PDA

View Full Version : Pop quiz: What is it worth to you?

RandomGuy
03-12-2013, 05:23 PM
Aliens come down to the earth.

They have developed a revolutionary new technology.

If we chose to adopt it, it will create whole new industries, and give lots of people jobs.

It will also make everybody's lives easier in some big way.

The cost of it is that it leaks small amounts of harmful chemicals, and the materials that we would have to use to make it cause some substantial environmental damage to produce.

Oh yeah, one more thing, every country that uses this proprietary alien technology has to have a random lottery to pick people to send to the aliens, who find us very tasty. They promise the deaths will be mostly quick, although some will be sent into gladiator combat to die slow painful deaths, or occasionally be returned to us if they get crippled in the fights.

From the US, the number of people we would have to sacrifice every year is about 35,000. Men, women, children, infants. Everybody MUST be subject to the lottery.

Would you take the technology from them?

DarrinS
03-12-2013, 05:29 PM
So your poll is already closed?

RandomGuy
03-12-2013, 05:57 PM
So your poll is already closed?

No, it isn't.

I gave it 365 days to stay open.

Unless it is closed on your screen.

Slutter McGee
03-12-2013, 06:09 PM
No, only because of the children and infants and the fact that everyone is subject to the lotto. I say make it a contractual obligation to agree to the lottery for any job related to the alien technology or the government. Then sure. But since children and infants can not enter into contractual obligations then I must say no.

Slutter McGee

spursncowboys
03-12-2013, 06:14 PM
The tribe leaders in Africa did this, to an extent. We'll make a deal with the Israel spies and when they steal the technology we'll get it from them.

Latarian Milton
03-12-2013, 07:11 PM
35,000 ain't nothing compared to the world's population and the growth rate of population. the world loses more than just 35,000 lives everyday due to wars/diseases or shits. aliens' technology will save more lives and make life more comfortable and leisurable for us so i don't see no reason why we should turn it down, it sounds a shrewd deal for us tbh

spursncowboys
03-12-2013, 07:14 PM
JByAVZSJ2cM

TeyshaBlue
03-12-2013, 07:48 PM
*Metaphor Alert*

Nbadan
03-13-2013, 12:11 AM
this has been done, it's called the Hunger Games...

CosmicCowboy
03-13-2013, 07:25 AM
Trick question

More than likely everyone has already voted for this "technology"

RandomGuy
03-13-2013, 08:01 AM
Trick question

More than likely everyone has already voted for this "technology"

We have a winner.

Each year, between 30,000 and 40,000 Americans die in car wrecks. Men, women, children, infants.

Unless you completely avoid roads and never drive, you are subject to this lottery.

That is how many people we sacrifice each year for the convenience of cars, and the jobs they bring with them. The only thing I did was change the wording a little bit.

RandomGuy
03-13-2013, 08:05 AM
JByAVZSJ2cM

I assume you voted no, then?

RandomGuy
03-13-2013, 08:05 AM
*Metaphor Alert*

Also a winner.

LnGrrrR
03-13-2013, 08:06 AM
While it may merely be a difference in wording when it comes to the numbers and kinds of people that die, I think there is a slight difference between "offering" up people to the aliens and automotive deaths. Also, the "receiving technology" is different than making it on our own. The main difference is that we have the choice to get into the car or not. (Sure, it's not REALLY a choice since transportation is a near-necessity, but technically it is one.) Also, we have control over how we drive, which creates an illusion of total control, whereas the lottery does the exact opposite (no control).

If you worded the question in just a slightly different way (say, instead of aliens, a US inventor comes up with the new tech), I am guessing the answers would differ more than slightly. (Plus that would exclude the whole, "How To Serve People" aspect of the story. :D)

Agloco
03-13-2013, 10:59 PM
*Metaphor Alert*

Indeed. RG is quite good at this.

If the stipulation as that anyone 55 and older were subject to being taken, then its on. Starting with TB. :lol

Spurminator
03-13-2013, 11:04 PM
Eh, it's a stretch... The metaphor assumes everyone has an equal chance to be chosen for the lottery. Not all drivers are equally likely to be killed in wrecks.

TeyshaBlue
03-14-2013, 07:53 AM
Indeed. RG is quite good at this.

If the stipulation as that anyone 55 and older were subject to being taken, then its on. Starting with TB. :lol

http://www.audioandanarchy.com/images/smilies/really1.png

LnGrrrR
03-14-2013, 03:13 PM
http://www.audioandanarchy.com/images/smilies/really1.png

:lol I love that smiley.