View Full Version : 2013 Free Agent: Tiago Splitter

Bruno
03-14-2013, 08:48 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_tiago_splitter.jpg
Born: Jan 1, 1985
Height: 6-11 / 2.11
Weight: 240 lbs. / 108.9 kg.
Prior to NBA / Country: Saski Baskonia / Brazil

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/tiago_splitter/career_stats.html)

RFA

td4mvp2k
03-14-2013, 12:38 PM
#1 FA 4 Spurs!

Anonymous Cowherd
03-14-2013, 03:20 PM
Whatever it takes

jesterbobman
03-14-2013, 04:02 PM
I think the hope is that he'll sign a deal after the Spurs use FA money, as his deal will be bigger than his cap hold. Hard to imagine the Spurs not putting in serious effort to resign him.

benefactor
03-14-2013, 04:32 PM
Pay him.

timtonymanu
03-14-2013, 05:41 PM
What benefactor said

pad300
03-14-2013, 05:47 PM
Gonna get paid... Minimum $40 Million/4 Years. Maybe more!

ABC
03-24-2013, 03:34 AM
I think the Spurs will keep Splitter and pay him, but after looking at other contracts, 4 years, $40 million sounds a little high.

A few contracts handed out last year:
Ilyasova: 5 years, $40 million
Ryan Anderson: 4 years, $34 million
Asik: 3 years, $25 million

If Splitter got the same deal as Anderson, his first year salary would be slightly under his cap hold so it would make sense to sign him before pursuing other free agents. Any other contracts that might be a better comparison to what Splitter might get?

Richie
03-24-2013, 10:49 AM
Splitter is 28 so this will likely be his only big contract. Can't see him taking any less than Anderson got

8FOR!3
03-24-2013, 11:43 AM
Give him what he needs, we've got to resign him after the year he's had. And he's technically in his athletic prime. But a player like him can probably play well into his 30's, it's not like he really relies on his athleticism for the most part.

Bruno
04-22-2013, 08:01 AM
While it's obviously way too soon to draw conclusions after one playoffs game, it's still interesting to see at how Spurs can manage Splitter free agency if they aren't sold by his playoffs campaign.

The key is that making the $4.9M qualifying offer is very little commitment for Spurs. CBA rules allow a team to withdraw a QO until July 23rd without the player's consent. July 23rd is well after the amnesty claiming period and the period where the main FAs are signed. This rule basically allow Spurs to look at other free agents while keeping Splitter in their back pocket if they can't get the players they target.

You can imagine great offseason scenarios where Splitter isn't re-signed.

venitian navigator
04-22-2013, 09:48 AM
Word was, when Asik, Anderson and Iliasova signed their contacts, that they all have been paid too much.
Splitter, actually, is still not on the same page (and has not the same numbers) with these players.
Plus, these players were signed as to be among the best three players in their respective teams.
Big men are always paid a bit more than they're worth, and Spurs have also to consider that Splitter has already the benefit to finally know (or supposedly know) the System... but frankly I can'ìt imagine him being paid near (or more) than Duncan.
Imho the money should be among the 6-8 million dollars per year (ex. 5 years for 35 millions).

Chinook
04-22-2013, 10:01 AM
It's a touch decision for Splitter. His market value has sort of taken a hit recently. If he has a great playoffs, that's all moot. But if he doesn't, then he has to decide if he should take a relatively modest long-term deal ($40M/5) or gamble on a short-term deal ($14-18/2) and hope he'll get another pay day. I see all those scenarios as being beneficial to the Spurs. They'll either get a great performance from Splitter in the post season, or they'll get a player that they know fits what they want to do on a better deal than they may have expected mid-season.

Personally, I'd like to see a modest deal that allows Splitter to go back to the bench. I'd be fine with paying him $8 Million for that role.

BackHome
05-01-2013, 10:59 PM
I don't see the Spurs paying him more then 7 million a year.

