PDA

View Full Version : Rubbing the Crystal Balls...

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2005, 08:32 AM
A potential 2005-06 Spurs lineup:

How the following would be constructed:

Re-sign Horry and DBrown using their Early Bird rights.

Sign Abdur-Rahim using the MLE.
Sign Kukoc for 1 year with a team option for a 2nd year for the minimum or the LLE.

Starters
1 Parker
2 Ginobili
3 Bowen
4 Duncan
5 Mohammed

Bench
1 Udrih
1/2 Barry
2 Brown
3 Kukoc
4 Horry
4 Abdur-Rahim
5 Nesterovic

IR
1 Wilks or other PG (AGarcia?)
3 LJohnson III or summerleague prospect
5 Massenburg or younger PF/C

This roster would be rather nasty for the rest of the league. The Spurs should be able to match up with anyone. No idiots in the group. Kukoc and Abdur-Rahim would give the Spurs some length in the frontcourt. Also, the Spurs would have some scoring punch off the bench. The Spurs would have 6 players off the bench as well as two bigs who have solid 3 point range. Virtually everyone can get out and run. They could keep Rasho around as trade bait.

GrandeDavid
07-06-2005, 08:34 AM
Well, I guess with a lineup that potent I could be patient and wait another year or so for Luis Scola!

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2005, 08:36 AM
Indeed. Next summer there will not be a buyout to worry about. Once Radosoft is moved then next season the Spurs will have some room for him. Horry's supposedly going to play only two more seasons so Scola will eventually have plenty of minutes.

GrandeDavid
07-06-2005, 08:39 AM
MB, as usual you've made a strong case. Maybe you should take the position that Danny Ferry just vacated!

TheTruth
07-06-2005, 08:40 AM
you have crystal balls?

constantstate
07-06-2005, 08:43 AM
i like this idea. sar could take some heavy mins off of horry in the regular season. he's only 28/29 so he'd still have good trade value if scola comes over next season. you're still weak at the 3 but kukoc and brown could cause all those matchup problems i've been hearing about without actually trading away a quality center for an old guy.

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2005, 08:47 AM
Yes, SAR turns 29 this December. He has a lot of basketball left. Getting him for the MLE would be a great deal for the Spurs. He and TD are roughly the same age.

1Parker1
07-06-2005, 08:50 AM
you have crystal balls?
:lol

TheTruth
07-06-2005, 08:51 AM
Trade Rasho to Memphis for Shane Battier and Sign Scola and Oberto

C Nazr, Timmy, Oberto
PF Timmy, Horry, Scola, Oberto
SF Bruce, Battier, Brown
SG Manu, Barry, Brown
PG Tony, Beno, Barry

pache100
07-06-2005, 08:52 AM
A potential 2005-06 Spurs lineup:

Starters
1 Parker
2 Ginobili
3 Bowen
4 Duncan
5 Mohammed

Bench
1 Udrih
1/2 Barry
2 Brown
3 Kukoc
4 Horry
4 Abdur-Rahim
5 Nesterovic

IR
1 Wilks or other PG (AGarcia?)
3 LJohnson III or summerleague prospect
5 Massenburg or younger PF/C

Just one question for ya: SCOLA????????????

constantstate
07-06-2005, 08:52 AM
Yes, SAR turns 29 this December. He has a lot of basketball left. Getting him for the MLE would be a great deal for the Spurs. He and TD are roughly the same age.
also... if tim or horry went out for a period of time in the regular season, you'd still have a really good scoring threat at the 4.

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2005, 08:53 AM
Just one question for ya:

Re-read the thread. Thank you.

constantstate
07-06-2005, 08:54 AM
Trade Rasho to Memphis for Shane Battier and Sign Scola and Oberto

C Nazr, Timmy, Oberto
PF Timmy, Horry, Scola, Oberto
SF Bruce, Battier, Brown
SG Manu, Barry, Brown
PG Tony, Beno, Barry

if this could be done... god himself would be wearing the colors black and silver.

kskonn
07-06-2005, 08:57 AM
That would be a sweet lineup

kskonn
I read the thread. Since you did not mention him, my question stands.

As mentioned in the thread he would come next year, when there is no buy out.

Marcus Bryant
The major problem with this scenario is that I don't believe that SAR's price will ultimately be the MLE.

