PDA

View Full Version : Redd, Jasikevicius, Ilkausgas joining LeBron?

Kori Ellis
07-05-2005, 02:20 PM
Redd, Jasikevicius, Ilkausgas joining LeBron?
By Chad Ford
ESPN Insider

The free-agent frenzy slowed down over the holiday weekend as NBA executives hunkered down for what appears to be an extended period of negotiations and trade talk.

League sources say that progress on working out the specifics of the new collective bargaining agreement is going slower than expected, and several NBA executives believe the league may extend the player-signing moratorium beyond the July 22 date already set by the league.

The good news is that this gives teams lots of time to formulate and reformulate their free-agent strategies. From the look of things, some teams need more time than the NBA can give them.

The bad news is that the moratorium leaves a number of teams in limbo. Remember, restricted free agents must wait an additional seven days if they sign an offer sheet with another team. That means many teams won't be able to settle their rosters until August.

In the meantime, every agent in the league is sitting back a little and waiting to see what Michael Redd does. Now that Ray Allen has agreed to return to Seattle, Redd is the other big domino that needs to fall (and set the market) before the rest of the free-agent class starts seeing their final offers.

Here's what we're hearing coming out of the holiday break:

Cavs: It's becoming clearer what new GM Danny Ferry's strategy is: He'd like to lure Michael Redd away from Milwaukee, bring in Lithuanian point guard Sarunas Jasikevicius from overseas, re-sign Zydrunas Ilgauskas and find a way to swap Drew Gooden for a more blue-collar, defense-oriented power forward.

It's not a bad plan, and it's one, if completed, that should propel the Cavs into the playoffs.

To make it happen, first Ferry has to convince Redd to agree to the home-state discount (Redd is from Ohio). That would mean Redd would lose a year of guaranteed money -- roughly $20 million, depending on what happens with the new cap figures.

It's a long shot. However, Redd hasn't agreed to the Bucks' huge max offer yet and is planning to visit Cleveland this week -- encouraging signs for the Cavs.

On most teams (including the Bucks), Redd isn't worth a max contract offer. He's a fantastic shooter, but what else does he do? He's not really a go-to guy, he isn't a great defender and he doesn't rebound or handle the ball well. However, paired next to LeBron and Ilgauskas, he might be worth the cash. The Cavs desperately need a shooter, and Redd's stroke could be deadly in Cleveland with LeBron and Ilgauskas commanding double teams.

Could is the operative word here. Joe Johnson was the team's first choice, but the Cavs believe the Suns will match any offer to him. Johnson was actually a better shooter last year, is three inches taller than Redd, can play the point and is a better defender -- and is two years younger, to boot. Before Ray Allen agreed to re-sign with Seattle, he was the Cavs' backup plan -- as a more versatile and experienced, but much older, choice. Hughes is also an option (and statistically the best of the top four guards), though everyone believes he'll re-sign with Washington.

Jasikevicius is next on the to-do list for the Cavs. He's also being wooed strongly by the Pacers and Celtics and wants to make a decision soon. The Cavs appeal to him because they're one of the few teams in the league that have starting jobs available. The asking price is high (he'd like the full $5 million mid-level exception), but he might be worth it. If the Cavs want championship experience in their point guard, Jasikevicius has it. He's won three straight Euroleague titles, leading two different squads. However, if the Cavs want a point guard who plays defense, they'd better start looking elsewhere. If Ferry can't sign Jasikevicius, look for the Cavs to switch gears and make a strong push for Antonio Daniels and Marko Jaric.

Ilgauskas is demanding more cash than the Cavs are willing to offer and appears to have a legitimate suitor in the Hawks. However, the Cavs believe his agent, Herb Rudoy, is bluffing when he claims that Ilgauskas really wants to play elsewhere. They've already added one fellow Lithuanian to the roster (draft pick Martynas Andriuskevicius) and are in the process of potentially adding another. Ilgauskas loves Cleveland and knows the Cavs are in position to offer him a big deal.

If the Cavs land Redd and Jasikevicius, they'll be left with roughly $9 to $11 million to offer Ilgauskas as a starting salary (again, depending on where the new salary cap comes in).

