PDA

View Full Version : And the 2012 olympic bid goes to....

Spurologist
07-06-2005, 07:02 AM
London. Damn. There goes 250 vbucks.

TheTruth
07-06-2005, 07:18 AM
that really really sucks.

Duncan21
07-06-2005, 07:45 AM
i will be going anyway

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-06-2005, 08:00 AM
I knew that London would pull it out and I still went with the even money for Paris.

You can't count on the French for anything :lol

1Parker1
07-06-2005, 08:01 AM
SINGAPORE (Olympics) - NBA star Tony Parker of France admitted his anguish following Paris' failure to win the IOC vote that would have made the French capital hosts of the 2012 Olympics.

Going head to head with London after Madrid, Moscow and New York had been eliminated in third round of voting in Singapore, Parker's France came off second best with London.

"We did all we could, we made an excellent presentation this morning and had a very strong bid," said Parker, the point guard for the NBA champions San Antonio Spurs who was among the French ambassadors in Singapore to support the bid.

"I don't know what else we could have done. If we don't have it now, I guess we will never get it.

"The IOC seems to be very pro-Anglo-Saxon. I feel extremely gutted."

whottt
07-06-2005, 08:09 AM
I feel kinda sorry for the French...honestly, they were the most deserving based on waiting time...Paris was the original host and they haven't hosted the Olympics since 1923...Well that's not entirely true since France has hosted the Olympics several times...but still...it's been a long time since they were in Paris...but I guess the Brits not having hosted them period in nearly 50 odd years was a big factor.

I am surprised the French didn't get it though...they tried really hard and I think the games would help their economy.

They probably would have gotten the bid if Chiraq hadn't gotten involved at the last minute...

He missed an excellent opportunity to shut up ;)

GrandeDavid
07-06-2005, 08:14 AM
They probably would have gotten the bid if Chiraq hadn't gotten involved at the last minute...

I echo that comment 100%. And I laugh at it. :lol

Lady M
07-06-2005, 08:30 AM
CIO is about money like anglo-saxon (britains or americans just think about it)

with eurostar i can go to London in 2h but i never give some money to so no fair play peoples

Guru of Nothing
07-06-2005, 08:31 AM

Yep. It was just a few days ago that Chirac said "We can't trust people who have such bad food," reportedly added that only Finland has worse food in Europe.

Paris lost the vote 54-50, and Finland had two voters in the IOC. :lol

SWC Bonfire
07-06-2005, 08:35 AM
What the hell are they going to do in London when the field events are 10 days behind because of rain delays? At least Paris has great weather in the summer.

I've seen London, I've seen France... I'll take France. :lol London is not the most beautiful or inexpensive city in Europe. Paris is nicer and you don't have to worry about cars coming from the wrong direction.

whottt
07-06-2005, 08:35 AM
He also said that the only thing that Britain has contributed to the EU farming industry was mad cow disease....:lol

Ole Jaque can run smack with the best of them, but his timing and targets often leave much to be desired...

Slomo
07-06-2005, 08:36 AM
Yep. It was just a few days ago that Chirac said "We can't trust people who have such bad food," reportedly added that only Finland has worse food in Europe.

They just reported this on the radio.
:lmao

Chirac is going to lose the next elections :lol

whottt
07-06-2005, 08:37 AM
Seriously...France had the bid locked up...It was Jaque that messed it up for them.

1Parker1
07-06-2005, 08:41 AM

:lmao Sounds like a Bush-ism.

Spurologist

I heard he said something like London has the worst food in Europe, followed by Finland.
IMO he might as well be 100% responsible for the bid loss.

SWC Bonfire
Yep. It was just a few days ago that Chirac said "We can't trust people who have such bad food,"

Well, I guess he didn't know any better than to tell the truth. The worst food in Europe has to be in Scotland, though. After a few weeks I was wondering where the actual meat went & why everyone was eating blood pudding and organ meats. :lol The only exception is the English breakfast, instead of the Continental breakfast. After a few weeks a baguette with jelly just ain't gonna cut it against eggs and ham.

WayDowntownBang
07-06-2005, 08:43 AM
"I don't know what else we could have done. If we don't have it now, I guess we will never get it.

