PDA

View Full Version : Elliott called out on his homerism

freetiago
03-14-2013, 12:08 AM
http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/03/13/air-check-the-genius-of-clyde/?ls=nbahpsplit1

3. Calls against your team are not for the faint of heart
Game: Oklahoma City @ San Antonio, March 11
Broadcast: San Antonio (NBA TV)

video i cant link

Sean Elliott ranks as one of the biggest homers on League Pass, and he doesn’t change his stripes when the Spurs’ broadcast goes national for NBA TV. Here, he has issues with two straight loose ball fouls on Boris Diaw.
After the first call, Elliott tells us that he “didn’t like that one at all.” No kidding. Then he says that “It’s a grown man’s game underneath,” and “The paint area is not for the faint of heart.”
I guess that means that Diaw is allowed to hold down Serge Ibaka‘s arm as the rebound comes their way.
After the second call, Elliott says “Ibaka looked like he had that rebound anyways.” Well no, he didn’t once he got fouled.
Then, “Ibaka gets rewarded for not boxing out.” Actually, Diaw gets punished for pushing Ibaka in the back.
Bottom line, a foul is a foul, even if it happens 94 feet from the basket.
“Two wrongs just make it wrong,” Elliott says.
That’s exactly what those who were listening to him were thinking.

we all know Sean is a homer but i think he was right here tbh
Serge gets away with a lot of contact and goaltends and when the game is in the bonus as expected the Thunderrefs striked full force calling fouls before OKC even had possession of the ball

TheGoldStandard
03-14-2013, 12:11 AM
There are initiatives around the league to protect players, to swallow the whistle for some and to have the whistle ready in case they miss and its been happening for quite some time.

timtonymanu
03-14-2013, 12:13 AM
Sean is a pretty big homer, but that applies for other commentators in the league...

I'm sure the OKC feed was just as biased

thunderup
03-14-2013, 12:17 AM
Sean ain't so bad. It's that Bill guy that's annoying as heck.

KaiRMD1
03-14-2013, 12:18 AM
Sean Eliott is in the same club as LOTS of announcers. This is no surprise. One of the biggest homers (and hilarious when the guy has an aneurism) is Tommy Heinsohn

ElNono
03-14-2013, 12:19 AM
I would rank him as 'mild' compared to guys like Heinsohn, tbh

crc21209
03-14-2013, 12:20 AM

:lol

TheGoldStandard
03-14-2013, 12:20 AM
Heinsohn is one of the kings of homerism.

timtonymanu
03-14-2013, 12:22 AM
I can definitely see why other fans don't like Bill and Sean. I'm not even gonna debate that.

Other homer commentators:

- Heinsohn
- Blazers commentators (Living in Portland and having to listen to these commentators is annoying as fuck)
- Nuggets commentators
- OKC commentators

Any other ones?

timtonymanu
03-14-2013, 12:23 AM
:lol

I'm sure "OH MAMA!" gets old to other fans, even though I enjoy the hell out of it. :lol

Just like how I hate the Clippers announcer going, "Oh Me, Oh My!"

Bill_Brasky
03-14-2013, 12:27 AM

Yeah if I were an opposing fan I'd hate Bill more. He just sounds so dejected anytime the opposing team does something good.

thunderup
03-14-2013, 12:27 AM
I'm sure "OH MAMA!" gets old to other fans, even though I enjoy the hell out of it. :lol

Oh mama is one of the most annoying things my auditory functions have processed partner.

crc21209
03-14-2013, 12:54 AM
I can definitely see why other fans don't like Bill and Sean. I'm not even gonna debate that.

- Heinsohn
- Blazers commentators (Living in Portland and having to listen to these commentators is annoying as fuck)
- Nuggets commentators
- OKC commentators

Any other ones?

:lol Yeah maybe I wouldnt care much for the "Oh mama" if I wasnt a fan of the Spurs. But I do feel that our announcers are at least educated about the game, unlike some other announce teams like OKC's who sound like they just started watching the game when OKC got a team...

Juggity
03-14-2013, 01:00 AM
I think I remember the Memphis announcers being some of the worst in the league

timtonymanu
03-14-2013, 01:01 AM
I think I remember the Memphis announcers being some of the worst in the league

Forgot about them, especially the Blind Side movie dad guy.

timtonymanu
03-14-2013, 01:02 AM
:lol Yeah maybe I wouldnt care much for the "Oh mama" if I wasnt a fan of the Spurs. But I do feel that our announcers are at least educated about the game, unlike some other announce teams like OKC's who sound like they just started watching the game when OKC got a team...