Kukoc + Scola is much more feasible for next season.

pache100
07-06-2005, 08:58 AM
As mentioned in the thread he would come next year, when there is no buy out.

Maybe. Personally, I believe we will see Scola before that, though.

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2005, 08:59 AM
I read the thread. Since you did not mention him, my question stands.

?

Look at the 3rd post in this thread:

Indeed. Next summer there will not be a buyout to worry about. Once Radosoft is moved then next season the Spurs will have some room for him. Horry's supposedly going to play only two more seasons so Scola will eventually have plenty of minutes.

TheTruth
07-06-2005, 08:59 AM
SAR would sign w/the Spurs for the MLE.

pache100
07-06-2005, 09:02 AM
?

Look at the 3rd post in this thread:

All right, already. I am having internet connection problems this morning and it took me awhile to read the whole thread. Sorry, ok? Can you let it go?

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2005, 09:11 AM
SAR would sign w/the Spurs for the MLE.

He's a 28 year old power forward with career averages of 19.8 points, 8.1 boards, and 1.07 steals per game and last season he shot 50.3% from the field, 38.5% on 3s, and 86.6% from the line.

Does the MLE seem right for that in the NBA?

GrandeDavid
07-06-2005, 09:15 AM
MB, what do you have to say about the allegation that "you have crystal balls"? :lol

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2005, 09:18 AM
Solid crystal.

1Parker1
07-06-2005, 09:20 AM
Solid crystal.
:lol

ObiwanGinobili
07-06-2005, 09:21 AM
this is too much of a headhache for me.

all the 'what if' s and "if we... then we could ....." and "we better ..... casue ......" but "they can't .... and ...... casue ....... so they'll have to ....."

UGH!! I can't wait for next season.

JUUOT
07-06-2005, 09:26 AM
clearly NO. and with the deal Hoory agreed to. i think thes spurs do not have more to offer than the MLE.

The Oberto rumors is a good sign they want to bring Scola. they try to pressure Tau which is usually really strict.
At 25, Scola is well aware, the more he waits the hardest it will be to make the jump to the NBA.

There is defintely more chance to see Scola than SAR in spurs uniform next year.

i like the Kukoc part though

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2005, 09:29 AM
If the Spurs were able to move Nesterovic for SAR they could offer more than the MLE, especially considering that trades can be completed in the NBA for teams over the cap with a team receiving +/-25% + $100K of the salary they send out.

Rasho's salary for 2005-06 is going to be $6.7 mil or so.

Just a thought.

Solid D
07-06-2005, 09:32 AM
I'm not impressed with SAR for a team like the Spurs. He has skills and can be a tough matchup offensively, but I don't see the intensity on defense and he doesn't consistently compete. Maybe it's the teams he's been on that has added to that behavioral tendency.

I like some of the proposals for Marshall and I definitely like Luis Scola. I still think a frontcourt of Duncan, Nesterovic, Mohammed, Horry and Scola would be top shelf. It would almost be like getting Malik back but still keeping Mohammed.

picnroll
07-06-2005, 09:46 AM
With just Duncan, Manu, Parker, Bowen, Barry, Nazr, Rasho and Udrih under contract for 05-06 the Spurs have $54 million in salary commited. Add another say $6 million for Horry and Brown and you're at $60 million. Wherer does the luxury tax kick in? You can bet that Holt won't be going over that short or long term.

Scola represents two years of cheap labor when he signs a contract. From a business standpoint when you need to bring in that cheap labor has meaning. With Nazr's contract coming up, if the Spurs intend to keep him, I don't see them wanting to add too much longterm debt. From a business standpoint bringing in Scola a year from now, adding a one year short term piece like Kukoc and trying to move Rasho for a good SF or decent player with a much shorter term contract might be the way to go.

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2005, 09:56 AM
If you get SAR for the MLE I think you do it. Winning titles does impact the Spurs positively at the top and bottom of the income statement. If you have the opportunity to add a 28 year old 4 man with the career that SAR has had so far and who has wanted to play for you for years for the MLE, do it.

TheTruth
07-06-2005, 10:07 AM
He's a 28 year old power forward with career averages of 19.8 points, 8.1 boards, and 1.07 steals per game and last season he shot 50.3% from the field, 38.5% on 3s, and 86.6% from the line.