I'm not trying to knock on your boy, but this is a pretty crappy approach to losing. "If we don't get it now, we'll never get it", and then that last comment. Not very cool. I always thought Parker was above this. There's a difference between being a "Good Loser" and "Sour Grapes". Bad comment in my eyes.

Slomo
07-06-2005, 08:43 AM
London has excellent food!!!

Just stay away from english restaurants :p

I agree Whottt Jacques screwed them out of the games :lol

1Parker1
07-06-2005, 08:48 AM
I'm not trying to knock on your boy, but this is a pretty crappy approach to losing. "If we don't get it now, we'll never get it", and then that last comment. Not very cool. I always thought Parker was above this. There's a difference between being a "Good Loser" and "Sour Grapes". Bad comment in my eyes.

Yea, I know, I didn't like his quotes either. Especially the Anglo-Saxon quote. That can start some controversy. Stick to basketball Tony!

SWC Bonfire
07-06-2005, 08:52 AM
London has excellent food!!!

Just stay away from english restaurants :p

That's a good point. :lol When in Britian, eat...Indian takeout. The curry somewhat satifies your chile pepper cravings after withdrawal from anything remotely spicy.

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-06-2005, 08:54 AM
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/7060/chiracpwned8mw.gif

whottt
07-06-2005, 08:57 AM
Tony did kind of kick his own ass...he seems to have a liking for "anglo-saxon" money as well...

Tony's just trying to be a good Frenchman(via America and Holland :wtf)...it's Chiraq that's the idiot.

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-06-2005, 08:58 AM
On the bright side, at least the French had their white flags nearby as always.

Guru of Nothing
07-06-2005, 09:12 AM
The worst food in Europe has to be in Scotland

Don't judge a book by its cover.

http://www.clubrunner.ca/Data/7080/140/Story/5997/haggis%20clipped.jpg

SWC Bonfire
07-06-2005, 09:14 AM
Don't judge a book by its cover.

http://www.clubrunner.ca/Data/7080/140/Story/5997/haggis%20clipped.jpg

What is that, the Royal Haggis? :lol

Haggis is great when drinking, FYI. The greasiness lines your stomach and keeps alcohol from being absorbed so quickly. Beer in Scotland rocks, though. :tu

Shelly
07-06-2005, 09:15 AM
Dammit! That's the last time I bet on anything that smeagol bet on! :flipoff

:lol

boutons
07-06-2005, 09:20 AM
The north of UK and N. Ireland have quite horrible native food, but you can find excellent Indian/Pakistan, French, Italian, Greek, Spanish, Lebanese, etc restaurants.

The crappy food and excess drink in northern UK/Ireland are more than just a mattter of taste and style:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4649195.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4651669.stm

1Parker1
07-06-2005, 09:22 AM
Dammit! That's the last time I bet on anything that smeagol bet on! :flipoff

You should follow me next time, Shelly. After all I am Vbookie :princess .

GrandeDavid
07-06-2005, 09:27 AM
SINGAPORE (Olympics) - NBA star Tony Parker of France admitted his anguish following Paris' failure to win the IOC vote that would have made the French capital hosts of the 2012 Olympics.

Going head to head with London after Madrid, Moscow and New York had been eliminated in third round of voting in Singapore, Parker's France came off second best with London.

"We did all we could, we made an excellent presentation this morning and had a very strong bid," said Parker, the point guard for the NBA champions San Antonio Spurs who was among the French ambassadors in Singapore to support the bid.

Okay, where's Pop when you need him!? He needs to get his boy under wraps. What's up with the sore loser tude? I thought after a couple of rings and four years of grooming to become a man in San Antonio that Tony would learn to take his medicine like a man and not whine like a Jacque Chirac. Okay, I can understand his dismay, but what the hell is up with the pro-Anglo Saxon bullshit comment?

I guess China got the 2008 bid because the IOC is very "pro Anglo Saxon".

Tony, you are a millionaire with two NBA championship rings. Get over it!

ObiwanGinobili
07-06-2005, 09:29 AM
The north of UK and N. Ireland have quite horrible native food, but you can find excellent Indian/Pakistan, French, Italian, Greek, Spanish, Lebanese, etc restaurants.

