PDA

View Full Version : Graves Disease (Hyperthyroidism)

Spur|n|Austin
03-07-2013, 12:54 PM
So about 4 months ago I started losing a lot of weight (30 pounds in 4 months) without working out; I also had hand tremors, itching, sweating, insomnia, etc. I went to the doctor yesterday (my f'ing birthday) after being referred by a neurologist, and she diagnosed me with Graves disease after a thyroid x-ray. There are three options to treating it and I don't feel super excited about any of them. Anyone else have this or have a family member or friend who has been diagnosed with it? Just curious about the surgery or radioactive iodine treatment and which one is better. Thanks!

Trill Clinton
03-07-2013, 01:09 PM
good luck fam

my lil bro has thyroid problems and lost 20 pounds in a week, shit was crazy.

he took a radioactive pill and his copay was $500, pill was $3000.

cantthinkofanything
03-07-2013, 01:13 PM
Sorry to hear about that SnA. I have a friend that has Grave's disease. I first met him about 10 years ago and wouldn't have ever known unless he mentioned it to me one day. He chose the radioactive iodine route. In addition, he's done a lot of research in natural treatment methods and absolutely swears that choosing the right foods and supplements has helped alleviate the condition. As long as I've known him, I've never seen any changes that indicate he's anything but healthy.

JudynTX
03-07-2013, 02:08 PM
So about 4 months ago I started losing a lot of weight (30 pounds in 4 months) without working out; I also had hand tremors, itching, sweating, insomnia, etc. I went to the doctor yesterday (my f'ing birthday) after being referred by a neurologist, and she diagnosed me with Graves disease after a thyroid x-ray. There are three options to treating it and I don't feel super excited about any of them. Anyone else have this or have a family member or friend who has been diagnosed with it? Just curious about the surgery or radioactive iodine treatment and which one is better. Thanks!

:( I'm sorry to hear this. What's the 3rd option?

DeadlyDynasty
03-07-2013, 02:13 PM
I hope you're not allergic to iodine

Spur|n|Austin
03-07-2013, 02:33 PM
good luck fam

my lil bro has thyroid problems and lost 20 pounds in a week, shit was crazy.

he took a radioactive pill and his copay was $500, pill was $3000.

Thanks man; that's what I've been worried about, the money side of things. I've got pretty good insurance but I know it's all going to cost me a grip, especially since I had an MRI, EEG, and blood work before even going to see the endocrinologist.

Sorry to hear about that SnA. I have a friend that has Grave's disease. I first met him about 10 years ago and wouldn't have ever known unless he mentioned it to me one day. He chose the radioactive iodine route. In addition, he's done a lot of research in natural treatment methods and absolutely swears that choosing the right foods and supplements has helped alleviate the condition. As long as I've known him, I've never seen any changes that indicate he's anything but healthy.

Appreciate the positive vibes, I'll def look into alternative diets and natural remedies (though I'm quite healthy).

:( I'm sorry to hear this. What's the 3rd option?

Third option is two years of taking meds every day in hopes that it solves the issue, if not I'm back at square one and 2 years of meds broker. The doctor recommended the radioactive iodine, and most I've read says there are limited side effects, so I'm going all in and hoping for the best. Honestly the weight loss has been nice, girls at my office have asked me jokingly how they acquire this hyperthyroidism. The shaking, sweating, insomnia, and constant itching have been a real bitch though.

Brunodf
03-07-2013, 02:36 PM
My mom has thyroid problems, she takes meds/eats healthy foods...

DPG21920
03-07-2013, 02:49 PM
Man, sorry to hear that. Don't know anything about it, so I won't give advice, but best of luck with everything.

Blake
03-07-2013, 03:08 PM
Sorry about the diagnosis, but glad to hear it's treatable/curable.

Have you talked to Amendola any time recently since he's been with the Rams?

Spur|n|Austin
03-07-2013, 03:16 PM
Man, sorry to hear that. Don't know anything about it, so I won't give advice, but best of luck with everything.

