View Full Version : 2013 Free Agent: Tyreke Evans

Bruno
03-14-2013, 08:41 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_tyreke_evans.jpg
Born: Sep 19, 1989
Height: 6-6 / 1.98
Weight: 220 lbs. / 99.8 kg.
Prior to NBA / Country: Memphis / USA

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/tyreke_evans/career_stats.html)

RFA

exstatic
03-14-2013, 09:09 PM
Bounced back to a level not seen since his rookie year. If Manu hangs them up, I'd like to see them go hard after him.

CGD
03-17-2013, 11:26 AM
Completely forgot about this guy. Sactown, the hell that is... I'd be interested for the right price.

elemento
03-17-2013, 01:46 PM
Evans is a waste of talent in SAC. That franchise is a mess.

I have no doubt in my mind that Evans will flourish playing for a better coach/franchise. He has amazing ball-handling skills and he is absolutely elite finishing at the rim. I don't know if someone can fix that broken JS, but he is still young (23y/o).

Considering the massive offer PHX made for Gordon and how desperate they are to find a starting material SG, It wouldn't be a surprise if they try to steal Evans from SAC with a big offer.

ace3g
03-17-2013, 02:38 PM
Great versatility, can play multiple positions; after Spurs decide on $ for Manu and Splitter; Evans should be one of their top targets. Can't hurt to have another ball handler on the team and if you need a half court shot, he is near to the top of the list.

I wonder what direction Spurs will go in the off season; add another SG/SF or PF/C route?

Cklbmk
05-13-2013, 07:03 PM
I'd sign him instead of the Manu I've been seeing lately.

Captivus
05-13-2013, 10:24 PM
For some reason I don't like his attitude..maybe its just me.
OnTopic, I like him, not sure if he can be regular.

exstatic
05-15-2013, 11:25 PM
For some reason I don't like his attitude..maybe its just me.
OnTopic, I like him, not sure if he can be regular.

You're joking, right? He averaged 20/5/5 as a ROOKIE.

Captivus
05-16-2013, 07:45 AM
You're joking, right? He averaged 20/5/5 as a ROOKIE.

I meant that he looks to me like someone who will not perform when we need him. Thats what I meant...I think I had just saw an entire game and he sucked...I was probably not objective with that comment.

How much money do you think the Spurs will need to get him? $8 per year?

exstatic
05-16-2013, 09:21 PM
I meant that he looks to me like someone who will not perform when we need him. Thats what I meant...I think I had just saw an entire game and he sucked...I was probably not objective with that comment.

How much money do you think the Spurs will need to get him? $8 per year?

Not sure. He's restricted, so that skews the market a bit.

cjw
05-17-2013, 12:52 AM
Putting in an offer sheet on him would lock up cap space for 72 (?) hours and preclude a team from making other offers, which is why you see so few guys get bid on in RFA. I imagine someone bids here and Sacramento matches unless it's a ridiculous amount of money. Heck, the Clippers matched that awful DeAndre Jordan deal and put themselves in cap hell. Imagine if he had gone to GS. They'd probably still have Monta stunting Curry and Thompson's growth.

DesignatedT
05-17-2013, 02:57 AM
If the Spurs offer you'd better believe Sacramento would match. Just because its the Spurs.

PBEEZY
05-17-2013, 10:54 AM
He's an RFA so if he gets paid around what he deserves or below, Kings will match and if he gets paid more than he deserves( which there is a high probabilty) I doubt we could afford or would want him.

I could see the Suns or Mavs(if they strike out on CP3/D12) offering him a loaded contract, that the Kings might not want to match.

Mal
05-17-2013, 11:06 AM
He's an RFA so if he gets paid around what he deserves or below, Kings will match and if he gets paid more than he deserves( which there is a high probabilty) I doubt we could afford or would want him.

I could see the Suns or Mavs(if they strike out on CP3/D12) offering him a loaded contract, that the Kings might not want to match.

Kings dont necessary have to match offer for Evans. If new owners decided to tank for next season, with heavy loaded FA and draft paying Evans dont make sense at all.

Or they could draft Burke/McLemore and tank for Wiggins and other guys in 2014.

PBEEZY
05-17-2013, 11:13 AM
Kings dont necessary have to match offer for Evans. If new owners decided to tank for next season, with heavy loaded FA and draft paying Evans dont make sense at all.

Or they could draft Burke/McLemore and tank for Wiggins and other guys in 2014.

They could still tank with Evans, they've been doing it for the past couple of years already. If Evans signs a contract within the 8-10 million a year range, I gurantee they match. It would be stupid not to, as they can always trade him later anyways, similar to what the Nuggets did with Nene(Except he was overpaid rather than underpaid).

exstatic
05-17-2013, 07:52 PM
They could still tank with Evans, they've been doing it for the past couple of years already. If Evans signs a contract within the 8-10 million a year range, I gurantee they match. It would be stupid not to, as they can always trade him later anyways, similar to what the Nuggets did with Nene(Except he was overpaid rather than underpaid).

They're going to have a hard time getting someone to take Evans on a $10M contract next summer if they want to play the FA game. 2014 is the summer of LeBron.

PBEEZY
05-17-2013, 08:14 PM
They're going to have a hard time getting someone to take Evans on a $10M contract next summer if they want to play the FA game. 2014 is the summer of LeBron.

You're under-rating how over-rated NBA players can be, 10 mill 4 year contract is quite reasonable for Evans. He hasn't been 20 5 & 5 since his rookie year but he had a bounce back season last year. He's only 23, you fix his broken jumpshot ( Imagine if he worked out with Chip for an offseason) and suddenly you got a budding star on your hands.

yavozerb
05-17-2013, 08:40 PM
You're under-rating how over-rated NBA players can be, 10 mill 4 year contract is quite reasonable for Evans. He hasn't been 20 5 & 5 since his rookie year but he had a bounce back season last year. He's only 23, you fix his broken jumpshot ( Imagine if he worked out with Chip for an offseason) and suddenly you got a budding star on your hands.

I dont think you give a "broken" player 10 mil to see if he can be fixed. Let someone else fix him up on there dime.

exstatic
05-17-2013, 09:58 PM

You're under-rating how stiff the penalties for the luxury tax that kick in this summer are. Teams over the tax cannot except players in a sign and trade. Thin about that one for a bit.

Veteran players, who in the past would have gotten all or a chunk of the MLE, sat on the sidelines waiting for minimum offers this year. Year three players were allowed to test the restricted market without being offered a big extension. Teams cut bait with year two players who didn't make the nut.

It's a new day in the NBA. A clean cap sheet will be come the second most important thing to actual talent on the roster.

PBEEZY
05-17-2013, 10:33 PM
You're under-rating how stiff the penalties for the luxury tax that kick in this summer are. Teams over the tax cannot except players in a sign and trade. Thin about that one for a bit.

Veteran players, who in the past would have gotten all or a chunk of the MLE, sat on the sidelines waiting for minimum offers this year. Year three players were allowed to test the restricted market without being offered a big extension. Teams cut bait with year two players who didn't make the nut.

It's a new day in the NBA. A clean cap sheet will be come the second most important thing to actual talent on the roster.

I guess we will have to wait and revisit this thread after he's signed in the offseason then :)

Chinook
05-18-2013, 02:59 AM
I'd rather draft a two-guard to develop over the next couple of seasons than spend cap on one.