MmP
05-02-2013, 11:20 AM
I think that also depends on how the Spurs do on this playoffs. If we get deeper than last year I'd Splitter re signing, other than that I'd say he'd like a more important role on a regular PO team.

Richie
05-02-2013, 03:15 PM
It's possible that we as Spurs fans overvalue him just because he's the 7 footer we've needed for years. In a free agent class that is stacked with big men, he might not get paid much.

Just off the top of my head, teams with cap space would be chasing Howard, Bynum, Smith, Jefferson, Millsap and West ahead of him, then players like Hickson, Brand and Kaman are in the mix too. I imagine Splitter will get paid less than Hickson but more than Brand or Kaman.

Captivus
05-02-2013, 08:36 PM
If I'm a 7 feet NBA player, I would never sign a 2 year deal if I have the opportunity to sign a 4 year deal.
I wouldn't risk, lets say, 15$M (2 x 7.5$) so I can make, maybe 20$ in 2 years.
Too much at stake, 2 years older, you don't have control over your minutes,injuries in tall guys...

If I had to bet, I would say he signs a long term deal, with the teams that offers him the longest one.

DesignatedT
05-02-2013, 09:00 PM
I think around 8m/yr for Splitter is fair. I'd be fine with giving him 4 years 32 Mil.

Mal
05-09-2013, 02:23 PM
36-40/4yrs is fair enough.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-09-2013, 03:24 PM
How the rest of the playoffs will go has a huge effect on his contract. Right now I'm thinking a 4 year/$32M is the highest I'll go.

objective
05-09-2013, 04:53 PM
If he doesn't get his starting gig back these playoffs, Spurs should just let him walk.

If Pop doesn't want to play him, then why pay him?

Pop found every reason to bench him year 1. Lost faith in him real quick in year 2. And now has him just as a back-up in year 3.

Just let him go and let Pop satisfy his quote of "Maybe it's Matt Bonner!" as starter.

superjames1992
05-09-2013, 05:37 PM
I have a hard time justifying paying him more than Manu, tbh. I'm not sure if he's worth $8 million/year unless he really starts to play better quickly in the playoffs.

playblair
05-10-2013, 03:40 PM

The Spurs have the right of first refusal and will exercise that right if the offers come in at the right number. But Dallas and Atlanta have to have him on their short lists, with several other teams focusing in on him early on in the process

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/05/09/hot-list-top-10-restricted-free-agents/

Chinook
05-11-2013, 08:29 PM
Try to work out a sign-and-trade with Atlanta if the number is too high. They have some decent young pieces, and Ferry may do the Spurs a solid to secure Splitter.

ABC
05-11-2013, 11:16 PM
Try to work out a sign-and-trade with Atlanta if the number is too high. They have some decent young pieces, and Ferry may do the Spurs a solid to secure Splitter.

If the price is too high for the Spurs to match, why wouldn't Atlanta just sign him outright? Looks like they'll have a lot of cap space.

Chinook
05-11-2013, 11:25 PM
If the price is too high for the Spurs to match, why wouldn't Atlanta just sign him outright? Looks like they'll have a lot of cap space.

The Spurs have the room to match a max offer. Atlanta can't really outbid the Spurs. But if they're willing to offer him a deal that the Spurs think is too much, then they can try to work out a trade. Atlanta doesn't know what the Spurs' number is. And the value of that number may be dependent on a lot of factors, possible compensation from an S&T being among them.