Truth.

freetiago
03-14-2013, 01:03 AM
Clyde Drexler one of the worst in the game tbh
has 0 knowledge of opposing players
once Gary Neal was drilling shots and he said thats ok thats not his game if he keeps hitting them you live with it

mercos
03-14-2013, 01:10 AM
Almost all former player-commentators are complete homers. Sean is more tolerable IMO due to his more goofy nature.

FuzzyLumpkins
03-14-2013, 01:12 AM

Can't be more annoying that the "Wow!" the fucktard that does ESPN's SEC broadcasts is. I've been looking at some draft prospects and god that guy is annoying.

Darius McCrary
03-14-2013, 01:16 AM
Sean Elliott rules.

cd021
03-14-2013, 01:23 AM
Its actually pretty ironic that the Lakers broadcasters seem to be fairly unbiased. I've watched several of their games and have been somewhat surprised.

cd021
03-14-2013, 01:24 AM
Sean ****** is both corny and cliche. I didn't think that you could be both. I can't stand listening to the Spurs broadcasters. They're almost as bad as the Wizards Broadcasters.

KaiRMD1
03-14-2013, 01:26 AM

That's pretty much anybody rooting for OKC lol

Sean Cagney
03-14-2013, 01:32 AM
Sean is a pretty big homer, but that applies for other commentators in the league...

I'm sure the OKC feed was just as biased

Yep, he is a big homer but it goes beyond him as well. ALOT are HUGE HOMERS and get annoying at times and say some dumb idiot shit when talking BBALL.
Oh mama is one of the most annoying things my auditory functions have processed partner.

I agree and I am a Spurs fan, hard to agree with you on this but that shit is corny to me.

spurs10
03-14-2013, 01:34 AM
Sean Elliott is an unbelievably great person. If anyone should ever in their lifetime meet a cooler, more bad-ass, and more talented person, then please tell tell the world!!!

Sean Cagney
03-14-2013, 01:36 AM
Sean Elliott is an unbelievably great person. If anyone should ever in their lifetime meet a cooler, more bad-ass, and more talented person, then please tell tell the world!!!

Yes he is all of that and us Spurs fans love him, but dude is a homer like most announcers and that probably gets on other fans nerves too. We see it as Spurs and Elliott fans! They see it as a former player and homer.

Phenomanul
03-14-2013, 02:19 AM
These days it's actually rarer to find non-homer announcers...

I will second on the Lakers having knowledgeable and objective announcers... How I would rank teams' announcers from best to worst:

Atlanta Hawks
Brooklyn Nets
Los Angeles Lakers
New York Knicks
Indiana Pacers
New Orleans Hornets
LA Clippers
MOST EVERYONE ELSE (middle of the pack)
Dallas Mavericks
Miami Heat
OKC
Phoenix Suns
Denver Nuggets
Houston Rockets
Portland Trailblazers
Boston Celtics

HarlemHeat37
03-14-2013, 02:47 AM
Atlanta? Their announcers are boring, tbh, and Wilkins is pretty shitty IMO..

Team announcers are supposed to be biased, tbh..they're appealing to the fans of their team, there's a reason both teams involved have their own set of announcers..

Overall, based on entertainment/knowledge, I'd rank the announcers:

Elite: Brooklyn, Golden State, Sacramento, Indiana, Minnesota

Good: New York, LA Clippers, Milwaukee

Irritating but entertaining/listenable: Boston(Heinsohn is amazing), Chicago, Utah, Dallas, San Antonio

Fair, but boring: Toronto, New Orleans, Atlanta, Orlando, Philly, LA, Miami, Charlotte, Washington, Detroit

Shitty: Denver, Memphis, Cleveland

The worst of the worst: Portland, Houston, OKC

spurraider21
03-14-2013, 04:57 AM
Main lakers announcer is unbiased. Sutherland is his name. The color commentator, Stu Lanz (as all) shows more bias. Now his bias isn't extreme, but his mannerisms are impossible to deal with. The Lakers radio voice is solid, Jon Ireland. He used to be their sideline reporter, then after hosting a Laker talk show got bumped up the radio play by play where he's great. His color commentator, Michael Thompson (klay's dad) is fuckin terrible. I was listening to the start of the most recent Laker/Spurs game on the radio and Tiago scored for a second time and he said "Tiago Splitter has scored twice this quarter! We cant allow that. Hes not even an offensive threat, he's mostly out there for his defense."

Bill and Sean are pretty bad tbh, though at least they give props to the other team

Thread
03-14-2013, 08:22 AM
He's a disgrace.

