp
07-06-2005, 03:34 AM

He's been saying he wants to be a Spur for like four years now. Even in the middle of the year, there was an article saying he wanted to come here. After the season, the first words coming out of free agency is SARS wants to come here.

Yet if the price to extricate Scola from his Spanish League contract is too high, pursuing free-agent forward Shareef Abdur-Rahim is a strong possibility. San Antonio can't sign both, because one or the other is bound to command most or all of its $4.9 million mid-level exception. Sources close to Reef say he'd love to come to San Antonio after missing the playoffs in each of his nine seasons, but he's also likely to be chased hard by several East contenders: Miami, Washington, New Jersey and Cleveland, just to name four.

Spurs fans love their team and believe any free agent would kill to play (or ride the pine) for them.

I don't even like SARS. I've never been a big fan of his. But the Spurs ARE going after him and SARS is interested ... thus the reason we are talking about him. Believe me, there are plenty of guys out there I'd rather see in a Spurs uniform.

Far more convincing is Abdur-Rahim's desire to play a significant role for a playoff team. Period.

He's the one who has been on record for four years saying he wants to come to San Antonio. I don't see any Spurs fans dying to have him.

He had problems not starting the last two years.

On Portland. Not too many players would like to be in the worst organization in the league and not even start.

He has never made the playoffs.

Thus the reason I don't even like him.

Next year, as a King or a Net, he will both start and make the playoffs.

Let him go then. But as long as the Spurs are interested and as long as SARS is interested in SA, we have to discuss it.

This ain't rocket science. It's the Malone scenario all over again, but with a significant larger number of years ahead for the player. He won't be a Spur.

We'll see. I'm not rooting for it.

Mr. Body
07-06-2005, 04:01 AM
Let him go then. But as long as the Spurs are interested and as long as SARS is interested in SA, we have to discuss it.

Well, put me in the "against it on all levels" camp. Also the "would bet he never even visits San Antonio" camp. It seems this is this summer's "Tracy McGrady mentioned San Antonio! He's going to be a Spur next year!" thread. It simply doesn't make serious basketball sense for any involved party. But I guess it's fun to talk about it.

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2005, 07:25 AM
I think Manu's success is blinding some when it comes to evaluating how Scola's game translates to the NBA. Perhaps he'd be a better fit than SAR for the Spurs, but how would he do when he has to play some semblance of man to man D?

Think about the following. This summer you re-sign Horry (accomplished, apparently) and then sign SAR using the MLE.

So your frontcourt looks like:

4 Duncan
5 Mohammed

4 Horry
4/3 SAR
5 Nesterovic

Horry's the primary big backup next season. SAR will help to keep Horry's regular season minutes down and he can get some spot minutes at the 3 as needed against long 3s. Rasho is kept around as trade bait, assuming the Spurs decide to go with Nazr long term.

Then next summer, Scola has no buyout and you bring him over.

Then your bigman rotation looks like

4 Duncan
5 Mohammed

4 Horry
4/3 SAR
4 Scola

You get a little smaller overall in the frontcourt, but Duncan functions as the backup center so it's not really that much of a change in the rotation. I suspect that Horry's regular season minutes will be limited if not start to decline by then, so there will be an opportunity for SAR and Scola to get some and assuming that Horry only plays 2 more seasons (2005-07) then after he leaves there are plenty of minutes for SAR and Scola.

Karl Mundt
07-06-2005, 07:36 AM
I don't know if SAR is willing to take the MLE for maybe 25 minutes a game, but if he did, you might aswell let Scola in Europe for another year. The 12 man roster would look absolutely frightening.

1. Parker 33 / Beno 15
2. Manu 28 / Barry 15 / Devin 5
3. Bowen 28 / SAR 15 / Devin 5
4. Duncan 26 / Horry 12 / SAR 10
5. Rasho 24 / Nazr 18 / Duncan 6

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2005, 09:19 AM
I just do not see how this guy is available for the MLE in the NBA. Someone is bound to give him more.

Kori Ellis
07-06-2005, 10:54 AM
Abdur-Rahim, Nets' top target, in town for two-day visit
Published in the Asbury Park Press 07/6/05
BY BOB CONSIDINE

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050706/SPORTS/507060459/1002

The Nets are ready to roll out the red carpet for Shareef Abdur-Rahim, with the hopes of not being swept under the rug.

The former All-Star forward and New Jersey's No. 1 free-agent target will begin a two-day visit with the Nets today — after coach Lawrence Frank met with him at his Atlanta home last week — and then fly on to Sacramento for a visit with the Kings.

The Nets are hoping their first impressions will be the last.

"We're trying to show interest, obviously," Nets president Rod Thorn said. "And we're trying to ascertain interest going the other way.

"Everyone knows what we have to offer. We have a trade exception we may or may not be able to use and we have a mid-level exception. But ultimately it's up to the player to decide."

The Nets, eyeing a quality power forward to join their established starting lineup of Jason Kidd, Vince Carter and Richard Jefferson, are limited in what they can offer Abdur-Rahim and face stiff competition from the likes of winning teams like the Kings, the Miami Heat and San Antonio Spurs.