The Spurs have their starter locked down, and Ginobili is going to eat first on the bench. A good scoring guard is needed for the bench, but they don't figure to get a lot of minutes. Evans just wouldn't be worth more than $3-4 Million a year to the Spurs, and even that is asking a lot.

exstatic
05-18-2013, 06:33 AM
I'd rather draft a two-guard to develop over the next couple of seasons than spend cap on one.

The Spurs have their starter locked down, and Ginobili is going to eat first on the bench. A good scoring guard is needed for the bench, but they don't figure to get a lot of minutes. Evans just wouldn't be worth more than $3-4 Million a year to the Spurs, and even that is asking a lot.

Danny Green, at $3 Mil and change, immediately becomes your backup SF. You're also assuming Ginobili wants to return. I don't think that's a lock. He's really struggled with injuries the last two seasons, more than ever before. Both years he's entered the playoffs not in game shape and rusty as hell.

Chinook
05-18-2013, 07:45 AM
Danny Green, at $3 Mil and change, immediately becomes your backup SF. You're also assuming Ginobili wants to return. I don't think that's a lock. He's really struggled with injuries the last two seasons, more than ever before. Both years he's entered the playoffs not in game shape and rusty as hell.

If Ginobili leaves, the Spurs suddenly have more money to sign free agents. That's a completely different scenario in which Evans' value might rise to about $7-8 Million for the team. Just like if Splitter leaves in free agency, getting another center all the sudden becomes a priority.

And no, I don't think you push Green to the bench for Tyreke Evans. Evans isn't a good fit for the starting lineup and would be much better served for the bench, first off. Secondly, the way Green's playing right now, I don't look at the starting two spot as something that can be upgraded very easily. He's been a near-perfect fit for Parker, and Green's development and his and Parker's increasing chemistry suggest that that fit will get even better with time. Moving him to back up Leonard cuts his minutes and forces him to guard bigger players, which reduces his effectiveness. It also would make Green switching onto point-guards more challenging to the rotation. I don't think Evans starting is worth the defensive decline it would cost.

eDizzle20
05-18-2013, 08:32 AM
I think Tyreke Evans is a decent player. He shot pretty well this past season. However, I don't anything happening with him and the Spurs. It is almost certain that Manu will re-sign.

SenorSpur
05-18-2013, 09:14 AM
Stay away.

100%duncan
05-18-2013, 10:14 AM
If Manu hangs it up, why not tbh. We can still be in the playoff hunt and at the same time another player for the future.

Master splitter
06-21-2013, 01:11 PM
Spurs new six man

TheGoldStandard
06-21-2013, 01:37 PM
Tyreke would actually flourish here with good coaching and players around him that can score. He doesn't need to bring up the ball but can and can create his own shot, has length and will rebound and play defense. Yes on all counts. Still young enough to coach up and learn the system.

CGD
06-21-2013, 02:20 PM
I've been asking for him for a while now. Spurs need to start looking for another creator to groom behind Manu, and this guy fits the bill I think.
QO is right below $7M, which is problematic since I suspect Sactown will likely match anything below 8M now that they arent trying to sell the team.

Spurious
06-21-2013, 05:10 PM
Seems that when you're in the Spurs position, regarding the draft and historical attractiveness (or lack thereof) to big-name free agents, you have to take on some risk. Might as well be with guys whose upside is really high. I perceive that to be the case with Evans.

yavozerb
06-21-2013, 05:38 PM
Cannot see the spurs spending that kind of $ on a player like Evans who has underachieved his entire career.

TheGoldStandard
06-21-2013, 06:44 PM
His upside is good, hard to see what kind of talent someone really has when they have spent there career at the bottom with nobody else to make you better.

exstatic
06-21-2013, 09:52 PM
Cannot see the spurs spending that kind of $ on a player like Evans who has underachieved his entire career.

Dude...his rookie year was 20/5/5. That's not underachieving by ANY standard. MJ did that. That's the kind of company he's in. A PER of 18 is considered a borderline All Star. He did that as a rookie, and last year in year 4.

yavozerb
06-21-2013, 10:08 PM
Dude...his rookie year was 20/5/5. That's not underachieving by ANY standard. MJ did that. That's the kind of company he's in. A PER of 18 is considered a borderline All Star. He did that as a rookie, and last year in year 4.

dude, you do realize his numbers have declined every year since his rookie year..Spurs cannot have a sg who shoots on average for his career 28% on 3pt shots. Since you gave me 20/5/5 stats his rookie year but neglected to post hus numbers from the past season I will do it for you: 15/4/3 (not bad). The kid has been figured out by the NBA on how to play him and has not put in the time to increase his skills which is needed at the NBA level. Not worth the 8+ mil it would probably cost to get him.

RD2191
06-21-2013, 10:09 PM
Brought this up some months ago and people just laughed at me.

exstatic
06-21-2013, 10:19 PM
dude, you do realize his numbers have declined every year since his rookie year..Spurs cannot have a sg who shoots on average for his career 28% on 3pt shots. Since you gave me 20/5/5 stats his rookie year but neglected to post hus numbers from the past season I will do it for you: 15/4/3 (not bad). The kid has been figured out by the NBA on how to play him and has not put in the time to increase his skills which is needed at the NBA level. Not worth the 8+ mil it would probably cost to get him.

Sacramento is stupid, and they've had like 3 coaches in his 4 years. NOT the ideal developmental environment. He's not a bad egg like Cousins, and could do well here. If Chip can teach Kawhi to shoot 37% from the NBA line, he can fix Evans' shot.

Chinook
06-21-2013, 10:32 PM

His per36 numbers have actually been pretty consistent, which is what you want from a bench player. He fell off a bit after his rookie year, but he's slowly bounced back, and advanced stats say he's better than he's ever been. If Pop thinks he's a good fit for his system and can learn to shoot better, then $8 Million is not too much for him. The way I see if, if he and Ginobili can split Manu's salary from this season for next season, the Spurs will have gotten their money's worth.

CGD
06-21-2013, 11:51 PM
The way I see if, if he and Ginobili can split Manu's salary from this season for next season, the Spurs will have gotten their money's worth.

:tu
This is a very good way to look at it. Spurs are filing a roll (SG creator) for a price. Whether its one or two players who cares, so long as you have minutes for them both.

yavozerb
06-22-2013, 08:10 AM
His per36 numbers have actually been pretty consistent, which is what you want from a bench player. He fell off a bit after his rookie year, but he's slowly bounced back, and advanced stats say he's better than he's ever been. If Pop thinks he's a good fit for his system and can learn to shoot better, then $8 Million is not too much for him. The way I see if, if he and Ginobili can split Manu's salary from this season for next season, the Spurs will have gotten their money's worth.

No way the Kings let him go for nothing any in my opinion could match any offer the spurs throw his way.

exstatic
06-22-2013, 08:41 AM
No way the Kings let him go for nothing any in my opinion could match any offer the spurs throw his way.

I would say it would depend on who they draft. It would make no sense for them to pay Evans big money to stand in the way of a young wing player's development for 4 or 5 years.

benefactor
06-22-2013, 11:54 AM
Goodbye Manu...hello Tyreke.

