PDA

View Full Version : Tim Duncan's case for DPOY just improved...

racm
03-07-2013, 01:46 AM
18 pts
10 rebounds
5 blocks

Owning Noah (the other guy with a great case for DPOY) on national TV

:hat

Brunodf
03-07-2013, 01:49 AM
TD deserves it tbh

spurraider21
03-07-2013, 01:49 AM
wouldn't be surprised if Larry Sanders gets it Marcus Camby style

TheGoldStandard
03-07-2013, 01:50 AM
I don't know what Tim has done for the past 2 seasons to be as good as he has been but I'm happy he's playing at such a high level. I'd like a little bit of the potion he drank.

Boomersgold
03-07-2013, 01:54 AM
Who are the other candidates?

Brunodf
03-07-2013, 01:56 AM
I don't know what Tim has done for the past 2 seasons to be as good as he has been but I'm happy he's playing at such a high level. I'd like a little bit of the potion he drank.

TD worked hard in the summer/has better defenders in the starting 5(Kawhi/Green/Splitter>>>>GHill/RJ/Blair)

racm
03-07-2013, 01:57 AM

Larry Sanders
Roy Hibbert
Serge Abaka

racm
03-07-2013, 01:58 AM
TD worked hard in the summer/has better defenders in the starting 5(Kawhi/Green/Splitter>>>>GHill/RJ/Blair)

George Hill: 6'2" with a 6'9" wingspan
RJ: 6'7"
Blair: 6'7" on a good day

Danny Green: 6'6" with a 7'0" wingspan
KL: 6'7" with a 7'3" wingspan
Splitter: 6'11"

Boomersgold
03-07-2013, 02:00 AM
Larry Sanders
Roy Hibbert
Serge Abaka

Tony Allen?

racm
03-07-2013, 02:00 AM
Tony Allen?

or Marc Gasol tbh

Brunodf
03-07-2013, 02:02 AM
George Hill: 6'2" with a 6'9" wingspan
RJ: 6'7"
Blair: 6'7" on a good day

Danny Green: 6'6" with a 7'0" wingspan
KL: 6'7" with a 7'3" wingspan
Splitter: 6'11"
Yeah they are better, just like i said:rolleyes

spurraider21
03-07-2013, 02:08 AM
Larry Sanders, Joakim Noah, Marc Gasol are the names I hear the most. I'm sure some mental midget BSPN guys are pounding the table for Chandler, Dwight, or Chris Paul. I have a bad feeling Sanders will get it for his Marcus Camby stats

racm
03-07-2013, 02:15 AM
Larry Sanders, Joakim Noah, Marc Gasol are the names I hear the most. I'm sure some mental midget BSPN guys are pounding the table for Chandler, Dwight, or Chris Paul. I have a bad feeling Sanders will get it for his Marcus Camby stats

Sanders' team is 10th in DRtg - and allows the most attempts in the paint because their perimeter D blows chunks.
Noah's team is 4th in DRtg - legit case.
Gasol's team is 2nd in DRtg though his defensive rebounding numbers aren't that nice

Chandler's team fell off a cliff defensively sometime around December
Howard is on a team that's barely in the top 20 defensively, most of their recent wins have been against teams with a worse MOV on the year than them
Paul leads in steals and has a 7th ranked team defensively but he has a shot blocker in Jordan

Duncan's case includes it being a lifetime achievement award, I mean Bryant won MVP in a year when Paul took a weaker team to the 2nd seed and the Celtics were steamrolling the league.

Man In Black
03-07-2013, 02:58 AM
One could hope after all those years him and Bowen were ALL-NBA D 1st team and splitting the vote.
If Bean can get regularly chosen to be 1st team ALL-NBA D team even though he doesn't really play it, the Tim should get the nod for DPOY.

Tim_duncan21
03-07-2013, 03:02 AM
Hope he wins it this year. He definitely deserves it.