The Nets have a $4.9 million trade exception and a $4.9 mid-level exception to spend on free agents. They'll need to use the trade exception on Abdur-Rahim to better compete with other teams — and they must use it by July 29. With a sign-and-trade, a team can offer one more year (a maximum of six) and bigger annual raises (10.5 percent, instead of eight percent).

Abdur-Rahim, who is averaging 19.8 points and 8.1 rebounds in his nine-year career, made $14.6 million last year. But having yet to log a minute in a playoff game, he is craving a winning situation. The Cleveland Cavaliers are the only winning team with substantial cap room, and they have not made Abdur-Rahim a priority.

The Nets figure to have certain personal advantages with Abdur-Rahim, 29. Frank and Abdur-Rahim are good friends going back to their days with the Vancouver Grizzlies in the late 1990s. Kidd and Abdur-Rahim both attended the University of California, although not simultaneously.

Conceivably, the Nets could also find Portland a willing partner in a sign-and-trade for Abdur-Rahim based on the friendship between Blazers general manager John Nash and Nets GM Ed Stefanski, although Thorn insists "business is business."

Nash has the Blazers in a youth movement. The Nets could offer a future first-round pick and cash in a possible sign-and-trade for Abdur-Rahim, who insists he will not re-sign with Portland.

Thorn said the Nets are still investigating various contingency plans. If Abdur-Rahim signs elsewhere, the Nets have free-agent forwards Donyell Marshall (more a perimeter player) and Stromile Swift (good athlete, but underachieving) on their radar.

The Nets are also looking to sign Heat free-agent guard Keyon Dooling with some of their mid-level exception. Frank made a visit to Dooling in Florida before heading out to Las Vegas for the team's summer camp.

Dex
07-06-2005, 10:56 AM
The Nets, eyeing a quality power forward to join their established starting lineup of Jason Kidd, Vince Carter and Richard Jefferson, are limited in what they can offer Abdur-Rahim and face stiff competition from the likes of winning teams like the Kings, the Miami Heat and San Antonio Spurs.

....does anybody still consider the Kings a winning team?

Quick, somebody say something about that window again. :lol

Gino2882
07-06-2005, 11:10 AM
The Kings are a troubled franchise. Webber is gone and Peja looks like a different player.

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2005, 11:11 AM
The Spurs are mentioned yet again as a suitor for Abdur-Rahim. Go figure.

Gino2882
07-06-2005, 11:21 AM
I think he has a real interest in coming here.

George Gervin's Afro
07-06-2005, 12:19 PM
Kevin (New Jersey): Hey Chad, how big are the chances of Shareef Abdur Rahim running alongside J Kidd, Vince, and RJ in a Nets uniform next season?

Chad Ford: (1:18 PM ET ) They are praying. He'd be a great fit there and both Shareef and the Nets know it. The problem is that several other teams like the Spurs are talking sign-and-trade with the Blazers. That allows them to pay more money. The Blazers are trying to work out a Rasho Nesterovic for Abdur-Rahim swap.

fyi..

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2005, 12:20 PM
Kevin (New Jersey): Hey Chad, how big are the chances of Shareef Abdur Rahim running alongside J Kidd, Vince, and RJ in a Nets uniform next season?

Chad Ford: (1:18 PM ET ) They are praying. He'd be a great fit there and both Shareef and the Nets know it. The problem is that several other teams like the Spurs are talking sign-and-trade with the Blazers. That allows them to pay more money. The Blazers are trying to work out a Rasho Nesterovic for Abdur-Rahim swap.

fyi..

Well well well. TMac, nay is he. :smokin

GhostofAlfrederickHughes
07-06-2005, 12:23 PM
From Chad Ford on ESPN.com:

http://espn.starwave.com/i/sn2.gif Chad Ford: (1:18 PM ET ) They are praying. He'd be a great fit there and both Shareef and the Nets know it. The problem is that several other teams like the Spurs are talking sign-and-trade with the Blazers. That allows them to pay more money. The Blazers are trying to work out a Rasho Nesterovic for Abdur-Rahim swap.

George Gervin's Afro
07-06-2005, 12:32 PM
Let's play along and assume this trade goes down. I am not sure what to make of the deal. On one hand the time of the dominant center is almost non-existant and picking up Rahim for the likes of the mobile big men in the league does make some sense. We had a terrible time with Stud-amire in the WCF and , at least on paper, Rahim would seem to be able to help out tremendously. On the other hand if one of our big guys went down, Nazr or Tim we would seriously suffer on the defensive end due to the lack of a 7 footer guarding the basket. I think overall our defensive scheme would suffer without a 7 footer coming off of the bench. any thoughts?

Cant_Be_Faded
07-17-2005, 11:56 PM
dangit they said he'd decide by the end of the week....its monday now and still not one damn peice of spurs FA information

screw oberto, i wanna hear about somethign exciting!

Mr. Body
07-17-2005, 11:57 PM
I'll be tremendously excited to finally learn SAR will be a Net next year.

BadlyDrawnBoy
07-17-2005, 11:58 PM
Hell o to SAR!

Spursdaone
07-18-2005, 12:06 AM
If SAR was smart he would take a pay cut to go to Miami because he would fit perfectly there and have a chance for a ring.