PDA

View Full Version : Luis Scola

King
07-05-2005, 07:50 PM
I know nothing of this guy, other than he puts up some decent numbers. What type of game does he have? Is he a crafty player like Manu? Banger? Good shooter? Energy guy?

Righty/Lefty?

Give me a brief scouting report.

Where would he have gone in the draft this year (I know what Bayless said)?

2centsworth
07-05-2005, 07:55 PM
From what little I have seen, he's a hustler like Manu and an excellent finisher around the hoop.

ALVAREZ6
07-05-2005, 08:25 PM
He averaged the most points per game out of every player in the Olympics last summer. He shoots a good %, hustles, but I still haven't seen him play that much, which Is why I really wanna see how he plays in the NBA.

I think that he will improve rapidly if he joins the Spurs, and I'm sure he will learn quite a lot from Pop.

Solid D
07-05-2005, 08:36 PM
He's extremely skilled around the basket and he knows how finish and draw fouls. Top inside scorer in Europe.

Loose ball on the floor? It's his.

He's a little loose on defense but not too bad. He's a great passer and he is used to playing the role of energy scorer off the bench with Tau, even though he's one of the top players in Euroleague.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-05-2005, 08:42 PM
Think a tall Manu without the three point shot.

ALVAREZ6
07-05-2005, 08:44 PM
Let's not take it that far, Scola doesn't do that crazy around the back shit....

Gino2882
07-05-2005, 08:57 PM
The only problem is getting him here to SA.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-05-2005, 09:00 PM
Well, yeah, he doesn't go And1 Mixtape all the time either :lol But he is hell on wheels.

Guru of Nothing
07-05-2005, 09:03 PM
I'm hoping he's like Malik, with better hands.

Gino2882
07-05-2005, 09:05 PM
Hes got at least 3 inches on Malik. But that is a good comparison.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-05-2005, 09:10 PM
You mean once he gets his paycheck we get to watch his play decline?

I'll pass.

Gino2882
07-05-2005, 09:13 PM

I'll pass.

ya something like that...

MI21
07-05-2005, 10:25 PM

I'll pass.

Like in 2003, the first year after his paycheck when he was the top bench player on a Championship team?

FoxMulder
07-06-2005, 08:11 AM
Good low-post scorer, decent mid-range jump shot. No 3 point shoot. Decent rebounder and decent defense, a little bit slow.

Is a top Power Forward in Europe, but need to improve some skills yet. He´s 25. Every year he has getting improved in every aspect of the game. Good to play as Tim backup some minutes. I don´t think he will be a starter. Is a very good role player.

He´s gotta have real problems to get free of his contract. The Spurs need to pay too much. And I don´t think they will pay him as much as 8 million for 3 years (I guess this is what he wants)

batman2883
07-06-2005, 08:21 AM
Scola is a fierce on the boards as Manu is, he out hustles his opponents for rebounds, steals and rejections. He is a beast on offense when he steps foot in the paint, however his defense needs some working on. Nothing a training camp with Pop wont fix, with him on the squad, coming off the bench, the spurs will have the best damn bench ever assembled by a team in the history of the league.

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2005, 08:52 AM
AHF is more fixated on Malik than anyone else in this forum. Erase the hate.

As for Scola, we'll find out how weak on D he is when he actually has to play some man to man for a change.

Assuming that because he's an Argentine like Manu he will have a similiar impact in the NBA is not wise.

TheTruth
07-06-2005, 08:58 AM
I'll assume that since he is an Argentine like Manu that he is a winner. You can teach winners to play defense.

GrandeDavid
07-06-2005, 09:33 AM
He's extremely skilled around the basket and he knows how finish and draw fouls.

I.e., he's a textbook flopper.

:lol

Seriously, what I'm looking forward to in terms of his potential contributions to the Spurs is the hustling. I want to see him and Manu together on the court in San Antonio primarily for entertainment value. He'll carry his weight in rebounding and scrappy play around the basket.