Does the MLE seem right for that in the NBA?
The guy just came of a Max contract playing for lousy teams. He wants to play for a winner, and I think he'll take less than market. I just don't think the spurs will offer it.

TheTruth
07-06-2005, 10:09 AM
If the Spurs were able to move Nesterovic for SAR they could offer more than the MLE, especially considering that trades can be completed in the NBA for teams over the cap with a team receiving +/-25% + $100K of the salary they send out.

Rasho's salary for 2005-06 is going to be $6.7 mil or so.

Just a thought.
The last thing I want them to do with Rasho is move him for SAR. Especially if we are going to take a similar contract back.

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2005, 10:13 AM
Yeah, but just because you made a lot at your last job doesn't mean that you will work for that much less at your new one. Also, I will add that this is SAR's last chance to get a major deal in his career. 6 years at the MLE isn't that.

TheTruth
07-06-2005, 10:15 AM
I don't think the Spurs would ever offer the MLE for 6 years.

picnroll
07-06-2005, 10:23 AM
I don't think the Spurs would ever offer the MLE for 6 years.
And they'd be nuts if they did. The Spurs are not the Dallas Mavericks, collecting talent that sits on the bench. Spurs just won a title going seven - eight deep into the roster the entire playoffs.

Mr. Body
07-06-2005, 10:24 AM
New Jersey and Sacramento would likely outbid for SAR. They really could use him. Us, not so much.

Under this scenario I see Scola asking for his rights to be traded. He wants to come over and wouldn't like the idea of coming only to play third string. You can't put him off forever. Say goodbye to Scola.

I don't see the appeal of Kukoc. He's awful defensively. And then he duplicates what you get from Horry in long-range shooting. You'd only play him in late game situations... but then you wouldn't, because Horry is there. I'd much rather work out a younger player in that slot who has some upside.

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2005, 10:26 AM
And they'd be nuts if they did. The Spurs are not the Dallas Mavericks, collecting talent that sits on the bench. Spurs just won a title going seven - eight deep into the roster the entire playoffs.

Horry is not going to play forever.

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2005, 10:30 AM
New Jersey and Sacramento would likely outbid for SAR. They really could use him. Us, not so much.

Sure.

Under this scenario I see Scola asking for his rights to be traded. He wants to come over and wouldn't like the idea of coming only to play third string. You can't put him off forever. Say goodbye to Scola.

Perhaps. Again, Scola is an unknown in the NBA. He has some things working for him, but I'm not sure he is going to be that great defensively in the NBA.

I don't see the appeal of Kukoc. He's awful defensively. And then he duplicates what you get from Horry in long-range shooting. You'd only play him in late game situations... but then you wouldn't, because Horry is there. I'd much rather work out a younger player in that slot who has some upside.

This team does not have a backup 3 with any size. Kukoc brings that, he'd be cheap, he would fit in the motion offense rather well, has plenty of big game experience and yeah, he has good range on his shot. This team got away without having much length this past season. I wouldn't count on that in the future.

Defensively his length would be good enough. Glenn Robinson figured out how to defend when he became a San Antonio Spur. Surprise, surprise.

Something to think about with Scola...is he big enough? How's his wingspan?

picnroll
07-06-2005, 10:34 AM
Horry has two solid years. I wouldn't tie up two years with SAR so that I could get another two years when Horry's gone. Plus SAR is primarily a back to the basket low post player which is exactly what Scola is. Ans maybe by the 07-08 season when Horry's likely gone Scola can add some three point range to his game. Manu has certainly shown marked improvement in that area.

Kukoc could be vet minium insurance againat Horry having a plyoff more like 04 than 05.

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2005, 10:39 AM
SAR is also a player with a legit jumpshot, unlike Nazr.

Kukoc fits the role of having vets at the end of the bench that you can go to in certain moments in the postseason, like DFerry in the Game 2 of the '03 1st round or Kerr in Game 6 of the '03 WCF. I'd rather have Kukoc on the bench in the postseason next year than a project, that's for certain.

Gummi
07-06-2005, 10:46 AM
First of all, I would like say that I really like Shareef's game. He's got great size, quickness, and a really nice hook-shot. But, I cannot see a player of his caliber comming to San Antonio to sit on the bench and play maybe 20 minutes a night. Sorry I just can't see that happening. Like I said, I really like his game, but we have Bowen who's our starting SF. He plays 30-32 minutes a night. OK. We have Duncan. He's going to play around 36-37 minutes a night. We have Nazr who's going to play around 23-26 minutes a night. Then there's Horry and he's probably going to play 16-18 minutes a night. Then there's Rasho. He's going to take most of Nazr backup minutes. Maybe around 18 or so.

