PDA

View Full Version : OT: WNBA's Phoenix Mercury giving away free tickets to menz

fevertrees
03-09-2013, 11:44 PM
Pelicans need to do this next year for the entire fanbase.

WNBA's Phoenix Mercury takes creative approach to boosting attendance by offering free tickets to skeptical male fans

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/skeptical-male-fans-offered-free-wnba-tickets-article-1.1283452#ixzz2N6oNwWgJ

The Phoenix Mercury have a message for their male fans: Don't knock it 'till you try it.

In an effort to boost attendance, the WNBA team has offered its male fans free tickets to a game this upcoming season. There's no catch. If you're a man, and you've never been to a WNBA game, the Mercury will pick up the tab.

"I'm talking good tickets, too," Ben York writes on the team's website. "Trust me; we'll take care of you."

York, the Mercury's beat writer, published an article titled 'Guys: It's Time to Man Up' late last month, dangling the free tickets in exchange for simply giving the WNBA a shot. He writes about how most men scoff at the idea of high-level women's basketball being entertaining, and hopes the free seats will turn some fans around.

"Guys always think they can beat WNBA players. It’s crazy," York told the Daily News in email. "Last year at our male practice squad tryouts, we had five guys vomit within the first 30 minutes ... and these are dudes who have played in college, etc. The Mercury’s run-and-gun system is no joke. Needless to say, the players who ended up making the all-male practice squad are legit.”

York says the response has been positive, so far, which is a good thing. WNBA attendance was down 6.3% league-wide last year and the Mercury, despite ranking No. 5 in overall attendance, saw a drop of 14.8%, Sports Business Daily reported.

So, if you're looking for some free tickets, you can tweet at York (@bjyork) using the hashtag #ManUp or email him at [email protected]. And if you're in Phoenix, and you think you've got game, he'll set you up with a tryout for the all-male practice squad.

"You aren't going to contract cooties from liking the WNBA," he says.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/skeptical-male-fans-offered-free-wnba-tickets-article-1.1283452#ixzz2N6obIa3N

Thread
03-09-2013, 11:47 PM
I'd like to hide in the hamper after a game.

Robz4000
03-10-2013, 12:08 AM
I'd like to hide in the hamper after a game.

Jeezum

:lmao

LkrFan
03-10-2013, 12:09 AM
Spurs been damn near doing that for years with their $5.00 luxury box seats. :lol