Mr Bones
06-22-2013, 12:27 PM
I like Tyreke because he also plays defense, but there are definitely some red flags. It's strange that after winning rookie of the year, his MPG have decreased 3 years in a row, and that's on a losing team that is desperately in need of every quality minute it can get. Still, his numbers are similar to Andre Iguodala's, and his PER is actually higher. I really don't know his personality at all, so I wonder if the "come to San Antonio and be a great 6th man like Manu Ginobili" pitch would work... It seems quite a few teams will offer him more than the Spurs could, and 95% of the time, that's what wins out, especially for young players... Iguodala made over $14 mil last year, so I'd be surprised to see Tyreke (and his agent) agree to anything in the range of 8 mil.

yavozerb
06-22-2013, 12:33 PM
Goodbye Manu...hello Tyreke.

Not going to happen..Too much $ for him. Kings not going to let him go for cheap. I said 8 mil. earlier but its going to take 10+ mil to get it done and I just dont see the spurs at that position forking over that much $.

benefactor
06-22-2013, 12:33 PM
Sacramento are idiots...this can't be stated enough in this thread.

yavozerb
06-22-2013, 12:40 PM
I do agree with you on this, but with new ownership comes new ideas on how to run a team. Kings could on there way back, only time will tell and I cannot imagine Evans not being a part of there plan at age 23.

benefactor
06-22-2013, 12:40 PM
Not going to happen..Too much $ for him. Kings not going to let him go for cheap. I said 8 mil. earlier but its going to take 10+ mil to get it done and I just dont see the spurs at that position forking over that much $.
8 million per will get it done. The Kings are already paying that for Marcus Thornton. I don't see them locking up 8 million more of what is now valuable cap space for Evans.

yavozerb
06-22-2013, 12:44 PM
8 million per will get it done. The Kings are already paying that for Marcus Thornton. I don't see them locking up 8 million more of what is now valuable cap space for Evans.

If they could get Evans for 8 mil. I would be a very happy spurs fan. With that said, I think you underestimate his value. Look at how the Rockets signed there FA's last summer with back loaded contracts. Would not suprise to see someone do this again for a player like Evans.

benefactor
06-22-2013, 12:47 PM
One name...Daryl Morey.

objective
06-22-2013, 01:03 PM
no, the Kings aren't letting Evans go for 8 million.

Hell, they could be in a position to have to spend a couple of million on someone just to hit the salary floor if they let Evans walk should they rescind QOs to Douglas or Johnson, or instead Amnesty Salmons.

Evans' Qualifying Offer itself is 6.9 million, if they're willing to spend 7 million on him just to match offers, they'll spend 8.

Chinook
06-22-2013, 01:51 PM
If they could get Evans for 8 mil. I would be a very happy spurs fan. With that said, I think you underestimate his value. Look at how the Rockets signed there FA's last summer with back loaded contracts. Would not suprise to see someone do this again for a player like Evans.

They can't do that with Evans. The Arenas rule forced/allowed the Rockets to make that type of contract offer. Evans doesn't fall under that rule, so whoever signs him has to do so under a straight deal with fixed increases/decreases.

Chinook
06-22-2013, 01:54 PM
The Kings probably won't let him go for free, but would they do so for an asset or two? Probably. He doesn't really fit with that team anymore, and they probably could use that money on bringing in a vet or two. They have enough young prospects on that team, and they've already started moving them.

Mr Bones
06-22-2013, 03:48 PM
Sacramento are idiots...this can't be stated enough in this thread.

I agree. That's why they'll be willing to pay Tyreke millions more per year than the Spurs.

CitizenDwayne
06-22-2013, 07:14 PM
I can see Evans flourishing under Pop, and I don't think the chances of this happening are as far-fetched as some seem to think. Would really be an interesting fit. Hope the FO gives it some serious thought.

Chomag
06-22-2013, 07:22 PM
Best bet would be for sac to do a sign and trade with us but the chances of that I think are pretty slim as well.

Sdayi135
06-22-2013, 07:37 PM
Look at SACTO's roster and FO moves post C-Webb years....tells you how incompentent they are. I wouldn't think they would be THAT crazy to match any offer thrown at Evans given they have enough wing players as it is....but than again...they were crazy enough to draft DeMarcus Cousins...because of his "talent". As many said, Evans would do damn well under Pop...and I would like to take a shot....but with him being restricted...who knows.

ace3g
06-22-2013, 07:56 PM
He has been one of my top FAs for a while now because of his versatility, size, and ability to handle the ball.

He loves using the euro step to get to the basket.

CGD
06-22-2013, 09:46 PM
Hoops hype so take it for what it is, but here is an interesting chronology: http://hoopshype.com/rumors/tag/tyreke_evans

According to this it sounds like Sactown make make a play for Ellis, which may have an impact of whether they sign Evans.

Chinook
06-22-2013, 10:34 PM
Just the fact that Sacramento is even thinking about signing another two-guard with Evans, Freddette and Thornton already shows they are not sold on giving Tyreke a huge deal. I think the Spurs should swoop in a offer some compensation (a pick or two or some rights to players like Hanga) to agree to a sign-and-trade before the market settles down. That'd be my top priority this off-season.

Chinook
06-22-2013, 10:55 PM
Here are some highlights from a game this season against the Bulls:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdFav4zvMfk

I have to say, I'd be really excited if the Spurs were to get him. He looks like he has a lot of physical gifts, and he seems willing to play both sides of the court. He and Leonard (and Green) would be great building blocks for the future.

look_at_g_shred
06-22-2013, 11:36 PM
Nice highlights! He really is Manu-esque. Under our system I bet he can flourish.

Cklbmk
06-23-2013, 12:58 AM
I don't see what we could trade for him. Cory Joseph, and 2 1sts? Seems low still. Maybe a 3 team deal but I'm having a hard time seeing a deal that doesn't involve Green.

DesignatedT
06-23-2013, 01:06 AM
The Kings might not match a 8M a yr offer if it were from some other franchise but if they see the Spurs willing to commit that kind of money to Evans than they probably re-think their strategy and match it.

objective
06-23-2013, 02:22 AM
the Qualifying offer for Evans is 6.927.

A 4/32 deal has a first year salary of a little less than 7.75.

Why on earth would Sacramento not match such a small offer?

And with regards to Sacramento's people in charge being too dumb to know what they have, hardly. They fired the old GM. They fired the old VP of player personnel, the same guy who does tv for them. They fired the coach. They fired every assistant coach. New ownership. New GM. New assistant GM. New coach. New assistants.

I'm guessing the bidding would start at 10 and could easily go up as desperate teams with capspace throw money his way (like Detroit or Atlanta).

CGD
06-23-2013, 09:24 AM
the Qualifying offer for Evans is 6.927.

A 4/32 deal has a first year salary of a little less than 7.75.

Why on earth would Sacramento not match such a small offer?

And with regards to Sacramento's people in charge being too dumb to know what they have, hardly. They fired the old GM. They fired the old VP of player personnel, the same guy who does tv for them. They fired the coach. They fired every assistant coach. New ownership. New GM. New assistant GM. New coach. New assistants.

I'm guessing the bidding would start at 10 and could easily go up as desperate teams with capspace throw money his way (like Detroit or Atlanta).

I hear you. In fact when I first started thinking about this guy as an option several months ago, the Kings had just completed the seemingly irrational Robinson trade. It seemed like a top priority was to shed salary in anticipation for a sale to Seattle to make the purchase move attractive. That's no longer there.

