PDA

View Full Version : Rooting help

TheMACHINE
03-06-2013, 10:01 PM
Ok..so I finally decided to root my Note2. I dont know how or where to start. Someone please point me to the right direction...also..anything I should be aware of?

Drachen
03-06-2013, 10:15 PM
http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1794

lefty
03-06-2013, 11:05 PM
Root MFer!!!

resistanze
03-06-2013, 11:12 PM
Root MFer!!!:lol

Particularly, check out mskip's all-in-one rootkit (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1923956). I used his S3 and Nexus 7 kits, easy as pie.

lefty
03-06-2013, 11:54 PM
:lol

Particularly, check out mskip's all-in-one rootkit (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1923956). I used his S3 and Nexus 7 kits, easy as pie.
You got an S3 and a Nexus 7?

resistanze
03-06-2013, 11:55 PM
You got an S3 and a Nexus 7?

Rooted my friend's S3 and pre-rooted the N7 I gave my mother for X-Mas :lol

lefty
03-06-2013, 11:56 PM
Rooted my friend's S3 and pre-rooted the N7 I gave my mother for X-Mas :lol

Ah ok

So you are not sold on a tablet yet

resistanze
03-07-2013, 12:00 AM
Ah ok

So you are not sold on a tablet yet
Nope, smartphone + laptop still. Hell, I might even buy a new laptop before I buy a tablet.

lefty
03-07-2013, 12:12 AM
Nope, smartphone + laptop still. Hell, I might even buy a new laptop before I buy a tablet.

Same combo here

TheMACHINE
03-07-2013, 01:17 AM
Omg...that shit looks confusing. ..its overwhelming.

lefty
03-07-2013, 01:48 AM
Lol and you dont even have to root an HTC lol

I was a total noob when I rooted my phone; HTC are the hardest phones to root when you are a total noob like I was :lol

I was like WTF ???

BootloaderTwrpKernelRecoveryFruitloop :wtf

But Samsung phones seem to be very easy to root :tu

It's trial and errors my friend !

resistanze
03-07-2013, 07:19 AM

:lol You're like my friend who got an HTC...head almost exploded. Just follow the video brah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=M9zF6x1MURM#!

lefty
03-07-2013, 12:15 PM
By thw way, Jen's brother, not all the ROMS for Note support multi-windows, so you will yo browse XDA forums to see which ones do.

Drachen
03-07-2013, 02:28 PM

Well, if you want, I will trade you my rooted evo 3d for your Note 2 so that you don't have to even go through all of this. I am just a stand up guy, that is all.

resistanze
03-07-2013, 02:58 PM
Well, if you want, I will trade you my rooted evo 3d for your Note 2 so that you don't have to even go through all of this. I am just a stand up guy, that is all.

I'll be happy to take that Nexus off your hands, as I wouldn't want you to have the burden of 2 devices, tbh.

Drachen
03-07-2013, 03:21 PM
I'll be happy to take that Nexus off your hands, as I wouldn't want you to have the burden of 2 devices, tbh.

Hey, I got it for a low enough price, that if I found a problem with it, I could sell it for a profit. Shit, I have seen some S3s on craigslist for 300 bucks, but they are locked to att so I would have to unlock them, but I could probably turn and sell them for at least another 75 bucks.

and yes I know that unlocking =
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyxLGSMtqtM

lefty
03-14-2013, 12:41 AM
So ?

Trainwreck2100
03-14-2013, 09:29 AM
Hey, I got it for a low enough price, that if I found a problem with it, I could sell it for a profit. Shit, I have seen some S3s on craigslist for 300 bucks, but they are locked to att so I would have to unlock them, but I could probably turn and sell them for at least another 75 bucks.

and yes I know that unlocking =
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyxLGSMtqtM
it's only breaking the law if it's paid for with a contract subsidy

resistanze
03-14-2013, 09:45 AM

Hey get back here...we need a status report pronto.

