PDA

View Full Version : Tiagos hit in lower mid section

wyn50
03-07-2013, 01:28 AM
Was that a cheap shot or accidental. I just saw Tiago in pain.

TrueSpursFan
03-07-2013, 01:36 AM
Accident

racm
03-07-2013, 01:47 AM
Just Nazr going up. Collateral damage tbh.

TampaDude
03-07-2013, 05:05 PM
Looked deliberate to me. Jack got him on the next possession, though.

phxspurfan
03-07-2013, 05:18 PM
Accident. Everyone knows Tiago doesn't have barely anything there anyway

FuzzyLumpkins
03-07-2013, 05:19 PM
NBA players know what happens when you lead with your knee like that. I don't think he meant to go for the jimmy but it was hardly an accident.

AussieFanKurt
03-07-2013, 05:23 PM
Was ABAKA like, suspend Nazr

hooperflash
03-07-2013, 05:35 PM
Posted by Brunodf in the GIF Thread

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2280625/splitterpain.gif

Obstructed_View
03-07-2013, 05:51 PM
That wasn't an accident.

Man In Black
03-07-2013, 06:20 PM
It was a basketball play, he attacked the rim and led with his knee.

Ginobili has done that lots of times and we hear crying from the other side when Manu does that.
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/818/653/109781592_display_image.jpg?1301376319
You can try to take a charge or you can back up.
This time, Tiago took the hit.

It's just basketball...nothing else about it.

Josh810
03-07-2013, 06:40 PM
How can anyone really think that was on purpose? Many players do that, I've done it myself. It happens.

Obstructed_View
03-07-2013, 07:17 PM
It was a basketball play, he attacked the rim and led with his knee.

Ginobili has done that lots of times and we hear crying from the other side when Manu does that.
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/818/653/109781592_display_image.jpg?1301376319
You can try to take a charge or you can back up.
This time, Tiago took the hit.

It's just basketball...nothing else about it.

None of that changes the fact that it wasn't an accident.

Man In Black
03-07-2013, 07:56 PM
Defenders have a choice. An Offensive player is allowed to follow through. It's in the same vein as flaring elbows during a textbook rebound just like Tim Duncan does. It's to ward off defenders and it ain't construed as illegal although a ref can blow a whistle in either situation if they think that it was dangerous and could be typified as a non-basketball move AKA Bean swinging his arm and knocking Manu down to the ground resulting in bloody nose and lip and a suspension for the Bean.

I'm telling you, Manu leads like that all the time and it happens on courts the world over. You can choose to take the hit and hope to get the call or you can back up or sidestep so as to not take the hit into your extremities.

hater
03-07-2013, 07:58 PM
these african ballers never miss the chance to deliver an elbow or knee

CGD
03-07-2013, 09:25 PM
Karl Malone says hi

Budkin
03-07-2013, 09:53 PM
Funny that it was Nazr. Does he get a pass because he helped us win the 2005 title?

Josh810
03-07-2013, 10:27 PM
No, he gets a pass because he didn't do it on purpose at all. He's looking straight up as he goes into the shot...why would he have reason to just cheap shot Tiago randomly? Not like they had been scuffling all game long.

FuzzyLumpkins
03-08-2013, 12:47 AM
Yeah just like Karl Malone never realized all those knees and elbows he was throwing. It's pretty obvious that you guys didn't play much basketball. You put your off arm out before contact. You don't lead with your knee driving to the basket.

The still of Manu above is from a stepback. If you don't live in a shack then you can recreate the moves yourself.

chapnis
03-08-2013, 01:00 AM
Nazr put his knee up to protect himself. Sure he probably put it up on purpose, but not with the intent to get Splitter in the 'nads.

Man In Black
03-08-2013, 01:23 AM
Yeah just like Karl Malone never realized all those knees and elbows he was throwing. It's pretty obvious that you guys didn't play much basketball. You put your off arm out before contact. You don't lead with your knee driving to the basket.

It ain't Karl Malone at all and if you think that then why hasn't Manu ever been fined ever for a drive to the hoop?

The still of Manu above is from a stepback. If you don't live in a shack then you can recreate the moves yourself.

Nope, that wasn't a stepback that was a drive, just like the videos below. You have every right to attack the hoop. Just as every defender has a chance to take a charge. It's unwritten just like if the shot is blocked first and then there is a contact to the head, the refs aren't likely to call that follow through a foul because of the block.
So watch the video, Manu leads with his knee, it's a basketball play. Maybe you didn't play it that way, but Manu does and on that play against Tiago, so does Nazr.
onQJwRod3TE
Manu takeoff, his leg drives up to help him get up.
7Mtt7rnJwIY
Even with Yao in his face, Ginobili ain't changing anything and why should he? That defender has a choice.

Same thing with Hilton Armstrong. That driving leg gives him a momentary pause by a defender.
9awFXgccuOU

Again, that's Manu's driving leg. He doesn't change, defender there or not. Sick Jersey in this one, the red, white, and blue are to signify that they are playing in France.
PLD73034B4B0F834AD

If it's good enough for Manu, then it's good enough for James Harden.
UgoOS1FGcmw

FuzzyLumpkins
03-08-2013, 01:29 AM
If you cannot tell the difference between taking a step and keeping your knee up through the drive then I don't really know what to tell you.