Solid D
07-06-2005, 09:53 AM
If I were Hubie Brown I would say:

"Luis Scola is a talent, alright?
He should not be compared with Manu Ginobili, okay?
Two different players.

Now what you have here is a player...
who will bring energy and hustle, will bang, and is not afraid to foul...
out of the mold of A Malik Rose or A Brian Cardinal, alright?

Now we know that...
the Spurs don't need a double-double off the bench every night, okay?
They need....a guy who can combine with a Rasho Nesterovic or a Nazr Mohammed
for at least 12 points and at least 10-11 rebounds of bench front-court scoring.

Luis Scola can catch
He can pass the ball out of A motion offense
set screens and do some of the dirty work
and he....can....score.
And front-court scoring is something the San Antonio Spurs can use when Timmy sits."

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2005, 09:58 AM
Nice. :lol

nkdlunch
07-06-2005, 10:13 AM
I'm hoping he's like Malik, with better hands.

You will be pleased then. He reminds me a little of Malik, cause of his hustle around the basket.

1Parker1
07-06-2005, 10:16 AM

Two different players.

Now we know that...
for at least 12 points and at least 10-11 rebounds of bench front-court scoring.

Luis Scola can catch
and he....can....score.
And front-court scoring is something the San Antonio Spurs can use when Timmy sits."

:lol Right on target, Solid

Manu20
07-06-2005, 10:17 AM
:lol Nice analysis Solid D.

boutons
07-06-2005, 10:26 AM
"ya gotta love what Solid_d brings ya" :lol

Mr. Body
07-06-2005, 10:28 AM
Scola will be great off the bench and comes much cheaper than the other guys people on this board are somehow sold on.

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2005, 10:32 AM
Scola's an unknown in the NBA. There are plenty of questions about how his game will translate into the NBA and his size is a rather significant question mark.

Mr. Body
07-06-2005, 10:34 AM
Of course there are questions about him. There are for any player. I would take any player of significance on that Argentine Olympics team and add them to the Spurs for a couple million dollars, no question.

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2005, 10:37 AM
...when you have the opportunity to add a 28 year old 4 like SAR for the MLE and you can wait a year to bring over Scola at the same price?

timvp
07-06-2005, 01:50 PM

Two different players.

Now we know that...

Luis Scola can catch
and he....can....score.

Classic.

:rollin

spurfan 21
07-06-2005, 03:31 PM
he has more experience then any draft pic in this years draft played more on a pro level/ero ball against way more older talent

constantstate
07-06-2005, 09:27 PM
wow i'm starting to like the level of hate this guy is producing among certain people. its one thing to say, i'd like marshall over scola (which is stupid) or i'd like SAR over scola... and then bring up trade rumors about rasho/nazr to get those players. (which is why marshall is a stupid idea) but with this guy, all of a sudden people are turning on him.

i hear he's a short, fat, stubby-armed midget, with NO GAME! (and i cant believe it) cause i thought we were a pretty good team last year... and adding a guy that people call the best power forward in europe was going to be icing on the cake. that we probably needed to focus on getting a SF.

i like SAR (way better than the idea of an old sleepy-ass marshall) but if we get him, we dont need scola. so why dont people just say that, instead of calling him a garden gnome with tiny arms and no legs? and why call out people who actually want to see what this guy we've been following overseas all this time can do... they're calling everyone argentinian lovers because some think this guy can be a good forward in the league... or comparing him to manu and saying he wont be manu... (crazy)

i dont know what he'll do, but im pretty sure he's going to play in the nba... if its with us or someone else (depending on what the brass decides) -- i had NO opinion on him before... and NOW i already like him because of all this hate.

Kori Ellis
07-06-2005, 09:29 PM
wow i'm starting to like the level of hate this guy is producing among certain people.

Show me examples of the hate. I see none in this thread.

constantstate
07-06-2005, 09:37 PM
Show me examples of the hate. I see none in this thread.

its all over the trade threads as soon as his name comes up... he's unproven so dont even think about getting him. then the short/undersized comments... and then the he's not manu! screams. its really something to see/read.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21068

Kori Ellis
07-06-2005, 09:39 PM
You must love drama to blow it up out of proportion in your own mind because I don't see that thread that way at all. It's just people discussing the pluses and minuses.

timvp
07-06-2005, 09:41 PM
No one is bashing Scola. Some of us are just saying he's not a sure thing and pointing out potential problems in his game.