If Ilgauskas can't live with that, the Cavs might be better off going young and trying to lure Tyson Chandler, Samuel Dalembert or LeBron's favorite, Eddy Curry, to Cleveland.

If they can add a big, athletic, shot-blocking rebounder like Chandler or Dalembert to the mix, they could either keep Gooden or swap him for a more stable low-post scorer. Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Al Harrington, Mike Sweetney and Chris Wilcox are all available via trade or sign-and-trade.

If they keep Ilgauskas or grab a guy like Curry, the Cavs will look for a bruising, rebounding power forward who can defend and do the dirty work in the paint that Ilgauskas and Gooden don't provide. Reggie Evans, Udonis Haslem, P.J. Brown or even, yes, Carlos Boozer could be available via trade or sign-and-trade.

Knicks: A number of team executives say the Knicks have been the most active team during the first five days of the free-agency period.

Team president Isiah Thomas is trying everything to remake the team's roster. That includes, according to multiple team executives, offering Stephon Marbury to the highest bidder. The problem is that no one seems interested in the four years, $76 million left on his contract.

Thomas is willing to trade Marbury to the Sixers for Samuel Dalembert (in a sign-and-trade), according to two league sources. To get a deal to work under the CBA, the deal would have to be expanded because of base-year issues with Dalembert. A trade of Marbury and Tim Thomas for Dalembert, Jamal Mashburn, Aaron McKie and Kevin Ollie works under the cap.

The Knicks' plan would be to move Jamal Crawford to the point, with Quentin Richardson at the two. Channing Frye would play the four, with Dalembert at the five.

Would the Sixers make that trade? They would have the most dynamic (or is that combustible?) backcourt in the league (Marbury and Allen Iverson) and would get to dump two bad contracts. But losing Dalembert at center, with only Marc Jackson left to roam the middle, would be a high price to pay.

If they can't convince the Sixers to deal, the Knicks might be willing to do a smaller deal that sends Marbury to the Hawks for Al Harrington, Tony Delk and Jason Collier. If the Hawks really want veterans (see below), this could be the way to go.

Thomas also has set his sights on several other top free agents. Thomas has been wooing Kwame Brown, Antoine Walker and Stromile Swift but has only enough cash (with the mid-level exception) to bring one guy -- unless, that is, he can work out a sign-and-trade for one and use his mid-level on another. The goal, sources say, is to sign Walker with the mid-level and work out a sign-and-trade with Washington that ships Sweetney back to D.C., where he played his college ball at Georgetown.

Hawks: So you're Atlanta GM Billy Knight, you have $24 million in cap room and you have a roster filled with young swingmen like Marvin Williams, Al Harrington, Josh Smith, Josh Childress and Boris Diaw.

In a best-case scenario, you get Childress to play the two, Smith to play the three, Williams to play the four and then use Harrington and Diaw as trade bait to help lure a center and point guard via a sign-and-trade.

Given the makeup of your team, you're looking for a young point guard who can push the ball up the floor and provide some leadership and a young big man who can run the floor, block shots, rebound and provide an anchor on the defensive end.

Instead, Knight decided that the way to go is to woo Zydrunas Ilgauskas and Ray Allen with the cap room. Never mind that neither Ilgauskas nor Allen really fits what the team needs -- and that Allen immediately spurned the Hawks' overtures to return to Seattle.

Ilgauskas may be the best offensive center on the market, but he's old, lumbering, has a history of feet problems and doesn't play defense. Allen, likewise, was hardly the best long-term solution for Atlanta.

That's just part of the problem. Players like Ilgauskas and Allen have about the same level of interest in playing in Atlanta that Kenyon Martin and Erick Dampier had last year. They needed a team to make a big offer to drive up their price on the market. Surely Knight has to see this, yet he's still tying up valuable time trying to make a run at them while alienating the free agents he actually has a chance to sign.

What happened to the Hawks' stance, all year, that they would make a run at a young big guy like Dalembert, Chandler or Curry? Or a younger two-guard like Joe Johnson?

According to sources, Knight has gotten cold feet on the young guys because they're restricted free agents. Knight fears that the offers will be matched and the Hawks will go through yet another summer without a significant free-agent signing.

The fears are justified. The Sixers, Bulls and Suns are telling everyone they'll match any offer, and all three teams seem to have positioned themselves to do just that.