Maybe I'm off on some guys minutes, but I think it's pretty fair. There's absolutly no room for Shareef unless we trade either Rasho or Nazr. That's the only way. Shareef is a versatile player, he plays SF and PF, but we're stacked in those positions. Duncan, Horry, Bowen, maybe Barry. It's not possible to add a player off Shareef's caliber withour moving someone. And also, I don't think he's interested in comming off the bench. He could start for almost every team in the league so I doubt that he would welcome a move to SA to come off the bench. He had some problems doing that in Portland.

Just my opinion.

Mr. Body
07-06-2005, 10:48 AM
Kukoc is an awful idea. Just awful. The man can't play a lick of defense and won't. Why aren't we talking about resigning Big Dog, if you're so hot on The Waiter?

I don't see SAR wanting to come to San Antonio, when it's all said and done. All this talk about All-Star backups is well and nice and good and everything, but simply, New Jersey has a gaping hole ready for him in their frontcourt and has nice players around him on the perimeter. I would be insane to pass that up for limited minutes elsewhere. You would be insane to pass it up. He would be insane to pass it up.

In the end, NJN gives more money and time and a bigger role and he accepts it, very happy to be in the playoffs for the first time, with a decent team with a nice front office and where he makes a big impact.

The Spurs go with the low-risk, high-reward proposition of finally bringing their guy Scola over, who is an athletic skilled hustler who has competed exceptionally well against NBA competition on the world stage and has won more at this stage of his career than SAR ever has, at four years younger. He's a proven bench player while SAR might need huge minutes to be effective, and he's much cheaper.

Seems like a no-brainer to me. But every summer these message boards need to go rampant with some "Tracy McGrady a Spur!" rumors. Fine. But they don't make any basketball sense. And two sides - the player, the team - making nice and saying how much they'd like to work with each other, doesn't make "basketball sense" - it means they're being nice.

Oh, and Kukoc? Awful idea. No thanks.

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2005, 10:49 AM
First of all, I would like say that I really like Shareef's game. He's got great size, quickness, and a really nice hook-shot. But, I cannot see a player of his caliber comming to San Antonio to sit on the bench and play maybe 20 minutes a night. Sorry I just can't see that happening. Like I said, I really like his game, but we have Bowen who's our starting SF. He plays 30-32 minutes a night. OK. We have Duncan. He's going to play around 36-37 minutes a night. We have Nazr who's going to play around 23-26 minutes a night. Then there's Horry and he's probably going to play 16-18 minutes a night. Then there's Rasho. He's going to take most of Nazr backup minutes. Maybe around 18 or so.

If SAR comes then Rasho is out.

Maybe I'm off on some guys minutes, but I think it's pretty fair. There's absolutly no room for Shareef unless we trade either Rasho or Nazr. That's the only way. Shareef is a versatile player, he plays SF and PF, but we're stacked in those positions. Duncan, Horry, Bowen, maybe Barry. It's not possible to add a player off Shareef's caliber withour moving someone. And also, I don't think he's interested in comming off the bench. He could start for almost every team in the league so I doubt that he would welcome a move to SA to come off the bench. He had some problems doing that in Portland.

Indeed. Which is why nabbing him for the MLE in SA would be a steal. I agree with you that the chances are slim, but if for whatever reason he's available at that price and he wants to come to San Antonio, the Spurs can't be too choosy.

wildbill2u
07-06-2005, 10:52 AM
If the rights to Scola are permanent, wouldn't it make more sense to bring him over the year after his contract expires so neither the Spurs or Scola would have to pay a price for a buy-out.

After all, it's not as though we're hurting at PF right now.

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2005, 10:54 AM
Kukoc is an awful idea. Just awful. The man can't play a lick of defense and won't. Why aren't we talking about resigning Big Dog, if you're so hot on The Waiter?

Who will cost more? It's not so awful once you think about that. Also, I think you are ignoring how well his offensive skill set would fit in with the Spurs as well as the fact that no one has asserted that Kukoc would be starting or coming off the bench for 25 minutes a night. As a reserve who averages maybe 10 to 15 minutes a night he'd fit in well. GRobinson has had the tag of being a horrid defender throughout his career and that didn't seem to be much of a problem in SA.