In other words, it's possible that there is a salary number that the Spurs would match if they don't get something from Splitter. By trading a small asset, Atlanta can lower the amount of money they have to pay to secure Splitter.

bluebellmaniac
05-11-2013, 11:58 PM

With the new CBA, I don't think sign and trades exist any more. If we sign him, I think he has to stay on the team for a minimum amount of time, something like until December if I remember correctly. So it's either we sign and keep him, or we don't.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot that he was a RFA. So yeah, we could match and then trade him to Atlanta, or whoever. (Or I think we can)

Chinook
05-12-2013, 12:09 AM
With the new CBA, I don't think sign and trades exist any more. If we sign him, I think he has to stay on the team for a minimum amount of time, something like until December if I remember correctly. So it's either we sign and keep him, or we don't.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot that he was a RFA. So yeah, we could match and then trade him to Atlanta, or whoever. (Or I think we can)

You have it backwards. Because Splitter is an RFA, the Spurs CAN'T match and trade him to Atlanta for a year. Splitter also gets a de-facto no-trade clause for that year, in addition to the Spurs not being able to trade him to anyone before January 15.

People have gotten confused by the CBA's handling of S&T's: They still exist just fine, and for teams below the apron, there's very little difference between them now and before. There is less benefit to signing and trading, because players don't get to keep their Bird benefits now. But that's not the motivating factor in this case.

This is not to be confused with the Lakers and Howard. Their S&T options are extremely limited due to their tax issues. The Spurs have no such limitations.

ABC
05-12-2013, 02:15 PM
The Spurs have the room to match a max offer. Atlanta can't really outbid the Spurs. But if they're willing to offer him a deal that the Spurs think is too much, then they can try to work out a trade. Atlanta doesn't know what the Spurs' number is. And the value of that number may be dependent on a lot of factors, possible compensation from an S&T being among them.

In other words, it's possible that there is a salary number that the Spurs would match if they don't get something from Splitter. By trading a small asset, Atlanta can lower the amount of money they have to pay to secure Splitter.

Thanks. That's helpful. I have usually thought of sign-and-trades as a way for teams over the cap to acquire free agents without using an exception, but I can see how it could potentially be beneficial to both teams in your scenario.

FirebatMIV
05-12-2013, 04:42 PM
Atlanta really doesn't have the young guys to make a deal work though. They're not going to trade Horford and they got nothing else as far as players. Unless they want to give up multiple draft picks.

freetiago
05-12-2013, 05:56 PM
I hope he walks after this year and gives the finger to Pop
so much disrespect this guy gets
benching him when he was responsible for 6 straight points even though there was 10 minutes left

CGD
05-14-2013, 05:44 PM
I really don't get how the Spurs plan to use this guy in the future. Sure he's been injured, but Pop uses him so inconsistently in the playoffs. Some of it is on Splittler, but other times I scratch my head. I just feel Pop things he's too soft and doesn't trust him in clutch scenarios.

Really would hate to see him in Dallas, but you know dick munch is going to try to out bid the Spurs. Would rather do a deal with Ferry if it came to it, and try to snag picks. They have 2 in the first this year.

CGD
05-15-2013, 11:37 AM
If teams are going to try to outbid the spurs for splitter, another interesting sign and trade partner could be the Knicks. Chandler has been unhappy there, and the Knicks cap situation looks bleak. Sign and trade splittler with other parts that offer cap relief (bonner) to the Knicks. It would offer them some relief this coming year assuming Tiagos deal is for less than what chandler is owed, but more importantly the year after the Knicks will have more room.

Yes the last two years of his deal are 14m a pop, but I think chandler would provide more reliable rebounding and defense than Splitter. Spurs lose something on the pick in roll game, but Chandler isn't too shabby there either. I like a Chandler Duncan front court against the Memphises of the league. Seems doable money wise assuming manu does take about 65% of his current deal.

hell I'd even ask te Knicks to swap 1st rounders this year, if there is someone the spurs want in the low 20s.

Mel_13
05-15-2013, 11:59 AM
If teams are going to try to outbid the spurs for splitter, another interesting sign and trade partner could be the Knicks. Chandler has been unhappy there, and the Knicks cap situation looks bleak. Sign and trade splittler with other parts that offer cap relief (bonner) to the Knicks. It would offer them some relief this coming year assuming Tiagos deal is for less than what chandler is owed, but more importantly the year after the Knicks will have more room.