But all of us hope that he pans out and plays up to the expectations.

constantstate
07-06-2005, 09:44 PM
ok... i dont like drama. i'm just saying that i love the level of discussion. if you want to see the kid play... all of a sudden you have high expectations of him and you're a manu argentinite. i don't have stock in him or anything. so its not like i care. its just fun to watch... comments like... AHHH dont you know... ALL argentinians play like manu!!!

exstatic
07-06-2005, 09:44 PM
The Church of Scola: coming soon to a forum near you. :lol

I think he's going to make it. He's a scrapper, and has skills and good size, 6'8" -6'9". That's a nice combo.

constantstate
07-06-2005, 09:45 PM
that would be something... the church of small stubby malik-like men! :)

edit: http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21057&page=5

constantstate
07-06-2005, 10:09 PM
I think he's going to make it. He's a scrapper, and has skills and good size, 6'8" -6'9". That's a nice combo.
after everything thats been said, really? i just know what i saw last summer, and the one game in indy. he looked good. other than that... everything thats been said has actually swayed me. i like him because of the comments made against him... but if we can shoot for the moon... let bruce's legs fall off... and lets get a great backup 4. horry's getting older anyway.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-06-2005, 11:04 PM
Solid D, that was awesome! You nailed it!

Solid D
07-06-2005, 11:30 PM
Thanks Ozzie, we try.

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2005, 11:44 PM
Random thoughts. Perhaps Scola is really that good and the Spurs are pursuing SAR in order to throw the league off a little. Crazy, but then again, the Spurs are run by someone crazy like a fox.

Of course, perhaps SAR does want to come to SA and Portland continues to want Rasho and the trade info is being leaked out of there.

Then again, maybe the Spurs would like to add SAR (which is a step up from Rasho) and then have some reason for dumping Scola's rights (as in, 'we really really like this dude, but we have no room'). So they find some gullible GM out there and fleece them.

ChumpDumper
07-06-2005, 11:46 PM
Perhaps Scola is really that good and the Spurs are pursuing SAR in order to throw the league off a little.Why would the Spurs throw the league off signing their own draft pick?

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2005, 11:47 PM
If teams know that the Spurs will be improving significantly, that might dictate other moves by rivals.

ChumpDumper
07-06-2005, 11:52 PM
If teams know that the Spurs will be improving significantly, that might dictate other moves by rivals.Improve by signing Scola or somone else? I'd be interested to see how GMs would rate Rasho+Scola against SARS+[Insert MLE player here]. I'm guessing the latter might garner more reaction.

waly.mg
07-07-2005, 10:41 AM
Scola is a little Tim Duncan, probably 75% or a little less, but a 50% TD is a real great player

Rick Von Braun
07-07-2005, 10:52 AM

Two different players.

Now we know that...

Luis Scola can catch
and he....can....score.
Awesome! :lmao

I could picture H. Brown making that commentary in my head!

mattyc
07-07-2005, 11:20 AM
A friend of Manu's is a friend of mine.

Jimcs50
07-07-2005, 12:06 PM
Nice, Solid :lol

Here is what Bill Walton will be saying:

"Luis Scola is doing things in Europe, we’ve never seen from anybody – from any planet!”

"Scola is like a four-armed Dikembe Mutombo around the basket!"

"Luis, throw it down like a big man, Throw it DOWN big man"

“Luis Scola is the best thing to happen to the NBA in a long time. He is just a beautiful person inside and out. The vision, the creativity, the gentleness of spirit … he has it all........”

“Luis Scola just made perhaps the greatest defensive play in Spurs' history!”

Luis Scola makes a pass, which gets deflected out of bounds by an opposing defender. Spurs ball, no big deal... Walton roars: "Luis Scola just made the worst pass... in the history of Western Civilization!"