The crappy food and excess drink in northern UK/Ireland are more than just a mattter of taste and style:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4649195.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4651669.stm

well the upside is they don't have alot of elderly indigents weighing down families and the state.
it seems to be a trend here that as soon as your kids move out and you are thinking about retirement your parents move in with you and you end up having to work more years and spend most of your retirement savings on thier healthcare.

ObiwanGinobili
07-06-2005, 09:30 AM
maybe the reporter told Tony it would be "just between you and me" a'la Connie Chung.

1Parker1
07-06-2005, 09:33 AM
maybe the reporter told Tony it would be "just between you and me" a'la Connie Chung.

Did Connie Chung die? I don't know why I remember reading this a while ago...

SWC Bonfire
07-06-2005, 09:38 AM

Gotta die of something...:lol

I've found that with dealing with the French that it is advisable not to take some of the things they say too literally. I would have to say that the truest statement that I could make about the IOC is that they are Eurocentric douchebags.

hendrix
07-06-2005, 09:40 AM
Yea, I know, I didn't like his quotes either. Especially the Anglo-Saxon quote. That can start some controversy. Stick to basketball Tony!

I agree on that he whined and shouldn't have said that.
Other than that, he should speak all he wants. I'm sure you didnt mean to say: "shut up, you're just a basketball player" or something like that... but I dont like when people demands others to shut up (about anything) claiming (not in your case, let me repeat it) to be owners of the truth and travelers of the world.

GrandeDavid
07-06-2005, 09:44 AM
I agree on that he whined and shouldn't have said that.
Other than that, he should speak all he wants. I'm sure you didnt mean to say: "shut up, you're just a basketball player" or something like that... but I dont like when people demands others to shut up (about anything) claiming (not in your case, let me repeat it) to be owners of the truth and travelers of the world.

Hendrix, let me tell you what I think about crime in Argentin....just kidding! :lol

I see your point. I do not question Parker's right to speak his mind, but I question his judgment and maturity in what he said. And I point out that it conflicts with his professional attitude when he dons a Spurs uni. But its not big deal, really. All I care about when it comes to Parker is whether he'll come through for more championships.

spurschick
07-06-2005, 09:48 AM
Huge disappointment for France, but I can't be too hard on Tony. They probably shoved a microphone in his face moments after the decision was made and he was obviously upset. He made a couple of comments in haste, but a lot of people say things in the heat of the moment that they correct later.

Lady M
07-06-2005, 09:48 AM
Okay, where's Pop when you need him!? He needs to get his boy under wraps. What's up with the sore loser tude? I thought after a couple of rings and four years of grooming to become a man in San Antonio that Tony would learn to take his medicine like a man and not whine like a Jacque Chirac. Okay, I can understand his dismay, but what the hell is up with the pro-Anglo Saxon bullshit comment?

I guess China got the 2008 bid because the IOC is very "pro Anglo Saxon".

Tony, you are a millionaire with two NBA championship rings. Get over it!
Tony just say all the frech people think
London was an anglo saxon city and the war betwwen frenchs and anglo saxon just begin
I hate all the britains :pctoss

GrandeDavid
07-06-2005, 09:49 AM
Huge disappointment for France, but I can't be too hard on Tony. They probably shoved a microphone in his face moments after the decision was made and he was obviously upset. He made a couple of comments in haste, but a lot of people say things in the heat of the moment that they correct later.

Very good point! I, like I guess many people in this world, have said things I wish I could've taken back or better thought out.

1Parker1
07-06-2005, 09:50 AM

Yea, exactly.

Hendrix, I was just joking when I said stick with basketball Tony--I'm not sure he's cut out to be a ambassador or diplomat :)

Mr. Body
07-06-2005, 09:52 AM
Paris was robbed. Really, they were the best candidate and deserved this one hands down. Everybody should leave Parker alone - the guy was disappointed and upset.

I'm only glad New York didn't get it. That was one group that didn't deserve or need the Olympics in any way, shape or form.

ObiwanGinobili
07-06-2005, 09:57 AM
Did Connie Chung die? I don't know why I remember reading this a while ago...

