PDA

View Full Version : Stop the Bipolarism

Blue-Lightning
03-13-2013, 08:12 AM
Hiya SpursTalk... longtime reader, fewtimes poster here:

I don't know if it it's the relatively young age of many of the posters here or if it's something different, but can we tamper the bipolarism that is prevalent here? I love reading about the Spurs, greatly enjoy seeing Timvp's opinions, but so much of the contributions here are muddled by knee-jerk reactions. I live in Tennessee, and follow the Spurs because they're simply the greatest basketball engine in the world, David Stern and sports media sensationalism be damned. I love basketball, and as long as the Spurs have this system, I'll love watching them. Popovich is an odd coach, making some bizarre rotations, but his playcalling is impeccable; Duncan, Ginobili, and Parker are all going to the Hall of Fame, and that is something to be cherished - you're almost definitely watching three Hall of Famers on the court when the big three play. Savor it.

But seriously, enough with the black or white responses to every game and every player. The Spurs beat the Thunder without Parker; it's a great sign, but it isn't cloud nine. The Spurs were beaten by the Timberwolves and the Blazers; sucks, but it's not the end of the world. Manu is going through some kind of funk - he moves well physically, can get to the rim, has good elevation, but his decision-making is up and down... okay. He's not at the end of his career, he's just mentally off right now, and he's been through it before (he's missing free throws, it's clearly mental). Tim has good nights and he has slow nights. He's 37 years old, it happens. Our bench looks great sometimes and looks terrible at others - they're on the bench for a reason.

In the end, you're watching a team that has been a top four team in the NBA for the past decade and more. You're watching a team that was pronounced "old" when they won the championship in 2007 and yet the same three guys in the core are going for another ring in 2013. Even Timvp has repeatedly said this year or that year, it's the last chance. It wasn't. It's great to pull for your team, it's great to debate, and it's great to have internet arguments - they're fun. But before you post as if you know more than Greg Popovich about some of the players, consider how well he has cultivated Ginobili, Parker, Leonard, Splitter, and so many others. Think about the fact he sees, talks with, and studies these players in ways that we can't because he sees the practices we're not involved in. Consider that he created a system in San Antonio that basically doesn't exist in any other NBA team - year in and year out there's a culture that says, "the system rules, the coach rules, and the top players respect it." Consider before you proclaim Ginobili to be "Turnobili" that he brought a completely new move into the NBA, probably should have a Finals MVP, and has consistently pulled this team through times when the other two were hurt... consider that he lives and breathes basketball; he knows the problems and is most likely very keen to fix them. Before you say Duncan should retire, or Parker is selfish, or Tiago is soft, or Danny Green chokes, or Matt Bonner shouldn't be on the floor... er... stirke the last one... before you say those, consider that we're the ones watching them. We can't do what they do, and while it's awesome to critique, maybe we should also admire a bit.

This is not a condescending post to tell you what to do or what not to do. This is a reminder that you've had years to watch a legendary team. This is a reminder that even though there will be bad games, bad nights, and we'll go crazy about it... sometimes you should just sit back and smile because we can watch the big three have a bad game, and that we'll probably be able to watch them have bad games next season. And why? Because there's never been a season that this big three had more bad games than good games, and there probably won't be. There's this guy who will most likely be a top three player of all time in the NBA... Lebron James or something... he's at the peak of his abilities right now... and analysts regularly say our team is the only one who could beat them in seven games. Not bad for a bunch of guys who should just retire =)

As for me, I can't wait to see the next game with these guys because one day there won't be a next one. The Spurs will be like a great Ray Charles song... you can play it again, but you can't look forward to experiencing it a new way. I choose Ray Charles for the analogy because it would be so hard for someone to duplicate his music; and it will be extremely difficult for anyone to ever duplicate the uniquness of these Spurs. And really, without a bad game or two, crazy rotations, etc, what would we have to talk about until the postseason?

Enjoy!

apalisoc_9
03-13-2013, 08:25 AM
:wow

Mouth is Bleeding
03-13-2013, 08:26 AM
Nice post OP

Fabbs
03-13-2013, 08:39 AM
I think we all need to lower the bar in our expectation level.
Pop has lead the playoff Spurs to a .500 record since 2008.
That means we've been able to see as many wins as losses.
It also means we've won 50% of our games.
Matt Bonner may not be a good NBA player, but he is 6'9".
How many of you are 6'9"?

