PDA

View Full Version : Spurs pick up new assistant?

Kori Ellis
07-06-2005, 10:57 AM
DEPARTURE: (George) Karl thought he had his staff intact for next season. Then he checked his messages Monday.

"He left me a voice mail," said Karl, disappointed to learn player development assistant Chip Engelland has left for a similar job with San Antonio. "I thought we had a good thing cooking. I'm sure he looks at it that they have a championship team and he makes more money. But those rationales to me are just lawyers and agents and not true happiness."

Assistants Doug Moe, Scott Brooks and Adrian Dantley are back, and John Welch joined the team Tuesday. Karl called Welch a "passionate" coach.

Karl said he is in no rush to replace Engelland. While no contracts have been signed, he expects Brooks and Dantley to sign two-year deals.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nuggets/article/0,1299,DRMN_20_3906499,00.html

SpursFanInAustin
07-06-2005, 10:59 AM
DEPARTURE: (George) Karl thought he had his staff intact for next season. Then he checked his messages Monday.

"He left me a voice mail," said Karl, disappointed to learn player development assistant Chip Engelland has left for a similar job with San Antonio. "I thought we had a good thing cooking. I'm sure he looks at it that they have a championship team and he makes more money. But those rationales to me are just lawyers and agents and not true happiness."

Assistants Doug Moe, Scott Brooks and Adrian Dantley are back, and John Welch joined the team Tuesday. Karl called Welch a "passionate" coach.

Karl said he is in no rush to replace Engelland. While no contracts have been signed, he expects Brooks and Dantley to sign two-year deals.

Karl already sounds bitter about losing to San Antonio again, this time one of his personnel. :lol

zeleni
07-06-2005, 10:59 AM
wow, that's just sick

AlamoSpursFan
07-06-2005, 11:00 AM
"I thought we had a good thing cooking. I'm sure he looks at it that they have a championship team and he makes more money. But those rationales to me are just lawyers and agents and not true happiness."

More money and the chance to win a championship. Yeah, those are WAY overrated, Karl...

:rolleyes

:lol

SpursFanInAustin
07-06-2005, 11:01 AM
Does this mean, that he's an assistant coach on the sidelines? or is he replacing Danny Ferry's vacated job opening?

Gummi
07-06-2005, 11:01 AM
Interesting. Maybe as a replacement for Ferry or what? Aren't all of our assistants returning? I like his resume. I found this on Nuggets.com in roster.

Chip Engelland is in his second season with the Nuggets as an assistant coach/player development after forging an impressive reputation as one of the top shooting coaches in the country.

Engelland’s prestigious list of success stories began with the NBA’s all-time leading three-point shooter, Steve Kerr. Known for improving players’ shooting skills, Engelland has been enlisted to help the jumpers of such superstars as Grant Hill and the WNBA’s Chamique Holdsclaw.

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2005, 11:03 AM
Interesting. Maybe as a replacement for Ferry or what? Aren't all of our assistants returning? I like his resume. I found this on Nuggets.com in roster.

Chip Engelland is in his second season with the Nuggets as an assistant coach/player development after forging an impressive reputation as one of the top shooting coaches in the country.

Engelland’s prestigious list of success stories began with the NBA’s all-time leading three-point shooter, Steve Kerr. Known for improving players’ shooting skills, Engelland has been enlisted to help the jumpers of such superstars as Grant Hill and the WNBA’s Chamique Holdsclaw.

Nice.

SWC Bonfire
I'm sure the free-throw coach crowd will be all over this one. My guess is that he'll be doing something in the front office- pure speculation on my part.

Walton Buys Off Me
I wonder if Karl will blame this on the refs?

What a fucking loser.

Let's see; work with a whining coach that has never won anything and a team that thinks Carmelo Anthony is a go-to-guy or come work for the best coach in all of sports on the best team in all of sports.......that's a tough one.

spurschick
:lol :lol :lol
Hey George Karl, SUCK IT!!

bigzak25
07-06-2005, 11:04 AM
more cash and championship hopes do not equate to true happiness for an assistant coach...:lmao

riiight, whatever helps you sleep at night.

