PDA

View Full Version : Spurs vs Lakers: Skip Bayless -"If Gasol comes back quicker then we think..Look out!"

Boomersgold
03-13-2013, 12:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF0IIhO8z7Y

Should say "quicker than we think". How do I change the title of the thread?

Boomersgold
03-13-2013, 12:33 PM
If we were to meet the Lakers in the first round of the playoffs, how well does our team match up against theirs if both teams are fully healthy?

xtremesteven33
03-13-2013, 12:35 PM
The only reason I would fear the Lakers, is the organizations "corporate knowledge" of the Spurs.

Johnny RIngo
03-13-2013, 12:40 PM
Gasol's been terrible all season and he has plantar problem(something that won't heal over the course of a season). There's no reason for a healthy Spurs team to be worried about this year's Lakers.

Richie
03-13-2013, 12:53 PM
Gasol has been a horrible defender on the pick and roll this year. There is nothing the Lakers can do to stop Tony Parker getting in to the lane with Nash defending him. Throw in Leonard defending Kobe, there is no way the Lakers win a series against the Spurs

Richie
03-13-2013, 12:54 PM
This guest is such a ridiculous homer. What a joker.

phxspurfan
03-13-2013, 01:07 PM
We won't be the first seed.

DejuanorwhatDude
03-13-2013, 01:12 PM

Arcadian
03-13-2013, 01:18 PM
Parker vs Nash - Spurs
Green vs Bryant - Lakers
Leonard vs Artest - Spurs
Splitter vs Gasol - Even
Duncan vs Howard - Even
Bench - Spurs
Coach - Spurs
Home Court - Spurs

Spurs in 5

mathbzh
03-13-2013, 01:24 PM

Lakers may not be the 8th

freetiago
03-13-2013, 01:31 PM
If the season was played on paper then the Lakers are by far the best team in the nba
they always seem to play the Spurs tough though and have some miracle games
last season after "30" happened they got their head out of their asses and played them the way they should though
this season its been a little to close and was the one game everyone called a moral loss

spurraider21
03-13-2013, 01:33 PM
Schematically the Lakers have no chance. Lakers are terrible at rotating, playing off-ball defense, and that's where our offense will pick them apart. Is Nash really gna try and guard tony? Kobe will be forced to switch onto tony. I'd love to see Kobe fight through the myriad of screens TP gets. Plus in that matchup once Manu checks in for green, who guards Manu. Nash/Blake?

TrainOfThought5
03-13-2013, 01:42 PM

whats higher than first?

Spur|n|Austin
03-13-2013, 01:49 PM
whats higher than first?

What's lower than first?

Sean Cagney
03-13-2013, 01:52 PM
This guest is such a ridiculous homer. What a joker.

What did we expect on that show? Honestly some clown is always going to love the media darling team, bunch of puppets.

Sean Cagney
03-13-2013, 01:53 PM

With our games coming up I liked at and with Parker out I agree fully.

jimbo
03-13-2013, 02:01 PM
I don't know why y'all are relying on Parker to step up in the playoffs. The lakers can probably completely give up the mid range shot to him and beat him that way.

bklynspursfan
03-13-2013, 02:02 PM
Danny Green ‏@DGreen_14 (https://twitter.com/DGreen_14)
Aint no1 scared of dem lol knock it off RT @iAmChrisNeal (https://twitter.com/iAmChrisNeal): Spurs trying to avoid us in them playoffs they already know what it is#Lakeshow (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Lakeshow&src=hash)

RD2191
03-13-2013, 02:09 PM
is that fagget chris neal serious? looks like a guy that I would beat to a pulp, so much faggetry on his twitter

cd98
03-13-2013, 02:38 PM
Everyone in the west should fear everyone. West is stacked. Every team is vulnerable to lose, except maybe Utah and Golden State if they make it. And both can still give anyone a tough series.

Spurs have been there too many times to be afraid of anyone. Us fans will be nervous, but not the Spurs.