Yes the last two years of his deal are 14m a pop, but I think chandler would provide more reliable rebounding and defense than Splitter. Spurs lose something on the pick in roll game, but Chandler isn't too shabby there either. I like a Chandler Duncan front court against the Memphises of the league. Seems doable money wise assuming manu does take about 65% of his current deal.

hell I'd even ask te Knicks to swap 1st rounders this year, if there is someone the spurs want in the low 20s.

Teams over the tax apron, like the Knicks, are not allowed to receive a player in a sign and trade.

CGD
05-15-2013, 07:04 PM
Well that is that.

BackHome
05-18-2013, 05:42 PM
What about Atlanta they have the 17th and 18th pick and probably going to loose their center. Could we trade our 28th and Splitter for there 17th and 18th pick? If we could should we do it?

exstatic
05-18-2013, 05:50 PM
What about Atlanta they have the 17th and 18th pick and probably going to loose their center. Could we trade our 28th and Splitter for there 17th and 18th pick? If we could should we do it?

The timing is tricky. You can't trade FAs. You can sign and trade them, but not until the FA period, which is weeks after the draft. You would have to allow ATL to negotiate with him, and get him to agree in principle. It happens, but not very often. You also wouldn't get both picks unless you throw in something else.

SenorSpur
05-19-2013, 08:22 AM

I like this idea, but as Exstatic mentioned, this timing of all this makes for a very a tricky proposition - especially considering the fact that the draft is conducted before the free agency period. Still, Splitter is the Spurs best pick-n-roll defender and it's hard to picture them letting him walk. Unless, of course, desparate teams like the Blazers and Mavs simply money-whip him - which they are more than capable of doing.

Still, if they are in danger of losing Splitter, I'd much rather see the Spurs negotiate to acquire ATLs two consecutive first-round picks in exchange for a Splitter sign-n-trade, along with the Spurs #28 and whatever else is needed to make the deal work.

Chinook
05-20-2013, 04:34 PM
Teams over the tax apron, like the Knicks, are not allowed to receive a player in a sign and trade.

This is true. However, I realized that the Knicks wouldn't be over the apron if they did a S&T deal for Splitter, provided his starting salary was less than about $12 Million. From what I read, the limit is a calculated AFTER the trade goes through. The Knicks are barely above this year's apron ($76 Million) in salaries for next season ($77.8 Million). The projected cap increase, modest as it may be, should push the Knicks under the apron (I'm guessing about $79 Million). Even if that's not the case, the drop between Splitter's salary and Chandler's would be enough to keep New York safe, so the trade would actually be viable. Cap holds and roster charges shouldn't affect this.

That doesn't make this a good trade. But I did think it was interesting. This first year with these new rules leads to a lot of ambiguity. So I don't even know if the above interpretation is correct.

Chinook
05-20-2013, 04:35 PM
This will probably be moot if Splitter keeps improving this post-season.

Mel_13
05-20-2013, 04:45 PM
This is true. However, I realized that the Knicks wouldn't be over the apron if they did a S&T deal for Splitter, provided his starting salary was less than about $12 Million. From what I read, the limit is a calculated AFTER the trade goes through. The Knicks are barely above this year's apron ($76 Million) in salaries for next season ($77.8 Million). The projected cap increase, modest as it may be, should push the Knicks under the apron (I'm guessing about $79 Million). Even if that's not the case, the drop between Splitter's salary and Chandler's would be enough to keep New York safe, so the trade would actually be viable. Cap holds and roster charges shouldn't affect this.

That doesn't make this a good trade. But I did think it was interesting. This first year with these new rules leads to a lot of ambiguity. So I don't even know if the above interpretation is correct.