Kori Ellis
07-06-2005, 11:05 AM
Interesting. Maybe as a replacement for Ferry or what? Aren't all of our assistants returning?

I'm find out right now if he was actually hired by the Spurs and in what capacity. His resume' sounds like he would take Brett Brown's job (for example) but I don't think Brett is leaving.

JUUOT
he will be Tony personal coach.

and together with bowen, Engelland will be in charge of coaching bowen replacement.
shooting three...

Walton Buys Off Me
This brings a huge smile to my face. I was waiting patiently for Pop to say something about the incessant whining this fat sack of crap got away with, but in the end, looks like CIA laughs last again!

Screw you Karl.

Kori Ellis
07-06-2005, 11:07 AM
Another good thing ..

The Lakers are interested in hiring Denver Nugget assistant coach Chip Engelland as a shooting coach.

^^ 2 weeks ago

picnroll
07-06-2005, 11:08 AM
Top shooting coach? I want Parker tighter on his ass than he is on Eva's.

"I thought we had a good thing cooking. I'm sure he looks at it that they have a championship team and he makes more money. But those rationales to me are just lawyers and agents and not true happiness."

Probably has nothing to do with the fact that Engelland has watched a parade of Spurs assistant coaches and front office people moving on to advance to higher positions with other teams.

pache100
07-06-2005, 11:08 AM
DEPARTURE: (George) "But those rationales to me are just lawyers and agents and not true happiness."

Maybe that's what Welch is looking at, Karl. Quit yer whinin'. The universe does not revolve around the Denver Nuggets and YOU.

pache100
07-06-2005, 11:10 AM
I wonder if Karl will blame this on the refs?

No, I doubt it. More likely Manu Ginobili. Or Bruce Bowen.

Kori Ellis
07-06-2005, 11:11 AM
http://www.dukeupdate.com/Records/single_season_3pt_field_goal_percent.htm

nkdlunch
07-06-2005, 11:15 AM
"He left me a voice mail," said Karl,

:lol that shows how much people that work under Karl respect him.

Kori Ellis
07-06-2005, 11:16 AM

He was the personal shooting coach of Kerr, Hill, Holdsclaw, Battier, and variety of others.

Solid D
07-06-2005, 11:19 AM
I don't know for sure but I would guess that Chip Engelland replaces Joe Prunty.
Player development doesn't equate to Front Office to me at all.

jcrod
07-06-2005, 11:23 AM
Cool, looks like they're getting help for Parker.

Kori Ellis
07-06-2005, 11:27 AM
I don't know for sure but I would guess that Chip Engelland replaces Joe Prunty.
Player development doesn't equate to Front Office to me at all.

I don't think he replaces Ferry either. But "shooting coach" doesn't sound like someone replacing Prunty. Prunty did mostly scouting.

Solid D
07-06-2005, 11:29 AM
Although Engelland seems to have different skillsets and experience than Joe Prunty, I certainly see how Pop and RC could reorganize certain Basketball Staff roles. Brett Brown is so good at PD, they may want to adapt his role a bit, yet keep him near the court.

Gino2882
07-06-2005, 11:32 AM
This sounds like very good news for Tony Parker.

Kori Ellis
07-06-2005, 11:33 AM
Although Engelland seems to have different skillsets and experience than Joe Prunty, I certainly see how Pop and RC could reorganize certain Basketball Staff roles. Brett Brown is so good at PD, they may want to adapt his role a bit, yet keep him near the court.

What I was trying to say about Prunty is that he spent the majority of year on the road scouting. I understood that the only month that he was really off the road was August. Engelland doesn't seem like that much of a scouting guy. But perhaps they are just going to redefine some roles and Engelland replace Prunty but have completely different job duties than he did.

picnroll
07-06-2005, 11:36 AM
Is Prunty going to have more of a bench role with Dasllas or remain in a scouting role?

I suspect Pop and Buford are flexible in filling coaching positions bringing guys in according to needs at the time. We all no Parker with a reliable outside shot would be a killer and so far wht athey've tried with Parker han't worked so they're bringing in a big gun.

Solid D
07-06-2005, 11:36 AM
I realize Prunty had a dual role, advance scout and assistant coach, but I thought Pop was starting to use Joe Prunty more in bench settings. He used Joe as a Summer League coach, a role not normally given to advance scouts.

