PDA

View Full Version : Amateur: 5th Grader starts at PG for his high school basketball team.

Cry Havoc
03-07-2013, 12:26 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/19/julian-newman-high-school-basketball_n_2333177.html

Should be noted that it's varsity, not JV.

Julian is averaging 12.4 points, 11 assists, and 4.3 steals per game.

Pretty impressive.

Mal
03-07-2013, 01:47 PM
:lol Awesome kid. :toast

whitemamba
03-07-2013, 02:15 PM
damn thats crazy. is that even within the rules?

manufan10
03-07-2013, 02:21 PM
damn thats crazy. is that even within the rules?

As stated above, the FHSAA doesn't govern schools like Downey Christian, so Julian is free to play for them. In fact, SportsGrid points out that Julian isn't even jeopardizing his future eligibility (http://www.sportsgrid.com/video/5th-grade-basketball-player-varsity-video/) to play for a high school team that does fall under FHSAA rules (http://www.fhsaa.org/sites/default/files/attachments/2010/09/16/node-172/2012-13_basketball_sport_manual.pdf), which state: "A student’s four-year limit of high school eligibility is not affected by the student’s participation in interscholastic athletics before beginning the ninth grade for the first time."

FkLA
03-07-2013, 02:27 PM
Little nigga has great handles for such a young age, but tbh he could easily be a defensive liability if the opposing teams were more physical with him...but Im sure none of them want to be the assholes that repeatedly post up the little 5th grader.

LarryDavid
03-07-2013, 03:00 PM
Impressive. Can't wait for ESPN to air one of his games.

And LOL huffingtonpost.

Arcadian
03-07-2013, 03:39 PM
That kid probably has a psychotic father who threatens to beat him if he misses a layup or something. :lol

ffadicted
03-07-2013, 04:39 PM
mad handles

jeebus
03-07-2013, 04:45 PM
That kid probably has a psychotic father who threatens to beat him if he misses a layup or something. :lol
he wouldn't do that. the father (if he is the father) is probably praying every night that this niglet doesn't nuke his knees in high school or college so he can ride his son's(?) coattails to millions in the NBA. still, this kid is tiny and fast, as how all kids who aren't on the mcdonald's diet should be. just better hope he doesn't evolve into the next Chimpbrick

Relevancy
03-07-2013, 07:26 PM
Some dudes are just lucky their born with a sport gene, a few are born to be the best at that given sport. A 5th grader, playing at a High School Varsity level? That's unheard of. It's pretty safe to say all of us in here where either picking our nose, or trying to figure out where that last piece of the puzzle belonged.

Relevancy
03-07-2013, 07:38 PM
That kid probably has a psychotic father who threatens to beat him if he misses a layup or something. :lolIt's pretty funny when people view the parents as the enemies, hello the parent is just exposing the kid because he has shown attributes that no other kid of his age has shown, why wouldn't he make the kid work hard?

ElNono
03-07-2013, 07:39 PM
coach's son... no surprises there

BatManu20
03-07-2013, 07:41 PM
Saw this story on Yahoo a couple weeks ago. It's impressive, yes, but shouldn't be allowed imo. One hard foul and that kid is dead. It's pretty clear that the defenders don't want to hurt him when they basically clear out when he drives the ball. Kid is a baller though. No doubt.

racm
03-07-2013, 07:44 PM
Future Rondo?

Relevancy
03-07-2013, 07:47 PM
Saw this story on Yahoo a couple weeks ago. It's impressive, yes, but shouldn't be allowed imo. One hard foul and that kid is dead. It's pretty clear that the defenders don't want to hurt him when they basically clear out when he drives the ball. Kid is a baller though. No doubt.You want the kid to be playing against kids his age?:lol He would dominate, probably have a few 70 pint games.

Arcadian
03-07-2013, 08:39 PM
It's pretty funny when people view the parents as the enemies, hello the parent is just exposing the kid because he has shown attributes that no other kid of his age has shown, why wouldn't he make the kid work hard?

I kid. If I had a point, it was that people with that level of talent are so dedicated to their craft that it's literally all they do. I guarante he practices 6-8 hours a day. That's what mastery means: tons and tons of practice. And that obviously starts with the parents.

TarantinoRezDog
03-07-2013, 08:47 PM
Future Mugsy Bogues. Kid's even short for a 5th grader.

He could have a growth spurt, however.

Halberto
03-07-2013, 09:03 PM
OK, put him up against a public high school and see what happens. He's pretty impressive for his age and size, but this story and the video seems misleading just for the sake of getting attention. You mean to tell me these players aren't purposefully relaxing on defense, that they can't keep him from driving or block his shots? Oh, and he's palming the ball after every dribble, like most kids do at his age, because the ball is practically a beach ball to him. So stupid.

Latarian Milton
03-07-2013, 11:46 PM
dude is an amazing talent for his age but it's still unknown how well he's gonna progress at later ages. even a fringe NBA player could kick asses at hs and even college levels imho, and you really have to be damn good to make a living in NBA

Spurs 4 The Win
03-08-2013, 12:30 AM
The team they are playing is fucking awful.
Im not good at basketball and I wouldve stuffed that kids shot every time down the court. Literally just stand over him and you can block that shit every single time.
Don't know why they were not physical with him, if I saw a sideshow like that at a game, I would make it a point to put that kid on his ass several times until he didnt want to play anymore.

Relevancy
03-08-2013, 11:16 AM
The team they are playing is fucking awful.
Im not good at basketball and I wouldve stuffed that kids shot every time down the court. Literally just stand over him and you can block that shit every single time.
Don't know why they were not physical with him, if I saw a sideshow like that at a game, I would make it a point to put that kid on his ass several times until he didnt want to play anymore.Defending a 5th grader like that:lol you would just look like a fool.

Bill_Brasky
03-08-2013, 11:20 AM
Yeah that's really dumb. The kid is pretty good but its obvious everyone is just letting him score. Just a gimmick/publicity stunt.

DUNCANownsKOBE
03-08-2013, 03:40 PM

The kid's black, not Asian.

Texas_Ranger
03-08-2013, 03:47 PM
lol at players that don't even try to score on him... post up the kid and you could have 50 points every game.

Spurs 4 The Win
03-08-2013, 07:33 PM
Defending a 5th grader like that:lol you would just look like a fool.

I dont care lol, I play who is out on the floor. If he wants to play with the big boys he is gonna get treated like one. I pull no punches