PDA

View Full Version : Kawhi's Emergence, Jacksons Steady Decline

cd021
03-10-2013, 02:12 AM
Kawhi Leonard Emergency

-Scored in double digits 19 of last 21 games played (Spurs 17-4. 80.9%)

-In the past 21 game he is averaging 5.5 rebounds

-Scored double digits in 14 of last 15 games (Spurs 11-4)

-Had scored at least 14 points in 6 straight games

-Career high in scoring for the month of February 14.9 pts, on 47% FG.

-Lowest scoring game was 7 points at January 26th

-In the past 15 games, Leonard has scored 10 pts 3 times and at least 13 points 11 times.

Below shows Stephen Jackson's month by month struggles this

October -1 Game (25 minutes vs the Hornets) 33% FG

November-23.9 MPG, 7.8 PPG (Missed 7 Games Spurs 6-1)

FG %-37.5%

3pt%-31.3%

Assist Per Game-1.6

Turnovers Per Game-1.4

Steals Per Game-1.0

Personal Fouls Per Game-1.7

December-22.9 MPG, 6.5 PPG (Missed 1st 8 games of Month, Played Final 8 games. 6-2 W/O, 6-2 With Jackson)

FG %-37.5%

3pt%-25.0%

Assist Per Game-1.4

Turnovers Per Game-1.6

Steals Per Game-.6

Personal Fouls Per Game-2.0

January-18.9-MPG, 6.2 PPG (Missed 2 games , Played 3 minutes in @ Knicks game included. 1-1 W/O, 11-2 With Jackson)

FG %-36.5%

3pt%-28.6%

Assist Per Game-1.5

Turnovers Per Game-1.4

Steals Per Game-0.4

Personal Fouls Per Game-1.4

February-16.3 MPG, 4.6 PPG (Missed 4 Games 3-1 W/O, 8-3 With Jackson)

FG %-38.2%

3pt%-14.3%

Assist Per Game-1.1

Turnovers Per Game-1.4

Steals Per Game-1.1

Personal Fouls Per Game-1.1

His per minute production shows the same struggles.

11.2 PPG (Worst of Career)

Steals 1.2 (Worst of Career)

PF 2.9

2.7 Apg

2.6 T.O

26.4 3pt% (2nd worst of career)

67.7 FT% (Worst of Career)

P.E.R.-8.3 (Worst of Career) (dropping every season since 2008-2009,5 seasons)

Prime Time
03-10-2013, 03:22 AM
I'm still convinced Stephen Jackson is a huge key if Spurs want to crack the finals.

In the WCF, Spurs could have actually won if the refs weren't so against S-Jax.

-He played terrific defense on Kevin Durant at the end of G1, But every game after that he couldn't even touch KD without a foul being called
-He drilled a lot of triples in G6, Yet still received a technical for staring at OKC's bench :lol

But the past is the past, fact is; Jackson is still Jackson. He could be deaf and in a wheel chair, But no matter what he'll always be clutch as hell.

Man In Black
03-10-2013, 03:33 AM
For this season only and especially since February:

Let's be real here...Jackson having to deal with A)Sprained Ankle B)the loss of a child C)Time away from the team because of A + B

So, any player should be able to stay within some type of normal performance despite that... would have to be an emotionless robot.

They ain't robots, they are basketball players who have to deal with real life as well just like the rest of us.

The fact that he's working through it and is on the court shows how much the team believes in him even when some fans do not.

I too think that at least 1 big game win will have Jackson't hands all over it.

BatManu20
03-10-2013, 04:10 AM

Let's be real here...Jackson having to deal with A)Sprained Ankle B)the loss of a child C)Time away from the team because of A + B

So, any player should be able to stay within some type of normal performance despite that... would have to be an emotionless robot.

They ain't robots, they are basketball players who have to deal with real life as well just like the rest of us.

The fact that he's working through it and is on the court shows how much the team believes in him even when some fans do not.

:tu

racm
03-10-2013, 04:37 AM
That and Captain Jack's not a spring chicken either (3rd oldest member of the team).

If anything I think he gives the team a big playoff series. Not against Clippers (he's too slow for them). Probably against OKC or Miami.

Gospursel
03-10-2013, 07:22 AM
anyone remember a guy named robert horry? how was he in the regular season? Some guys are just made for the playoffs.

exstatic
03-10-2013, 08:14 AM
Jack's NEVER been a regular season player. Do fans of a team once graced by Robert Horry really need this explained to them?

AFBlue
03-10-2013, 08:44 AM
S(Jax)PAM

Boomersgold
03-10-2013, 09:23 AM
Jack's NEVER been a regular season player. Do fans of a team once graced by Robert Horry really need this explained to them?

Then why play him in the regular season?

Strategic
03-10-2013, 11:26 AM
NEVER? What happened the last time he suited up against the Spurs? I think Horry has about seven rings. I'm not comparing Horry to Jordan or anything, but ring wise, he's there. I'm all for Keeping Jax as long as he wants to play, but....anyway.

Brunodf
03-10-2013, 11:31 AM
anyone remember a guy named robert horry? how was he in the regular season? Some guys are just made for the playoffs.

I think Diaw is the one coasting tbh...He doesn't boxout/rebound and lack of effort...

Boomersgold
03-10-2013, 11:44 AM
I think Diaw is the one coasting tbh...He doesn't boxout/rebound and lack of effort...

Diaw's never been a defensive ace, so you can't really expect him to change his game this far into his career. He's a finesse player who excels at passing.

Brunodf
03-10-2013, 11:49 AM
Diaw's never been a defensive ace, so you can't really expect him to change his game this far into his career. He's a finesse player who excels at passing.