Connie Chung died??? I didin't hear that....
I know her father in law died recently. Maury's father was a very famous sports writer for decades and decades.... he had a girly 1st name .. I can't remeber what it was.... Leslie Povich? Valerie Povich? Frances Povich? .... something.

ObiwanGinobili
07-06-2005, 10:00 AM
I hate to say it but i'm glad NY didin't get it either. I just don't see how they can host it.
I was rooting for Paris. I just thought it was thier time.

Solid D
07-06-2005, 10:01 AM
well the upside is they don't have alot of elderly indigents weighing down families and the state.
it seems to be a trend here that as soon as your kids move out and you are thinking about retirement your parents move in with you and you end up having to work more years and spend most of your retirement savings on thier healthcare.

A bigger trend in America is as soon as kids move out and hit some rough waters - so many are moving back in again with their parents.

SWC Bonfire
07-06-2005, 10:02 AM
I guess the big question is how do you translate "mind the gap" into Chinese?

1Parker1
07-06-2005, 10:08 AM
I'm only glad New York didn't get it. That was one group that didn't deserve or need the Olympics in any way, shape or form.

Actually, I was personally rooting for NY. It's so close by I would have been able to drive up and attend the games...I've never been to an Olympic game before :depressed

But, NY is not equipped to handle the crowd and stuff as it is.

nkdlunch
07-06-2005, 10:26 AM
I heard Tony is working on his next rap single:
"IOC de merde!!" :lol

Lady M
07-06-2005, 10:29 AM
in french we say "CIO de merde et de vendus" :blah

Mr. Body
07-06-2005, 10:31 AM
NYC is equipped to deal with the crowds and stuff, but the politicians were playing their stupid games trying to build a stadium in Midtown and not putting any realistic plans on the table. The population here was more lukewarm and noncommittal than any other candidate city. We in New York didn't want it here.

Jimcs50
07-06-2005, 11:00 AM
Smeagol lost 109K....damn...I wonder if he killed himself.

beirmeistr
07-06-2005, 10:11 PM
Man, that is hilarious.

xcoriate
07-06-2005, 10:56 PM
Smeagol lost 109K....damn...I wonder if he killed himself.

More likely he is killing Chirac :lol

Old School Chic
07-06-2005, 10:56 PM
It's funny how people get soooooooooooo excited about an event that Is scheduled to happen 7 years from now. :lol

What Is this world coming to?

xcoriate
07-06-2005, 10:58 PM
^ I don't see the problem?

MaNuMaNiAc
07-06-2005, 11:25 PM
Smeagol lost 109K....damn...I wonder if he killed himself. You do know he still has 1,600,000 vBookie right?http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

boutons
07-07-2005, 05:32 AM
Not a conspiracy, just old-fashioned corruption for which the Olymics is famous, eg, the (Mormon/Christian) Utah Olympics.

"Who pays most, wins." :)

=================

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/front_page/4657513.stm

"Lord Coe is flying back to London immediately after the International Olympic Committee named the capital as host city for the 2012 Olympics.

Coe stayed in Singapore over night but he intends to go straight back to work next week.

"There's now real hard GRAFT ahead over the next seven years, and particularly the next six months," said Coe. "

Pistons < Spurs
07-07-2005, 06:46 AM
Just one day after getting the Olympic nod, London gets attacked:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/07/07/london.tube/index.html

LONDON, England (CNN) -- Near simultaneous explosions have rocked London, killing several people and injuring dozens in what UK Prime Minister Tony Blair said was an apparent terror attack coinciding with a meeting of G8 leaders in Scotland.

A series of at least six explosions caused mass panic and brought the London transit system to a halt early Thursday, killing at least two people, police said.

The explosions rocked the city's subway systems and up to three more hit buses in the city, all at the height of rush hour.

The blasts caused chaos and panic across the city, with dazed and bloodied survivors emerging from stations. The mobile phone network was overloaded, and many struggled to let others know that they were safe.

In the first report of casualties, City of London police told CNN there had been two fatalities at Aldgate east station. At least 90 people are reported to have been injured.

Blair said: "It is reasonably clear there have been a series of terrorist attacks in London." There have been casualties, he said "both people that have died and people seriously injured."

