PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Will Durant be remembered as the guy that played in Lebron's era?

ElNono
03-06-2013, 11:30 PM
Kinda like Malone, Barkley... great players that just happened to play during MJ's reign... eventually their stock took a hit because the couldn't get it done against the far superior player... is KD heading that way, tbh?

Clipper Nation
03-06-2013, 11:39 PM
He's the Drexler to LeBron's MJ, tbh...

HarlemHeat37
03-06-2013, 11:43 PM
Meh, Karl Malone was a perennial choker that harmed his own championship dreams just as much as Jordan did, tbh..

Barkley had poor supporting casts late in his Philly tenure, but outside of '93, his title chances weren't affected by Jordan..MJ was out of the league in 1994 and 1995 and Barkley's Suns failed to make the Finals..

The rest of the stars that Jordan dominated were not elite players that had legendary potential, tbh(Ewing, Miller, etc)..

Durant is a better player(considering today's rules and his officiating bias) than virtually all of those players..his career trajectory will be determined by his growth as an alpha, tbh..Westbrook is clearly the leader and alpha on the Thunder team, which is detrimental to their title hopes..

spurraider21
03-06-2013, 11:44 PM
Malone couldn't make it out of the West in the window he had where MJ was out... that's on him

ElNono
03-06-2013, 11:45 PM
valid points, tbh...

baseline bum
03-06-2013, 11:48 PM
Nah, this will be Durant's league in 4 years or so, and you never know if Miami shits the bed against a weak team like the Lakers did in 81 or 86, so maybe he rings sooner. Like Harlem pointed out in another thread, Durant is an enormous step up from whoever is #3 in the league.

TDMVPDPOY
03-06-2013, 11:55 PM
this also applies to kome also...just another nigga playin in lebrons era

HarlemHeat37
03-06-2013, 11:56 PM
I was going to apply the Bird-Magic analogy to my argument, but the disparity between today's elite players and the rest of the field is much greater..

That era had a few guys that were close to Magic and Bird's level, if not on the same level(young MJ, for example)..Lebron is clearly the best player in the NBA, and although Durant isn't his equal, he's a step or two above the rest of the NBA..

Lincoln
03-06-2013, 11:58 PM
Why are people forgetting that it was just in 2011 where LeBron had a top 5 player on his team and a top 15 player on his team and choked cock in the finals. He scored 8 points in one finals game. Is that GOAT worthy? Fuck no. LeBron has put these bullshit regular seasons together for years and has 1 title to show for it out of 3 trips. 2007 ill give him a pass cause his team was dogshit but in 2012 his team came out of a shitty ass eastern conference.

Altho he will prob repeat again this year because I don't see a team that can beat the Heat besides the Spurs and they match up horribly with OKC.

ElNono
03-06-2013, 11:58 PM
My only doubt with KD is his extreme reliance on freebies... I think last time I checked it was 45%+ of his points. Lebron is nowhere near that, and he's by far much more physically dominant, so you would think he would fetch more fouls...

InRareForm
03-07-2013, 12:00 AM
If Durant loses to Lebron again in finals, it's hard to climb from a 2-0 deficit tbh...

Lincoln
03-07-2013, 12:01 AM
Durant is a pussy bitch too. He can score but he just has a soft as fuck mentality like a beta male as my nigga harlem alluded to. He needs to grow some balls imo. Outside of his jumper, he doesn't scare me tbh. He has an average at best post game and needs refs to give him 8+ FT a game.

he needs to learn how to wash his disgusting ass face as well.

HI-FI
03-07-2013, 12:04 AM
Durant will most likely get a ring soon. The blatant officiating is making it pretty obvious that's the direction it's going in. At some point the Heatles will have a down year, and that's when Durant will get in, though I don't know how much more ref help they can receive without everyone noticing.

Calispursfan11
03-07-2013, 12:06 AM
Durantula is amazing tbh... He doesn't need to live in the shadow of Lebron for much longer, plus he's much younger than Lebron and will be dominating the league long after Lebron is past his prime. I don't think that the Drexler MJ analogy is accurate. The Magic-Bird comparison is much closer.