The question is, why does Knight care? He has nothing to lose. He has enough cap room to make two max offers. He has valuable trade assets he could offer to teams for sign-and-trades. By making a run at a young guy he likes, he locks up his cap room for seven days. If the team matches, he loses. But if he doesn't make a solid offer in the first place, he loses anyway.

Rockets: They also have been wooing Walker, hoping that Boston would be willing to take a player or two in the last year of their deals to facilitate a sign-and-trade. The Rockets have a number of tradable assets in the last year of their contracts, including David Wesley, Clarence Weatherspoon, Moochie Norris and Vin Baker. Stromile Swift and Bobby Simmons also have been targets.

Nuggets: We're still scratching our heads over Cuttino Mobley's decision to give up more than $6 million in guaranteed money to opt out of his contract with the Kings. However, it sounds like he's found a suitor in the Nuggets willing to spend their full mid-level for his shooting abilities. Denver is also taking a hard look at Jaric.

ChumpDumper
07-05-2005, 02:34 PM
Ilgauskas is demanding more cash than the Cavs are willing to offer and appears to have a legitimate suitor in the Hawks.Damn those Hawks are stupid. Why make an expensive run at such an old guy when they are years away from even thinking about the playoffs?

King
07-05-2005, 02:37 PM
Damn those Hawks are stupid. Why make an expensive run at such an old guy when they are years away from even thinking about the playoffs?

Who else is going to sign out-right with them?

timvp
07-05-2005, 02:39 PM
If the Hawks sign Zydrunas, they might as well fold as a franchise. Even if they can't get anyone this season, tank again and get another high draft pick and keep the salary room open. That makes much more sense and would bring the team closer to winning a championship than signing an aging center who is a foot sprain away from retirement.

spvrs
07-05-2005, 02:53 PM

ChumpDumper
07-05-2005, 02:57 PM
Who else is going to sign out-right with them?Anyone they choose to overpay -- they'd be overpaying Z anyway. They really don't have much to lose by throwing offer sheets out to guys like Dalembert or Hunter (whom they could get rather easily since PHX used most of their MLE on Raja Bell).

I'd throw $3 million a year and a starting gig to Hunter before blowing $10 million a year on Ilgauskas. And that would be after forcing other teams' hands by signing guys like Dalembert or Pachulia to offer sheets.

Hell, were I Knight I'd pay Stromile Swift $10 million before I'd pay Z. And I don't like that guy at all....

ChumpDumper
07-05-2005, 02:59 PM
the air's pretty thin on that mountain up thereYou're in a vaccuum if you think Z is a good defender.

Tell me again how Diaw fits into their plans? All you said was they were shopping him for a pick.

Edited yourself already? Thin indeed.

spvrs
07-05-2005, 03:03 PM
shouldn't have commented at all, I thought your post was refering back to our discussion on Rasho. I'm hoping that you were just commenting on what a retarded move that would be by the hawks... (disregarding that it's probably coming from his agent anyway)

ChumpDumper
07-05-2005, 03:05 PM
I'm hope that you were just commenting on what a retarded move that would be by the hawks...That's exactly what I did.

Whatever you think the trade value would be, Rasho would be a better fit at this point in the Hawks' "development."

spvrs
07-05-2005, 03:15 PM
Chump if you're going to assign ever rumour out there to back up your point then you probably can dream your right on any opinion you have.

'Rasho for Cap Space + Diaw' is almost as far fetched as 'Rasho for Deng and Niocini'

gm homeritis is when you value your own players too much. Only cure is to look on other message boards and look at their proposed trades..

ChumpDumper
07-05-2005, 03:21 PM
Chump if you're going to assign ever rumourWhen have I ever "assigned" a rumor? I merely made a suggestion.
'Rasho for Cap Space + Diaw' is almost as far fetched as 'Rasho for Deng and Niocini'In what way?

1) Atlanta is considering spending $10 million on a center that doesn't fit their needs. You can deny it, but I've seen multiple sources on this one.

2) They are looking to trade Diaw. You said so yourself. They would do it for a pick. Rasho is worth more than any pick you could get for Diaw.

Tell me why this is so outlandish.

Tell me how the Hawk's couldn't use Rasho.