Sean Cagney
03-13-2013, 02:42 PM
Danny Green ‏@DGreen_14 (https://twitter.com/DGreen_14)
Aint no1 scared of dem lol knock it off RT @iAmChrisNeal (https://twitter.com/iAmChrisNeal): Spurs trying to avoid us in them playoffs they already know what it is#Lakeshow (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Lakeshow&src=hash)

Typical stupid LA fan, which is why I can't stand them at all. They get up to the 8th seed and beat some horrible teams barely to do so, now they are feared and nobody wants to face them. They play good teams they usually lose this year, period.

Richie
03-13-2013, 02:46 PM
I don't know why y'all are relying on Parker to step up in the playoffs. The lakers can probably completely give up the mid range shot to him and beat him that way.

Do you even watch basketball? Parker is shooting 48% from mid range this year, which is 5% higher than Durant!!

hater
03-13-2013, 03:00 PM
round 1 would be a 6-7 game series imo. Spurs still the slight favorites.

it would be unfortunate to meet them in round 1 not because we might lose, which we most likely won't. But because we'll start the playoffs with a long brutal series.

Richie
03-13-2013, 03:20 PM
round 1 would be a 6-7 game series imo. Spurs still the slight favorites.

it would be unfortunate to meet them in round 1 not because we might lose, which we most likely won't. But because we'll start the playoffs with a long brutal series.

It may be a tough series, but I don't think it would be long. Spurs in 5, but they would be 5 close games IMO.

bklynspursfan
03-13-2013, 03:26 PM
Typical stupid LA fan, which is why I can't stand them at all. They get up to the 8th seed and beat some horrible teams barely to do so, now they are feared and nobody wants to face them. They play good teams they usually lose this year, period.

Pretty much. Not to mention any semi-quality win has come at home. They still aren't beating the good teams on the road, and I could totally see them dropping the next 2 in Atlanta then in Indy.

LakaFan
03-13-2013, 03:31 PM
Parker vs Nash - Spurs
Green vs Bryant - Lakers
Leonard vs Artest - Spurs
Splitter vs Gasol - Even
Duncan vs Howard - Even
Bench - Spurs
Coach - Spurs
Home Court - Spurs

Spurs in 5

In what world is Splitter equal to Gasol? Hell even Duncan at this stage is nothing compared to Dwight. Stop that foolishness.

spurraider21
03-13-2013, 03:38 PM
In what world is Splitter equal to Gasol? Hell even Duncan at this stage is nothing compared to Dwight. Stop that foolishness.

Duncan this season, at least prior to his injury was pretty much the best big in the league, taking both ends into consideration. Granted, Dwight has been coming along strong and Tim isn't playing quite as well offensively lately, its not crazy farfetched to say in a playoff type scenario that they'd match each other. If Duncan was able to match Bynum last year (not the first meeting of course, when Bynum went off), he can do the same to Dwight who isn't 100%.

As for Splitter and Gasol, its not that tough to see at this point. Have you seen Pau this year? His defense has been laughable. Don't forget THAT end of the floor. While Pau is still a skilled post man, remember that D'Antoni likes to stick him 20 feet from the basket or behind the 3 point line.

slick'81
03-13-2013, 03:39 PM
if the lakers get 8th and are healthy its probably the worst matchup spurs could hope for in rnd1

look_at_g_shred
03-13-2013, 03:51 PM
Call me crazy but I think a tough first series (rockets, GSW) might be good for us in the long run rather than coasting through the first two like last year. It would force us to play our game every night instead of "oh we got this" the whole round.

sananspursfan21
03-13-2013, 03:59 PM
Call me crazy but I think a tough first series (rockets, GSW) might be good for us in the long run rather than coasting through the first two like last year. It would force us to play our game every night instead of "oh we got this" the whole round.

I see your point but it's kind of a fine line when your core is the spurs' age. It would keep them in rhythm but they don't want to get exhausted first round either. I think the spurs would win the series 4-1 with 2 or 3 single digit wins, just enough to keep them warmed up, but not too much to wear them out

Mal
03-13-2013, 04:09 PM
DAntoni wont figure it out, how to use Gasol and Howard together. Dont fool yourself.

A this Cheasenut dude :lmao He mentioned Steve Blake :lmao

HarlemHeat37
03-13-2013, 04:43 PM
I'm not watching that video, but the current Lakers match up pretty poorly with the Spurs, tbh..