Blue-Lightning
03-13-2013, 08:47 AM
Fabbs, you mean you've been in the playoffs every year since 2008? And if you're 50% in the playoffs, you basically have to average winning the first series since being knocked out the of the playoffs means four losses (thus you gotta have four wins to hit 50%). So you've averaged at least making it to the second round in the playoffs every year for the past five years. I guess that sucks in some alternate universe where almost everybody wins a championship every year.

Logic FTW.

jag
03-13-2013, 09:05 AM
Our pets heads ARE FALLING OFF!!

Dex
03-13-2013, 09:11 AM
Our pets heads ARE FALLING OFF!!

:lol

Blue-Lightning
03-13-2013, 09:15 AM
Pills are good, pills are good...

Spur|n|Austin
03-13-2013, 09:33 AM
Good post dude!

ohmwrecker
03-13-2013, 09:44 AM
tl;dr

BlackSilver
03-13-2013, 10:16 AM
Amen brother.

Fabbs
03-13-2013, 10:45 AM
Fabbs, you mean you've been in the playoffs every year since 2008? And if you're 50% in the playoffs, you basically have to average winning the first series since being knocked out the of the playoffs means four losses (thus you gotta have four wins to hit 50%). So you've averaged at least making it to the second round in the playoffs every year for the past five years. I guess that sucks in some alternate universe where almost everybody wins a championship every year.

Logic FTW.
In this universe they were knocked out in the 1st round in 2009 and 2011. 2011 as a #1 seed.
Averages.

dylankerouac
03-13-2013, 10:46 AM
OP gets 10/10

KL2
03-13-2013, 10:47 AM
Fuck you.

KL2
03-13-2013, 10:47 AM
Good post.

Dex
03-13-2013, 11:04 AM
Good post, B-L.

Watching your team lose is frustrating. All you have to do is watch SpursTalk meltdown to know that. It doesn't seem to matter if it's a close game, a sound beating, or a blowout; the haters are always going to have a field day with it. I hate it too, but personally, I try not to let myself get too down over losses because in the big picture, watching basketball is just a recreation. Why should I let something that I intend to enjoy bring me down (at least, until the playoffs roll around)? But it still sucks to watch your team lose, and can throw your mood into a funk.

Now consider this: Spurs fans have had to put up with less of those nights, less of those meltdowns, and less of this frustration than any other fan of any other team in the four major American sports throughout the Duncan era. We've also gotten to celebrate four championships along the way; the only team that has celebrated more titles is the Lakers, but they've also had to put up with a couple seasons of mediocrity (including their current fiasco) and a whole lot more losing nights.

Count your blessings, Spurs fans. No team is ever going to go 82-0, and no team is ever guaranteed the championship. But the Spurs have been in the thick of it for a decade and a half, and that is a historic run that we are all fortunate to be a part of as fans.

suitedkings
03-13-2013, 11:11 AM
Ain't nobody got time to read that.

Whisky Dog
03-13-2013, 11:12 AM
Spurstalk isn't Spurstalk without the crazy bipolar insane takes tbh

Spur|n|Austin
03-13-2013, 11:16 AM
Good post, B-L.

Watching your team lose is frustrating. All you have to do is watch SpursTalk meltdown to know that. It doesn't seem to matter if it's a close game, a sound beating, or a blowout; the haters are always going to have a field day with it. I hate it too, but personally, I try not to let myself get too down over losses because in the big picture, watching basketball is just a recreation. Why should I let something that I intend to enjoy bring me down (at least, until the playoffs roll around)? But it still sucks to watch your team lose, and can throw your mood into a funk.

Now consider this: Spurs fans have had to put up with less of those nights, less of those meltdowns, and less of this frustration than any other fan of any other team in the four major American sports throughout the Duncan era. We've also gotten to celebrate four championships along the way; the only team that has celebrated more titles is the Lakers, but they've also had to put up with a couple seasons of mediocrity (including their current fiasco) and a whole lot more losing nights.

Count your blessings, Spurs fans. No team is ever going to go 82-0, and no team is ever guaranteed the championship. But the Spurs have been in the thick of it for a decade and a half, and that is a historic run that we are all fortunate to be a part of as fans.

:tu all around!