Richie
03-14-2013, 08:43 AM

This is exactly how I feel. The Clippers annoncer annoys the hell out of me when he goes crazy on every alley-oop, but I love Bill's Oh Mama

look_at_g_shred
03-14-2013, 08:58 AM
Can't stand the Miami announcers for shit!

temujin
03-14-2013, 09:04 AM
OKC, Memphis and Drexler of Houston are the worse.
OKC actually look like guys that are new to the business.
Reggie Miller and Jon Barry are also really bad.
Boston is pretty bad, but they often stay silent for like 10'', which is good.

Mike Fratello the best, but haven't heard him this year.

Drom John
03-14-2013, 09:16 AM
Yes, Sean is a homer, but ...

After the second call, Elliott says “Ibaka looked like he had that rebound anyways.”

was not a homer quote. D'oh, Sean was complaining that Boris made a stupid foul.

Russ
03-14-2013, 09:22 AM
I don't mind homers long as they call the team "we" like Elliott does. That's an appropriate disclaimer that gives license for all kinds of misbehavior.

The worst are the ones who employ objective pronouns and then bombard you with biased whining (like Tommy Heinsohn used to, ah heck, I loved him too).

xtremesteven33
03-14-2013, 10:13 AM
Not only is the guy one of the coolest people you could ever meet, Sean Elliott is a great color commentator who is not afraid to show his homerism. He used to color commentate for ESPN and was one of their best analysts. Sean always offers good evaluation of plays and brings great insight into the game.

Bill Land is a bit corny and is targeted more towards an older audience.

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-14-2013, 10:56 AM
Rockets have one of the worst in Matt Bullard who somehow is actually an upgrade over Drexler and Calvin Murphy.

quentin_compson
03-14-2013, 10:58 AM
I like Sean as a color commentator. Sure he is a homer, but he knows it and admits it and is able to laugh about it himself. But he is entertaining and his basketball knowledge is good as well.

weeks
03-14-2013, 11:03 AM
cleveland is bad
the color commentator in that city is the worst ever

SupremeGuy
03-14-2013, 11:16 AM
meh... as team announcers are like that

The announcer that really gets under my skin is Reggie. My fave is probably JVG. He's hilarious.

Man In Black
03-14-2013, 11:28 AM
No one is a bigger homer than ...

MYCHAL Thompson, Radio Broadcast team LAL-
http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/lakers/post/_/id/31309/ireland-thompson-back-in-the-radio-booth

Mychal Thompson is terrible, how the hell does he know what kobe's thinking, is he a mind reader. Bad hire, obviously whoever made the decision to keep him must not listen to the broadcast.

CBfzTOjOV88

rjv
03-14-2013, 12:58 PM
a homer calls out a homer. nice

superbigtime
03-14-2013, 02:26 PM
Wasn't the first time, won't be the last.

LarryDavid
03-14-2013, 02:55 PM
Aren't all home team announcers going to be homers?

Obstructed_View
03-14-2013, 04:41 PM
http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/03/13/air-check-the-genius-of-clyde/?ls=nbahpsplit1

3. Calls against your team are not for the faint of heart
Game: Oklahoma City @ San Antonio, March 11
Broadcast: San Antonio (NBA TV)

video i cant link

Sean Elliott ranks as one of the biggest homers on League Pass, and he doesn’t change his stripes when the Spurs’ broadcast goes national for NBA TV. Here, he has issues with two straight loose ball fouls on Boris Diaw.
After the first call, Elliott tells us that he “didn’t like that one at all.” No kidding. Then he says that “It’s a grown man’s game underneath,” and “The paint area is not for the faint of heart.”
I guess that means that Diaw is allowed to hold down Serge Ibaka‘s arm as the rebound comes their way.
After the second call, Elliott says “Ibaka looked like he had that rebound anyways.” Well no, he didn’t once he got fouled.
Then, “Ibaka gets rewarded for not boxing out.” Actually, Diaw gets punished for pushing Ibaka in the back.
Bottom line, a foul is a foul, even if it happens 94 feet from the basket.
“Two wrongs just make it wrong,” Elliott says.
That’s exactly what those who were listening to him were thinking.

we all know Sean is a homer but i think he was right here tbh
Serge gets away with a lot of contact and goaltends and when the game is in the bonus as expected the Thunderrefs striked full force calling fouls before OKC even had possession of the ball

Actually, I don't think Sean is a big homer, but I really disagreed with him on that particular call. Boris pushed him in the back. That happens several times a game. I'm unsure how anyone could even argue that call, but that's not something Sean does a lot in my experience. He's better than 95 percent of the color commentators on national broadcasts.

jimbo
03-14-2013, 04:50 PM
Oh mama, tar heel triple, ka-wow all that stuff is just terrible. Sean is corny enough for the both of them without putting all of that in there.