I've been defending the Lakers all year and predicted they would end up 6th or 7th after most counted them out, but if you look at their current win streak, they have only had 1 or 2 quality wins IIRC..

I'd rather play Golden State or Houston, since they don't have Kobe/Howard and they won't have LA's officiating advantage, but the Spurs should easily defeat all 3 in a series..

spurraider21
03-13-2013, 04:57 PM
Are the Lakers tougher than Houston/Golden State/Utah? Sure. Are they a serious threat to knock us off? Don't kid yourselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEoxglQVqKE

Captivus
03-13-2013, 05:44 PM
7:09 "I don't want to be in OKC City if I can help it"

td4mvp21
03-13-2013, 05:45 PM
I'm not watching that video, but the current Lakers match up pretty poorly with the Spurs, tbh..

I agree with this. The reasons they were a bad matchup for the Spurs in recent years were 1) frontcourt advantage and 2) Phil Jackson. The Spurs have negated 1) with Splitter starting and playing a bigger role. Plus their playoff rotation looks like it'll be Howard, hobbled Gasol, and Jamison; I'm also not impressed at all with Howard's post moves. And D'Antoni is such a huge downgrade compared to Phil Jackson, especially against Pop. Pop has picked D'Antoni apart for years.

TheGoldStandard
03-13-2013, 05:54 PM
D'Antoni doesn't know how to get his team ready for a playoff series, his system is all wrong for the playoffs and the group of vets he has are all wrong. The Lakers have been successful rebounding and pushing the ball, when the game slows down and we go to half court offense they're going to stumble. Lakers have a better chance with Memphis or The Clip but if it's OKC or Spurs, then 5 games.

Capt Bringdown
03-13-2013, 07:09 PM
Less concerned about a specific matchup. Can the Spurs play high-level D consistently and can they take a punch and make the necessary adjustments? If the answer is no, then it doesn't matter who we're playing; there's a good chance we're not gonna get out of the series.

Embedded
03-13-2013, 07:12 PM
I'd love to match up against the Lakers. If we can win it all, we can beat them.

Darius Bieber
03-13-2013, 07:34 PM
I seriously do not understand how a roster filled with so many All-Stars and future Hall of Famers are hovering around .500......

TheGoldStandard
03-13-2013, 09:00 PM
I seriously do not understand how a roster filled with so many All-Stars and future Hall of Famers are hovering around .500......

They're old and the All-Stars play together on the starting lineup so not everyone can score the ball when its someone else's hands. They have no depth on the bench and as Stephen A pointed out there streak has come against sub par teams who are at or below .500 which isn't much of a task to win this time of year.

hater
03-13-2013, 09:03 PM

"so many allstars"???

besides Kobe and dwight who's an allstar there?

Darius Bieber
03-13-2013, 09:11 PM
"so many allstars"???

besides Kobe and dwight who's an allstar there?

One could argue that Nash and Gasol would be up there. I meant past All-Stars as well.

Boomersgold
03-13-2013, 09:16 PM
One could argue that Nash and Gasol would be up there. I meant past All-Stars as well.

Past All-Stars: Nash, Gasol , Ron Artest and Antawn Jamison.

Johnsyounger
03-13-2013, 09:19 PM
The Lakers recent success has come against a bunch of srcuby teams. The Hawks just beat em in Atl, LA is a dream match up for the Spurs. Spurs in 4-5 and its not close. Lakers biggest problem is no D. With 2 7 footers :lmao How is that even possible?

Josepatches_
03-13-2013, 09:24 PM
This season Howard was an All-Star because of fans but Pau would still being an All-Star out of LA. He was by far the best big man in the Olympics last summer and he's not worse than David Lee for example. It's not easy to play along Kobe and 20 feet from the basket

BillMc
03-13-2013, 09:29 PM
The first guy on the video is the most annoying. Not only does he think the Lakers would likely beat the Spurs, but it seems to be a foregone conclusion. He doesn't even start thinking about a threat to them until the second round. Yeah, our teams has its flaws (as does every team) but we'll win or be close to 60 games this season. How you can't "worry" about that when the team you're picking is .500 is beyond me. Where does ESPN find these guys?