There may be a narrow window for the Knicks to make such a trade under the rules if there is a good sized increase in the cap, but they couldn't bring back guys like Smith and Copeland and they would probably have to fill all remaining roster spots with minimum contracts. A remote possibility as best, and one that I can't see being of mutual interest to both teams.

Chinook
05-20-2013, 04:59 PM
There may be a narrow window for the Knicks to make such a trade under the rules if there is a good sized increase in the cap, but they couldn't bring back guys like Smith and Copeland and they would probably have to fill all remaining roster spots with minimum contracts. A remote possibility as best, and one that I can't see being of mutual interest to both teams.

I agree with your point in general, but I don't see why the Knicks would lose Smith's and Copeland's rights in this scenario. They'd actually end up with less committed salary for the season, and they'd still have all of the financial latitude they did before (or lack of it, rather). The timing is definitely the issue, but Copeland is restricted, which gives New York three days of leeway in the worst-case scenario (his QO may be too big, though, but I doubt it). And I doubt Smith is going to sign in the first two or three days of free agency unless it's for a contract the Knicks wouldn't have matched in the first place. Besides that, they're pretty much stuck with this roster for the next couple of years anyway, so it's not like they were going to be big players in free agency.

Mel_13
05-20-2013, 05:07 PM
I agree with your point in general, but I don't see why the Knicks would lose Smith's and Copeland's rights in this scenario. They'd actually end up with less committed salary for the season, and they'd still have all of the financial latitude they did before (or lack of it, rather). The timing is definitely the issue, but Copeland is restricted, which gives New York three days of leeway in the worst-case scenario (his QO may be too big, though, but I doubt it). And I doubt Smith is going to sign in the first two or three days of free agency unless it's for a contract the Knicks wouldn't have matched in the first place. Besides that, they're pretty much stuck with this roster for the next couple of years anyway, so it's not like they were going to be big players in free agency.

Starting in 2013-14 if a team acquires a player in a sign-and-trade, the apron ($4 million above the tax line) effectively becomes a hard cap for the remainder of that season.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q89

CGD
06-12-2013, 09:39 PM
What's the backup plan if spurs opt not to match a ridiculous offer sheet? Throw money at Pekovic? Go after Jefferson or Milsap?Not sure he merits it after this PO, but there are surprisingly more teams with money than I thought and I think at last one may try to pry Splitter.

Captivus
06-13-2013, 07:56 AM
As much as I dont like Tiago in the POs, he is a big assets during regular season. I just want him to be as good in the finals (absurd thought).
Spurs need to keep him. The biggest problem wil not only be the mony, but also the contract duration.
Paying him 8-10 for 2 years is easier than 8-10 for 4 years.
He has to be a part of the rebuilding process, which should start eventually, unless Tim "Highlander" Duncan continues to play.

SpursDynasty21
06-13-2013, 04:20 PM
I'd let Splitter leave, assuming the Spurs have a real chance at getting Dwight Howard. I don't see Splitter as a part of the team's future core.

Chinook
06-13-2013, 11:52 PM
I'm sure this thread's going to get a lot of traffic over the next couple of days, so I thought I might as well start.

Splitter's value is dropping tremendously. Re-signing him may not be a no-brainer for the Spurs. If Ginobili retires, the Spurs may consider blowing it up or at least completely overhauling their bench. Splitter may not be part of that anymore.

Baam
06-14-2013, 12:51 AM
Yeah seems like they should do what they can to get T-Rob and work all year on a post game.

We'd have a great rebounder with quick feets who can punish small ball PFs. Splitter won't rebound better, won't ever be a force in the post and had a pretty bad 3 years not matter how you cut it.

bluebellmaniac
06-14-2013, 01:26 AM
I'm sure this thread's going to get a lot of traffic over the next couple of days, so I thought I might as well start.

Splitter's value is dropping tremendously. Re-signing him may not be a no-brainer for the Spurs. If Ginobili retires, the Spurs may consider blowing it up or at least completely overhauling their bench. Splitter may not be part of that anymore.

