PDA

View Full Version : Baynes vs Diaw?

skulls138
03-13-2013, 09:24 PM
If Baynes were in shape, who would be more beneficial? What little Ive seen it seems like he's a bad ass.

If he is as good as that potential he's shown, he could put us on an even higher level.

Diaw's good but doesnt do enough big man stuff.

wtgspurs
03-13-2013, 09:41 PM
Diaw is fat and just looks old and washed up on the court. I hope pop starts trying out Baynes soon, atleast for that Cleveland game, that way we might have a better bigs rotation come playoffs time. Pop needs to have faith in the guy. Diaw is just terrible and looks gayish

freetiago
03-13-2013, 09:45 PM
Diaw is coasting its quite obvious
when he decides to shoot he can become a difference maker
stretch 4 with good passing ability who can defend post up guys

its the 2 turds who he should be compared to
Blair without the fat has been very underwhelming
he lost his ability to rebound and finish around the rim
still cant play D

Bonners struggles are well documented for the past 7 years and its pathetic how our PGs are better rebounders then he is at this point

BatManu20
03-13-2013, 09:54 PM
If Diaw could shoot it'd be Diaw in a landslide. But since he misses so many open shots and almost single handedly holds back the offense, it's actually close.

Canibspur
03-13-2013, 09:59 PM
Diaw is coasting its quite obvious
when he decides to shoot he can become a difference maker
stretch 4 with good passing ability who can defend post up guys

its the 2 turds who he should be compared to
Blair without the fat has been very underwhelming
he lost his ability to rebound and finish around the rim
still cant play D

Bonners struggles are well documented for the past 7 years and its pathetic how our PGs are better rebounders then he is at this point
I would love if Diaw was actually good enough to pull that off. He's just not man. Agree with you on Bonner though.

freetiago
03-13-2013, 10:05 PM
Diaw shut down Milsap last years playoffs and did a very good job on Griffin
im not sure if youre doubting Diaws passing ability or his shooting ability
Diaw is one of the best passing bigs in the league
and hes shooting 55/40 on the season
so no he doesnt miss a lot of shots he just doesnt take many

Capt Bringdown
03-13-2013, 10:08 PM
At times, we need an injection of rebounding and protect-the-rim defense. Why ignore an asset that shows promise in fulfilling this need? What's there to lose in having a look at Baynes?

Canibspur
03-13-2013, 10:10 PM
Actually, I'm doubting his ratio between the two. He gets too unselfish too often. I'm not saying I don't like Diaw or that he can't be in asset. I think if the Spurs gave him between 12-17 minutes every game and he shot when open outside he would be most effective. But that's the limit. Him playing more minutes than that is what scares me.

TheGoldStandard
03-13-2013, 10:26 PM
Diaw is typically looking to pass first even when he makes a nice move to the basket and has a makeable layup he'll pass it out to a more difficult shot. I don't see Baynes eating him minutes but hopefully the Spurs will shed Bonners contract this offseason to make room for Baynes in the rotation as well as picking up another big or someone with length with a vet minimum. The spurs also mentioned bringing Hanga over 2 years after they drafted him which would be this off season.

skulls138
03-13-2013, 10:44 PM
Alot of talk about Diaw but what about Baynes? Is what he did legit, because if it is, its a no brainer.

TheGoldStandard
03-13-2013, 10:59 PM
There is no telling because we have not had a measuring stick to see what Baynes can do in game situations. Sure you can evaluate guys in practice and what they gather but the atmosphere changes when you're playing in game so we won't know until he gets minutes. The limited minutes that we've seen he has been a big energy guy, plays defense around the rim but is a little too physical so gets called for fouls, has been out of position a few times. Not sure if he can hit that short mid range shot consistently.

BackHome
03-13-2013, 11:05 PM
I like Baynes but you can tell he is not ready for the big time "YET" we will need to bring him up slowly.

