PDA

View Full Version : Pop = Stannis Baratheon

Pop
03-09-2013, 12:42 AM
Finally came up with a better comparison than Cesar Millan (altho it was already a great one).

Let's look at this quote :

"Robert (http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Robert_Baratheon) was the true steel. Stannis (http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Stannis_Baratheon) is pure iron, black and hard and strong, yes, but brittle, the way iron gets. He'll break before he bends. And Renly (http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Renly_Baratheon), that one, he's copper, bright and shiny, pretty to look at but not worth all that much at the end of the day."

Now the basketball version should be :

"P (http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Robert_Baratheon)hil was the true steel. Pop is pure iron, black and hard and strong, yes, but brittle, the way iron gets. He'll break before he bends. And D (http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Renly_Baratheon)'Anthony, that one, he's copper, bright and shiny, pretty to look at but not worth all that much at the end of the day."

This team breaks, literally, it doesn't bend it get broken, it did last year and it did tonight and I think it's at least partly due to Pop's rigidity imo.

weeks
03-09-2013, 12:54 AM
i could see this.
but i think pop yells way more than stannis ever would

SanDiegoSpursFan
03-09-2013, 12:57 AM
Stannis is 10x more competent than either of his brothers, what the fuck are you smoking. Robert was strong physically, but a shitty king who let Ned win the war for him.

weeks
03-09-2013, 01:14 AM
i mean i don't want to get into a nerdy GoT debate but robert was more than just physically strong. a skilled, aggressive commander with a natural gift at forming alliances with other nobles. a man's man.
awful king yes. let ned win the war for him? c'mon this is revisionist history. everyone and their mom - stannis included - knows robert was a god of war.

MR-Clutch
03-09-2013, 01:33 AM
Love these books and can see the stannis comparison except pop isn't as emotionless, as you can see by the way the team responds to him.

SanDiegoSpursFan
03-09-2013, 01:34 AM
Does Robert's actions as king make you think he would be a good general? Ned brought and led the most troops, saved Robert's ass(after Robert had to go on the run), and went to take the capital. If that's not winning the war, I don't know what is.

blizz
03-09-2013, 11:33 AM
Fucking nerds. And who is D'Anthony?

03-09-2013, 02:36 PM
Season 3 starts this month =D

DejuanorwhatDude
03-09-2013, 06:34 PM
D'Antoni

lefty20
03-10-2013, 01:25 AM
LOL Robert was an idiot, didn't even realize his queen was getting busy w/ her brother and the fact that none of his kids had any of his physical traits. He was a drunkard who was lucky enough to have Ned as his best friend, and nothing more.

SupremeGuy
03-10-2013, 11:00 AM
The real question: Does Pop's wife have a mustache?

JingleJangleJingle
03-10-2013, 11:18 AM
the real question is do we have a "King Slayer?"

lefty20
03-10-2013, 04:07 PM
the real question is do we have a "King Slayer?"

Without one we can't beat the heat :bang

weeks
03-10-2013, 04:31 PM
i just realized i might be arguing with people who didn't read the books
if that's the case, then you really have no room to say anything about robert.

robert from the books and robert from the series have few similarities.
but just about everyone in ASOIAF - lannister, tyrell, barristan the bold, stannis himself - everyone universally agreed and remembered that robert was a badass at war, almost unstoppable. the hound mocks stannis by comparing his performance negatively to robert's in warfare. stannis himself wryly acknowledges his inferiority in the most recent book.
robert was a drunken buffoon after becoming king. because he was built for war. ned did not win his battles for him, complete misunderstanding of the books.

lefty20
03-10-2013, 06:41 PM
i just realized i might be arguing with people who didn't read the books
if that's the case, then you really have no room to say anything about robert.

robert from the books and robert from the series have few similarities.
but just about everyone in ASOIAF - lannister, tyrell, barristan the bold, stannis himself - everyone universally agreed and remembered that robert was a badass at war, almost unstoppable. the hound mocks stannis by comparing his performance negatively to robert's in warfare. stannis himself wryly acknowledges his inferiority in the most recent book.
robert was a drunken buffoon after becoming king. because he was built for war. ned did not win his battles for him, complete misunderstanding of the books.

A good king is suppose to be a warrior and a wise leader. So, in a way neither brother was a proper king. It makes sense as they stole the crown from Targaryen's to begin with. Clearly Ned should have been the king.

Cry Havoc
03-10-2013, 07:05 PM
A good king is suppose to be a warrior and a wise leader. So, in a way neither brother was a proper king. It makes sense as they stole the crown from Targaryen's to begin with. Clearly Ned should have been the king.

He never said Robert was a great king. He was he was a warrior. And he was, his hammer destroyed people right and left in battle. To be fair, Ned was easily one of the best swordsman in the 7K. Even well past his prime he was a match for Jaime who was considered among the very best.

Ned shouldn't have been the king because he didn't have the political acumen to take wise counsel when it was given to him. Robert at least realized that when storm clouds are gathering, you have to prepare for rain. He still underestimated how quickly you can lose your place, though.

lefty20
03-10-2013, 07:16 PM
He still underestimated how quickly you can lose your place, though.

And he wasn't the only one. It seems like every one has their own agenda in these novels, and you can't really trust anyone because you don't know who is gonna betray you next.

Cry Havoc
03-10-2013, 07:48 PM
And he wasn't the only one. It seems like every one has their own agenda in these novels, and you can't really trust anyone because you don't know who is gonna betray you next.

True, but my point was that Ned was completely absent of political sense. His honor would not permit him to act in any other manner, which made him incredibly predictable. Robert was a little bit more of a wildcard, and more wary of people.

DMC
03-10-2013, 08:09 PM
Phil wasn't true steel. Phil was cosmetic jewelry, appeared to be better than he was based on the stars he surrounded himself with.