Tell me how a guy who doesn't start for the worst team in the league is worth more than a starting NBA center in trade.

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 03:26 PM
I would also add:

3) The Spurs have dealt with the Hawks recently. Granted, it was a swap of 2nd round picks, but it's not like a bunch of teams are lining up to deal with a team that's won two titles in the last three seasons.

ChumpDumper
07-05-2005, 03:28 PM
In a best-case scenario, you get Childress to play the two, Smith to play the three, Williams to play the four and then use Harrington and Diaw as trade bait to help lure a center and point guard via a sign-and-trade.How crazy is that?

spvrs
07-05-2005, 03:30 PM
Rasho is a decent center with a contract as an albatross. Cap space is fantastic to have (Sacramento gave a pick for Utah to take a player who had 1 year). Diaw is valuable as his contract is small and people are interested ...

So basically they'd be doing us a huge favor PLUS sending us a pick. It's totally onesided.

If the hawks were one piece away, they couldn't sign anyone else, maybe they'd do it (nah... probably not).

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 03:32 PM
Actually, Rasho's contract is pretty fair for his size and skill set.

timvp
07-05-2005, 03:33 PM
Rasho > Zydrunas

Considering that Z wants a contract starting at like $10M.

ChumpDumper
07-05-2005, 03:34 PM
Rasho is a decent center with a contract as an albatross.Only if a team doesn't play him -- he'd be paid just as much or more were he a free agent this summer.
Cap space is fantastic to haveThey would still have $18 million in cap space after this trade -- and they'd have a starting center locked up for the next four seasons.
Diaw is valuable as his contract is small and people are interested .Who? For what? A starting center?

spvrs
07-05-2005, 03:36 PM
Rasho couldn't hold Z's jock. Next year Z's contract will be like Rasho's now...

So Chad Ford mentions the word 'center' and that validates your argument how?

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 03:37 PM
Z is not going to sign a deal starting at $6 mil.

ChumpDumper
07-05-2005, 03:39 PM
So Chad Ford mentions the word 'center' and that validates your argument how?If you need help understanding the sentence, just say so.

spvrs
07-05-2005, 03:41 PM
Z is not going to sign a deal starting at $6 mil.

meaning his contract will be an albatross...

Who? For what? A starting center?

If they package it with cap space they can get a high pick to draft one or a much better center than Rasho...

spvrs
07-05-2005, 03:44 PM
If you need help understanding the sentence, just say so.

Sure please help me. so does this mean any center? How about TMass he plays center?

so since he said trade and center doesn't mean they'd do it for any center... Rasho is declining, overpaid, milktoast...

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 03:44 PM
Actually, Rasho's contract as of today has four seasons and $30.24 mil left on it. That's a fairly attractive price for a 29 year old center with his skill set and experience. Not exactly an "albatross".

ChumpDumper
07-05-2005, 03:49 PM
If they package it with cap space they can get a high pick to draft one or a much better center than Rasho...In what universe does that happen?

Please find me one instance where a former #21 who ended up playing 15mpg at the end of the season and cap space got a high draft pick #10 or higher.
It's totally onesided.In what way?

Atlanta gets this:

A starting center for a 15mpg forward. When is the last time they had one? Mutombo?

SA gets this:

A salary dump and a project defensive forward who won't play more than 15mpg for them either.

Ultimately your argument is Diaw > Rasho, since cap space is a nonissue when you would still have enough for a max player when you're done.

spvrs
07-05-2005, 03:52 PM
Ultimately your argument is Diaw > Rasho, since cap space is a nonissue when you would still have enough for a max player when you're done.

are you saying their isn't an opportunity cost to using the cap space? I gave you a perfect example of cap space being worth something Keon Clark + draft pick to Utah...

ChumpDumper
07-05-2005, 03:55 PM
are you saying their isn't an opportunity cost to using the cap space?That's exactly what I'm saying. They'd still have $18 million in cap space after this trade which fills their biggest need.

This is just the kind of opportunity you get cap space for, if it is available.
? I gave you a perfect example ... Keon Clark + draft pick to Utah...And I'm giving you a perfect example ... Rasho to Atlanta ...