Man In Black
03-08-2013, 01:39 AM
That step back with the ball on the side of his shooting hand. More like a finger roll or the set to a dunk. That step is the action, defender or not, you can take that step and drive. Again...pay attention. If you can't see that, then there is no point to continue...let's just agree to disagree. LeBron James, a man made of brick, isn't coming forward to attempt to block a step back jumper with Manu's shooting hand on the side of the ball. To shoot a jumper, where is your hand supposed to be? It ain't off to the side. LeBron pauses because that driving leg gives Manu his space. He doesn't change that step at all, defender or no defender. If he drives...he drives the same way everytime.

You can call it stepback...but you'd be wrong.

KaiRMD1
03-08-2013, 01:42 AM
It was accidental, it's not like he swung is arm at another player who didn't have the ball thus making a play at air.

FuzzyLumpkins
03-08-2013, 02:00 AM
I am paying attention. When you take a step to drive off of one foot and your in the air, when you make contact with your knee its not going to stay up through the contact. You have to keep your knee up by flexing your quad. In none of those Manu clips did you ever see contact. You see him take a step.

In the Lebron clip I have no idea what you are talking about. He plants off his right foot and he has James on his right hip after the eurostep ie he moved laterally. He didn't pause, he was just out of position and didn't want to foul. Nazr went straight ahead and plowed his knee through contact.

Obstructed_View
03-08-2013, 02:42 AM
If the referee decides that extending your knee is an "unnatural basketball move" and is done to clear space, he can call an offensive foul. The only thing dumber than saying it was an accident is saying that it's not illegal. If DeJuan Blair did that to Kevin Durant I assure you that it would be called an offensive foul.

Man In Black
03-08-2013, 03:44 AM
If the referee decides that extending your knee is an "unnatural basketball move" and is done to clear space, he can call an offensive foul. The only thing dumber than saying it was an accident is saying that it's not illegal. If DeJuan Blair did that to Kevin Durant I assure you that it would be called an offensive foul.

That's the trick right there OV. The ref has to call it an unnatural move and then call the offensive foul. But he doesn't see it that way. It's subject to interpretation and again, players like Ginobili, Dwyane Wade, and Kobe Bryant will point that knee for a second.

Even on a step back, that knee can be used to fend off defenders. The refs have to call it, but much of the time, they do not. So in essence, it's being allowed.

YNpOvPtsMEI

Slippy
03-08-2013, 04:59 AM
Yah i wouldn't like that being called an offensive. He may have meant it but when you're driving its natural movement even if its off one step.

similar to how they wanted Manu's and1 on the three called offensive cause he kicked his leg out. Depending on the shooting action , it can be a natural movement to extend out one leg further than the other

pgardn
03-08-2013, 08:00 AM
He created separation with his knee.

The knee could have landed in a number of spots.
Reference Bobby Dandridge, the master of the fine art.

Obstructed_View
03-08-2013, 12:23 PM
Yah i wouldn't like that being called an offensive. He may have meant it but when you're driving its natural movement even if its off one step.

similar to how they wanted Manu's and1 on the three called offensive cause he kicked his leg out. Depending on the shooting action , it can be a natural movement to extend out one leg further than the other
Manu got hit across the arms on the three. The refs could have called him on sticking the leg out even though he was legitimately fouled.

Darkwaters
03-08-2013, 12:42 PM
Typically when you lead with your knee it's an offensive foul. Interestingly this went against Tiago. Not exactly the best officiating.

Man In Black
03-08-2013, 02:21 PM
Bobby D was a beast in Milwaukee. There were a few season I remember where he averaged 20 points while shooting over 50% from the field and 80% from the FT line.

But yeah, it's not a black and white call. It has to be interpreted as a non-basketball move. That did not happen on Nazr to Tiago. Nazr got a trip to the FT line.

But, I will say that Patty Mills thinks it's a clear out. You can see him demonstrate the knee in the .gif up there.

Mr. Body
03-08-2013, 02:39 PM
When you jump off one leg, the knee on your other leg has to go somewhere, right? A buncha pansies on this thread who never played basketball in their life. Give it a rest.

Spur|n|Austin
03-08-2013, 02:51 PM
When you jump off one leg, the knee on your other leg has to go somewhere, right? A buncha pansies on this thread who never played basketball in their life. Give it a rest.

So every time a player goes up on one leg they knee the defender? I've played plenty of bball and never kneed anybody unintentionally in the groin.. You can tell when it's an accident, this does not appear to be an accident. Really though, this is a stupid thread and it's a non-issue.

FuzzyLumpkins
03-08-2013, 02:58 PM

Again after contact the knee only stays forward like that if you flex your quad. When youre running you have to keep the knee up to a certain point to stride. That varies according to your gait. Your leg has to come up to extend out for the next step.

After you jump there is no other stride necessary so additional movement of the off leg is gratuitous. There is no leverage in the air so its not like torquing your body during a pull up. Your just kneeing someone.

Manufan909
03-08-2013, 04:17 PM
Was the knee to the groin why Tiago couldn't jump for shit on that last dunk attempt?

03-08-2013, 04:43 PM
I'm pretty sure D. Wade did it in the Eastern Conference Finals last year and he got a flagrant...