But he wasn't that bad in the playoffs...

therealtruth
03-10-2013, 12:02 PM
There's definitely players who play better when the stakes are higher and I think SJax is one of them. We all saw what he did against OKC.

Hoops Czar
03-10-2013, 12:40 PM

Apparently you missed his years in GS. Not a good comparison between Horry and S-jax. Horry was basically a role player his entire career while Jackson was a hot tempered All-star who singehandedly carried the Warriors and was an intricate part the Spurs success first time around (regular season and post-season).

And to Jackson's playoff success when compared to Horry? There is no comparison.....

S-jax postseason by the numbers
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jacksst02.html#playoffs_advanced::1

Robert Horry
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/horryro01.html#playoffs_advanced::none

Last year not withstanding, Horry's been far better but some Spurs fans have a short term memory and only remember the most recent.

Bill_Brasky
03-10-2013, 12:55 PM
Apparently you missed his years in GS. Not a good comparison between Horry and S-jax.

More bads from Hoops Czar.

Hoops Czar
03-10-2013, 12:58 PM
More bads from Hoops Czar.

Clueless must be your middle name or you don't know what you're watching... You can wish upon a star but I'm not holding my breath waiting and hoping for a post-season miracle.

shyne
03-10-2013, 01:09 PM
Bottom line is both Horry and Jackson have balls the size of grapefruits, and when the game is on the line and a big shot needs to be taken they will take it.

cd021
03-10-2013, 01:47 PM

He's averaged at least 18 ppg in 8 seasons.

Per 36 Minutes

Regular Season Postseason
17.1 ppg (Career) 13.9ppg (Career)
14.4 P.E.R 12.3 P.E.R

cd021
03-10-2013, 01:51 PM

o

I'm not trying to paint Jackson in a bad light. He can play but his numbers are still trending downward as he is getting healthier. He broke his finger in late November and was out till mid December. His decline in December is warranted but in January he numbers dropped again for know apparent reason. Despite his finger being healthier. He did sprain his ankle but missed a one game. Obviously the situation with his wife would could affect his play but this decline has been happening for months even heading back into last season.

Fabbs
03-10-2013, 01:58 PM
SJax performance vs Thunderefs was Bob Horrylike and should have gone down in Spurs history as being huge in leading to Finals.

He will show up again given the chance.
You can't "stat quantify" having nutts.

cd021
03-10-2013, 03:26 PM
SJax performance vs Thunderefs was Bob Horrylike and should have gone down in Spurs history as being huge in leading to Finals.

He will show up again given the chance.

I never said anything about his playoff performance. I was showing a statistical trend with both Small Forwards.

BackHome
03-10-2013, 03:59 PM
He is OK and i give him major props for what he is going through and still being in the frame of mind to work. But after this year no way do I sign him to another contract, time to get young and more athletic. I hope he goes out with another ring..:)

Fabbs
03-10-2013, 07:06 PM
I never said anything about his playoff performance. I was showing a statistical trend with both Small Forwards.
I think your OP is very noteworthy, esp SJax numerous career lows and steady decline of PER.
Along with Kawahis seeming prolonged slump in treys. He hit some huge treys in last years playoffs. Lets hope his new "take it to the rack" and midrange won't erase his trey threat.
Hopin Jax pulls his 3rd Championship worthy performance as a Spur. Farking robbed last year.

pgardn
03-10-2013, 07:26 PM
He may be declining.

But we MUST have him in the playoffs. Some of the matchups require we have him. He is one of the stronger taller guys on our team that can spell Leonard on Durant if it occurs. We gotta have him. Manu on Durant? Diaw? Bonner? Gotta have him.

hater
03-10-2013, 07:28 PM
yup when we're getting our asses kicked. that's when Jackson shows up. he was active vs. Blazers when everyone else was in playoff choking mode.

spurraider21
03-11-2013, 02:54 AM

wildbill2u
03-11-2013, 09:17 AM
CD021, you are trying to bring secular facts to a religious service. Beware lest you wind up tied to a stake and burned as a heretic.

Lots of folks on ST take it as a matter of religious faith that Jackson's attitude in the playoffs can overcome any physical or skill deficiencies. Deficiencies which you rightly demonstrate have gone from low-average NBA skills to below average skills over a sustained period of time.

In a fantasy one might imagine Michael Jordan at the twilight of his career summoning up reserves of character to make a final supreme showing of his skills in playoffs. Jax ain't no Michael Jordan. And we are in 2013, not 2003.

Fabbs
03-11-2013, 06:26 PM
Deficiencies which you rightly demonstrate have gone from low-average NBA skills to below average skills over a sustained period of time.

In a fantasy one might imagine Michael Jordan at the twilight of his career summoning up reserves of character to make a final supreme showing of his skills in playoffs. Jax ain't no Michael Jordan. And we are in 2013, not 2003.
And yet we're only 10 months removed from last years playoffs and SJaxs Robert Horrylike performance.
IIRC later in his career (earlier too) Bob used to suck in the reg season as the years went by.
An Horrylike guarantee that SJax will rise again in 2013? No but good chance he will.

hater
03-11-2013, 09:11 PM
Stephen Jackson shows up in a big game. what a surprise :rolleyes

hater
03-11-2013, 09:23 PM
Lots of folks on ST take it as a matter of religious faith that Jackson's attitude in the playoffs can overcome any physical or skill deficiencies.

it's not religion. it's common sense. Jackson is just another one in a long line of Rodmans, PJ Browns, Poseys and Horrys. He'll show up when need be.