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 03:55 PM
Hotlanta has to pay somebody to play for them. Rasho is an adequate enough center for them for the next couple of seasons. At least for the time being they wouldn't have to look for a starting center. Rasho's made for the running game. With guys like Josh Smith, Marvin Williams, Salim Stoudamire and Josh Childress they need a bigman who can board, block some shots, start the break with a pass and generally stay the fuck out of the way.

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 03:57 PM
Atlanta has like 10 small forwards. Parting with Diaw and landing a starting center would seem like a pretty good deal for them. Holt Cat gets to trim some long term salary expense from the budget. Win-win.

Perhaps the Spurs should try for something more with them...

spvrs
07-05-2005, 04:03 PM
Ultimately your argument is Diaw > Rasho,
this is what you said. that was never my argument.

Just because a team (in this case Atlanta) needs a center and has cap space doesn't mean they will take a stiff. It doesn't matter how many small forwards alt. has, what matters is if anyone will give up anything for it. You see to be trying to make this into me arguing that the Hawks don't need a center...

ultimately you want near equal value... cap space + diaw is greater than Rasho

Keon Clark had one year on his contract and was cut... Sac. paid that too. so Utah got a draft pick for renting it's unused cap space... but Rasho's 30 million cap sapce hit requires you to give away a former first rounder, :drunk

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 04:05 PM
Problem for you is, Rasho is not a stiff. He's my least favorite Spur, but he's definitely not a stiff considering what else passes for a bigman in the league.

ChumpDumper
07-05-2005, 04:06 PM
Just because a team (in this case Atlanta) needs a center and has cap space doesn't mean they will take a stiff.They're talking to Z, aren't they?
It doesn't matter how many small forwards alt., what matters is if anyone will give up anything for it.Would a team be smart to hang on to its 15mpg forward instead of getting a starting center?
You see to be trying to make this into me arguing that the Hawks don't need a center.You seem to be arguing that the 15mpg forward is of more use to them.

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 04:08 PM
Honestly, Diaw for Rasho is a fairly one-sided deal...for the Hawks. The Spurs could get a lot more if they were willing to take back salary.

spvrs
07-05-2005, 04:09 PM
You seem to be arguing that the 15mpg forward is of more use to them.
when? I'm saying there is no way in hell they are going to use this asset on Rasho

They're talking to Z, aren't they?
could be... I doubt it

in case you missed it:
Keon Clark had one year on his contract and was cut... Sac. paid that too. so Utah got a draft pick for renting it's unused cap space... but Rasho's 30 million cap sapce hit requires you to give away a former first rounder, :drunk

ChumpDumper
07-05-2005, 04:10 PM
ultimately you want near equal value... cap space + diaw is greater than RashoIn what world? Who do you see them getting for that?

Dalembert?

Next year's #1?

This year's #1?

This year's number #10?

One of the 10 or so centers that could be considered better than Rasho?

Z for $10 million?

Such a deal would likely involve taking on a whole lot of crap - so much for the value of the cap space. I'm not saying it's impossible, but really -- who is on the block that is so much better?

spvrs
07-05-2005, 04:12 PM
My guess is that Atlanta would want someone like Kaman.

Just because you have cap space doesn't mean you have to use it. If there isn't a better deal out there does that make this a good deal... (HINT: No)

ChumpDumper
07-05-2005, 04:12 PM
I'm saying there is no way in hell they are going to use this asset on Rasho
So what are they going to get for this asset?

ChumpDumper
07-05-2005, 04:14 PM
My guess is that Atlanta would want someone like Kaman.Try mentioning someone who actually has a chance of being traded.
Just because you have cap space doesn't mean you have to use it. If there isn't a better deal out there does that make this a good deal... (HINT: No)It is a good deal on its face. And Knight is on the clock to make something happen this summer with the cap space -- of this there is no doubt.

spvrs
07-05-2005, 04:15 PM
So what are they going to get for this asset?

WHO CARES!!! My point was only that it's a one sided trade that woudl never happen

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 04:16 PM
Rasho also gives the Hawks a starting center for the next 3 to 4 seasons. The Spurs can find a better deal elsewhere.

ChumpDumper
07-05-2005, 04:16 PM
in case you missed it:
Keon Clark had one year on his contract and was cut... Sac. paid that too. so Utah got a draft pick for renting it's unused cap space... but Rasho's 30 million cap sapce hit requires you to give away a former #1I didn't miss it -- it just isn't relevant. Atlanta would use Rasho as a starting center.