HarlemHeat37
03-07-2013, 03:07 AM
If Duncan hadn't gotten hurt and missed some games, he would have a decent chance IMO..it's a media award, it's based on hype..Tim was actually receiving media hype during the 1st half of the season, but it dissipated gradually following his injuries..

Based strictly on merit, Duncan has been the best defensive player in the West this season IMO, and arguably the league(KG's numbers are at the top)..

However, most of the hype has been allocated to Larry Sanders, Joakim Noah and Marc Gasol..the latter two have a substantial minutes advantage over Tim and Sanders, which will hurt their case, as well as the advantage through the media(against Tim), especially Noah..

To be fair, all 3 guys deserve consideration for the award, along with Timmy and KG..

DAF86
03-07-2013, 03:35 AM
Watch him not even get the nod for 1st all-defensive team.

romain.star
03-07-2013, 04:46 AM
Larry Sanders
Roy Hibbert
Serge Abaka

Omer Asik is for real too

capek
03-07-2013, 04:47 AM
DPOY is dead to me tbqfh

spurraider21
03-07-2013, 04:58 AM
If Duncan hadn't gotten hurt and missed some games, he would have a decent chance IMO..it's a media award, it's based on hype..Tim was actually receiving media hype during the 1st half of the season, but it dissipated gradually following his injuries..

Based strictly on merit, Duncan has been the best defensive player in the West this season IMO, and arguably the league(KG's numbers are at the top)..

However, most of the hype has been allocated to Larry Sanders, Joakim Noah and Marc Gasol..the latter two have a substantial minutes advantage over Tim and Sanders, which will hurt their case, as well as the advantage through the media(against Tim), especially Noah..

To be fair, all 3 guys deserve consideration for the award, along with Timmy and KG..

If the Spurs can manage to hold the top seed with TP out for a month, and continue to play good defense anchored by Tim, it could strengthen his case

007nites
03-07-2013, 05:20 AM
If Duncan can pass Larry's block average they will give it to him. He is only .1 away from Ibaka who is in 2nd.

DJR210
03-07-2013, 05:35 AM

Codeine and Sprite.

will_spurs
03-07-2013, 05:36 AM
Don't even think about it, Kobe has it locked.

aal04
03-07-2013, 05:55 AM

Totally agree, I had TD has DPOY fave before injury. Then he missed a few games, and whats worse was his 3-4 games after coming back. He was utter crap. Dropped off top 5 candidates imo. He will have to do some magic to get back into the running. Tonight was a big plus

mrjap2x
03-07-2013, 07:14 AM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/PerDiem-130306/nba-google-reveals-stars

Can anyone quote the tim duncan part.

spurraider21
03-07-2013, 07:39 AM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/PerDiem-130306/nba-google-reveals-stars

Can anyone quote the tim duncan part.

a majority of it is about duncan, and don't wana post copyrighted material. but the intro stats are misleading tbh. It says Duncan is 5th all time rebounding when he is 14th. He is 5th in postseason rebounds. And 4th on postseason rebounds is Kareem, not Hakeem, and it says "he will soon pass Olajuwon for 4th."

Long story short the article breaks down how much these stars are googled searched by the public. He basically goes on to say that where guys like LeBron and Kobe get a lot of google searches, there are a bunch of superstars or players that have high win shares (or some stat called WARP which is this guys version of win shares) who don't have the expected amount of google searches. List includes Westbrook, Jrue Holliday, Tony Parker, Tyson Chandler, Brook Lopez, Lamarcus Aldridge, Joakim Noah, and a couple of others. Stupid article. Incorrect facts to start the article, and lame point. As if we didn't know there are unappreciated stars. He just tries to quantify them via google search figures

iminol
03-07-2013, 08:20 AM
Don't even think about it, Kobe has it locked.

hahhahaha, thanks

Obstructed_View
03-07-2013, 09:06 AM
Dwight will get more votes for DPOY than Duncan will.

polandprzem
03-07-2013, 09:39 AM
Watch him not even get the nod for 1st all-defensive team.
IMO coaches knows better

DAF86
03-07-2013, 10:25 AM
IMO coaches knows better

Yeah, that's why Kobe makes 1st all-defensive team everyyear. :rolleyes

Brazil
03-07-2013, 10:45 AM
:depressed I thought for a second that timvpdpoty had been unbanned

polandprzem
03-07-2013, 11:07 AM
Still thinks coaches knows better but you got me on that one. That I can admit

Drom John
03-07-2013, 11:36 AM
Defensive win shares:
P. George, J.Noah, D.West, T.Duncan, M.Gasol, R.Hibbert, K.Durant, Z.Randolph, K.Garnett, J.Smith.