TheMACHINE
03-15-2013, 08:42 AM
Haven't done it yet. lol

lefty
03-15-2013, 12:10 PM
Haven't done it yet. lol
You are not a real man

Rez, would you agree ?

resistanze
03-15-2013, 12:55 PM
You are not a real man

Rez, would you agree ?
Sounds like TheMACHINE has 'small' hands, tbh.

Prove us wrong, NOW.

TheMACHINE
03-15-2013, 03:48 PM
Its scary...hides*

spursncowboys
03-21-2013, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the link. I'm going to use it on my s3. I love my kindle fire because it's small enough, but yeah I don't see myself ever getting a big ass tablet.

spursncowboys
03-21-2013, 09:24 AM
TheMACHINE xda is the greatest website for rooting on anything. they are probably the best people to deal with. They never get mad at my noob questions. their irc is pretty helpful too if you need an immediate response and cannot find it in search

Phillip
03-21-2013, 11:05 AM
TheMACHINE (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=11209) xda is the greatest website for rooting on anything. they are probably the best people to deal with. They never get mad at my noob questions. their irc is pretty helpful too if you need an immediate response and cannot find it in search

are you trying to troll TheMachine?

XDA is the best place to go, but if you ask noob questions, they act like dicks about it. But its usually funny.

spursncowboys
03-21-2013, 03:13 PM
are you trying to troll TheMachine?

XDA is the best place to go, but if you ask noob questions, they act like dicks about it. But its usually funny.
Well I'm still a noob after 5 different types of rooting and never had a problem. Not even a sarcastic remark. Then again I only go one there when I have a problem or research.

Drachen
03-21-2013, 03:58 PM
Well I'm still a noob after 5 different types of rooting and never had a problem. Not even a sarcastic remark. Then again I only go one there when I have a problem or research.

I've never had a problem with this either. Most of the time the ones who get chastised are those who ask a question that was answered 2 pages ago (and 3 pages, and 7 pages....). Use the search button and you should be ok.

TheMACHINE
03-22-2013, 12:59 PM
im still scared..lol..someone point me to the verizon note 2 one pls. LOL

resistanze
03-22-2013, 01:00 PM
im still scared..lol..someone point me to the verizon note 2 one pls. LOL

Post #12 MFer

TheMACHINE
03-23-2013, 04:45 PM
Haha ill watch it later

TheMACHINE
04-02-2013, 11:16 AM
So I've been really trying to learn all about the hardcore customizations aspect of Android OS lately...Kernals, Launchers, Builds, Widgets, UCCW, Bootloaders, Rooting, Flashing, Roms etc. It's so overwhelming but I think im finally figuring out. Once I do, the sky's the limit!

I'll keep you guys posted. Im just trying to have knowledge of it all before just following the video. Thanks for your help.

lefty
04-02-2013, 11:54 AM
Good good :tu

We'll re-evaluate your manhood in a few weeks

vander
05-27-2013, 10:47 AM
i'm also going to root a note 2, but then what? other than deleting the AT&T apps, what is so great about rooting? (I have no intention of putting custom roms on it, I'm sure Samsung makes a fine stock rom"

lefty
05-27-2013, 11:25 AM
i'm also going to root a note 2, but then what? other than deleting the AT&T apps, what is so great about rooting? (I have no intention of putting custom roms on it, I'm sure Samsung makes a fine stock rom"

Ever heard of Google ?

Anyway.....