Dex
07-06-2005, 11:37 AM
He was the personal shooting coach of Kerr, Hill, Holdsclaw, Battier, and variety of others.

Wow. Methinks this guy knows what he's talkin about. :king

Solid D
07-06-2005, 11:39 AM
Is Prunty going to have more of a bench role with Dasllas or remain in a scouting role?

http://www.dfw.com/mld/startelegram/sports/basketball/12004047.htm

Posted on Tue, Jun. 28, 2005
Prunty joins staff

Avery Johnson turned to a familiar face to fill one of the two open positions on his coaching staff. Joe Prunty agreed to come onboard Monday. Former assistants Charlie Parker and Larry Riley could be reassigned within the club.

Prunty was a member of San Antonio's staff for nine seasons -- Johnson played most of his career with the Spurs -- and becomes a full-time NBA assistant for the first time in his career. He worked as an assistant coach/advance scout the past three years in San Antonio.

Johnson doesn't have a timetable to fill the other opening. Among the candidates he has talked to are Paul Pressey, Don Chaney and Mark Aguirre.

Duff McCartney
07-06-2005, 11:40 AM
Maybe he can teach Tha Third how to shoot. Kori what's the good word on Tha Third? Did the Spurs pick up his option or what?

Kori Ellis
07-06-2005, 11:45 AM
Kori what's the good word on Tha Third? Did the Spurs pick up his option or what?

The Spurs haven't picked up his option yet. I understand that he and his agent have agreed to wait. So the Spurs are probably looking at other options and then figuring it out.

GrandeDavid
07-06-2005, 11:58 AM
Sweet! GK gets what's coming to him for all the whining. Karma's a bitch. :lol

Solid D
07-06-2005, 11:59 AM
http://www.nba.com/blog/blog12.html

This Chip is priceless
Denver assistant coach a fan favorite in the Philippines
Denver Nuggets assistant coach for player development Arthur (Chip) Engelland has a huge fan following in the Philippines.

As a wide-eyed 14-year-old kid, Engelland was a ball boy for legendary coach John Wooden's UCLA team that won the NCAA title in 1975. The Bruins varsity stars included Marques Johnson, Dave Meyers, Richard Washington, Andre McCarter and Ralph Drollinger that year. He went on to lead Los Angeles high schools in scoring at Pacific Palisades then enrolled at Duke. As a Duke senior in 1983, Engelland scored over 1,000 points. His college coaches were legends Bill Foster and Mike Krzyzewski.

From Duke, Engelland took his sneakers to the Philippines where he lived for three years. He cherishes his memories of the Philippines and said "Filipinos are the greatest fans in the world."

Engelland suited up for the Northern Cement Corp. guest amateur team that won the 1985 Philippine Basketball Association (PBA, a professional league) Third Conference crown and for San Miguel Corp. (maker of the world-famous San Miguel beer) in the 1985 Jones Cup in Taipei and the 1985 World Clubs Championships in Gerona, Spain. He averaged 27.5 points in 78 PBA games in 1984 and 1985.

Engelland says his San Miguel jersey from the Jones Cup tournament is a prized possession. He poured in 43 points for San Miguel to lead the club to a 108-100 overtime win over the US in the 1985 Jones Cup finals. The US was coached by Purdue's Gene Keady and bannered by future pros Kenny Gattison, Harold Pressley, Joe Wolf and Kevin Henderson.

Engelland's wife Jessica jokes that he sometimes sleeps in his San Miguel jersey to keep the memory alive.

Jessica is from Detroit. They met when Engelland worked for the Pistons as a shooting consultant in 1999-2000 and were married last summer. Engelland joined the Nuggets staff two years ago.

In a pictorial in the Denver newspaper Rocky Mountain News during the All-Star Weekend last February, Jessica was featured modeling clothes and jewelry with Nuggets general manager Kiki Vandeweghe's wife Peggy, Marcus Camby's fiancée Eva Piper, Earl Boykins' wife Keyan, assistant coach Scott Brooks' wife Sherry, assistant general manager Jeff Weltman's wife Alexis and Andre Miller's girlfriend Jade Payne.