HarlemHeat37
03-07-2013, 12:21 AM
Durant-Bird is a good comparison, from their game and supporting casts to their grotesque, hideous appearance, tbh..

InRareForm
03-07-2013, 12:35 AM
There's a lot of good, near great teams being architected right now for the future, I don't think Durant getting rings is just going to happen like clockwork after lebron.

monosylab1k
03-07-2013, 12:37 AM
Durant-Bird is a good comparison, from their game and supporting casts to their grotesque, hideous appearance, tbh..

:lmao

jeebus
03-07-2013, 12:41 AM
Durant's only 24 and has no place to go but up. Lebron however is at his peak and on his way out and is already showing he can't win the title unless he rides the coattails of someone else. He'll be hanging out with Steve Francis in a couple years.

Calispursfan11
03-07-2013, 12:47 AM
Durant's only 24 and has no place to go but up. Lebron however is at his peak and on his way out and is already showing he can't win the title unless he rides the coattails of someone else. He'll be hanging out with Steve Francis in a couple years.

True, Lebron can only maintain this level of play for 2 more years max. Once he breaks 30, you'll start seeing appreciable decline.

Findog
03-07-2013, 12:58 AM
LeBron is 28, Durant is 24. LeBron didn't ring till he was 27. Who knows if the Heat will even be able to keep their super team together under the new CBA. As long as Kevin Durants plays basketball for a team that has Sam Presti as his GM, he will ring at some point in the next five years.

Latarian Milton
03-07-2013, 02:48 AM
durant will have his ring when my nigga gets bored of winning a few years from now, but durant may as well move out of the shitty franchise he currently plays for if he wants to ring sooner, or to ever win a ring. a real contender like the spurs of the 2000s would never sell their #3 or arguably #2 best player for the price of a jackass tbh

Cry Havoc
03-07-2013, 02:51 AM

Disagree. Bird was a fantastic shit talker and way more of a leader than Durant ever has thought about being. Bird was in your face, all game, every game, trying to take you down at every angle he could. Basically every great one did this in some facet or another. Meanwhile Durant's flailing out past the 3 point line and trying to draw fouls. Durant picking up some fake tough guy technicals because he bitches to the refs and wants to be seen as having an "edge" is fucking hilarious. He'll never be close to Bird in that regard unless he seriously overhauls his attitude, starting by dropping both the fake humble act and the wannabe tough guy act (weaker shit than Kobe's hypochondria, tbh). When I see KD get in a player's face and MENTALLY take them out of their game, when I see him just remove a dude from the court through willpower alone, then he'll be worthy. Until then, he isn't going to do anything but pile up playoff exits.

HarlemHeat37
03-07-2013, 03:00 AM
I already stated that Durant would have to develop alpha traits to make it to a championship level, but to be fair, it's a different era, tbh..

There aren't any new-school players that exhibit the type of attitude that was prominent in the 80s, especially among superstars..Lebron didn't develop a ruthless mentality until last year, for instance..

Wade demonstrates it..after those 2 players, there's a mostly blank list, tbh..Dwight Howard? certainly not..Derrick Rose? sometimes, but he shriveled up in the biggest series of his career..Chris Paul displays traits of a ruthless competitor, but he disappears in key moments..

Carmelo? No..Irving? Maybe, but it's too soon to say..Curry? Soft..Harden? Didn't display it in the Finals..

The only other guy I would add to the list is Russell Westbrook, tbh..he's an alpha, he runs his mouth, he attacks..

Durant needs to develop alpha traits, but he does not need to be as tough and strong-willed as Bird, the NBA game has changed..stylistically, the comparison is fitting, tbh..

Latarian Milton
03-07-2013, 03:33 AM
I already stated that Durant would have to develop alpha traits to make it to a championship level, but to be fair, it's a different era, tbh..

There aren't any new-school players that exhibit the type of attitude that was prominent in the 80s, especially among superstars..Lebron didn't develop a ruthless mentality until last year, for instance..