KaiRMD1
03-13-2013, 09:53 PM
The first guy on the video is the most annoying. Not only does he think the Lakers would likely beat the Spurs, but it seems to be a foregone conclusion. He doesn't even start thinking about a threat to them until the second round. Yeah, our teams has its flaws (as does every team) but we'll win or be close to 60 games this season. How you can't "worry" about that when the team you're picking is .500 is beyond me. Where does ESPN find these guys?

One of the reasons I can't stand ESPN because it's like they hire a bunch of guys who watch basketball and root for the popular teams and don't even back up why their team will win the ship with any sense aside from "they are the best." TNT and NBA TV tends to have the best coverage. Also, anywhere Jon Barry is usually has the worst and Brent Barry usually has the best.

Sean Cagney
03-13-2013, 09:58 PM
Pretty much. Not to mention any semi-quality win has come at home. They still aren't beating the good teams on the road, and I could totally see them dropping the next 2 in Atlanta then in Indy.
They are not a scary team, sorry I agree with you. The media tries to pump it up as if they are on some kind of roll when infact they had to come back from big to beat Toronto and the Hornets, then barely beat the Magic. I guess that win streak strikes fear in hearts lol. Real team aren't scared of this LA team. LA fan acting as if this is the older LA team who could steal a series and make a big run. Good LA teams though would NEVER be an 8th seed.
One of the reasons I can't stand ESPN because it's like they hire a bunch of guys who watch basketball and root for the popular teams .

This is why I don't watch the bullshit network, they root for media darlings. I mean seriously get your own mind and root for your own team you puppets. They are all same and very annoying.

Canibspur
03-13-2013, 10:03 PM
D'Antoni.

DieMrBond
03-13-2013, 10:08 PM
One of the reasons I can't stand ESPN because it's like they hire a bunch of guys who watch basketball and root for the popular teams and don't even back up why their team will win the ship with any sense aside from "they are the best." TNT and NBA TV tends to have the best coverage. Also, anywhere Jon Barry is usually has the worst and Brent Barry usually has the best.

Dudes an Actor, not an analyst. Boyz n the Hood, The Last Boy Scout, Higher Learning to name a few. (From Wikipedia, I'm not a stalker! Promise)

TheGoldStandard
03-13-2013, 10:13 PM
Well Bryant turned his ankle so he'll be out for a few weeks, looks like that 8th seed is going bye bye.

KaiRMD1
03-13-2013, 10:43 PM
Dudes an Actor, not an analyst. Boyz n the Hood, The Last Boy Scout, Higher Learning to name a few. (From Wikipedia, I'm not a stalker! Promise)

And for some reason, ESPN feels the need to get his opinion on basketball. lol Same with Wale too and they took his opinions seriously

TheGoldStandard
03-13-2013, 11:02 PM
And for some reason, ESPN feels the need to get his opinion on basketball. lol Same with Wale too and they took his opinions seriously

ESPN are front runners and they love the front runner interviews... if the Bucks got hot we'd see some yahoo talking about Ellis and JJ Reddick being unstoppable in the playoffs and matching up against the Heat.

Sean Cagney
03-13-2013, 11:53 PM

Yeah, like that idiot WALE they had on their last year, had no facts and said Spurs out in round one and ran his mouth. I can't stand when they invite some clowns on the show who are just media whores and don't know the game.

racm
03-14-2013, 12:05 AM
Yeah, I liked Brent's coverage of the Spurs-Thunder game.

John B
03-14-2013, 12:21 AM
We match-up better against teams with Bigs because of Splitter's development. I know Mr Baynes is a little wet in the ears but he's also a big body who does not shy from contacts. So Pau is coming back? Bring in the Lakers so we can send them home in the first round. That would be sweet.

Sean Cagney
03-14-2013, 01:47 AM

LOL I mention that clown too, Wale is a fucking idiot. I can't stand that clown. Yet he is on there a few times. He never says shit either.

spurraider21
03-14-2013, 04:38 AM
Skip Bayless typically is a Spurs supporter though

Supreme_Being
03-14-2013, 05:17 AM
dunno if this has been posted.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wlrGFjBR0hY#!