Arc
03-13-2013, 11:20 AM
Hiya SpursTalk... longtime reader, fewtimes poster here:

I don't know if it it's the relatively young age of many of the posters here or if it's something different, but can we tamper the bipolarism that is prevalent here? I love reading about the Spurs, greatly enjoy seeing Timvp's opinions, but so much of the contributions here are muddled by knee-jerk reactions. I live in Tennessee, and follow the Spurs because they're simply the greatest basketball engine in the world, David Stern and sports media sensationalism be damned. I love basketball, and as long as the Spurs have this system, I'll love watching them. Popovich is an odd coach, making some bizarre rotations, but his playcalling is impeccable; Duncan, Ginobili, and Parker are all going to the Hall of Fame, and that is something to be cherished - you're almost definitely watching three Hall of Famers on the court when the big three play. Savor it.

But seriously, enough with the black or white responses to every game and every player. The Spurs beat the Thunder without Parker; it's a great sign, but it isn't cloud nine. The Spurs were beaten by the Timberwolves and the Blazers; sucks, but it's not the end of the world. Manu is going through some kind of funk - he moves well physically, can get to the rim, has good elevation, but his decision-making is up and down... okay. He's not at the end of his career, he's just mentally off right now, and he's been through it before (he's missing free throws, it's clearly mental). Tim has good nights and he has slow nights. He's 37 years old, it happens. Our bench looks great sometimes and looks terrible at others - they're on the bench for a reason.

In the end, you're watching a team that has been a top four team in the NBA for the past decade and more. You're watching a team that was pronounced "old" when they won the championship in 2007 and yet the same three guys in the core are going for another ring in 2013. Even Timvp has repeatedly said this year or that year, it's the last chance. It wasn't. It's great to pull for your team, it's great to debate, and it's great to have internet arguments - they're fun. But before you post as if you know more than Greg Popovich about some of the players, consider how well he has cultivated Ginobili, Parker, Leonard, Splitter, and so many others. Think about the fact he sees, talks with, and studies these players in ways that we can't because he sees the practices we're not involved in. Consider that he created a system in San Antonio that basically doesn't exist in any other NBA team - year in and year out there's a culture that says, "the system rules, the coach rules, and the top players respect it." Consider before you proclaim Ginobili to be "Turnobili" that he brought a completely new move into the NBA, probably should have a Finals MVP, and has consistently pulled this team through times when the other two were hurt... consider that he lives and breathes basketball; he knows the problems and is most likely very keen to fix them. Before you say Duncan should retire, or Parker is selfish, or Tiago is soft, or Danny Green chokes, or Matt Bonner shouldn't be on the floor... er... stirke the last one... before you say those, consider that we're the ones watching them. We can't do what they do, and while it's awesome to critique, maybe we should also admire a bit.

This is not a condescending post to tell you what to do or what not to do. This is a reminder that you've had years to watch a legendary team. This is a reminder that even though there will be bad games, bad nights, and we'll go crazy about it... sometimes you should just sit back and smile because we can watch the big three have a bad game, and that we'll probably be able to watch them have bad games next season. And why? Because there's never been a season that this big three had more bad games than good games, and there probably won't be. There's this guy who will most likely be a top three player of all time in the NBA... Lebron James or something... he's at the peak of his abilities right now... and analysts regularly say our team is the only one who could beat them in seven games. Not bad for a bunch of guys who should just retire =)

As for me, I can't wait to see the next game with these guys because one day there won't be a next one. The Spurs will be like a great Ray Charles song... you can play it again, but you can't look forward to experiencing it a new way. I choose Ray Charles for the analogy because it would be so hard for someone to duplicate his music; and it will be extremely difficult for anyone to ever duplicate the uniquness of these Spurs. And really, without a bad game or two, crazy rotations, etc, what would we have to talk about until the postseason?

Enjoy!

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/31056298.jpg

Blue-Lightning
03-13-2013, 11:33 AM
In this universe they were knocked out in the 1st round in 2009 and 2011. 2011 as a #1 seed.
Averages.

Yes, two of the past five years they didn't go as far in the playoffs as expected. One time against the best 8th seed in recent history with Ginobili's arm broken. Let's all go goth.

biskvito
03-13-2013, 11:40 AM
When there's a loss pessimists fans show up, optimists fans fade out, but they're different individuals...

I think this Spurs gives reason for both type of fans... the optimists have a great regular season to base their hopes, the pessimists have the previous seasons to be uncertain if this success will translate to playoffs... so I think both sides have good reasons

benefactor
03-13-2013, 11:51 AM
Fuck you.

Good post.

RD2191
03-13-2013, 11:54 AM
this is madness

Fabbs
03-13-2013, 11:54 AM
Yes, two of the past five years they didn't go as far in the playoffs as expected.
:rollin try 5 for 5.