Sean isn't too bad of a homer imo, he just commentates with the expectation that the Spurs should win every game so he gets disappointed when there's sloppy play. Only other thing he does is he'll tell it like it is, like if a team is bad-- he'll call them bad.

Obstructed_View
03-14-2013, 04:54 PM
Yeah, maybe my definition of homer is different from others. Sean holds the team to a ridiculously high standard, speaks up for them when he thinks they're wronged, and calls them stupid when they make a mistake. He says "we" because it's a team he literally risked his life to play for. One can understand why the Spurs are so personal to him.

Beaverfuzz
03-14-2013, 05:22 PM

- Heinsohn
- Nuggets commentators
- OKC commentators

Any other ones?

You seriously don't like Barrett and Rice? Rice is f'n awesome, anyone who gets kicked out of a game by Javie is just fine in my book.

maverick1948
03-14-2013, 08:16 PM
Bill's "Oh Mama" is allowed on tv. Oh shit, Holy shit, Hell yah, and other expletives are NOT allowed. Will live for each "OH MAMA" Bill screams out.

DejuanorwhatDude
03-14-2013, 09:01 PM
Why would anyone care that Spurs announcers that call Spurs games are pro Spurs? I'd rather have it that way than have them be bland like all national TV tandems outside of Breen and Van Gundy.

Budkin
03-14-2013, 09:13 PM
The worst color commentator I've ever seen (not homer but just in lack of talent) is Magic Johnson. When he had that stint on NBC in the early 90s... good god.

DarrinS
03-14-2013, 10:28 PM
Aren't all home team announcers going to be homers?

Yes

CitizenDwayne
03-14-2013, 10:50 PM
Sean can be annoying, but Tommy Heinsohn has to take the cake here. Guy is unbearable.

Mark919
03-14-2013, 11:02 PM
Who cares ??? He commentates in our tv area .fuck nba tv.

Poolboy5623
03-14-2013, 11:39 PM
Not only is the guy one of the coolest people you could ever meet, Sean Elliott is a great color commentator who is not afraid to show his homerism. He used to color commentate for ESPN and was one of their best analysts. Sean always offers good evaluation of plays and brings great insight into the game.

Bill Land is a bit corny and is targeted more towards an older audience.

I don't ever remember Sean doing games for espn...Bruce maybe but not Sean..

scanry
03-15-2013, 12:30 AM
I can listen to the Clippers broadcast all way tbh. Smith is very fair in his assesment and Lawler is a legend. The Heat, Lakers, Jazz, Warriors, New York and Brooklyn are also among the best.

The Suns broadcast is really whiny and boring. Is it Eddie Johnson who call the game?

scanry
03-15-2013, 12:32 AM
I don't ever remember Sean doing games for espn...Bruce maybe but not Sean..

I remember him doing games in 03-04 season.

Kidd K
03-15-2013, 12:42 AM
Dude who wrote that is an idiot. He's basically crying about Elliott being upset about the Thunder getting consequtive calls back to back to back. Schuhmann must not recall what happened in game 6 last year.

He cries about "a foul's a foul and should be called". . .but I didn't see him say any shit about all of Ibaka's goaltends that weren't called last year (like 12 of his 16 goaltends weren't called), or all the moving screens and grabbing Ibaka and Perkins were setting throughout the series that went uncalled 95% of the time.

Poolboy5623
03-15-2013, 04:06 AM
I've actually seen quite a bit of whining from thunder fans/media after that loss....I think that one stung a bit, just maybe? ....they were making fun of Westbrook and his half court shot attempt on tnt tonight....and it was pretty damn funny.

Blizzardwizard
03-15-2013, 08:11 AM
The Cavs colour commentator is the worst, his voice and the fact you can't understand what he's saying half the time.

SpurPadre
03-15-2013, 10:52 AM

- Heinsohn
- Nuggets commentators
- OKC commentators

Any other ones?

The Warriors commentators are HUGE homers. They bitch about every whistle against the team as if the team were perennial World Champs that always deserve the benefit of the doubt. The Kings commentators are like that too, even with their team being perennial losers the last several years.

Johnsyounger
03-15-2013, 11:37 AM
Ive had LP for a number of years. ALL commentators are homers. The NBA may even tell them to be. Some are worse than others. San Antonio is middle of the pack as far as LP homers.

Obstructed_View
03-15-2013, 12:32 PM
The Cavs colour commentator is the worst, his voice and the fact you can't understand what he's saying half the time.