Engelland recently offered to assist the Philippine national team preparing for the FIBA-Asia championships in Doha, Qatar, in September.

"More than his exceptional shooting ability, Chip will help us because of who he is, more than what he does" says Filipino national coach Chot Reyes who visited Detroit to learn from Pistons coach Larry Brown last week.

Reyes describes Engelland, a Duke University graduate, as "a player of intelligence, character and teammanship." He says Engelland's influence on the Filipino cagers will be "very positive."
In an e-mail, Engelland reiterates his desire to help the Philippine team "in any way, shape or form." He says working with the Filipino players would be "fantastic."

Engelland, 43, adds: "I would love to visit Manila. Most importantly for me would be to visit (coach) Ron (Jacobs) and my (Filipino) teammates."

Jacobs, a former West Coast Athletic Association Coach of the Year at Loyola Marymount, was recruited to coach in the Philippines in 1980. A University of Southern California graduate, Jacobs revolutionized the game in the Philippines which he now considers home. Jacobs was Engelland's coach at Northern Cement and San Miguel. He has been nominated for enshrinement in the PBA Hall of Fame,

In 1993, Engelland parlayed his remarkable shooting touch into a profession. He became known as the US' foremost shooting doctor, working with the likes of Steve Kerr, Grant Hill, Shane Battier, Larry Hughes, Corey Maggette and Chamique Holdsclaw.

Engelland primarily works with the younger Nuggets. Writer Stuart Miller says he teaches them how to shoot while they have time to think about it, by themselves firing away in practice.

"Ultimately, players must maintain their mechanics while battling defensive players, fatigue and the pressure of an NBA game so Chip gradually adds movement, shooting off a dribble, defenses and finally, game situations," continues Miller. "He'll use video to encourage visualization of what each player does right. Pure shooting technique is not enough so he'll gradually teach techniques for getting shots off. For instance, a quick release doesn't mean rushing the shot but catching the ball with your feet set and your body at its lowest point ready to jump so the ball spends less time in your hands. He knows creating new habits can be slow and scary so he also teaches players to trust him and the process to understand that coaches don't just look for immediate results."Engelland is the reason why a lot of Filipino fans are rooting for the Nuggets in the coming playoffs. Denver is in the playoffs for the second straight season after an eight-year drought.

Posted by Joaquin Henson - Apr 15 2005 11:30AM

Duff McCartney
07-06-2005, 12:13 PM
The Spurs haven't picked up his option yet. I understand that he and his agent have agreed to wait. So the Spurs are probably looking at other options and then figuring it out.

I hope the Spurs keep him. He's gonna be a great defender. The new Bruce Bowen.

TwoHandJam
07-06-2005, 12:35 PM
I really hope this move is with Parker in mind. If that kid develops a reliable outside shot then he will be downright scary.

Solid D
07-06-2005, 02:44 PM
Here is another slant on Chip from nba.com:

http://www.nba.com/coachfile/chip_engelland/?nav=page

http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/chip_engelland.jpg

Chip Engelland
College - Duke '83

The former ball boy for legendary coach John Wooden’s 1975 NCAA Champion UCLA team went on to lead the Los Angeles City in scoring in 1979 for Pacific Palisades High School. He then attended Duke University where he played for coaching greats Bill Foster and Mike Krzyzewski. Known for his outside shooting, Engelland capped his collegiate career by scoring over 1,000 points as captain of the ’82-83 Blue Devils.

Upon graduation from Duke in 1983, Engelland began his nine-year pro basketball odyssey. Globetrotting first to the Philippines, he was a member of the San Miguel Team which captured the 1985 Jones Cup Championship. Following two seasons of international competition, Engelland returned to North America where he played in All-Star games for the Topeka Sizzlers of the Continental Basketball Association and the Calgary 88’s of the World Basketball League.

He began his coaching career in 1993 with the introduction of his basketball camps “Chip Shots.” These camps helped players of all ages perfect their shooting techniques. As founder of the In-Net Corporation in 1995, Engelland quickly became a sought after speaker, clinician and advisor. He is credited with aiding the development of NBA players Shane Battier, Larry Hughes and Corey Maggette as well as assisting the Detroit Pistons as shooting consultant during the 1999-00 season.