I have to disagree Chinook. PATFO stuck with Bonner after his poor playoff showings and I'm sure they will do the same with Splitter. If they don't, it will be because he is showing selfishness behind the scenes. I see no indication of that. Right now, Splitter is just making his re-signing a cheaper pricetag. I'd be shocked if we didn't. He's going from $10 - $12M per year to $8-$10M. He has time to bring it back up, in a sense, let's hope he does.

Mr Bones
06-14-2013, 04:41 AM
His recent problems notwithstanding, Splitter is still a useful player, especially against teams with bigger, more traditional centers that play in the post. Unfortunately, Miami is not one of those teams. I can't see the Spurs overpaying just to keep him. I don't think he's a $10 million player.... I see them offering something closer to 7-8, which I think is fair, something along the lines of a Gortat or Ilyasova. If someone offers him 40 mil/4years, I don't think the Spurs would outbid them. At under 25 mpg during the season and under 23 mpg in the playoffs, he just barely qualifies as a true "starter," and Tony Parker-- who was the Spurs' mvp this year-- only makes 12.5.

Mal
06-14-2013, 06:49 AM
Flip him to Phoenix for Gortat in s`n`t.

exstatic
06-14-2013, 07:24 AM
I have to disagree Chinook. PATFO stuck with Bonner after his poor playoff showings and I'm sure they will do the same with Splitter. If they don't, it will be because he is showing selfishness behind the scenes. I see no indication of that. Right now, Splitter is just making his re-signing a cheaper pricetag. I'd be shocked if we didn't. He's going from $10 - $12M per year to $8-$10M. He has time to bring it back up, in a sense, let's hope he does.

Bonner costs $3.75M. It's safe to say that Splitter will cost some multiple of that figure. The Spurs like value, hence Bonner is here.

SpursSerb
06-14-2013, 11:22 AM
Even with his lousy performance in this playoff,i would still resign Splitter.But for 8 mil no way.I wouldn't give him more than 6.

dbestpro
06-14-2013, 12:23 PM
The value of Splitter may actually be in a sign and trade. This opens up possiblites beyond signing free agents. As TD is nearing the end we are in need of a consistent scoring big.

bluebellmaniac
06-14-2013, 03:41 PM
The value of Splitter may actually be in a sign and trade. This opens up possiblites beyond signing free agents. As TD is nearing the end we are in need of a consistent scoring big.

But why would a team give up their consistently scoring big for Splitter?

Captivus
06-14-2013, 06:36 PM
... we are in need of a consistent scoring big.

http://avomnia.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/drooling_homer.gif

CGD
06-14-2013, 06:58 PM
Not sure what would have to happen for this to work since all of the players involved are RFAs, but I would love trading Neal/Splitter for Pekovic. No way Pek gets smothered at the rim by smaller players on a regular basis. Minni solves the Spurs' Neal problem (match an RFA offer or not) plus they get the outside shooting they lack and a serviceable big-man to play PnR with Rubio.

I still like my Chandler idea from a few weeks back (above); though, there is some debate whether it is possible under the new CBA.

BackHome
06-19-2013, 01:26 AM
I would love either one Chandler or Pekovic both players bring it and they play with passion which Splitter lacks. Would even throw in Bonner to get the deal done for Pekovic.

cjw
06-19-2013, 02:03 AM
I would love either one Chandler or Pekovic both players bring it and they play with passion which Splitter lacks. Would even throw in Bonner to get the deal done for Pekovic.

Could make the money work with Pekovic if Manu resigns cheap or retires quickly enough. Full season in the system = dramatic improvement over Tiago. Could then renounce Tiago's rights and go sign a bench guard with the midlevel. Jarrett Jack anyone (ugh)?

Mal
06-19-2013, 02:43 AM
Could make the money work with Pekovic if Manu resigns cheap or retires quickly enough. Full season in the system = dramatic improvement over Tiago. Could then renounce Tiago's rights and go sign a bench guard with the midlevel. Jarrett Jack anyone (ugh)?