Again, who are the Spurs going to get that is better for what they can afford? Once you look at the reality of the situation then you can stop being so damn picky.

Seems like a no-brainer to me. But every summer these message boards need to go rampant with some "Tracy McGrady a Spur!" rumors. Fine. But they don't make any basketball sense. And two sides - the player, the team - making nice and saying how much they'd like to work with each other, doesn't make "basketball sense" - it means they're being nice.

That's great. It's in the media yet again this summer. It's a bit more than just some random poster throwing out the idea.

This is a discussion forum and it's being discussed. Sorry if you can't handle that.

Oh, and Kukoc? Awful idea. No thanks.

What's yours? Bring one for a change. I've already detailed why it isn't so awful. You dump on others for discussing SAR to SA as being unreasonable and yet you seem to think that the Spurs are going to be able to land something better than Kukoc as a backup 3.

Gummi
07-06-2005, 10:56 AM
I've been a fan of Shareef's for years and I would really like to see him in San Antonio. I'm hoping. If he's ready to come off the bench and play maybe 25-28 minutes a night, I think he would accept that. And of course he would have to get the full MLE, which is a bargain for a player of his caliber. He's got a great offensive arsenal which we could use.

The worst part about this is that the Blazers don't need a starting center. They have two solid centers in Ratliff and Przybilla so we can't a make a sign-and-trade with them.

Mr. Body
07-06-2005, 10:57 AM
If SAR comes then Rasho is out.

Keep Rasho, then.
Shaq still exists.

Indeed. Which is why nabbing him for the MLE in SA would be a steal. I agree with you that the chances are slim, but if for whatever reason he's available at that price and he wants to come to San Antonio, the Spurs can't be too choosy.

What the Dreamers seem to forget is there are brains inside of players heads. Brains with desires and attitudes and ideas about their roles on teams. Dreamers think players come pre-lobotomized and will gladly ride the pine for their Homer-Teams in order to play 5-10 minutes a game and be extremely, droolingly happy about it.

Dreamers don't see there is a whole other side of this, which is SAR and his understanding of how much basketball is left in him (hint: a lot). How much he wants to play (hint: maximize his time and importance). Who he wants to play for (hint: a good team likely to make the playoffs).

The San Antonio Spurs, Homer-Fans, can fulfill only one of the above for him. It looks like the money will be relatively equal Sacramento/San Antonio/New Jersey. That being true, a non-lobotomized man looks at the other issues of importance. The man wants and deserves to play 35 minutes a game. The man wants and deserves to start.

He'll get neither with the Spurs.

I should inaugurate an acronym to commemorate these kinds of posts. I'll call them "TMWBASTS!!!!!111!!11ONE!" Tracy McGrady Will Be a Spur This Summer!!!!! You can count on it!! He said he wants to come here!!!!

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2005, 11:00 AM
That's cute. Unfortunately for you, a number of us here already assume that a player understands the way the Spurs operate and would be comfortable with that as well as their prospective role on the team.

Apparently SAR has interest in SA when it's rather clear that a starting spot would not be guaranteed.

So try again, or perhaps, give it a rest already.

Mr. Body
07-06-2005, 11:03 AM
What's yours? Bring one for a change. I've already detailed why it isn't so awful. You dump on others for discussing SAR to SA as being unreasonable and yet you seem to think that the Spurs are going to be able to land something better than Kukoc as a backup 3.

I already said. For a 11th or 12th man, take someone young who can develop on the team. Not somebody who duplicates (with less clutch ability) the number one skill of one of your other veterans with absolutely no other pertinent skills to speak of. Maybe Big Dog doesn't go for cheap any more. Fine. If he does, he has far more to offer than Kukoc, since he has some other capabilities for this team. We're talking about players deep on the bench, anyway.

The SAR discussion is vaguely interesting but ultimately unlikely for copious reasons many on this board have already stated. It doesn't make sense for SAR, ultimately.

The Kukoc idea is completely lame. I guess - I guess he'll be okay as a 12th man, but he'll get no time on this team, shouldn't get time on this team, and would be a liability any time he was on the court. He's breaking down and any chance he had of being a perimeter defender with any quickness was lost long ago.

