View Full Version : 2013 Free Agent: J.J. Redick

Bruno
03-14-2013, 05:33 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_jj_redick.jpg
Born: Jun 24, 1984
Height: 6-4 / 1.93
Weight: 190 lbs. / 86.2 kg.
Prior to NBA / Country: Duke / USA

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/jj_redick/career_stats.html)

Baam
06-22-2013, 11:55 AM
Bump. We have the cap space to get him.

benefactor
06-22-2013, 12:00 PM
For the money the Spurs would spend on him, I'd rather see them go after Tyreke Evans.

Baam
06-22-2013, 12:08 PM
I'd be ok with it if Chip likes Evans but Redick is a better shooter tho so less upside but better fit with TP. Also he's UFA while Evans is RFA.

yavozerb
06-22-2013, 12:28 PM
I think Evans is a reach as a RFA and will simply cost too much for the Spurs for the Kings not to match an offer. Redick on the other hand is an interesting FA who just might fit like a glove in the spurs offense and is not a huge defensive liability.

benefactor
06-22-2013, 12:32 PM
Redick will want close to the same money at Evans as he is 29 and this is probably his last shot at a decent sized contract. For that money I will take the guy that is five years younger and more versatile. Redick has become a better defender but it's probably a wash between him and Evans tbh.

yavozerb
06-22-2013, 12:38 PM
Difference is one player is a RFA and can fall back on his current team for a high priced contract in a bidding war and the other cannot. Reddick in my opinion can be had for 6-8 mil per year. Evans will run 10+ since the kings can counter on any offer and other teams know this.

benefactor
06-22-2013, 12:46 PM
I think it's probably closer to 8 million per year for him...and if that's the case I'll pass. The Spurs are headed to rebuild mode in the next couple seasons and I'd rather not see them with a somewhat limited SG on the roster that is on the wrong side of 30 getting eating valuable cap space with his contract.

Chinook
06-22-2013, 01:03 PM
Hell no to Redick. I thought we all figured out that he's not really that good of a player. Do people realize that he wouldn't have been any better than Neal in the Finals?

benefactor
06-22-2013, 01:06 PM
I don't think he would have been that bad, but I don't think he's worth what he will look to earn this offseason.

yavozerb
06-22-2013, 01:07 PM
Hell no to Redick. I thought we all figured out that he's not really that good of a player. Do people realize that he wouldn't have been any better than Neal in the Finals?

I am by no means a Redick fan, but in no way should he be compared to Neal. Redick Is a much better all around player than Neal.

Chinook
06-22-2013, 01:15 PM
I am by no means a Redick fan, but in no way should he be compared to Neal. Redick Is a much better all around player than Neal.

He's about the same as Neal in the playoffs (13/2/3 per 36 for Redick and 15/4/2 for Neal) first off. Second off, I mean that he wasn't going to get any more open in the Finals than Neal was, and he's not any better at hitting contested shots. He's also pretty anti-clutch.

I'm not saying he's a bad player, but I am saying that he's not what the team needs to the point that they should spend a lot of money to bring him in. Having a lack of undersized shooters wasn't the problem against the Heat.

Baam
06-22-2013, 01:30 PM
Not having a good backup point/combo guard was a problem, maybe even the biggest one, but I'm not sure Redick is the answer, maybe Leonard simply plays point forward when TP is on the bench but his handles are pretty suspect so Idk. Also he can pass well and that's important on his team.

Baam
06-22-2013, 01:32 PM
The combination of Tyreke Evans and the current Manu would kinda mess up the spacing.

Chinook
06-22-2013, 01:43 PM
Not having a good backup point/combo guard was a problem, maybe even the biggest one, but I'm not sure Redick is the answer, maybe Leonard simply plays point forward when TP is on the bench but his handles are pretty suspect so Idk. Also he can pass well and that's important on his team.

Redick is not a combo-guard; he's an undersized two-guard. That's like saying Blair is a combo-forward. The Spurs desperately needed a backup point-guard like TJ Ford. And even though I like Joseph, I'd be for the team trying to find a good vet to take the reigns for next season. But that's not the same thing as paying a lot of money for a short guard who's only strong attributes would have been pretty useless in the Finals.

The combination of Tyreke Evans and the current Manu would kinda mess up the spacing.

It'd be fine if the Spurs get shooters to play the three and four. Ginobili isn't a bad three-point shooter; he just takes a lot of silly step-back shots. Having Evans to run the offense through would let him spot up more, which would force closeouts, which would let him drive past his man. Evans himself isn't a horrible shooter, either, but he could definitely use some help.

More importantly, his scoring would really help the bench.

CGD
06-22-2013, 02:25 PM
Spurs need a creator. Sure Evans isn't the shooter Redick is, but he's capable of getting his own shot off the drible and facilitating. Issue with Evans is that sactown isn't looking to shred salary in the hopes of selling the team anymore, and I suspect they match an offer upto 10m.

CGD
06-22-2013, 02:30 PM
Evans himself isn't a horrible shooter, either, but he could definitely use some help. More importantly, his scoring would really help the bench.

True, in fact in the past three years his fg% has actually gone up each year. He's just shooting less.

Bruno
06-22-2013, 04:56 PM
Redick would be a good fit.

Now, if Manu is back, which is likely, I really don't want Spurs throwing a lot of money on a perimeter player. They should just sign a cheap backup SF like Casspi. With Parker, Leonard, Green, Ginobili, Jospeh, De Colo and Casspi, Spurs will have way enough quality and quantity on the perimeter.

The money/resources should be spend on getting a bigman.

TD 21
06-22-2013, 06:33 PM
Redick would not be a good fit. For a guy who despises Neal and wants the logjam at guard alleviated, I'm not sure why you think he would be. Sure, he's slightly better than a healthy Neal, but he's not worth the difference in what they're likely to command.

Besides, the same problems they have with Neal, they'd have with him. Against the good defensive, that possess elite athleticism, he and Ginobili wouldn't work as PG's in tandem and he obviously can't defend PG's, either.

If they want that type of player, then Dunleavy, who's more cost effective and fills a positional need, makes more sense.

cdcast
06-23-2013, 01:47 AM
Reddick lives in Austin, he might consider a cheaper deal to stay closer to home.

BackHome
06-23-2013, 08:03 PM
Redick would be a good fit.

Now, if Manu is back, which is likely, I really don't want Spurs throwing a lot of money on a perimeter player. They should just sign a cheap backup SF like Casspi. With Parker, Leonard, Green, Ginobili, Jospeh, De Colo and Casspi, Spurs will have way enough quality and quantity on the perimeter.

The money/resources should be spend on getting a bigman.

Bruno what bigman do you think would help the team and do you see any international players at Center or PF that would help us?

spurraider21
06-23-2013, 09:27 PM
think Neal with better defense

Chinook
06-23-2013, 09:36 PM

Otherwise known as someone who wouldn't make the Spurs any better.

exstatic
06-24-2013, 06:56 AM

No, probably worse.

Neal wasn't that good on offense during the playoffs, either, supposedly his strength.

spursince#99
06-25-2013, 04:04 AM
No. Hell no. Thank almighty God you guys aren't general managers.