That said I'm not convinced Evans is in there plans long term. He hasn't shown growth under their system since his rookie year, they're flirting with Ellis (another tweener), and they need to consider developing more recent draft selection like BYU kid and Thomas at those positions.

As suggested above perhaps a sign and trade is the way to go. I too don't see the spurs going north of 9m for a bench player, who still needs to be developed in many ways. Your point about Detroit and Atlanta is also well taken.

benefactor
06-23-2013, 09:42 AM
It's all really going to depend on the Monta Ellis situation. If Malone convinces management to sign him then it would create a pretty big logjam at the wing and they could decide to let Evans go. That wouldn't be the most intelligent thing to do imo, but it's not highly unlikely either.

benefactor
06-23-2013, 09:44 AM
The more I think about it...10 million a season really isn't unreasonable for a kid as talented as Evans. I don't know if that something the Spurs would do even if Manu retired, but hell...look at what the did with RJ.

raybies
06-23-2013, 10:50 AM
I'm not familiar with his skill set but can he drive, handle, play pick n roll, shoot, and play d? If so I say yes.

Would rather have a guy that can be counted on as a playoff performer. This guy hasn't been and we risk a learning curve, but he does have all star potential doesn't he and the system does have a way of bringing out more in players.

That said the kings do have cap space so it seems highly unlikely that we get him.

szkorhetz
06-23-2013, 11:00 AM
How the hell would he fit our system, knowing he can't shoot the three?

Baam
06-23-2013, 11:12 AM
How the hell would he fit our system, knowing he can't shoot the three?

To me that's a big question mark as well. He'd have 15min as the backup point guard but I'm not sure he would be a great fit the other 15min a game.

Also what you you do with Manu next year exactly?

Mr Bones
06-23-2013, 12:13 PM
I can't for the life of me understand why Monta Ellis, being a free agent, would even consider playing for Sacramento, a team in complete turmoil whose best player has huge behavioral/maturity issues.... There are very few things you can do in this world with $60 million that you can't also do with $50 million.

chrhawk
06-23-2013, 12:15 PM
Would love to have him. But it looks more and more likely that Ginobili comes back next season. So what would Evans' role be? A Leonard-Evans-Parker lineup would be terrible spacing wise. So he'd be the primary ball-handler off the bench and I'm not sure how often he would be in the closing lineup due to the spacing issue. And what do you do with Joseph and De Colo?

Evans coming to the Spurs depends on three things. Is he in the Kings future plans? Can the Spurs fix his jumpshot? And would Evans be okay coming off the bench in SA?

raybies
06-23-2013, 01:03 PM
Well when you put it like that it sounds very unlikely.

CGD
06-23-2013, 01:46 PM
Would love to have him. But it looks more and more likely that Ginobili comes back next season. So what would Evans' role be? A Leonard-Evans-Parker lineup would be terrible spacing wise. So he'd be the primary ball-handler off the bench and I'm not sure how often he would be in the closing lineup due to the spacing issue. And what do you do with Joseph and De Colo?

Evans coming to the Spurs depends on three things. Is he in the Kings future plans? Can the Spurs fix his jumpshot? And would Evans be okay coming off the bench in SA?

i think the better question , is what will manus role be if he comes back? I get the spacing issues but that's not what the team needs as they start thinking about replacing their stars. It needs a creator now. Shooting is only as good as the creators findin them.

spursince#99
06-23-2013, 02:07 PM
I'd rather have Jarrett Jack

Chinook
06-23-2013, 03:35 PM
i think the better question , is what will manus role be if he comes back? I get the spacing issues but that's not what the team needs as they start thinking about replacing their stars. It needs a creator now. Shooting is only as good as the creators findin them.

I think that Ginobili may end up moving to the starting lineup. He's only going to get less effective as the bench's primary creator, and he can space and defend well enough to make up for most of what Danny Green brings. Evans would then be the sixth man and back-up two-guard. Green would be the backup three (which exstatic suggested a while back). I have my reservations about moving Green down to such a small role, but he should still get some big minutes. Joseph or De Colo would be the point-guard, Diaw the power-forward and Baynes the center.

Depending on Evans' ability to be the primary creator, he might get the nod as the backup combo-guard. In that case, Green can guard the backup points while Evans can just play the one offense and two on defense. Or if Evans can defend ones, then Ginobili might be able to stay at the two and the starting lineup can remain as it is. Then, some player that the Spurs sign cheaply to play the three (like Aminu) can join Diaw and Baynes in the front court. Or Ginobili might end up moving to the three full time, and Evans could play the two and Joseph or De Colo could play the one. [A De Colo, Evans and Ginobili perimeter attack would be very versatile, since they're about about the same size and can all at least get away with playing three positions.]

If Splitter goes elsewhere, the Spurs probably acquire an actual power-forward like Millsap, and that could change the rotation a bit. Regardless, Evans would still be able to fit.

Chinook
06-23-2013, 03:49 PM
Also, according to 82games.com, Evans has actually been pretty successful playing the three over the course of his entire career (posting PERs of 17.2, 16.2, 17.0 and 16.6). He's not the idea backup to Leonard, but he's certainly good enough to get playing time at small-forward, especially in small-ball lineups.

CGD
06-23-2013, 05:40 PM
Eventually he should play the starting SG, but next year would be a sort of bridge year if Manu resigns. Playin him at the backup SF should work, though, if that's the case the spurs should also sign a pure cheap SF like Aminu who can also play small ball 4. If they can get a shooter like dunlevey the better, especially if Bonner is moved, to address the aforementioned possible lose in outside shooting if Neal/bonner leave.

ernest787
06-23-2013, 05:45 PM
Evans would be interesting but its not going to happen.

I expect the same team back with a couple small FAs to add depth.

exstatic
06-23-2013, 07:54 PM
I'd rather have Jarrett Jack

He's a chucker. Better to have someone who can legitimately play 3 positions than an undersized SG.

spurraider21
06-23-2013, 09:26 PM
he's the best fit out there to take over the old Manu role as Ginobili declines and takes a more specialized role. Evans is my favorite possible FA target

ezau
06-24-2013, 04:41 AM
Evans is an excellent creator and ballhandler. With Manu's decline, Evans is perfect for the Spurs next season.

Mal
06-24-2013, 05:21 AM
Evans is an excellent creator and ballhandler. With Manu's decline, Evans is perfect for the Spurs next season.

Smallball or benching Green ?

ffadicted
06-24-2013, 10:36 AM
Would be a great fit, impossible to get imo, sactown won't just let him go

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-24-2013, 10:56 AM
Smallball or benching Green ?

Bench Green. He can still have minutes with the starting rotation and get his shots. No big deal.

da_suns_fan
06-24-2013, 03:38 PM
I think Evans is going to deal close to 4/50 on the open market. He really had a nice year last year.

CGD
06-24-2013, 06:43 PM
I think Evans is going to deal close to 4/50 on the open market. He really had a nice year last year.

Idk man, that more than Nic Batum got last year and that was before the new CBA contract paradigm shifted. Do you think he's 2m a year better than Batum even not considering the new CBA? I say 4/40.

Chinook
06-24-2013, 07:12 PM
It wasn't THAT nice. But I could see it, too. Hell the last time teams had this much cap space, Rudy Gay got $86 Million, and Joe Johnson got $120 Million. I'm hoping more for a $40M/4 deal, though. I think he'd be well worth it in the right system.