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2005, 11:05 AM
Yes, we are talking about players deep on the bench. That's inevitable when you have the majority of the roster set already.

Taking on a project when you have a skilled vet available is rather lame.

Mr. Body
07-06-2005, 11:07 AM
So try again, or perhaps, give it a rest already.

Tracy McGrady WILL BE A SPUR! WHOO-HOOO!!!

I seem to remember him mentioning this team among those he wanted to go to last year. Did anybody think it was in any way likely? Nope. Did anybody think it made any basketball sense for anybody involved? Nope. Did most people understand it as a way for McGrady to indicate the kinds of winning programs he wanted to play for? Yep. Did people on this board go crazy thinking it was imminently going to happen? Yep. A disturbing and embarrassing number of them.

Granted, it's more likely SAR will be a Spur. 10% beats 0%. But in the end it doesn't make basketball sense for SAR. That's the bottom line.

However...

Homers Can Be Dreamers.

HCBD.

Edited to add: Kukoc. No. Just... no. If you're going after vets, grab somebody who fills a role. Kukoc's prospective role? Already filled.

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2005, 11:09 AM
Yawn. My my, someone needs to have their ego stroked.

Kukoc's prospective role is not yet filled. Try again.

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2005, 11:14 AM
And for the record, I certainly did not think McGrady to SA was even a remote possibility.

So try again, or stop reading the forum if you are offended so by the discussions in here.

Mr. Body
07-06-2005, 11:26 AM
So try again, or stop reading the forum if you are offended so by the discussions in here.

Oh, I'm not offended. It's pretty hilarious. Every summer, after the playoff buzz subsides, everybody spontaneously throes into these spasms of unlikely scenarios about what ferociously good players are coming to the team. Players who will never miss a shot. Players who will suddenly play great defense. Players who will play for sawbacks instead of the millions they have been earning. It's like a seasonal rite.

Alright, I'll give up. I stated my reasonings: Kukoc doesn't fill any needs at all and otherwise is a liability. SAR will not want to pine on the bench, when it comes down to it, since most human beings like to maximize their potential even if - and this might be hard to understand - the other option is to become a Spur.

My opinion, which may obviously turn out to be misguided, is that we should bring in Scola and possibly resign Glenn Robinson. I don't see Robinson as necessary, but he could help as he learns his role. I see Scola as really working in this system. I see you don't. That's fine. We'll see.

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2005, 11:31 AM
Again, every discussion about SAR in this forum has been with the implicit (and often explicit) assumption that he'd accept a different role than he's had in the past. Given that the team is reportedly interested in him, that he's yet again for the 10th year or whatever interested in coming to SA and the Spurs have tradeable assets (ie Nazr and Radosoft) that his current team might find appealing to take back in a sign and trade, the discussions in this forum about him are rather appropriate.

While there are plenty of reasons why it won't materialize, it is certainly not equivalent to the pipedream of McGrady to SA.

As for a true backup 3, apparently the Spurs thought it mattered last season. Who's more likely to sign for more elsewhere, Kukoc or Robinson?

jcrod
07-06-2005, 11:33 AM
If you can bring Scola now, you do it. No need to wait if he wants to come over. The sooner the better. He's already 25, so you should bring him over to start learning the system. His offensive game will be a tremendous asset to the Spurs.

SAR (or Marshall in TMVP thread) is good and would like to have him, but only if involves dealing Rasho. No need to spend the MLE when we could use it on Scola and DBrown.

Gino2882
07-06-2005, 11:34 AM
The Spurs can only hope that SAR desire to win will allow for him to play less minutes for the Spurs.

Extra Stout
07-06-2005, 11:35 AM
Kukoc fills the following roles:

-- veteran who can impart experience to others.

-- long 6'10" guy who takes up space against other long small forwards during the infrequent stretches he actually would be on the court.

-- cheap player whose vet-min salary is paid by the league, and who doesn't count against luxury tax figures.

-- someone who can impersonate Rashard Lewis, Tayshaun Prince, or Richard Jefferson in practice.

He'd fill the role of Steve Smith in 2003 -- a guy who almost never plays, but has value in the locker room.

There are 14 spots on the active roster now, and not all of them have to be projects. There are small forward projects playing in Europe right now.