Wade demonstrates it..after those 2 players, there's a mostly blank list, tbh..Dwight Howard? certainly not..Derrick Rose? sometimes, but he shriveled up in the biggest series of his career..Chris Paul displays traits of a ruthless competitor, but he disappears in key moments..

Carmelo? No..Irving? Maybe, but it's too soon to say..Curry? Soft..Harden? Didn't display it in the Finals..

The only other guy I would add to the list is Russell Westbrook, tbh..he's an alpha, he runs his mouth, he attacks..

Durant needs to develop alpha traits, but he does not need to be as tough and strong-willed as Bird, the NBA game has changed..stylistically, the comparison is fitting, tbh..
you can't have two alphas on one team which's the problem. westchuck thinks he's the alpha dog over durant and he behaves like one when the long-legged fag is the better player. durant will get his ring at some point of time in the next 10 years but he'll definitely not do it while playing as a subordinate to the frog mutant

thunderup
03-07-2013, 03:36 AM
We'll ring soon.

whitemamba
03-07-2013, 03:38 AM
you can't have two alphas on one team which's the problem. westchuck thinks he's the alpha dog over durant and he behaves like one when the long-legged fag is the better player. durant will get his ring at some point of time in the next 10 years but he'll definitely not do it while playing alongside the frog mutant as his #2 banana tbh

nothing wrong with 2 alphas if the coach can "control" the egos and makes sure everyone does their job. Durant and westbrick spear chucker are all signed on for a pretty long time, tbh i find it really hard to believe that core doesnt win a championship imho.. but like u guys said hes only 24, thats still really young and he was pretty close to rining. more pressure should be on melo tbh

BatManu20
03-07-2013, 04:02 AM
The Heat have the next two championships wrapped up imo. After that, depending on what Lebron does, I could see OKC winning it. Durant will be 27 and in his prime, same with Westbrook. It all depends on Lebron tbh. If he goes back to Cleveland and teams up with Kyrie, that might really screw Durant over. If he stays in Miami and Wade's body starts to fail him, then it could be Durant's time. As great as Lebron is, I don't think he can win a title without Wade or at least another big scorer. Just Bosh and an old Wade isn't enough imo.

KaiRMD1
03-07-2013, 04:09 AM
Durant is good but he's no Lebron.......the fact that I can say that is proof that yes, Durant will just be a great player that played in the era of Lebron

spurraider21
03-07-2013, 04:16 AM
Why are people forgetting that it was just in 2011 where LeBron had a top 5 player on his team and a top 15 player on his team and choked cock in the finals. He scored 8 points in one finals game. Is that GOAT worthy? Fuck no. LeBron has put these bullshit regular seasons together for years and has 1 title to show for it out of 3 trips. 2007 ill give him a pass cause his team was dogshit but in 2012 his team came out of a shitty ass eastern conference.

Altho he will prob repeat again this year because I don't see a team that can beat the Heat besides the Spurs and they match up horribly with OKC.
none of lebron's cavs teams had title worthy casts. he's been on miami for 2 years and made the finals twice. thats pretty damn good if you ask me. projected to cakewalk to a 3rd consecutive finals

Splits
03-07-2013, 05:02 AM
We'll ring soon.

http://static.themetapicture.com/media/funny-door-bell-ring.jpg

BobaFett1
03-07-2013, 09:36 AM
Durant is a elite player you cats are silly in this talk.

Richie
03-07-2013, 09:47 AM
The Heat aren't unbeatable, but the Thunder aren't built to beat them. They have nobody who can score down low and won't be able to take advantage of the Heats lack of size.

Solution would have been renew Harden, trade Westbrook for a big man (Marc Gasol?)

OKC
03-07-2013, 11:22 AM
The Heat aren't unbeatable, but the Thunder aren't built to beat them. They have nobody who can score down low and won't be able to take advantage of the Heats lack of size.

Solution would have been renew Harden, trade Westbrook for a big man (Marc Gasol?)

As spectacular as I think Westbrook can be, that makes a lot of sense. Hell, even just having Fisher out there running the point and setting guys up - plus Harden can run the point. Gasol is the big guy OKC has never had.