One time against the best 8th seed in recent history with Ginobili's arm broken. Let's all go goth.
And they were 8, no 10 feet tall. Their whole team was Jordan Wilt Bird Russel combined. Manus leg, no legs were also broken.

spursncowboys
03-13-2013, 12:02 PM
Ain't nobody got time to read that.
I thought he was cooking bar-b-que

spursncowboys
03-13-2013, 12:02 PM
When there's a loss pessimists fans show up, optimists fans fade out, but they're different individuals...

I think this Spurs gives reason for both type of fans... the optimists have a great regular season to base their hopes, the pessimists have the previous seasons to be uncertain if this success will translate to playoffs... so I think both sides have good reasons
touche

benefactor
03-13-2013, 12:14 PM
this is madness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8r3cWM4JII

Blue-Lightning
03-13-2013, 12:18 PM
try 5 for 5.

If you expected the Spurs to make it past the second round of the playoffs every year, then we just wouldn't get along. Some of us came to an age where we realized that some things are extremely difficult, some degree of luck is involved, and we don't always get our way. Then there are others who just keep shitting their pants.

And they were 8, no 10 feet tall. Their whole team was Jordan Wilt Bird Russel combined. Manus leg, no legs were also broken.

How about, they were a legitimately good NBA team in the playoffs and Manu had a freshly broken arm? Go find a real location to troll.

Obstructed_View
03-13-2013, 12:20 PM
tl:dr

I love finger-wagging fans who accuse the entire fanbase of making scattered statements by applying hundreds of differing opinions to a single entity.

ParadoxEN
03-13-2013, 12:44 PM
I completely agree. We, as Spurs fans, are extremely fortunate.

Budkin
03-13-2013, 12:44 PM
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/202/683/tumblr_lov50gHUoL1qmga68o1_250.gif

RD2191
03-13-2013, 12:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8r3cWM4JII

Chomag
03-13-2013, 01:40 PM
Another thread of bitching about bitching?

Hoops Czar
03-13-2013, 02:20 PM
But seriously, enough with the black or white responses to every game and every player. The Spurs beat the Thunder without Parker; it's a great sign, but it isn't cloud nine.

The Thunder were playing for the 4th time in 5 days; 7 games in 11 days spanning three time zones overall. They were probably a wee bit fatigued when they played the Spurs and it definitely showed in the 4th quarter. If that had been the Spurs, a whole bunch of F U Stern and the NBA hates the Spurs threads would have flooded the front page. Since it was somebody other than the Spurs, everybody pretends like it didn't happen. Good thing and all because the Spurs really needed the win but the Spurs gained nothing from that game.

Sean Cagney
03-13-2013, 02:33 PM
I think we all need to lower the bar in our expectation level.
Pop has lead the playoff Spurs to a .500 record since 2008.
That means we've been able to see as many wins as losses.
It also means we've won 50% of our games.
Matt Bonner may not be a good NBA player, but he is 6'9".
How many of you are 6'9"?This is the TRUTH........ BTW F BONNER, I will just say taht part there for the hell of it.

Spurs are a great team and have been for a long time, but those thinking they will just stroll to another title are wrong! If they get one they got very hot at the right time and caugh a break or two along the way, thats my way of thinking now.
The Thunder were playing for the 4th time in 5 days; 7 games in 11 days spanning three time zones overall. They were probably a wee bit fatigued when they played the Spurs and it definitely showed in the 4th quarter. If that had been the Spurs, a whole bunch of F U Stern and the NBA hates the Spurs threads would have flooded the front page. Since it was somebody other than the Spurs, everybody pretends like it didn't happen. Good thing and all because the Spurs really needed the win but the Spurs gained nothing from that game.True, but the Spurs were missing their best player as well so that counts some as well.

BatManu20
03-13-2013, 02:50 PM
:tu

Hoops Czar
03-13-2013, 02:54 PM
True, but the Spurs were missing their best player as well so that counts some as well.

Right, but therein lies the problem. Like I've said countless times. this year's team is way too reliant on Tony Parker. If a good defensive team takes him out of the equation in the playoffs, the Spurs will be hard pressed to win that series. Other guys have to step up and help shoulder the load.

playbonner15
03-14-2013, 05:41 AM
Fuck you.

Good post.

You win :rollin

mudyez
03-14-2013, 05:47 AM
my "ingore all but timvp"-setup just changed to "ignore all but timvp and that Blue-Lightning sucka".