Sota will matchup any reasonable offer, and Spurs wont do anything reckless.

eDizzle20
06-19-2013, 08:06 AM
How much does this series play into re-signing Splitter?

Mr Bones
06-19-2013, 02:27 PM
The strange silver lining in the poor play of Tiago and Manu in these finals is that both have probably significantly lowered their salary expectations. If that means the Spurs can pick up one extra impact player... well, it could actually be a good thing.

BackHome
06-20-2013, 11:02 PM
The bad side is Tiago now has zero trade value and do we want Manu back?

objective
06-20-2013, 11:10 PM
Time to let him go.

He can't play for Pop, whatever the reasons.

If a player can't be part of an 8 man rotation in a Finals situation, he can't make more than the MLE. Hell, he can't even justify the MLE.

Better to roll with the unknown and S&T or just renounce and use the capspace.

Chinook
06-20-2013, 11:16 PM
I would consider moving him. He was great in the WCF, so he still has a lot of value to the team. But he may get offered more than the Spurs should want to pay. It's going to be interesting to see how it plays out. It's possible they can sign-and-trade him for something truly good, but I imagine if the team has its druthers, he'll be back.

The much more pressing question is if Bonner will get moved during the draft. With the Spurs loss (and probably sealing of their window) they probably will try to see what they can get for his contract. If they keep him, it could mean that they have a plan to use cap space this off-season.

bluebellmaniac
06-20-2013, 11:38 PM
I think Tiago and Manu come back. I think Manu is signed to a 2 yr deal with the 2nd year either fully or partially unguaranteed. Tiago should now be cheaper and he'll be a better player next season.

Almost guys.... almost.

eDizzle20
06-20-2013, 11:38 PM
The most discouraging thing is that this is the second straight season that Tiago has disappeared/benched in rounds where the Spurs were eliminated. He's a great post defender and pick n roll player, but he couldn't trusted down the stretch in this series.

Mal
06-21-2013, 03:41 AM
And all comes down to price. Around his QO, I`d take him. Aroung 10 mil, I`d let him go.

smaka
06-21-2013, 04:18 AM
If any team is willing to overpay him, let him go. He showed in the playoffs that he is not ready for the big stages. But then the question that comes to my mind is, who could be a potential 7-footer to replace him? :wtf I don't know man, if the Spurs keep him, he should give them the discount for how he played vs Heat :lol

Bruno
06-21-2013, 04:33 AM
Splitter playoffs stats: 6.1 pppg and 3.1 rpg in 20.4 mpg. His rebounding stats are just awful for a 7 footer. Even Bargnani is a better rebounder. :wow

$8M per year should be the absolute most Spurs should give him.

smaka
06-21-2013, 04:45 AM
Splitter playoffs stats: 6.1 pppg and 3.1 rpg in 20.4 mpg. His rebounding stats are just awful for a 7 footer. Even Bargnani is a better rebounder. :wow

$8M per year should be the absolute most Spurs should give him.

I think I will never understand how a 7-footer can't grab more than 3 rebounds in 20 minutes... :bang

objective
06-21-2013, 05:20 AM
Don't see how he's worth that much to the Spurs, if they're serious about trying for another title.

ernest787
06-21-2013, 07:34 AM
It's been said over and over again. Splitter is soft.

During the regular season he's a solid big man, but come playoff time when the "nasty" level gets upped he just doesn't have it in him.

Ive never seen a 7 footer get rejected so many times by 6'6" guys.

Wouldnt mind him back but it better not be for 10-11 mil a year

dbestpro
06-21-2013, 08:02 AM
Splitter may best suited for a sign and trade. The Spurs more than ever will need to shake things up.

SpursDynasty21
06-21-2013, 11:40 AM
I hope the Spurs look elsewhere, and let Splitter go.