Mal
06-25-2013, 02:34 AM
Sacramento would match 40/4. Unless they are really done with him or they draft Otto Porter, Victor Oladipo or Caldwell-Pope

InK
06-25-2013, 03:25 AM
I wouldn't mind overpaying for a versatile player like this. Going small ball while still having an excellent defensive squad (with Green), or having 3 guys on the court who can handle the ball well( with Manu) is an interesting prospect. And i think Tyreke's game translates well to playoff basketball, i really don't see any player the Spurs could possible get in the backcourt that would help them improve more. And when Timmy and Manu retire, your still left with Parker, Leonard, Green and Tyreke, which is a very good core to build from. Even something like 4/48 would not be unreasonable

Chinook
06-25-2013, 03:25 AM
Sacramento would match 40/4. Unless they are really done with him or they draft Otto Porter, Victor Oladipo or Caldwell-Pope

Their interest in Monta Ellis suggests that they're either planning on moving on from Evans, or that they think he'll receive a crazy-high offer.

Baam
06-25-2013, 03:44 AM
I think it's too risky at the end of the day.

These kind of contracts can break a franchise, we saw that with Jefferson. He's a good player but there's some red flags so the bottom line is : is he worth gambling that much? Probably not.

It'd be much safer to trade for Marion/Carter and 13, the recent history of the franchise points in that direction at least.

Chinook
06-25-2013, 03:58 AM
I think it's too risky at the end of the day.

These kind of contracts can break a franchise, we saw that with Jefferson. He's a good player but there's some red flags so the bottom line is : is he worth gambling that much? Probably not.

It'd be much safer to trade for Marion/Carter and 13, the recent history of the franchise points in that direction at least.

A real franchise-killing trade would be maxing out Iggy. That dude's about to fall off hard.

Evans isn't in the same category as Jefferson. No matter how badly he sucks, he'll still be movable for a couple of years based off his potential. No one's going to think he's fallen off physically like they have with RJ. And anyway, that deal didn't kill the Spurs' franchise at all. It actually could have been a great deal had the Spurs used his original expiring contract to bring in some good players. Re-signing him is another matter, but that too had extenuating circumstances.

At its worst, Jefferson's deal ended up being pretty easy to move. It just took a while. It Turkoglu can get traded twice with his contract, Evans could be moved if his deal is less than $40M/4. Even still, the Spurs wouldn't sign Evans if they didn't feel confident it would work out. And even if it fails, it won't cost the Spurs anything.

spurraider21
06-25-2013, 05:29 PM
The Kings just extended his qualifying offer, officially making him a restricted free agent. This was expected, but news nonetheless. He's one of my hopefuls this offseason.

benefactor
06-25-2013, 05:29 PM
Kings extended the QO. So it begins.

DesignatedT
06-25-2013, 05:45 PM
Evans keeps growing on me more and more. Too bad it wont happen. I think he could really grow into a great player here.

DPG21920
06-25-2013, 05:51 PM
I am just not a fan. Not because of the talent, but just the overall package.

spursince#99
06-25-2013, 08:44 PM
I am just not a fan. Not because of the talent, but just the overall package.

It's just not an ideal fit. I'm sure the FO knows this too, and they probably haven't even considered him as an option.

spurraider21
06-26-2013, 04:07 PM
Sacramento reportedly not willin to match offers for Evans. Either will sign him at the QO or will move on.

DesignatedT
06-26-2013, 04:24 PM
Very interesting.

benefactor
06-26-2013, 04:31 PM
Plot thickens. Some team is going to get a good deal on Evans.

look_at_g_shred
06-26-2013, 04:34 PM
I can see a team like the Knicks pick him up to fill the JR smith role

ace3g
06-26-2013, 04:34 PM
Ironic if Spurs could get Thomas Robinson and Tyreke Evans; both have played for the Kings.

ace3g
06-26-2013, 04:36 PM
Tyreke Evans said he benefited from Smart playing him at small forward and eventually moving him to shooting guard.

Evans played point guard when he won Rookie of the Year for the 2009-10 season, but Smart believed Evans could blossom off the ball.

"Hopefully, if he does stay, we can get this thing on the road and get a playoff run," Evans said. "If not, he was a good coach to me while he was here. We'll see what happens."

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/05/24/5444849/crunch-time-approaches.html#mi_rss=Kings/NBA#storylink=cpy

Good that he feels comfortable playing multiple spots

CGD
06-26-2013, 05:12 PM
You know im a fan, this is interesting. Good find. Sounds like it may be a bidding war between possible suitors, which actually makes me wonder how that works. What happens if two or more teams are interested in a guy? is it who made the offer first, who made the highest offer, etc?

Also any update on Manu? Don't the Spurs have to address him first before they make any sort of deal largish deal like this?

CGD
06-26-2013, 05:13 PM
Ironic if Spurs could get Thomas Robinson and Tyreke Evans; both have played for the Kings.
That would be a Hell of an off season :downspin:

chrhawk
06-26-2013, 05:48 PM
Sacramento reportedly not willin to match offers for Evans. Either will sign him at the QO or will move on.

In that case, the Spurs should definitely consider making an offer.

playblair
06-26-2013, 05:51 PM
sign evans re-sign blair................ co-mvps reunited ..................
http://www.dejuanblair.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/13/2013/02/dejuan-blair-tyreke-evans-20100212_zaf_x99_422.jpg

CGD
06-26-2013, 06:11 PM
Didn't see it, but here is the source: https://mobile.twitter.com/CarmichaelDave/status/349972935395655680

SpursBills
06-26-2013, 06:47 PM
probably just a ploy. it actually make sense for them to leak this so that teams make lower offers, making it easier to match. Can't see Sacramento being willing to match 7 million, and then allow Evans to leave without compensation if he signs an 8 million/year offer sheet. Doesn't make sense to me.

Chinook
06-26-2013, 06:55 PM
probably just a ploy. it actually make sense for them to leak this so that teams make lower offers, making it easier to match. Can't see Sacramento being willing to match 7 million, and then allow Evans to leave without compensation if he signs an 8 million/year offer sheet. Doesn't make sense to me.

Extending the QO lets them control the market for him. Even if they don't want him, it won't be hard to agree to a sign-and-trade for him. If no one bites, and they still don't want him, they can just retract their offer. No way he signs his tender.

Cklbmk
06-27-2013, 02:13 PM
Dream scenario

Renounce Manu, Neal, everyone except Tiago(7.5mil cap hold~)
Trade pick(s) for Thomas Robinson(3.3 mil cap space)
Sign Tyreke for 8.5mil(rest of cap space by my calculations)
Sign Tiago for w/e
Resign manu for MLE or TPMLE or w/e
sign casspi or tmac for minimum

Give Tyreke a year or 2 to learn from manu, get our back up 4, and set us up VERY nicely for the future

CGD
06-27-2013, 02:53 PM
^ Yeah, I would be one happy dude if that happened.

szkorhetz
06-27-2013, 07:15 PM
Evans is out of town, TBH.

Anonymous Cowherd
06-27-2013, 07:16 PM
Sacramento just picked McLemore... that's gotta be a really good sign for chances of being able to pick up Tyreke

CGD
06-27-2013, 07:19 PM
Plot thickens

ace3g
06-27-2013, 07:45 PM
Again it would be ironic if we got both Evans and Robinson

ace3g
06-27-2013, 08:15 PM
Nate Jones @JonesOnTheNBA
(http://twitter.com/JonesOnTheNBA)So when are the Spurs getting Tyreke Evans and Thomas Robinson for nothing?