“Oh my, Scola is really putting on a show out there. He’s making Shawn Marion look like a sixth grader!”

"Luis Scola is one of the greats. Not just of this generation, but of all time."

On Luis Scola's lackluster performance in the NBA Finals: "What a pathetic performance by this sad human being. This is a disgrace to the game of basketball and to the NBA. He played like a disgrace tonight. And he deserved it."

More Luis railing: "Why would the Heat ever double-team Luis Scola? He wants to be double-teamed so he can pass. Why is Miami double-teaming a man who only scores 8 points a game?"

"Memo to Luis Scola and Manu Ginobli: Couldn't you wait until at least the All-Star break to have the franchise suffer its worse loss in its storied history? Davis Robinson just called looking for an address to send his 2 championship rings back to the Spurs because he is so disappointed."

:)

Solid D
07-07-2005, 12:09 PM
:lol @ Jim.

"Where is the defense?"

or

"Luis Scola is my hero. If I had another son, I would want him to be just like Luis."

Jimcs50
07-07-2005, 12:13 PM
:lol @ Jim.

"Where is the defense?"

or

"Luis Scola is my hero. If I had another son, I would want him to be just like Luis."

Exchange between he and Tom Hammond: “Luis Scola is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!” Tom: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.” Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA.”

CosmicCowboy
07-07-2005, 12:17 PM
:lmao

Jim, thats your best post ever.

of course, it didn't take much...:lol

Solid D
07-07-2005, 12:18 PM

FoxMulder
07-07-2005, 12:21 PM
You must decide because SAR wants to go to SA but If SA hiredhim then good bye Scola

Jimcs50
07-07-2005, 01:11 PM

Jim, thats your best post ever.

of course, it didn't take much...:lol

Ha Ha....that was not even in my top 1000.

:)

beirmeistr
07-07-2005, 01:37 PM
Throw it down, Jimcs50, throw it down.

Buenos Hairys
07-07-2005, 02:36 PM
LUIS SCOLA STAR BE HE

http://www.eurobasket.lt/images/naujienos/7/6487/luis_scola.jpg

FoxMulder
07-07-2005, 02:39 PM
Che Buenos Aires yo soy malo en ingles pero me tiraste lejos viejo...
o estas jodiendo nomas?

Buenos Hairys
07-07-2005, 02:46 PM
¿que Opinion Usted Campesino?

FoxMulder
07-07-2005, 02:50 PM
countryman IS NOT Campesino in Spanish
countryman EQUALS Coterraneo

Don´t worry... if you need some help to know how to say some words in english just ask me man

beirmeistr
07-07-2005, 03:27 PM
fui al diccionario---campesino si es countryman, pero tambien es peasant.
conterraneo es fellow countryman.
y, si, yo tambien creo que alguien esta jodiendo nomas.

FoxMulder
07-07-2005, 03:37 PM
Perdon me olvide de tomar el contexto, cierto que countryman es campesino.
Che este Buenos Hayris es el famoso MOUSE?

beirmeistr
07-07-2005, 04:43 PM
Quien sabe? Vamos a ofrecerle un pedaso de queso para ver que hace.

FoxMulder
07-07-2005, 04:45 PM
:lol :rollin

Jimcs50
07-07-2005, 04:50 PM
Quien sabe? Vamos a ofrecerle un pedaso de queso para ver que hace.

Going to give him cheese???

beirmeistr
07-07-2005, 04:54 PM
It's a thought.

FoxMulder
07-07-2005, 04:56 PM
Going to give him cheese???

To know if Buenos Hairys is MOUSE... good one!!

rascal
07-07-2005, 05:25 PM

I've just seen him briefly in an olympic game but he is not as athletic as Manu and he won't even come close to be as good as Manu.

Solid D
07-07-2005, 05:48 PM
In San Antonio, the Spanish, or actually Tex-Mex gets a little convoluted sometimes.

The joke is, some people say Hola! como estas frijole cabrito?

Translation: Hey! How've you bean (been) kid?