Like this? Spittin glass at your ass.

http://youtu.be/wUdYd62Il1Y

Thread
03-15-2013, 01:02 PM
That's why I couldn't blame Cousins for taking off after him.

Obstructed_View
03-15-2013, 02:49 PM
That's why I couldn't blame Cousins for taking off after him.

Because you're a pussy, too?

Thread
03-15-2013, 03:01 PM
^Elliott had it comin'. Hiding behind the mic was chickenshit.

lmbebo
03-15-2013, 06:48 PM
Elliott is a homer, but god I love him for it :D

ThaBigFundamental21
03-15-2013, 08:10 PM
Living in Colorado the Nuggets commentators are pretty obnoxious. But look at our commentators, it is what it is.

crc21209
03-15-2013, 09:12 PM

:rolleyes

CitizenDwayne
03-15-2013, 09:22 PM

:lol at ever trying to defend Cousins

Thread
03-15-2013, 09:33 PM
^It was difficult, but, Elliott is such a sissy. He's a white man in a black man's body and he's homosexual.

He's a good time Charley. I wish Cousins woulda got to him before they could get it stopped and pulverized him.

AussieFanKurt
03-15-2013, 09:56 PM
I would rank him as 'mild' compared to guys like Heinsohn, tbh

anyone is mild next to him

Thread
03-15-2013, 10:13 PM
^But, Heinsohn is just an asshole. Elliott is calculating and mean spirited. He's lucky that Cousins didn't snap his fuckin' neck.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-15-2013, 10:31 PM
Sean is a homer, but he was spot on in the OKC game - many ticky-tack calls went to OKC which weren't going to the Spurs.

As for announcers around the league, my favourites are the Clippers guys and Joel Meyers in NO.

TheyCallMePro
03-16-2013, 01:14 AM
You see for me, I WANT homer local announcers. Can you imagine if ****** and Land sounded like robots and showed no enthusiasm when our team was playing good? Hell there's a reason Gus Johnson and Dick Vitale are great announcers. They CARE. They show the same kind of passion that the fans watching feel. I freaking love ******. Other fans should know that this is the SPURS local broadcast. Not some ESPN or TNT neutral broadcasting team that is so boring it's hard to watch despite the better quality of the broadcast.

TheyCallMePro
03-16-2013, 01:15 AM
Don't mean to double post, but why is it when I say S.E.A.N E.L.L.I.O.T the post shows ******. Weird.

chapnis
03-16-2013, 01:27 AM
Don't mean to double post, but why is it when I say S.E.A.N E.L.L.I.O.T the post shows ******. Weird.

Erm... Elliott.

exstatic
03-16-2013, 09:45 AM
Sean's initial call is always homerific. However, on reviews, he will correct his take, unlike the REAL homer announcers. Tommy Heinsohn, I'm talking to you, you blind bat.

Sean also goes out of his way to complement players and good plays from the other team.

exstatic
03-16-2013, 09:46 AM

Misspelling Sean's last name is a particular peeve of the forum owners. There are two t's.

exstatic
03-16-2013, 09:48 AM
^But, Heinsohn is just an asshole. Elliott is calculating and mean spirited. He's lucky that Cousins didn't snap his fuckin' neck.

Actually, Cousins is lucky. There's not a lot of demand for 6'11" garbage men, the only career that would be left to him if he attacked an announcer.

exstatic
03-16-2013, 09:51 AM

Kind of like you hiding behind a troll ID?

foodie2
03-16-2013, 01:26 PM
But the worst--the WORST--is Andrew fucking Monaco.

TheyCallMePro
03-16-2013, 02:27 PM
Oh two t's? Okay now let me try it: Sean Elliott Now the wrong way...: Sean ******

Biggems
03-16-2013, 04:43 PM
Isn't Sean on the Spurs payroll? He is being paid by the team to announce their televised games. Not only this, but he was drafted by and played most of his career with the Spurs. He won his only title with the Spurs. He is going to forever be a Spurs homer. That being said, as homerisitic as he is, he does call out the Spurs players quite a bit. He also does quite a bit of praising of opposing players, coaches, cities, and fans.

I find Sean to be highly entertaining and far less of a homer than the Suns and Celtics announcers.

Thread
03-16-2013, 04:55 PM
Kind of like you hiding behind a troll ID?

I don't do troll ID's.

It's my religion.

Thread
03-16-2013, 04:57 PM
Actually, Cousins is lucky. There's not a lot of demand for 6'11" garbage men, the only career that would be left to him if he attacked an announcer.

I'd sacrifice Cousins to garner the sight of him building a shoestore in Elliott's ass.