- You get rid of the bloatware, but evven if you dont put a custom ROM, there are other benefits

- root access: if you use another launcher, you will be able to use the TOuchwiz widgets (because using let's say - Nova launcher without rot access prevents you from using the manufacturer widgets)

- other tweaks such as using custom fonts

But also :

Bloatware

Having full access to your phone’s file system with all the admin rights means you can remove unwanted system applications, also known as bloatware, from your handset.
This level of access allows you to go through your device's system files and delete anything you no longer require. You’ll be amazed by just how much rubbish is packed in there – even more so when you consider the limited memory present on a lot of smartphones.
Ramp up the power

Rooting a device gives you the ability to overclock its processor. That means you can increase the clock speed of a 1GHz processor, in some cases, to as high as 1.6GHz, for example, which should translate into a pretty significant bump up in processing speed.
Combining overclocking with Custom ROMs can result in massive uplifts in the performance of your handset. We’ve heard reports of a Nexus S running with an overall increased performance of 250 per cent after a series of expertly implemented tweaks.
A bump of 250 per cent, we’d imagine, is rare and requires a lot of skill to achieve, but it does illustrate profoundly just what can be accomplished once your device is rooted.
It’s worth noting that a lot of top level modding such as this requires a very precise set of skill and knowledge, so we would advise anyone not comfortable with the science behind overclocking to proceed with caution. No-one wants to brick their brand new phone, after all.
Root-only applications

With a rooted device you also get access to plenty of bespoke applications, which can seriously add to the performance and utility of your handset. Here’s a selection of some notable examples:

DroidWall
Dual Mount SD Widget
Hexamob Recovery Pro
Keyboard Manager
LEDs Hack
Rot Call Blocker
Samba Filesharing
Titanium Backup

Improve Battery Life

A lot of Custom ROMs will improve your battery life via the removal of bloatware and unnecessary applications that hinder performance. There are plenty of power management apps out there, such as Superpower, but most work significantly better when combined with a finely tuned rooted handset.
Rooting can’t work miracles for your battery life, extending it beyond its natural limits, but it can ensure that you get an extra few hours a day from your device. And sometimes that’s all you really need.

Modification

Getting access to exclusive software bundles like HTC’s Beats Audio technology and Samsung’s Siri clone, S-Voice, usually requires that you purchase the latest hero device from said manufacturer.
With a rooted device this is no longer the case as you’re in charge of what software runs on your phone, not HTC and Samsung.
This means that once a hacker has extracted Beats Audio or S-Voice, a process that usually takes a couple of weeks, and posted it online you’re free to download it and run it on your rooted Android device.

TeyshaBlue
05-28-2013, 05:19 PM

Samsung, and I've owned 4 Samsung phones, makes a pretty mediocre rom. Deleting a ton of Samsung bloat, in addition to the ATT bloat, helps tremendously. I'm running a rooted, completely debloated Sammy rom and the only reason I do is to take advantage of the s-pen integration with the TW framework. I've run many custom Roms, but I've always missed the spen complete functionality that only the TouchWiz framework provides.

lefty
05-28-2013, 05:31 PM
Samsung, and I've owned 4 Samsung phones, makes a pretty mediocre rom. Deleting a ton of Samsung bloat, in addition to the ATT bloat, helps tremendously. I'm running a rooted, completely debloated Sammy rom and the only reason I do is to take advantage of the s-pen integration with the TW framework. I've run many custom Roms, but I've always missed the spen complete functionality that only the TouchWiz framework provides.
yup I forgot to add that; look for TW based ROMS for S-PEN features

Trainwreck2100
05-29-2013, 02:49 AM

anakha
05-29-2013, 08:40 PM
In his defense, if he has a Note 2 and wants to retain S-Pen features, he can't really use AOSP ROMs.

lefty
09-21-2013, 06:24 PM
In his defense, if he has a Note 2 and wants to retain S-Pen features, he can't really use AOSP ROMs.
This

TheMACHINE, did you man up ?

TheMACHINE
09-23-2013, 12:27 AM
This

TheMACHINE, did you man up ?

nope cuz i have a Note 2 and want to retain S-Pen features, I can't really use AOSP ROMs.

lefty
09-23-2013, 01:08 AM
nope cuz i have a Note 2 and want to retain S-Pen features, I can't really use AOSP ROMs.

You can use Touchwiz based ROMs

TheMACHINE
09-25-2013, 01:05 PM
Hush.