Mr. Body
07-06-2005, 11:36 AM
Alright, my last post before I have to go. If SAR signs with the Spurs, I'd be elated, though it would spell the end for Scola in San Antonio. I know you're not high on him, but I see a ton of promise (and a more likely scenario). I just don't see it making sense for Shareef to truly consider the Spurs and is just keeping his options open. He certainly doesn't want to drop into a lousy situation if New Jersey falls through.

Kukoc I just don't see. If he was signed, I'd support him, sure, but it'd be just like he wasn't there, since he'd have little to no impact on the team. I'm still dubious about Robinson signing for big money elsewhere, but it could happen. Even if neither player comes in, it's all equal, since Robinson's effect during the playoffs was negligible.

So, in short, SAR is a fine player should he convert to bench production. But a more likely situation is Scola coming in. I'd be very excited about that.

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2005, 11:41 AM
Kukoc fills the following roles:

-- veteran who can impart experience to others.

-- long 6'10" guy who takes up space against other long small forwards during the infrequent stretches he actually would be on the court.

-- cheap player whose vet-min salary is paid by the league, and who doesn't count against luxury tax figures.

-- someone who can impersonate Rashard Lewis, Tayshaun Prince, or Richard Jefferson in practice.

He'd fill the role of Steve Smith in 2003 -- a guy who almost never plays, but has value in the locker room.

There are 14 spots on the active roster now, and not all of them have to be projects. There are small forward projects playing in Europe right now.

Good points. He'd be a stopgap fix for one season. Both DFerry and Horry looked washed up when the Spurs signed them, but they proved to be useful. Not to say that Kukoc would be much more than the description in the above quote. Still, I think he's closer to Ferry than Smith when it comes to usefulness.

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2005, 11:50 AM
Something to think about...prior to the 2002-03 season wouldn't have Kerr and Ferry fit the description of an "awful idea" in this thread? Were they not crucial in that title run?

The Spurs play for championships. Experienced vets at the end of the bench make more sense than projects.

TheTruth
07-06-2005, 11:59 AM
Something to think about...prior to the 2002-03 season wouldn't have Kerr and Ferry fit the description of an "awful idea" in this thread? Were they not crucial in that title run?

The Spurs play for championships. Experienced vets at the end of the bench make more sense than projects.
It was different in 2003. We had rookie Manu as our 6th man, a 2nd year point guard, a starting 2 guard in the playoffs for the first time. This years team is WAY more experienced than that team ever was. I say you bring in a young 3 that you can stick on the end of the bench to learn. I'm comfortable with the experience the core we have now brings to the table.

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2005, 12:02 PM
Sure, but both Ferry and Kerr were out of the rotation by playoff time.

TheTruth
07-06-2005, 12:04 PM
and Kukoc would be out of the rotation before the end of training camp. I say find a young long 3 and let the guy learn. No use in wasting the space/time with a player i don't see contributing at all this season or next.

Dex
07-06-2005, 12:05 PM
Seems like a winner to me, but we still need to bring Scola over.

I'd take Luis over Kukoc anyday, even if we do have to give him a year to break in.

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2005, 12:09 PM
and Kukoc would be out of the rotation before the end of training camp. I say find a young long 3 and let the guy learn. No use in wasting the space/time with a player i don't see contributing at all this season or next.

And Ferry and Kerr were? Come on. The Spurs do have a young long 3. He's in Europe now where he can actually be of more value than sitting on the bench in SA. You want guys there at the end of the bench who you can call on and expect an immediate contribution.

The Spurs play for championships today, not hope tomorrow.

Dex
07-06-2005, 12:13 PM

Yeah, we're not the freaking Knicks. :lmao

SequSpur
07-06-2005, 12:14 PM
When I rub my balls, I wonder if Beno and Rasho get to do that.

TheTruth
07-06-2005, 12:18 PM
And Ferry and Kerr were? Come on. The Spurs do have a young long 3. He's in Europe now where he can actually be of more value than sitting on the bench in SA. You want guys there at the end of the bench who you can call on and expect an immediate contribution.

When did we need the experienced 3 during this playoff run? The way I see it is we won a championship this year w/o that playoff tested veteran coming off the end of the bench. What I see next year is Brent Barry with a year of Spurs basketball under his belt, a healthy Devin Brown to fill the spot you are looking at Kukoc filling.

The spurs will WILL be playing for the championship today, while building for tomorrow.

