PDA

View Full Version : MINIX NEO X5 Dual Core Media Hub

Heath Ledger
03-13-2013, 09:18 PM
Anyone else have one of these? I just picked one up and it kicks some major ass. I have access to just about every movie and tv show ever made. It's an android 4.1.1 based box that functions like a tablet but on your tv. You can download any movie or game from the play store. If you look at reviews online some of them are bad but i think they were from older previous roms and this thing is constantly being updated by the Android community. Streams movies flawlessly. You can pick them up for $100-$120. It runs XBMC which has exploded in development since I last played with it a couple of years ago. You literally can watch every UFC ppv event, movie, tv show I have been unable to stump this box yet.

TDMVPDPOY
03-13-2013, 10:00 PM
is the movies free?

Heath Ledger
03-13-2013, 11:54 PM
hells to the yes they are free...

Heath Ledger
03-13-2013, 11:54 PM
watching Red Dawn 3 in Hi-Def right now

leemajors
03-14-2013, 04:53 PM
It can even play movies that haven't been made!

vander
03-14-2013, 05:15 PM
tempting, does it play nice with network tuners? I have the HDHomerun

Heath Ledger
03-14-2013, 09:46 PM
it streams from the pc in my bedroom really well via wifi

Viva Las Espuelas
05-07-2013, 11:14 AM
I was about to order this but saw some new models are coming out. Are these able or do they need rooting?

Heath Ledger
05-07-2013, 11:38 PM
keep in mind the new models may be quad core but xbmc in its current state is optimised for only a single core so while the rest of the device may be snappier its not necessary to run and have a good xbmc experience, also some newer models are having some issues with xbmc but those will be addressed in further firmware updates as well as xbmc updates. right now neo x5 i think would be fine and its about $50 cheaper.

Viva Las Espuelas
05-08-2013, 11:49 AM
Cool. What about rooting? Can it be rooted? Is it needed?

Heath Ledger
05-09-2013, 12:54 AM
it can be but its not needed

Viva Las Espuelas
05-09-2013, 11:00 AM
OK, well I ordered it yesterday. Should get it tomorrow.

Heath Ledger
05-10-2013, 05:12 AM
when you get it let me know if you need help i can help through skype if need be.
you will need to install xbmc and a few other things to have the best experience. and ill tell you which version, you will also need to update the firmware .

Drachen
05-10-2013, 07:45 AM
when you get it let me know if you need help i can help through skype if need be.
you will need to install xbmc and a few other things to have the best experience. and ill tell you which version, you will also need to update the firmware .

which repositories/add ons do you use to get movies?

Viva Las Espuelas
05-10-2013, 11:08 AM
Yes, please let me know what those are. I know you posted a few in that other thread so I'll start with those.

Heath Ledger
05-10-2013, 12:30 PM
First install xbmc Xaf edition for neon set top boxes it will pre install most of what you need
Top apps
Navi x
Ice films
1channel
Mash2k
Sports devil
Video devil

Heath Ledger
05-10-2013, 12:31 PM
Also install mx player non pro edition free on the same site as the Xaf download

Viva Las Espuelas
05-10-2013, 05:13 PM
Thanks, man. I can't wait to get home and fire this up.

Viva Las Espuelas
05-11-2013, 04:06 PM
Ok. Overall its a cool little box but I haven't checked it all out. Xbmc is a little frustrating. Im finally understanding the addons , repositories, etc but the "external player is active" is annoying. Does that mean the link is dead or something? I'm mainly checking out the live streams. I had no luck at all with them. Also Sports devil and video devil didn't add and I cant find them but I'm still messing with it.

Heath Ledger
05-12-2013, 09:44 AM
you can change your video player in the settings this should fix your external player is active message.

DarrinS
05-12-2013, 09:59 AM
I regret not spending a tad bit more and getting the NEO. The wifi on the smaller units is a little flaky -- keeps dropping, etc.

Heath Ledger
05-12-2013, 08:43 PM
Ive had no drops on the g4 minix and its a stick.

Drachen
05-13-2013, 09:37 AM
Ok. Overall its a cool little box but I haven't checked it all out. Xbmc is a little frustrating. Im finally understanding the addons , repositories, etc but the "external player is active" is annoying. Does that mean the link is dead or something? I'm mainly checking out the live streams. I had no luck at all with them. Also Sports devil and video devil didn't add and I cant find them but I'm still messing with it.

not sure about video devil, but you can find sports devil in the MaxMustermann repository. Install that, and the Sports devil add-on should appear in your video add on list.