Engelland and his wife, Jessica, reside in Denver.

timvp
07-06-2005, 05:56 PM
Sounds like the Spurs have a new shooting coach. Problem is, the Nuggets were a horrible shooting team last season. :)

But his resume looks solid.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-06-2005, 06:29 PM

<------ Damn, I may be out of a job. :lol

I like the move though. I've been advocating a shooting coach for what, three years now?

'Bout time you saw the light Pop ;)

BadlyDrawnBoy
07-06-2005, 06:31 PM
<------ Damn, I may be out of a job. :lol

I like the move though. I've been advocating a shooting coach for what, three years now?

'Bout time you saw the light Pop ;)

Cue Pop giving Engelland a plane ticket to some unknown country to scout foreign players.

Jdspur20
07-06-2005, 06:33 PM
karl gets :owned !!!!! again.

BadlyDrawnBoy
07-06-2005, 06:34 PM
Karl sounds like the biggest baby in basketball.

Oh oh... Ray Allen and Vince Carter better watch out.

Samr
07-06-2005, 06:55 PM
What's Karl's theory on this one? The guy doesn't have much hair, to that rules that one out.

ObiwanGinobili
07-06-2005, 07:15 PM
:lmao Karl is totally OWNED.

and besides the money and championship possibilties, I think the oppurtunity to work for a great organization like the Spurs, under the bestest coach i nthe whole wide world (pop) would make any guy very very happy.

plus, i don't hink he liked or respected KArl that much.... he left him a freakin voice mail fer christ sake!! :lol

exstatic
07-06-2005, 07:16 PM
What a bitch Karl is. He is the anti-Pop. Pop would RAVE over someone leaving for a better gig, and never whine about them leaving him short.

FilSpursFan
07-06-2005, 08:23 PM
Isn't it great? He was on my team San Miguel Beer(SMB) with the Phil. Basketball Association(PBA) in the 80's... now he's with us again!

Great news! I hope can teach how to shoot FTs to Bowen, Tim, Tony and the rest of the team.

:elephant :elephant :hat

Brutalis
07-06-2005, 08:31 PM
Theres our FT coach.

Karl makes statements as if he isnt one team of the same goals.

Solid D
07-06-2005, 10:13 PM
Anyone with the name "The Shot Doctor" has got to have it goin' on.

SuperManu!!!
07-06-2005, 11:27 PM
is there anything more sweet that pissing of KARL????

Spurzilla
07-07-2005, 02:20 PM
I laughed so hard when I read/heard Karl's comments. He is such a whiner. Maybe Manu can send him some cheese from Argentina.

GhostofAlfrederickHughes
07-07-2005, 03:24 PM
Rocky Mountain News, Jan 28, 2005:

The familiar rush returned again Thursday when Karl ended an 18-month coaching hiatus by signing a six-year, $20 million contract with the Denver Nuggets.

But I'm sure that was just lawyers and agents forcing you to sign that deal, right, George?

:flipoff

DesiSpur_21
07-07-2005, 10:59 PM
See woai.com

George Karl is crying over Spurs hiring Chip Engelland, known as one of the best shooting coaches in the world.

What a loser.

nkdlunch
07-08-2005, 01:08 AM
http://www.artdolls.com/images/gallery/fullsize/cryBaby.jpg

MajicMan
07-08-2005, 01:12 AM
George Karl is a loser. What has he ever won?The guy has no credibility so it shouldn't matter what he says.

DesiSpur_21
07-08-2005, 01:17 AM
link?

http://www.woai.com/spurs/story.aspx?content_id=19AAAACD-ED0D-47A7-930B-251E3FF61100

Horry For 3!
07-08-2005, 02:26 AM
George Carl is always whining about something. This is just another scenario where he can whine some more.

strangeweather
07-08-2005, 02:35 AM
Does anyone else wonder if Karl is bipolar?

When things are going well, he's this giant ray of sunshine, but as soon as things start turning bad, it seems like he immediately becomes depressed and bitter -- at which point he says idiotic stuff like his tirade about Manu.

SenorSpur
07-08-2005, 03:40 AM
His act is really getting old!