Phillip
03-07-2013, 11:31 AM
True, Lebron can only maintain this level of play for 2 more years max. Once he breaks 30, you'll start seeing appreciable decline.

What a dumbass take.

Blake
03-07-2013, 11:38 AM
I don't think the question is about rings as much as it is the MVP award.

Everyone knew that MJ was the best player in the league every year, yet voters still felt obliged to give it to Barkley and Malone.

I think that situation is similar to Durant, LeBron and maybe Rose if he regains form.

Fabbs
03-07-2013, 11:48 AM
Durant is a better player(considering today's rules and his officiating bias) than virtually all of those players..his career trajectory will be determined by his growth as an alpha, tbh..Westbrook is clearly the leader and alpha on the Thunder team, which is detrimental to their title hopes..
not disagreeing with your post....

Just Durant and Westbrook in a sentence with "alpha". :lol
Maybe as the emcee at an Austin fashion show. Otherwise, no.

Koolaid_Man
03-07-2013, 11:59 AM
Kinda like Malone, Barkley... great players that just happened to play during MJ's reign... eventually their stock took a hit because the couldn't get it done against the far superior player... is KD heading that way, tbh?

:lol

The Lebron era where Kobe leads him in titles 2>1...ohhh that era

ElNono
03-07-2013, 01:20 PM
This thread is about the top player in the league for a couple of seasons now, Lebron... and second best: Durant

Fagging it up with big fonts and Pau Gasol titles is useless and irrelevant, tbh

Fabbs
03-07-2013, 04:15 PM
Koon Made :lol

dunkman
03-07-2013, 05:07 PM
Yes, the Thunder seriously messed the thing up with the Harden trade, the Heat have more talent and LeBron is also better then Durant.

Jacob1983
03-07-2013, 05:09 PM
I think he will be remembered as the guy that bitched about people playing Doodoo Jump instead of watching his shitty highlights on their phones.

Clipper Nation
03-07-2013, 05:14 PM
I don't think that the Drexler MJ analogy is accurate.

Why not? Drexler was a damn good player, probably the second-best SG in the league in his prime.... the problem is, he was always overshadowed by the best player at his position (MJ), who was a lot better than him..... it's the same dynamic with Durant and LBJ....

dunkman
03-07-2013, 05:29 PM
There wasn't any aspect of Drexler's game that was better then MJ's, so it was difficult to argue who was the better player. On the other hand Durant shots better, then LeBron, and combined with his height, he could win a championship like Dirk did it in 2011.

LkrFan
03-07-2013, 08:10 PM
Before I contribute to this thread, I have to ask: when did the "LeBron era" begin tbh. Last I checked, to be considered the best player in your generation, you must have the most rings. :downspin:

hater
03-07-2013, 08:12 PM
sure he will.

everyone that played between 80s and 2010s will be remembered either playing in Jordan era, dark era, or Lebron era.

ElNono
03-07-2013, 08:17 PM
Before I contribute to this thread, I have to ask: when did the "LeBron era" begin tbh. Last I checked, to be considered the best player in your generation, you must have the most rings. :downspin:

Check again. There's no Horry era. Now go ahead and contribute.

spursncowboys
03-07-2013, 08:22 PM
Nah, this will be Durant's league in 4 years or so, and you never know if Miami shits the bed against a weak team like the Lakers did in 81 or 86, so maybe he rings sooner. Like Harlem pointed out in another thread, Durant is an enormous step up from whoever is #3 in the league.
I would say Durant is all around better than James right now. But he'll play the rest of his career in the smallest market in all pro sports (good effort Buffalo).

Norris Cole

Although I think he is a blood infested douche and I will never root for him, LeBron James is the best player in the world. That is it and that is all.

hater

When did the King Henry era begin? obviously when he got crowned.

Lebron got crowned last summer and will be recrowned at least 1 more time this summer.