I am really digging XBMC, but on my touchpad especially. The live streams just look better on that screen than on my TV (Plus I can take it around with me and continue watching the spurs while taking a dump or whatever).

I thought about building a Raspberry Pi XBMC box, but it seems that you still have to connect with a laptop or computer to stream netflix/hulu/Amazon VOD which completely defeats the purpose for me (unless I was reading everything wrong and it is a full version of XBMC). I may just wait until the end of the month to get a new box because either these quad cores will be great, or the current gens will drop in price.

Lastly DarrinS, where did you get yours from... can you return it?

Drachen
05-13-2013, 10:21 AM
Ok, I just realized that I need miracast in a set top box... when one of these android boxes or sticks does miracast, I am sold.

DarrinS
05-13-2013, 02:22 PM
I thought about building a Raspberry Pi XBMC box, but it seems that you still have to connect with a laptop or computer to stream netflix/hulu/Amazon VOD which completely defeats the purpose for me (unless I was reading everything wrong and it is a full version of XBMC). I may just wait until the end of the month to get a new box because either these quad cores will be great, or the current gens will drop in price.

Lastly DarrinS, where did you get yours from... can you return it?

Would the Rasp Pi have enough power to do that?

As for your last question, I think I was just using it in a dead spot in the house, a bit too far from my wireless router.

Drachen
05-13-2013, 04:47 PM
Would the Rasp Pi have enough power to do that?

As for your last question, I think I was just using it in a dead spot in the house, a bit too far from my wireless router.

Yes, apparently it works pretty well, but it is a mixture of being the workhorse for certain applications and a thin client for "premium channels" (netflix, hulu and amazon instant video were mentioned).

That defeats the whole purpose for me. If I want to leave a computer (or laptop) on and active, I might as well just use THAT for my xbmc box.

Heath Ledger
05-13-2013, 08:04 PM
miracast coming soon.

Drachen
05-14-2013, 12:07 AM
On what?

Heath Ledger
05-14-2013, 06:18 AM
minix is working on it as well as some other

Heath Ledger
05-15-2013, 12:48 PM
ill have one of the new quad core units sometime this weekend. will post a review.

Drachen
05-15-2013, 08:47 PM
ill have one of the new quad core units sometime this weekend. will post a review.

Which one?

Heath Ledger
05-17-2013, 08:25 AM
tronsmart q2

Viva Las Espuelas
05-17-2013, 10:36 AM
Its a stick.

Drachen
05-17-2013, 02:06 PM
but I have read that that stick doesn't play xbmc very well... Please let us know what your experience is.

Drachen
05-17-2013, 02:06 PM
I think I may wait for the ouya (though it doesn't have miracast).. we will see.

DarrinS
05-17-2013, 03:03 PM
I can't figure out how to turn it off using the UI. I've just been unplugging the damned thing.

Heath Ledger
05-17-2013, 11:29 PM
darrin you can set it to turn off/sleep in the settings after x amount of minutes. i set mine to 30 minutes. ouya blows goats.

Heath Ledger
05-17-2013, 11:29 PM
and the stick runs xbmc just fine but go with a minix and update firmware your all set.

Drachen
05-19-2013, 01:17 AM
wuyahat blows goats about the ouya

DarrinS
05-20-2013, 09:56 AM
darrin you can set it to turn off/sleep in the settings after x amount of minutes. i set mine to 30 minutes. ouya blows goats.

Thanks.

A cool thing I've been able to do with this Andoid mini -- stream media from my dedicated HTPC running XMBC. Set up the HTPC to share its media library with the home network and there's an app on the Android mini that allows me to browse to these folders. Pretty cool.

Drachen
05-20-2013, 12:13 PM
Thanks.

A cool thing I've been able to do with this Andoid mini -- stream media from my dedicated HTPC running XMBC. Set up the HTPC to share its media library with the home network and there's an app on the Android mini that allows me to browse to these folders. Pretty cool.

Can't you just run XBMC directly from the android mini?

leemajors
05-20-2013, 12:50 PM
Can't you just run XBMC directly from the android mini?

I don't think it would be ideal to run the server from, but that's just a guess.