ChumpDumper
07-05-2005, 04:17 PM
My point was only that it's a one sided trade that woudl never happenI doubt Rasho is on the block -- but it's quite a good deal for Atlanta.

spvrs
You mentioned a trade that I think a homer gm, I called it out. You disagree..

Is this a battle blog?
:lol

Marcus Bryant
WHO CARES!!! My point was only that it's a one sided trade that woudl never happen

Yeah, it's one-sided...for the Hawks. The Spurs could get much more than a 3 man who hasn't really shown much in the league.

ChumpDumper
07-05-2005, 04:18 PM
Is this a battle blog?Diaw > Rasho isn't much of an argument.

spvrs
07-05-2005, 04:19 PM
I didn't miss it -- it just isn't relevant. Atlanta would use Rasho as a starting center.

you said I was arguing for Diaw > Rasho... I was showing an example of the value of cap space. how's that irrelevant?

spvrs
07-05-2005, 04:20 PM
nice you've been able to distill my argument into something I've never said and totally destroy it.. done like the true guru you are...

you can be crowned King of the Homer GMS... :king

ChumpDumper
07-05-2005, 04:21 PM
I was showing an example of the value of cap space.I showed that they still have $18 million in cap space and that this is exaclty the kind of deal you get cap space for.
you can be crowned King of the Homer GMS.I'm quite realistic. You can be crowned the king of 15mpg forward GMs.

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 04:22 PM
What if Hotlanta can't find enough free agents to use their cap space on? As if that is unheard of...

ChumpDumper
07-05-2005, 04:23 PM
There's always Collier....

Nah, the Hawks wouldn't trade him for Rasho either, right?

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 04:24 PM
Atlanta would have to give the Spurs something more than Diaw back for Rasho.

ChumpDumper
07-05-2005, 04:27 PM
Atlanta would have to give the Spurs something more than Diaw back for Rasho.One would think -- if Billy doesn't lock up a center by training camp the throw-ins likely increase.

If he still has a job by then.

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 04:31 PM
There are plenty of teams desperate for a center in the NBA. Diaw is chump change compared to what the Spurs could land if they were willing to take back a contract. Golden State seems like a natural target.

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 04:35 PM
Dunleavy Jr. would be a great fit at the 3 in SA long term. Great handles, stroke from outside, length, court vision, rebounding, etc...If the Spurs could somehow weasel him away for Rasho and change or whatever....hmmm...

ChumpDumper
07-05-2005, 04:37 PM
Diaw is chump change compared to what the Spurs could land if they were willing to take back a contract.Well the only reason I floated this idea is if the Spurs were looking mainly for a salary dump. Memphis would be a candidate for contract-for-contract deals. GS might want to roll with what they have in Foyle, Taft, Murphy, Biedrins and Zarko.

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 04:39 PM
Yeah, Battier for Rasho makes a lot of sense for both sides.

Battier has pretty much hit a plateau as a player. Memphis has excess 3s and their lone bigman of note has one year left on his deal and wants to GTFO.

From the Spurs' perspective, the last position to be locked up for the next 3 to 5 years would be taken care of. Battier's contract is quite attractive, all things considered in today's NBA: 5 years and about $30 mil or so left on it.

Battier is the consumate team player, has good size for the 3, good shot, will defend, wants to win, cerebral, relatively young (turns 27 this September), etc.

Gino2882
07-05-2005, 04:53 PM
I would think Buford would want more than Boris Diaw for Rasho.

Rasho for Josh Smith or Josh Childres...

ChumpDumper
07-05-2005, 04:56 PM
Yeah, Battier for Rasho makes a lot of sense for both sides.I don't know if West would be more willing to let Posey go, or if we'd bite.

Rasho does seem to be a "missing piece" type for them, though they're probably looking for someone at the point as well.
I would think Buford would want more than Boris Diaw for Rasho. I doubt Knight would go for that -- that's all he has to show for the last two seasons, and those guys really came on at the end of the year. The saved salary might be enough -- or a third team could get involved and offer its player to the Spurs for the Hawks' cap space. Then it gets complicated....