"It's particularly barbaric that this has happened" on a day that people are meeting to deal with world problems at the G8 in Scotland.

Home Secretary Charles Clarke, Britain's top law enforcement officer, said: "There have been a number of dreadful incidents across London today." He said there were "terrible injuries."

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Ian Blair said authorities found found indications of explosives at the scene of one of the blasts and that there are concerns it was a coordinated terror attack.

"We are concerned that this is a coordinated attack. We are aware that one of the sites does containly does contain indications of explosives," Sir Ian Blair told Sky News.

He urged Londoners not to panic and said it was too early to say what caused the blasts.

A White House spokesman said U.S. President George W. Bush was aware of the explosions and had been in briefings with Blair all morning.

Claire Burroughs, spokeswoman for St Mary's Hospital in central London, told CNN the hospital was on "major incident alert."

Four patients were critically injured, eight were seriously injured and 14 others were being treated for minor injuries, she said.

"The types of injuries we are seeing include limb damage, burns, cuts, breaks, head injuries and chest problems due to smoke inhalation," Burroughs said.

The Tube blasts at the height of the rush hour on Thursday were initially blamed on a power surge.

But amid the chaos eyewitnesses reported that a packed double decker bus in the Russell Square area had been severely damaged in a blast.

There were media reports that a second bus had been damaged in Tavistock Square. Police told CNN they could not confirm that report.

Describing the Russell Square blast, eyewitness Belinda Seabrook told the UK Press Association she saw an explosion rip through the bus as it approached the Square.

"I was on the bus in front and heard an incredible bang, I turned round and half the double decker bus was in the air," she said.

One Tube passenger told CNN passengers had been packed in smoke-filled carriages "just waiting to die."

One passenger, with blood streaming down the left side of his face from a wound on his temple, said he didn't "want to live through it again."

"I was in the front carriage and people were severely injured there," he said, adding that his train had been in the tunnel between Kings Cross and Russell Square.

"I heard, but I don't know, that people were hurt worse further back. Some people were very calm, others very panicky."

"There was a very loud bang, the lights went out, the carriage filled with smoke," he said. "We were all thrown forward."

Travellers emerged from underground tunnels covered in blood and soot. Scotland Yard declared the emergency a "major incident."

Emergency services were called to London's Liverpool Street Station after reports of an explosion shortly before 9 a.m.

A short while later, London Underground said there had been "another incident at Edgware Road" station in north west London.

Lady M
07-07-2005, 12:13 PM
sorry no cry for me

noone cry for the bagdadies so why cry for anglo saxons

WayDowntownBang
07-07-2005, 12:50 PM
sorry no cry for me

noone cry for the bagdadies so why cry for anglo saxons

I'm not sure what you're trying to say, but people are people. And massive death is never good. I hope they can get back on their feet. This may have not been a '9-11", but a terrorist attack is a terrorist attack. NOT good.

whottt
07-07-2005, 12:58 PM
I'm not sure what you're trying to say, but people are people. And massive death is never good. I hope they can get back on their feet. This may have not been a '9-11", but a terrorist attack is a terrorist attack. NOT good.

She's French...for her it's good.

Lady M
07-07-2005, 01:06 PM
She's French...for her it's good.
no good just logic

London protected terrorists
France claimed the terrorist who made explosion in France 10 years
Now England arrested terrorists but it's to late

whottt
07-07-2005, 01:15 PM
The Bagdadders are getting blown up like that every day too...and it's not the British doing it...

WayDowntownBang
07-07-2005, 01:27 PM
It won't be 'good' nor logical when it's your home city, or your own neighborhood, or your own family being killed by terror. There's no 'nationality' about it. I suppose it was 'good' or 'logical' that 4000 people died in the World Trade Center?

These are things that people have to stick together with. I think the French Government is cowardice, but if and when a terrorist action happens in France, I will not think that this is 'good' or 'logical'. I will feel for the people and pray for them the same way as I am now, and how I did on September 11th. It's a shame that nationality comes before humanity.

Dex
07-07-2005, 01:48 PM
It's a shame that nationality comes before humanity.

Amen, man.

Words to live by right there.