Thanks J - I'll keep ya'll posted in this thread. Hope you get the tickets soon man, this is getting ridiculous!

Sorry about the diagnosis, but glad to hear it's treatable/curable.

Have you talked to Amendola any time recently since he's been with the Rams?

Thanks, Blake - yeah I actually saw him a last month; he was in Austin for our buddy's wedding. This is just a rumor but there's a possibility he could end up in NE, though I have a feeling he's going to get thrown a lot of $$ by STL. I just wish the he could stay healthy!

Blake
03-07-2013, 03:40 PM
New England seems like the last place to Danny would end up, even if Wes walked.

I wish he would stay healthy too. I think he could easily get 100 catches if he could play a full season.

Spur|n|Austin
03-07-2013, 03:54 PM

New England seems like the last place to Danny would end up, even if Wes walked.

I wish he would stay healthy too. I think he could easily get 100 catches if he could play a full season.

Easily snag 100 grabs. As far as NE is concerned - just tellllling ya what I heard.

mrsmaalox
03-07-2013, 05:08 PM
A friend of mine had the surgery and the radiation about 10 years ago and she has had no problems at all. Good luck to you :tu

Latarian Milton
03-07-2013, 07:43 PM
don't trust a doctor who happens to be female tbh, and i would certainly not follow a bitch's advice if i were you. just see a male doctor and you'll be fine. a bitch doesn't know shit how to treat a man's disease tbh

cantthinkofanything
03-07-2013, 08:18 PM
don't trust a doctor who happens to be female tbh, and i would certainly not follow a bitch's advice if i were you. just see a male doctor and you'll be fine. a bitch doesn't know shit how to treat a man's disease tbh

Grave's affects more women igmo.

mingus
03-07-2013, 10:40 PM

You are a moron. Statistically, Graves affects more woman, not that the doctor's gender matters anyway.

As far as Graves, my sister and a family friend has it. My sis is allergic to iodine, which obviously sucks. She's considering the surgery but she's still young. You'd probably get better advice from a graves/thyroid forum.

cantthinkofanything
03-08-2013, 01:51 AM
You'd probably get better advice from a graves/thyroid forum.

hell, you'd probably get better Spurs' insight from a graves/thyroid forum.

Spur|n|Austin
03-08-2013, 08:35 AM
You are a moron. Statistically, Graves affects more woman, not that the doctor's gender matters anyway.

As far as Graves, my sister and a family friend has it. My sis is allergic to iodine, which obviously sucks. She's considering the surgery but she's still young. You'd probably get better advice from a graves/thyroid forum.

Yep, it mostly effects women, both my mom and her aunt had it. I'm hoping I'm not allergic to iodine since that's the route I'm going to go, but I'm sure they will do a test for that before hand..

Spur|n|Austin
03-08-2013, 08:36 AM
A friend of mine had the surgery and the radiation about 10 years ago and she has had no problems at all. Good luck to you :tu

JudynTX
03-08-2013, 03:16 PM
Dude...you didn't have 30 lbs to lose. :(

Spur|n|Austin
03-08-2013, 03:20 PM

I know! I'm pretty thin now! I could have lost a couple lbs but 30 is too much, I'm going to have to start working out again..:ihit

JudynTX
03-08-2013, 03:25 PM
I know! I'm pretty thin now! I could have lost a couple lbs but 30 is too much, I'm going to have to start working out again..:ihit

Eat pasta, lots of it. :D

TDMVPDPOY
03-08-2013, 05:26 PM

all was cock muscle, u shouldve known

mouse
03-08-2013, 09:38 PM
I know you will beat this illness.

I think in Canada the pill only cost 350.00

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Thyroid-Disorders/how-much-does-radioactive-iodine-treatment-cost/show/598678

mavs>spurs
03-08-2013, 10:44 PM
just drink the fluoride for a while it should be enough to damage your thyroid a bit and lower its output

mouse
03-09-2013, 01:51 AM
meanwhile another 4.6 Billion spent on mars.