Drachen
05-20-2013, 12:58 PM
I don't think it would be ideal to run the server from, but that's just a guess.

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but the android version of xbmc, as of a several months ago is the full version of xbmc. I have been running it on my phone and my Touchpad without my laptop.

leemajors
05-20-2013, 01:30 PM
Maybe I am misunderstanding, but the android version of xbmc, as of a several months ago is the full version of xbmc. I have been running it on my phone and my Touchpad without my laptop.

I was just going by him having an HTPC with hosted files, no reason not to run it from there.

Drachen
05-20-2013, 01:48 PM
I was just going by him having an HTPC with hosted files, no reason not to run it from there.

I guess the reason that I protested is that he said that "there's an app" that allows him to browse those files. I was thinking something like ES file explorer or something so then I thought, why use a file explorer when you could just as easily use the (imo) excellent ui of xbmc directly

DarrinS
05-20-2013, 02:26 PM
I guess the reason that I protested is that he said that "there's an app" that allows him to browse those files. I was thinking something like ES file explorer or something so then I thought, why use a file explorer when you could just as easily use the (imo) excellent ui of xbmc directly

I haven't tried to install XBMC yet. But, the Android mini doesn't have much storage -- hence using the 2TB disk on my HTPC to host the movies, etc.

I'm going to install XBMC on it at some point -- just haven't gotten around to it.

Drachen
05-20-2013, 02:38 PM
I haven't tried to install XBMC yet. But, the Android mini doesn't have much storage -- hence using the 2TB disk on my HTPC to host the movies, etc.

I'm going to install XBMC on it at some point -- just haven't gotten around to it.

The xbmc app is only 151 MB and it can scan your network for shared media.

For example, I have a 2TB NAS (WD worldbook)and I can play videos through xbmc on my phone or tablet.

Heath Ledger
05-20-2013, 04:16 PM
his stick has 8 gigs of ram but you can put an sd up to 32 gigs and or install a usb hard drive but you will need a powered usb hub for that as the stick only has one usb port and you pretty much need that for a good wireless keyboard/mouse

DarrinS
05-20-2013, 11:05 PM
his stick has 8 gigs of ram but you can put an sd up to 32 gigs and or install a usb hard drive but you will need a powered usb hub for that as the stick only has one usb port and you pretty much need that for a good wireless keyboard/mouse

I can see the microSD coming in handy if I wanted to take it on the road.

DarrinS
05-20-2013, 11:06 PM
Thing gets kinda warm after a while, btw

Heath Ledger
05-21-2013, 02:05 AM
Yeah i've already mentioned that thats why you want to setup a sleep setting and also why i would recommend the bigger box versus the stick. (x5)

Viva Las Espuelas
05-21-2013, 02:30 PM
The xbmc app is only 151 MB and it can scan your network for shared media.

where can you do that? i've been looking at all the settings for this and i guess i'm missing it.

Drachen
05-21-2013, 03:08 PM
Videos > files >add videos > source

Viva Las Espuelas
05-21-2013, 03:14 PM
Thanks. I found this earlier though. Xbmc got a lot more cooler.

Drachen
05-21-2013, 03:47 PM
I'm mad that I haven't been using it until now

DarrinS
05-21-2013, 04:13 PM
Thanks. I found this earlier though. Xbmc got a lot more cooler.

It's really cool once you setup programs like Couchpotato, Sickbeard, icefilms, etc

Heath Ledger
05-21-2013, 06:35 PM
Best xbmc adons
Navi x
1channel
Icefilms
Sportsdevil
Mash2k

I also love how you can browse youtube on your phone or tablet and have it play on yourtv

DarrinS
05-22-2013, 11:17 AM
Best xbmc adons
Navi x
1channel
Icefilms
Sportsdevil
Mash2k

I also love how you can browse youtube on your phone or tablet and have it play on yourtv

I guess I need to check out 1channel, Sportsdevil, and Mash2k

Thanks

Drachen
05-22-2013, 11:32 AM
I guess I need to check out 1channel, Sportsdevil, and Mash2k

Thanks

Sportsdevil is how I watch the spurs... not great, but it works.

Drachen
05-26-2013, 09:55 PM
Best xbmc adons
Navi x
1channel
Icefilms
Sportsdevil
Mash2k

so what happened with that quad core that you were testing?

Heath Ledger
05-27-2013, 11:06 PM
i didnt get it the guy flaked out on me.