CGD
06-27-2013, 08:26 PM
Nate Jones @JonesOnTheNBA
(http://twitter.com/JonesOnTheNBA)So when are the Spurs getting Tyreke Evans and Thomas Robinson for nothing?

who is that?

Im waiting for it to go down!!

MaNu4Tres
06-27-2013, 09:11 PM
Chip would do wonders with Tyreke. Curious to see if Spurs would really be interested knowing what Chip has been able to do with Parker and Leonard.

ffadicted
06-27-2013, 09:12 PM
Seeing Sactown draft McLemore brought a smile to my face tbh

spursince#99
06-28-2013, 01:29 AM
Honestly, this guy plays like a smaller version of LeBron.

spurraider21
06-28-2013, 01:57 AM
He could be groomed to play the Manu role pretty easily. I mean he's essentially a 6'5 point guard

Cklbmk
06-28-2013, 02:22 AM
Tyreke would be so amazing. Trading scrubs/space for Tyreke would make us favorites imo

Mal
06-28-2013, 03:17 AM
Now Evans is not needed in Sacto. Sign him and then flip trade for Marcin Gortat, since Suns have Len.

cdcast
06-28-2013, 11:17 AM
Can definitely see some bad team with cap space make a hard run at Evans.
Is he worth $10 mil/season because that might be his price.

Texas_Ranger
06-28-2013, 11:20 AM
the kings did pick his Qualifying Offer which is almost 7M. I like the guy, but would the Spurs really give him 10M?

Chinook
06-28-2013, 11:25 AM
the kings did pick his Qualifying Offer which is almost 7M. I like the guy, but would the Spurs really give him 10M?

They just drafted two guards, and they still have Freddette and Thomas. I don't think they're going to be fighting too hard to keep him, especially if someone offers them some asset in a sign-and-trade.

Texas_Ranger
06-28-2013, 11:27 AM
They just drafted two guards, and they still have Freddette and Thomas. I don't think they're going to be fighting too hard to keep him, especially if someone offers them some asset in a sign-and-trade.

what sucks is that we don't really have any assets for their team.

FirebatMIV
06-28-2013, 11:44 AM
We can always offer a 2014 1st round pick.

Chinook
06-28-2013, 12:15 PM

It's not a normal trade where they expect to get equal value. I think of it like restricted free agency in the NFL. Essentially, you're just paying for them to not match the offer. Sort of like how the Clippers paid the Celtics to let Rivers out of his contract.

cdcast
06-28-2013, 12:20 PM
I can see teams like the Suns, Pistons, and Mavs going after Evans if they strike out
with their first/second free agent options. After re-signing Manu and Splitter, Spurs
should have around $8 mil. Those teams could easily outbid Spurs.

SpursSerb
06-28-2013, 12:58 PM
We can always offer a 2014 1st round pick.

Yes because Spurs late first round picks have high value.

FirebatMIV
06-28-2013, 02:02 PM
Yes because Spurs late first round picks have high value.

In 2014? Maybe more than normally.

Richie
06-28-2013, 02:16 PM
I'm warming to the idea of Tyreke for around $10m. All depends on whether he was part of the chemistry problem in Sacramento or just caught up in it. We've seen players like JJ Hickson excel once they're out of that horrible locker room.

BatManu20
06-28-2013, 03:16 PM
^Yes you can't underestimate how much better and more motivated guys are when they play for a good team. When your team is constantly garbage and your HC sucks, you continue doing the same thing and making the same mistakes. he was selfish in Sacramento because there were very few good players on their squad who could score the ball. He was their best option, so naturally he's going to take a lot of shots. Put him in the Spurs system and let him flourish. It would likely take a $9-10 million offer though because the Kings will match anything less imo.

CGD
06-28-2013, 04:04 PM
Spurs are going to have to overpay, but I think 10M may be a bit much. Then again Zach Low (http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9415882/the-2013-nba-free-agency-primer)e had another good piece on Grantland about how the new CBA will impact the free agency landscape this year. The part that stood out, which is relevant to whether Spurs would offer Evan 10M, is:

"Anxiety about the new CBA and excitement over future free-agency classes will change the market in ways we don't yet understand. That's where West's contract comes in. A lot of executives view that deal as a potential model for second- and third-tier free agents going forward: "We'll offer you a nice annual salary, provided you sign a very short contract." We already saw a bit of that last season, with the Celtics (Kevin Garnett), Clippers (Jamal Crawford), Hornets (Robin Lopez), Suns (Michael Beasley), and Rockets (both Omer Asik and Jeremy Lin) either pushing for non-guaranteed years on the back end of contracts or signing desirable young players (Lin and Asik) to three-year deals instead of longer ones.

Teams will push hard for shorter deals, even with quality players, and if they win that battle, it will have profound implications for team-building each summer. Guys like Andre Iguodala and Josh Smith are probably above this treatment, but lesser light veterans such as Ellis, Tiago Splitter, Carl Landry, Al Jefferson, and many others provide interesting test cases. All have flaws, but all could help in the right context, and those teams might overpay for that help if they know it becomes expiring help almost upon signing. [Footnote 7]
[Footnote 7]. Many of these guys might balk at two-year offers, which is kind of the point. Can they do better? And where is the line between those who can do better and those who can't? All of this evokes a popular refrain from NBA front-office sources: "It only takes one asshole." As in: It only takes one team to increase a player's market value to unreasonable levels."

spurraider21
06-28-2013, 05:39 PM
I'm fine with him for 10 mil. If he wasn't playing for a dysfunctional franchise (I would know, I'm a Raiders fan), his price tag would have been way higher right now. He's that talented. in 2 years he'll be considered underpaid

-21-
06-29-2013, 12:41 AM
$10M is too much. Evans would be great but we can't overpay.

TrainOfThought5
06-29-2013, 01:00 AM
we need to improve... and if we're serious about that we're going to have to open our pocketbooks fellas.

Cklbmk
06-30-2013, 01:04 AM
We could have a lot of room if we dont give Tiago a QO

tim_duncan_fan
06-30-2013, 01:57 AM
we need to improve... and if we're serious about that we're going to have to open our pocketbooks fellas.

Truth!

ffadicted
06-30-2013, 09:09 AM

lol you must be new to the spurs

TrainOfThought5
06-30-2013, 10:46 AM
lol you must be new to the spurs

You must have missed that few years with Richard Jefferson and his extension.

CGD
06-30-2013, 12:32 PM
From the Hoopsrumors.com website, citing the Sacracmento Bee (http://www.sacbee.com/2013/06/30/5534480/ailene-voisin-dalessandro-plans.html#mi_rss=Kings/NBA):

New Kings GM Pete D'Alessandro is promising an "aggressive" approach to the offseason, as Ailene Voisin of the Sacramento Bee (http://www.sacbee.com/2013/06/30/5534480/ailene-voisin-dalessandro-plans.html#mi_rss=Kings/NBA) observes. The Kings won't simply let restricted free agent Tyreke Evans (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/e/evansty01.html?utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-www.typepad.com) go without matching his offer or working out a sign-and-trade, writes Voisin, who pegs his market value at between $8MM and $10MM per year.

benefactor
06-30-2013, 12:47 PM
That makes no sense. They just drafted a top guard prospect. They are not bringing Evans back. I do think they try hard to work out a S&T though to get something to keep him from just walking. Next years first rounder for Evans? I think it would be worth it.