John B
03-13-2013, 11:24 PM
Apples and oranges. I like to see Baynes in the future banging inside and blocking/deflecting shots, and maybe dislocating Pau. Diaw is a combination of body and quick stretch four who can guard a mobile big like Griffin/Novitsky and even Lebron on a good night. He's fast enough to guard the PnR and close in on the shooter. He could do all these if motivated. Diaw reminds me of Mr Kardisian without the TV show. He has huge potentias but would not engage. I bet he's heard different versions of cussing from Manu and TP to shoot the ball. I think he needs to hangout more with Neal.

unforeseen
03-14-2013, 02:46 AM
The only highlight I saw of Baynes was when Rubio dribbled behind his back twice on him. It was nice though.

sventhedog
03-14-2013, 04:01 AM
i understand that baynes has more potential than diaw but baynes is a traditional big and splitter already has that job.

diaw, on the other hand, is the closest thing the spurs have for a more versatile lineup. he can be a liability on offense because he hesitates to take shots but is a decent post defender and a great passer.

the spurs still don't have that athletic 4 to defend versatile smaller teams. so they can only count on diaw for that. baynes will eventually play a bigger role in the next few years. he'll also be an insurance policy if the spurs can't resign splitter.

Nero5
03-14-2013, 06:23 AM
havn't you noticed the greater efforts from Splitter? He has a not fully formed mirror on the team, true the reflection is not complete, but Baynes is 1/8th of the price and 80% of the potential. He is big and strong and needs time to be more valuable...like half of the last game!

Darkwaters
03-14-2013, 11:12 AM
Diaw > Baynes

You're cock slobbering the new guy after spot minutes in garbage time. Diaw on the other hand has been solid in the post season...not just regular season garbage time. Give Diaw some credit, he can be frustrating, but hes a damn solid players at time.

Raven
03-14-2013, 11:32 AM
tbh baynes isn't useful against okc or miami, so there i s really no use for him the play offs, diaw otoh is the key to create matchup nightmares to those two teams, so there really is no match.

cd021
03-14-2013, 02:31 PM
If Diaw could shoot it'd be Diaw in a landslide. But since he misses so many open shots and almost single handedly holds back the offense, it's actually close.

Diaw is hitting 46% of his 3's since coming to the Spurs last season. Its only when he hesitates he misses.

cd021
03-14-2013, 02:32 PM
Diaw > Baynes

You're cock slobbering the new guy after spot minutes in garbage time. Diaw on the other hand has been solid in the post season...not just regular season garbage time. Give Diaw some credit, he can be frustrating, but hes a damn solid players at time.

A little vulgar but I Agree.

DesignatedT
03-14-2013, 03:48 PM
Diaw. He was one of the only guys who consistently played well throughout the entire playoffs last season. He can perform on the big stage. Baynes is extremely raw, inexperienced and has never played playoff basketball. lol this argument.

colargol
03-14-2013, 04:26 PM
Diaw > Baynes

+1

ace3g
03-14-2013, 04:41 PM
Do people realize we probably don't get to the WCF without Diaw; he has more impact defensively/offensively than people give him credit for. I'm a big fan of Baynes but Diaw > Baynes easily right now.

timtonymanu
03-15-2013, 05:42 PM
I'm actually not a fan of Diaw at all, but come on now, quit overrating Baynes. Diaw>>>>Baynes

Darkwaters
03-16-2013, 05:27 AM
Diaw for sure but the 5 to 6 minutes a game pop keeps giving to Blair I rather see go to Baynes.

I'll second that. The Blair ship has come and sailed.

spurraider21
03-16-2013, 05:36 AM
Diaw for sure but the 5 to 6 minutes a game pop keeps giving to Blair I rather see go to Baynes.

3rd

TJastal
03-16-2013, 06:06 AM
I'll second that. The Blair ship has come and sailed.
I'll fourth this. Blair should be given one last glorious feast of whataburgers and then unceremoniously air

lifted out to the middle of the Chihuahuan desert and pushed out of the plane with nothing but a chute and a broken compass.

weeks
03-16-2013, 05:08 PM
what a disrespectful question!!!!

Proxy
03-16-2013, 06:57 PM
Diaw easily. He coasts a lot. He'll be there in the playoffs.

Gagnrath
03-16-2013, 10:52 PM
The other important thing I want people to remember is that a line-up of splitter/duncan duncan/baynes or splitter/baynes forces lebron to play at sf not PF and leonard can guard him there. It might also be interesting to see a line-up with 2 bigs and diaw at the 3 against teams with a slower 3.