TheTruth
07-06-2005, 12:18 PM
When I rub my balls, I wonder if Beno and Rasho get to do that.
When I rub MY balls, beno and rasho are nowhere near my thoughts.

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2005, 12:27 PM
When did we need the experienced 3 during this playoff run?

Robinson, Glenn. Game 4 against Denver and then in Game 1 of the Finals. He came up huge in both of those games.

TheTruth
07-06-2005, 12:29 PM
Robinson, Glenn. Game 4 against Denver and then in Game 1 of the Finals. He came up huge in both of those games.
I almost forgot about all that championship experience that Glen Robinson brought off the bench. My bad.

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2005, 12:31 PM
Robinson is an experienced veteran small forward. I'll spell it out for you next time.

TheTruth
07-06-2005, 12:33 PM
And, your telling me Devin (an inexperienced playoff performer) couldn't have done the same things that Big Dog did? Hustle plays can be made by anyone. A first year player, a 5th year player, a 10th year player.

TheTruth
07-06-2005, 12:35 PM
If i asked you when we signed Glen if you would rather have him in there in the finals or Devin would you have picked Glen? Not a freaking chance!

clubalien
07-06-2005, 12:40 PM
the best places for SAR are
nets spurs
with nets he gets mroe minutes no Kmart there now
and they can sign him to a MLE and then reup him for more money

with spurs he can take horry and tim minuetes in regualr season play some SF even thoughb he hates it in portland

he is a great scorer, person
i would give him the FULL MLE if he wanted to come

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2005, 12:43 PM
The Spurs signed an experienced veteran small forward for the bench, someone who was not a part of the regular rotation come playoff time, and he came through twice during the 2005 title run.

So much for your argument.

TheTruth
07-06-2005, 12:48 PM
My argument is that a younger, more inexperienced player (like Devin) can fill the role coming off the end of the bench just as well as Kukoc or Big Dog. Devin WOULD have filled that role this year, and Big Dog would still be that dude who refused to play for the sixers, if there was no injury.

We don't need to sign the 40 yr old Kukoc to sit on the end of the bench. No need for him AT ALL!! Devin will do it at a fraction of the age.

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2005, 12:54 PM
Actually, he's 37, the same age as Ferry and Kerr if I am not mistaken when they came through off the bench in the postseason in 2003.

The Spurs already have a young 3 prospect in Sanikidze in Europe and they can let LJ3 or a summerleague pickup sit on IR next season.

Win. Now.

TheTruth
07-06-2005, 12:55 PM
They will Win. Now. Without Kukoc.

(Though you did get me on the Big Dog argument, and I do hope he comes back)

spursfaninla
07-06-2005, 01:04 PM
Devin does NOT bring the "long 3" that Kukoc does. Devin is faster, a better scorer, and more versitile, but not nearly as tall.

But I am wondering something. The big stumbling block to SAR's happiness with the Spurs, according to the wunderkind minds here, would be his lack of minutes in the already STACKED spurs front line. Even trading Rasho, he gets maybe 20 -25 minutes, is not starting, and is possibly forced to play some sf minutes/out of position.

SAR is 6'9, ONE INCH shorter than Nazr. He makes .65 less blocks per game. He rebounds about the same. What is the big deal with having him start with Tim? I don't think we lose anything defensively, and whatever we did we would easily make up with offense. He is a great low post player, as well as being able to shoot mid-range. He even has a decent long ball. With this guy we have THE BEST scoring dual pf combo in the league, why not use them together?

The day of the plodding center is over, why not move into the next century? Its not like we are putting a pf in the center spot and a sf in the pf spot (suns)...

Let SAR be listed as our Center if Tim wants the historical importance of being the Best Power Forward Ever, since he clearly will never be the best center with Wilt, Russell and Kareem being super-legends, much less Shaq.

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2005, 01:11 PM
Given that Nazr averaged less than 30 min as a starter and Horry's reg season minutes will be limited, I think there are serious minutes for a 4th big.

TheTruth
07-06-2005, 01:16 PM
would you rather have donyell marshall or SAR?

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2005, 01:28 PM
Marshall would come closer to being a guy you can switch between the 3 and 4 than SAR and he's a much more prolific and accurate 3 point shooter. So I'd take him. But I'm not going to complain if the Spurs add SAR and the most they give up is Radoslav.