Mr Bones
06-30-2013, 02:54 PM
There are some red flags....

Nocioni was his teammate and said he had a bad attitude: http://www.hoopsvibe.com/nba-gossip-and-rumors/169161-andres-nocioni-on-tyreke-evans-incredible-talent-with-a-bad-attitude

Antoine Wright was a teammate and said he had a bad work ethic: http://johnclay.bloginky.com/2011/06/29/ex-king-says-boogies-attitude-was-really-really-bad/#

At one point after his rookie season, Jonathan Givony of Draftexpress and others reported that he was out of shape and overweight: http://offtherecordsports.com/2011/11/27/tyreke-evans-got-fat/

He has improved his FG%, which is a good sign, but he's done that by taking fewer bad shots (another criticism that scouts mention), not by improving his jump shooting. He's clearly talented, but I just don't see him being sold on coming to the Spurs to platoon with Green, Ginobili, Kawhi, and Parker. He's not the kind of character the Spurs typically invest big dollars in. My bet is he goes to the highest bidder, which most likely won't be the Spurs.

Mr Bones
06-30-2013, 03:10 PM
More red flags: On a terrible Sacramento team that finished the season 28-54, Evans finished the season with an on court/off court rating of -0.7. In the previous season, he was -2.6.

Contrast that with Mike Dunleavy, whose Milwaukee team finished 38-44, and whose on court/off court rating was +7.5.

Al Farouq Aminu's New Orleans team also finished with a dismal record of 27-55, but Aminu, an athletic player with a poor jump shot, finished at +4.3.

I don't think +/- numbers are the end all and be all of basketball stats, but there is something suspect about a young talented player on a terrible team that doesn't make the team noticeably better when he's on the court... why are mid level players like Aaron Afflalo, Chase Budinger, Carlos Delfino, etc., able to make their teams slightly better, while Evans can't?

CGD
06-30-2013, 04:17 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure if they are sayings they will match anything in the 8-10m range or if they're saying that's what it will take to pry him away. If the former, time for us to speculate about on their player.

Raven
06-30-2013, 05:01 PM
not sure i'd give a multiyear 7milion per year tbh..

exstatic
06-30-2013, 05:04 PM

If they trade him into our cap space for like a second round pick, they get a trade exception in the amount of his salary to use for one year. That's an asset.

exstatic
06-30-2013, 05:05 PM
More red flags: On a terrible Sacramento team that finished the season 28-54, Evans finished the season with an on court/off court rating of -0.7. In the previous season, he was -2.6.

Contrast that with Mike Dunleavy, whose Milwaukee team finished 38-44, and whose on court/off court rating was +7.5.

Al Farouq Aminu's New Orleans team also finished with a dismal record of 27-55, but Aminu, an athletic player with a poor jump shot, finished at +4.3.

I don't think +/- numbers are the end all and be all of basketball stats, but there is something suspect about a young talented player on a terrible team that doesn't make the team noticeably better when he's on the court... why are mid level players like Aaron Afflalo, Chase Budinger, Carlos Delfino, etc., able to make their teams slightly better, while Evans can't?

Matt fucking Bonner is the king of +-, which kind of blows a hole right through your fucking argument.

Mr Bones
06-30-2013, 05:15 PM
Matt fucking Bonner is the king of +-, which kind of blows a hole right through your fucking argument.

Bonner was -2.7 last year (8th best on team, which doesn't make him king of anything) and not a focal point of the team. There are anomalies sometimes ("I don't think +/- numbers are the end all and be all of basketball stats"), but generally a good player and starter on a team with a bad record should not make his team worse when he's on the court. So, the argument is pretty solid.

Chinook
06-30-2013, 05:20 PM
That makes no sense. They just drafted a top guard prospect. They are not bringing Evans back. I do think they try hard to work out a S&T though to get something to keep him from just walking. Next years first rounder for Evans? I think it would be worth it.

Yes, it would.

What's good about sign-and-trades is that it has more-generous salary limitations. Things like roster charges don't factor in like to do with straight up signing players. Also, the Spurs could include a player like Mills or De Colo, which would allow them to take back more salary than it looks like they'd be able to now.

So an offer of Bonner and De Colo and two firsts would actually allow the Spurs to take back Evans making up to $10.5 Million in his first year. The Spurs could do that while re-signing Ginobili, Neal and Splitter to whatever deals they want OR while re-signing Neal and Splitter for whatever they want, inking Ginobili to the room exception, AND bringing in another free agent making up to $8.2 Million. They could do further sign-and-trades with Neal and Splitter to recoup assets or bring in other players if they want to move on.

exstatic
06-30-2013, 05:24 PM
Yes, it would.

What's good about sign-and-trades is that it has more-generous salary limitations. Things like roster charges don't factor in like to do with straight up signing players. Also, the Spurs could include a player like Mills or De Colo, which would allow them to take back more salary than it looks like they'd be able to now.

So an offer of Bonner and De Colo and two firsts would actually allow the Spurs to take back Evans making up to $10.5 Million in his first year. The Spurs could do that while re-signing Ginobili, Neal and Splitter to whatever deals they want OR while re-signing Neal and Splitter for whatever they want, inking Ginobili to the room exception, AND bringing in another free agent making up to $8.2 Million. They could do further sign-and-trades with Neal and Splitter to recoup assets or bring in other players if they want to move on.

I wouldn't give Sacto two first rounders. The trade exception created for them by the salary imbalance is in itself an asset that they can use for up to a year.

benefactor
06-30-2013, 05:27 PM
Agreed. I don't see why the TE and next years first rounder in what looks to be a strong draft wouldn't be enough. There doesn't seem to be much of an immediate market for Evans. That could change though as other FA's start to sign.

Chinook
06-30-2013, 05:38 PM
It's because they can probably get a full trade exception for him by signing-and-trading him to another team. Remember, if the Kings are going to go after Ellis, they need to clear most of Evans' salary from the books. That means they might not be able to afford taking on $5.4 Million in salary.

The Spurs in this case have little leverage, as they couldn't really afford Evans outright in this scenario without shedding some salary. A first may be enough, but I'd be willing to give up two picks, especially if it meant the team could also bring in another player like Millsap.

Also, if the team gives up two picks, they can probably get away with protecting both more than they could with just one. It would be nice to have top-20 protection instead of just lottery protection. I think there is a legitimate chance of the team falling off and grabbing a lower seed like they did in 2010. I'd hate to lose a high pick in a such a strong draft, and it could be worth the extra first to protect it.

exstatic
06-30-2013, 07:15 PM
It's because they can probably get a full trade exception for him by signing-and-trading him to another team. Remember, if the Kings are going to go after Ellis, they need to clear most of Evans' salary from the books. That means they might not be able to afford taking on $5.4 Million in salary.

The Spurs in this case have little leverage, as they couldn't really afford Evans outright in this scenario without shedding some salary. A first may be enough, but I'd be willing to give up two picks, especially if it meant the team could also bring in another player like Millsap.

Also, if the team gives up two picks, they can probably get away with protecting both more than they could with just one. It would be nice to have top-20 protection instead of just lottery protection. I think there is a legitimate chance of the team falling off and grabbing a lower seed like they did in 2010. I'd hate to lose a high pick in a such a strong draft, and it could be worth the extra first to protect it.