Clipper Nation
03-07-2013, 08:24 PM
I would say Durant is all around better than James right now.
:lmao :lmao :lmao

Lincoln
03-07-2013, 08:41 PM
I would say Durant is all around better than James right now. But he'll play the rest of his career in the smallest market in all pro sports (good effort Buffalo).

Lol military

Clipper Nation
03-07-2013, 08:44 PM
Lol military
:lol Neocon warriors
:lol Human pawns for Halliburton's oil profits

spursncowboys
03-07-2013, 09:00 PM
Check again. There's no Horry era. Now go ahead and contribute.
Valid question. Kobe was the biggest force in the league. At what point did Lebron's start?

spursncowboys
03-07-2013, 09:04 PM
Lol military
Lol Can't even keep Fisher.

spursncowboys
03-07-2013, 09:06 PM
:lol Neocon warriors
:lol Human pawns for Halliburton's oil profits
:lol worst effort of trolling I've seen.
:lol bringing up halliburton
:lol bringing up oil profits
Calm down Cindy
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d6/Cindy_Sheehan_VFP.jpg

ElNono
03-07-2013, 09:12 PM
Valid question. Kobe was the biggest force in the league. At what point did Lebron's start?

Ring count has nothing to do with eras... otherwise we would have the Kerr era, Horry era... it's a retarded notion... ie: 2000-2002 was Shaq's era, but Kirby received the coattailing rings...

spursncowboys
03-07-2013, 09:31 PM
Ring count has nothing to do with eras... otherwise we would have the Kerr era, Horry era... it's a retarded notion... ie: 2000-2002 was Shaq's era, but Kirby received the coattailing rings...
But you knew what he was talking about.
So when did Bron's start? It's his era because the loaded team he joined finally won it?

Captivus
03-07-2013, 09:57 PM
There's a big difference between Lebron and Durant IMO.
I don't know if there's a team that wouldn't be consider a contender if they had Lebron right now.
Now...if Lebron retires, I wont think that OKC is a look for a championship, something that I am saying now about Miami.
Very different players IMO.

To answer the question, YES; but I dont think is close between them. They way Lebron can take over games now, I would rather have him in the last quarter of the finals, than 2 Durants (maybe thats a little too much...not sure).

Durant has to step up now, who knows what players would be taking over the league in 3 years...Kyrie? Lillard? Harden?....Durant has a bigger chance to win now (not a big one) than in 3 years...IMO.

Latarian Milton
03-08-2013, 12:20 AM
durant's foul-drawing play is just atrocious tbh. son of a bitch could've just attempted the shot (like dirk usually does) and im pretty sure more than half of the shots would fall through the hoop, but the long-legged fag would rather swindle 2 easy points at the line. dude has all the skills needed for him to become a real great player but he has the mindset of a bitch's, which's definitely gonna count against his odd of etching his name parallel to the true greats such as dirk, duncan, bron etc...

ElNono
03-08-2013, 12:31 AM
But you knew what he was talking about.

I know what he was talking about, but it makes no sense in the context of what we're discussing. I can't buy the 'Kobe era' when he missed the playoffs in his prime as the man, which is why the rings argument just doesn't make sense in this discussion.
Maybe if we make the 'best coattailers' thread, then we can include him, Horry, Kerr, etc.

So when did Bron's start? It's his era because the loaded team he joined finally won it?

IMO, Lebron has been far and away the most dominant player in the league for a few years. He obviously needed to grow as a player, which he did (let's not forget MJ did too, he didn't walk into the league winning ships).
When it started it's debatable, and I'm fine with everybody having their opinion on that.

spursncowboys
03-08-2013, 12:50 AM
I know what he was talking about, but it makes no sense in the context of what we're discussing. I can't buy the 'Kobe era' when he missed the playoffs in his prime as the man, which is why the rings argument just doesn't make sense in this discussion.
Maybe if we make the 'best coattailers' thread, then we can include him, Horry, Kerr, etc. Are you seriously putting Kobe in the same category as Horry and Kerr? Blaming Kobe for not making the playoffs with a stellar team of Caron Butler, Chucky Atkins, and Chris Mehm. Coached by Rudy T?