Gino2882
07-05-2005, 04:57 PM
James Posey doesnt fit the bill for a Spur SF. Battier does but that only works if Bowen is the starter for just the upcoming season.

Mark in Austin
07-05-2005, 07:29 PM
:lol reading a Chumpdumper vs spvrs arguement reminds me a lot of Chumpdumper vs. whottt. It just takes less time to get through the thread.

ps... Anybody who argues that Atlanta wouldn't take Rasho for Diaw needs to have their head examined. Rash's contract is very attractive for a starting center of his skill. If ATL could lock down the center position for the next four years and still have 18 million to spend this season, they would do it in a heartbeat. What good is capspace if nobody will sign with you? (Like what happened last summer to ... ATLANTA. d'oh!)

It's the Spurs who are more likely to not do this deal.

Mark in Austin
07-05-2005, 08:40 PM
Redd, Jasikevicius, Ilkausgas joining LeBron?
By Chad Ford
ESPN Insider

Jasikevicius is next on the to-do list for the Cavs. He's also being wooed strongly by the Pacers and Celtics and wants to make a decision soon. The Cavs appeal to him because they're one of the few teams in the league that have starting jobs available. The asking price is high (he'd like the full $5 million mid-level exception), but he might be worth it. If the Cavs want championship experience in their point guard, Jasikevicius has it. He's won three straight Euroleague titles, leading two different squads. However, if the Cavs want a point guard who plays defense, they'd better start looking elsewhere. If Ferry can't sign Jasikevicius, look for the Cavs to switch gears and make a strong push for Antonio Daniels and Marko Jaric.

If Chad Ford, europlayer pimp extrodinare says Jasikevicius might be worth the MLE, I wouldn't offer more than the LLE.

SequSpur
07-05-2005, 10:38 PM
http://www.concept-pkg.com/Downloadable_Files/combination%20padlock%201.jpg

midgetonadonkey
07-05-2005, 10:39 PM
Dude, seriously, what's with the fucking locks??????

ChumpDumper
07-06-2005, 01:01 AM
"Horry to Miami"

Mr. Body
07-06-2005, 01:19 AM
Battier for Nesterovic doesn't work under the CBA.

ChumpDumper
07-06-2005, 01:28 AM
Battier for Nesterovic doesn't work under the CBA.They could just throw in Big Jake.

Mr. Body
07-06-2005, 01:37 AM
They could just throw in Big Jake.

Doesn't work, either.

ChumpDumper
07-06-2005, 01:53 AM
Doesn't work, either.Is Battier a base year player? That's the only way that doesn't work.

Mr. Body
07-06-2005, 01:56 AM
Check out realgm.com. It may be wrong but it's not letting me trade these players, not the way they match up.

ChumpDumper
07-06-2005, 01:58 AM
realgm doesn't even have this year's salaries in it yet.

Mr. Body
07-06-2005, 02:03 AM
Unless there's some major provisions amending the CBA, I don't see how their salaries or how they work will change much over this summer. It looks like some other team must get involved to get this trade to work.

ChumpDumper
07-06-2005, 02:04 AM
Unless there's some major provisions amending the CBAThere are.

TheTruth
07-06-2005, 02:05 AM
We could get a whole lot more for Rasho then Diaw and some cap space. I agree with Marcus and think the Spurs should make a hard run at Battier.

Mr. Body
07-06-2005, 02:06 AM
There are.

Do tell.

constantstate
07-06-2005, 02:08 AM
We could get a whole lot more for Rasho then Diaw and some cap space. I agree with Marcus and think the Spurs should make a hard run at Battier.

man that would be SO sweet.

nazr/duncan/large man who looks like he can rebound
duncan/horry/scola
bowen/battier
manu/barry
parker/beno/vet point

ChumpDumper
07-06-2005, 02:13 AM
The requirement of salaries having to be within 15% + $100,000 has been eased to 25% + $100k. If the salaries in hoopshype are correct, Shane + Jake should work. Even if he's a base year player, the numbers might work with Jake in there.

Mr. Body
07-06-2005, 02:27 AM
Gotcha. Jake has some kind of trade clause, which might be a barrier.

ChumpDumper
07-06-2005, 02:30 AM
There could always be something not listed on those sites. Tough to know everything.