Duncan's is 4th due to lack of PT.

Defensive rating:
T.Duncan, R.Hibbert, P.George, L.Sanders, J.Noah, K.Leonard, D.West, E.Okafur, K.Garnett, T.Allen

03-07-2013, 12:26 PM
looking at the top 4 defensive teams: indiana, grizzlies, spurs, and bulls, duncan has better stats than hibbert, gasol, and noah. he also has some name recognition. marc gasol isn't really widely known for being a good defensive anchor. hibbert also comes from a small market and his stats aren't as good as duncan's. really the only competition is noah and ibaka. if the spurs can hang on to the #1 seed and duncan maintains his averages, he should have a good shot at winning DPOY.

TheGoldStandard
03-07-2013, 12:30 PM
If Duncan wins it he'd be the oldest player to win the award if I'm not mistaken.

phxspurfan
03-07-2013, 01:39 PM
No Spur will ever win a DPOY. It has already been decided. Howard will win it again, or someone random.

Asik

Tony Allen

some Thunder or Clipper

chapnis
03-07-2013, 01:50 PM
No Spur will ever win a DPOY. It has already been decided. Howard will win it again, or someone random.

Asik

Tony Allen

some Thunder or Clipper

David Lee

Kidd K
03-07-2013, 02:18 PM
I don't think he'll win it. The argument about his playing time will override the fact that he's more defensively impactful than the other guys like Noah. Noah plays what like 8 more minutes a game? Guys like that usually get the nod even if they impact the game the same amount or less even with the extra 20% playing time.

Duncan likely won't get an All NBA 1st Team D' either. They're going to give that to some combination of: LeBron James, Serge Ibaka, and Larry Sanders. Honestly, the most we should hope for it a 2nd team placement for Duncan, because the first 3 forward spots are pretty much already locked up based on hype. Noah, Asik, and M. Gasol are prime candidates for the center spots. . .and one's going to get left out.

We should dial back our expectations. He's not getting much props in the media, so if by time he ever does get any, it'll be too late to make much of an impression. All D' 2nd team is the best we should hope for. And he does deserve that imo, no homer.

Rummpd
03-07-2013, 03:12 PM
Tim should have won several he was one of the greatest big man defenders and shot blockers ever - read this article how he was and is superior to Howard at shotblocking.

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/the-value-of-tim-duncans-blocks

Huizinga’s paper is titled “The Value of a Blocked Shot in the NBA: From Dwight Howard to Tim Duncan,” and not without good reason, explains Pruiti:

…As [Huizinga] explained, through a series of charts, Tim Duncan has had the best season in history when it came down to value/block with 1.12, meaning he saved 1.12 points with every block and Dwight Howard ended up with the worst season in terms of value/block with with .53 (both came during the 2008 season).

Long ago I noticed that most of Tim Duncan’s blocks came right at the rim, which is why I am so excited to read about Huizinga’s paper.

phxspurfan
03-07-2013, 04:27 PM
Tim should have won several he was one of the greatest big man defenders and shot blockers ever - read this article how he was and is superior to Howard at shotblocking.

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/the-value-of-tim-duncans-blocks

Huizinga’s paper is titled “The Value of a Blocked Shot in the NBA: From Dwight Howard to Tim Duncan,” and not without good reason, explains Pruiti:

…As [Huizinga] explained, through a series of charts, Tim Duncan has had the best season in history when it came down to value/block with 1.12, meaning he saved 1.12 points with every block and Dwight Howard ended up with the worst season in terms of value/block with with .53 (both came during the 2008 season).