FTR I hate Kobe. When I have a bad day, I youtube him crying when the Spurs beat him in 05.
But dude was a beast!

DPG21920
03-08-2013, 12:52 AM
Are you seriously putting Kobe in the same category as Horry and Kerr? Blaming Kobe for not making the playoffs with a stellar team of Caron Butler, Chucky Atkins, and Chris Mehm. Coached by Rudy T?

FTR I hate Kobe. When I have a bad day, I youtube him crying when the Spurs beat him in 05.
But dude was a beast!

Ya, that argument holds water when Kobe is struggling to make the playoffs with Dwight/Pau/Nash/Artest/Jamison/Clark/Blake

spursncowboys
03-08-2013, 01:27 AM
Ya, that argument holds water when Kobe is struggling to make the playoffs with Dwight/Pau/Nash/Artest/Jamison/Clark/Blake
I'm loving it, but don't think Lebron would be doing any better with the Laker's situation...Howard and him would probably both be acting like morons.

HarlemHeat37
03-08-2013, 01:29 AM
I'm loving it, but don't think Lebron would be doing any better with the Laker's situation...Howard and him would probably both be acting like morons.

:lol:lol..

spursncowboys
03-08-2013, 01:34 AM
:lol:lol..
rgZezt_ADEY

ElNono
03-08-2013, 01:52 AM
Are you seriously putting Kobe in the same category as Horry and Kerr? Blaming Kobe for not making the playoffs with a stellar team of Caron Butler, Chucky Atkins, and Chris Mehm. Coached by Rudy T?

But dude was a beast!

Just terrible stuff... Lebron made the *Finals* with Booby Gibson and a bunch of scrubs. Kobe had Odom, a young Bynum, and Butler turns out he's not that bad at all, if you watch any Clippers games....

I don't want to turn this thread in another Kobe discussion, lets just say the discussion is about the current top 2 players in the league, Lebron and KD...

Latarian Milton
03-08-2013, 07:31 PM
the time will come when my nigga gets bored of winning ships and durant starts to win something but that ain't gonna happen anytime soon i suppose. durant was born to be the #2 and he's doomed to live in the shadow of someone else his entire life. dude must be kidding himself to think he has any little chance to be better than bron, when he cant even surpass oden on the draft night and westchuck on his current team tbh

DMC
03-08-2013, 10:09 PM
So I didn't read the entire thread because I don't care to see the repetitive bickering faggotry par per thread etc...

However, Durant's problem is that he doesn't have a coach. Anyone who would let their PG take as many or more shots than Kevin Durant doesn't deserve to be coaching in the NBA. You either have a scam team where your PG makes stupid fans think the team has a chance, or you have a legit team where your PG knows your franchise guy has to get the ball as often as possible. The coach makes that decision. RW plays like he's playing for the Bobcats instead of the defending West Conference chimps... I mean champs.

DMC
03-08-2013, 10:12 PM
the time will come when my nigga gets bored of winning ships and durant starts to win something but that ain't gonna happen anytime soon i suppose. durant was born to be the #2 and he's doomed to live in the shadow of someone else his entire life. dude must be kidding himself to think he has any little chance to be better than bron, when he cant even surpass oden on the draft night and westchuck on his current team tbh

Durant doesn't have to be better than Lebron to win a ring. It's a team game. Wade is injury prone, and timing is crucial. Who's been better than Lebron over the past so many years? Lebron has 1 ring. Paul Pierce has one ring. Chauncey Billups has 1 ring. Anyone can get a ring, it just depends on how season develops. Imagine MJ goes down with a torn ACL after ring 1. We never talk about him after that, except in terms like Tmac or Bernard King.

Clipper Nation
03-08-2013, 10:13 PM

Your takes are even shittier here than they are in the political forum...

DMC
03-08-2013, 10:16 PM

Wow. So Lebron can dominate with Wade and Bosh but cannot do anything with Howard, Nash and Pau Gasol? Really? There's not a team in the league that couldn't get to the conference finals with Lebron on the team. Maybe the Blazers because he would be in a wheelchair.