So, stop trying to dump our trash on them, and take him straight up into our cap space. You're getting a little greedy with our acquisitions. If we get Evans, and re-sign everyone else, it's a good summer.

Chinook
06-30-2013, 07:23 PM
So, stop trying to dump our trash on them, and take him straight up into our cap space. You're getting a little greedy with our acquisitions. If we get Evans, and re-sign everyone else, it's a good summer.

It's not about being greedy. It's very possible (as of now likely) that the Spurs will not HAVE enough cap space to sign Evans outright. They only have cap space if they don't re-sign Ginobili for anything other than the room exception or minimum. If Manu's not sold on that, then the team doesn't have much more than the MLE.

The Spurs amnestying Bonner can free up a little space, but unless Ginobili agrees to the pay cut, it won't be enough. Going the actual trade route would allow the Spurs to acquire Evans while being over the cap. With the way the off-season is going so far, it's likely that's where the team will be.

Texas_Ranger
06-30-2013, 07:24 PM
Evans flew to Los Angeles on Saturday to meet with agent Arn Tellem in preparation for free agency, a source said. Evans' preference is to re-sign to a long-term deal with the Kings. He recently moved into a new huge home in the Sacramento suburb of Rocklin. The 23-year-old has been spending most of his offseason in Sacramento and has been regularly working out at the Kings' practice facility. Yahoo! Sports

The Kings don't need him after they drafted McLemore, only if they want him to play PG.

Chinook
06-30-2013, 07:39 PM
Who buys a home in a city the year before their contract is up? I guess he thought they'd get an extension done, but it was silly to make that kind of investment when everything is so uncertain. Not that he doesn't have the money to pick up and move again, though.

ace3g
06-30-2013, 09:22 PM
Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine
(http://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine)Pelicans will have a face to face with Tyreke Evans tonight after free agency commences at 12:01 AM ET, ESPN has learned

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-30-2013, 09:25 PM
Will be meeting with New Orleans at the start of negotiation tonight.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-30-2013, 09:26 PM
Of course, ace3g.

ace3g
06-30-2013, 10:17 PM
Sam Amico @SamAmicoFSO
(http://twitter.com/SamAmicoFSO)Heaven help us all. RT @mr_jasonjones (http://twitter.com/mr_jasonjones): Source close to Tyreke Evans adamant he's not meeting w/Pelicans or any others tonight. This is fun.

ace3g
06-30-2013, 10:29 PM
Paul Garcia PS @PaulGarciaPS
(http://twitter.com/PaulGarciaPS)RT @James_Ham (http://twitter.com/James_Ham): Source confirming that Tyreke Evans is in fact meeting with the Pelicans tonight.

Paul Garcia PS @PaulGarciaPS
(http://twitter.com/PaulGarciaPS)RT @James_Ham (http://twitter.com/James_Ham): I was told early on that as many of 17 teams are interested in Tyreke Evans.

ace3g
06-30-2013, 10:34 PM
David Aldridge @daldridgetnt
(http://twitter.com/daldridgetnt)As @ESPNSteinLine (http://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine) reported, Pelicans will meet with Tyreke Evans late tonight. Told they will have an offer sheet in hand--a big one.

ace3g
06-30-2013, 11:11 PM
Marc J. Spears @SpearsNBAYahoo
(http://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo)While NO will make big offer tonight, sources close to SAC Tyreke Evans say he will do his due diligence with long list & Kings still in mix

CGD
07-01-2013, 12:14 AM
Woah, 17 teams huh? How many of those actually have the cap space and not relying on a sign-and-trade?

DesignatedT
07-01-2013, 03:48 PM
David Aldridge @daldridgetnt
Have been told the Pelicans' sheet to Tyreke Evans is four years, $44 million

Anonymous Cowherd
07-01-2013, 03:58 PM
that's big money. no chance we're in for him at that rate.

yavozerb
07-01-2013, 04:28 PM
Most of use were expecting around 10 mil. for Evans. At 11 mil. the Kings will probably let him go. Man, the southwest division is gonna be rough next season if Howard goes to the rockets and Evans indeed goes to NO.

Captivus
07-04-2013, 03:54 PM

Drom John
06-07-2016, 11:17 AM
SB Nation: The Bird Writes: 2016 NBA Mock Draft: Trade scenarios dominate first round, including Jimmy Butler and Marc Gasol to Celtics
By Kevin.Barrios  kevinbforbounce on Jun 7, 2016, 6:00a

Trade: Remember when Monty Williams planned to use Tyreke Evans like Manu Ginobili, Gregg Popovich?

tyreke.JPG

Tyreke Evans follows Marco Belinelli’s path to a ring with a new-ish look Spurs team. The Pelicans sneak back into the 1st round nabbing both youthful potential and veteran leadership.

San Antonio Spurs:

It’s quite conceivable that Tim Duncan and Ginobili walk away from the NBA this summer. Surely, both will at least opt out of their contracts along with David West ushering in another iteration of the San Antonio Spurs. This team will be built around the skills of LaMarcus Aldridge, Kawhi Leonard, Danny Green and Boban Marjanovic. With Manu gone and Tony Parker on the decline, the Spurs gamble on Evans’ knees and ability to pilot a dominant pick and roll attack.

Outgoing:

Boris Diaw and the 29th overall pick in the 2016 NBA draft.

Incoming:

Tyreke Evans.

New Orleans Pelicans:

I’ll be very sad to see Tyreke go. I feel like he was very under-appreciated and under-utilized during his New Orleans’ tenure. Popovich won’t let either happen. Still, if the Pelicans are able to play T.J. Warren, Quincy Pondexter, James Ennis, Jrue Holiday, Denzel Valentine and Tim Frazier in the various roles Evans tried occupying, the team should be fine without him. Dumping Tyreke’s contract also creates a little more space to extend Jrue Holiday to ensure some much needed consistency heading into the future.

With this move, the Pelicans bolster big man depth that will be lost when Ryan Anderson leaves, and to offset the inefficiencies of Omer Asik and Alexis Ajinca. Boris Diaw is a playmaking, facing big with three point range, and could aid the installation of a championship culture to on an often immature Pelicans team.

Outgoing:

Tyreke Evans.

Incoming:

Boris Diaw and the 29th overall pick in the 2016 NBA draft.

29. The New Orleans Pelicans (from the Spurs): Ante Zizic (C) Croatia

Zizic is much more fluid than Asik or Ajinca and can run the floor well for his size. He thrives on contact, and he brutes his way into rebounds at both ends ala Nikola Pekovic. With the wing positions and the point guard situation sorted, the Pelicans can now work on fixing the five spot while hoping for an amnesty clause. Marvel at a 6’-11" European center finishing around the rim in this highlight reel:

Seventyniner
06-07-2016, 03:25 PM
I wouldn't mind that Boris + 29 for Evans trade as a plan F or G. Evans is in a contract year (hopefully keeping him on his best behavior) and would add some desparately needed talent to the backcourt. On the downside, the Spurs can't afford to ship off firsts too often and it costs $7M of cap space over cutting Diaw and stashing the pick, though only about $1.5M more than keeping Diaw and the pick.

palangi
06-07-2016, 04:16 PM
Tyreke length, athleticism, and youth would be a welcome addition.