Long ago I noticed that most of Tim Duncan’s blocks came right at the rim, which is why I am so excited to read about Huizinga’s paper.

Howard's blocking prowess is plenty good at discouraging shots at the rim. It's just the fact that he has no bball IQ that sucks. And now he doesn't even play hard.

Obstructed_View
03-07-2013, 04:44 PM
But don't try to point out to people that Duncan's a better defender than Dwight. Winning a dunk contest means that you're automatically a really good defender.

TampaDude
03-07-2013, 05:01 PM

Uh, dude...DRob won it in the 91-92 season. :hat

phxspurfan
03-07-2013, 05:17 PM

I was 8 years old in 1992.

And a Knicks fan :P

TampaDude
03-07-2013, 05:21 PM
I was 8 years old in 1992.

And a Knicks fan :P

Well, okay then...

naico
03-07-2013, 05:43 PM
An interesting stat that should be looked at is the BLK/PF. TD's has a 1.55 ratio compared to Ibaka's 1.07, Sanders' 0.89, Noah's 0.80, Hibbert's 0.76 and Gasol's 0.51..So while an Ibaka and Sanders average more blocks they probably also allow more points on defense through free throws.

Obstructed_View
03-07-2013, 05:58 PM

Of course he averaged twelve rebounds, nearly five blocks and over two steals a game that year. There's not really any way for them not to have given it to him.

phxspurfan
03-07-2013, 06:12 PM
An interesting stat that should be looked at is the BLK/PF. TD's has a 1.55 ratio compared to Ibaka's 1.07, Sanders' 0.89, Noah's 0.80, Hibbert's 0.76 and Gasol's 0.51..So while an Ibaka and Sanders average more blocks they probably also allow more points on defense through free throws.

Tim thinks that ratio should be undefined

TD 21
03-07-2013, 06:20 PM
I said it a few months ago but it bears repeating: In order for him to win the award, the Spurs are going to have to do something they rarely do (though they are becoming increasingly open to), which is campaign for him. They don't have to send numbers and the like to voters, but Pop will basically have to tell one of the beat guys to ask him if he deserves to be considered for the award. He'll then have to proceed to rattle off a well rehearsed answer, spewing his individual defensive numbers, as well as the team's improvement and then throw in how the fact that he's never won one is one of the biggest travesties in the history of the league.

Even then, the fact that he's missed in excess of 10 games and will probably end up missing around 15 by season's end, coupled with him playing almost 10 mpg less than Noah, will do him in. But at least that might clinch a spot on the All-Defensive team.

TDfan2007
03-07-2013, 09:14 PM
Timmy doesn't get credit for his defense for some reason. It's weird. When KG turned the Celtics' defense around in 2008, he instantly won DPOY. Timmy has been doing the same thing for the Spurs almost every year since 2003, and he still gets no DPOY.

cd021
03-08-2013, 02:04 AM

Marc Gasol

Ibaka

Joakim Noah

Tyson Chandler

Brunodf
03-08-2013, 02:19 AM
Marc Gasol

Ibaka

Joakim Noah

Tyson Chandler

:lol

mrjap2x
03-08-2013, 03:39 AM
Tim thinks that ratio should be undefined
I see what you did there.

Man In Black
03-08-2013, 03:52 AM
Alvin Robertson has a DPOY as a Spur as well. From 1986. The 3.7 steals per probably had a lot to do with it, since they like numbers and stuff.

cd021
03-08-2013, 01:50 PM
:lol

Thats the candidates i've seen on SI's and Espn's mid season awards.

racm
03-08-2013, 11:47 PM
:lmao getting owned by LaMarcus Aldridge
:lmao TOSB
:lmao competing for a worthless blocks title
:lmao thinking he can win a fifth ring in Fat Antonio

007nites
03-10-2013, 08:52 PM
I think they will give it to Noah

Gasol and Timmy are about equal for 2nd.