TheGoldStandard
06-21-2013, 01:35 PM
I'd offer him a swift kick in the ass out the door, Tiago does not deserve to be wearing a Spurs jersey next season. Let's move on and find a big for once please.

CGD
06-21-2013, 02:25 PM
Spurs arent going to make the first offer. The market will set his price. Spurs will probably pay upto 9M I think.

DrunkTXLabrat
06-21-2013, 02:49 PM
i hope he stays for somewhere between 7.5 and 10. the closer to 7.5, the better. baynes may not be enough insurance. gobert is looking like a really good target.

Nathan89
06-21-2013, 02:54 PM
8 mil for a dude that couldn't even play decent backup minutes behind Tim in the finals is way too much.

DrunkTXLabrat
06-21-2013, 03:18 PM
i think splitters problem is more with pop than splitter.

DrunkTXLabrat
06-21-2013, 03:19 PM
manu is a different subject. he is losing it. if he doesn't retire, he should be a really cheap one year deal.

CGD
06-21-2013, 03:28 PM
He had a good regular season, and played well against Memphis and the Lakers in the playoffs, especially on the defensive end. He was finally able to stay injury free, he improved his free throws, and his ability to play PnR was key to the Spurs regular season success. Sure he shrank in the finals, but part of that was MIA going small thanks to the freak of nature athlete that is LBJ. Yes he has an inability to punish the smaller player in the post and to grab rebounds, but MIA's athletes impacted a lot of the guys on the team. In the end, the Spurs might have to overpay to keep a guy who knows the system. Given the options out there, not sure they can afford not to.

DesignatedT
06-21-2013, 04:03 PM
This is a tough one. Tiago is a good player and I think the Spurs should re-sign him but I also think the Spurs should add another big as well. Something around 7M/yr is fair to me. Like a 4 yr/28.

bluebellmaniac
06-21-2013, 04:08 PM
It's been said over and over again. Splitter is soft.

During the regular season he's a solid big man, but come playoff time when the "nasty" level gets upped he just doesn't have it in him.

Ive never seen a 7 footer get rejected so many times by 6'6" guys.

Wouldnt mind him back but it better not be for 10-11 mil a year

Yeah, it's not so hard to reject a 7 footer when he doesn't jump. Or can't jump. Whichever. Every time he couldn't outjump a 6' 6" probably cost him $100-$200k. $8M should be the peak he gets paid, as Bruno mentioned.

I love Manu, but the Room Exception should be his max for next year. With an unguaranteed 2nd year since he won't play more than 1 more year. How could he play more than 1 yr with what we saw? I do love him, he's a HOF.

SpursSerb
06-21-2013, 04:16 PM
SnT seem like the best option for Splitter.I don't want the Spurs to pay 8 mil for 6 points and 3 rebounds per game.I'm allergic on big guys who can't rebound.

Mr Bones
06-21-2013, 04:36 PM
Tough call. Had the Pacers managed to beat the Heat, Splitter would have been in a much better match up and would've been more valuable. I understand the frustration many have, but a 6'11" center with a PER of nearly 19 isn't exactly easy to come by either. That's why I'm so in favor of them pursuing Brandan Wright-- he's exactly the long, quick, athletic shot blocking center that Splitter isn't, and would be a much better match up against teams like Miami and Golden State. Having both of those guys seems like a pretty good solution-by-committee approach.

TheGoldStandard
06-21-2013, 06:46 PM
Tiago can't rebound and he can't score.. things we will need next season. Cut him loose.

Knoxxx
06-21-2013, 07:39 PM
We have to formulate a roster that can beat Miami's elite small ball. Splitter can't even stay on the floor against them, he must go. Aside from the lack of scoring and rebounding, you forgot to mention his worst defect which is being a very weak rim defender. Miami and OKC remain top two foes and attack the rim aggressively. Tim has to play under 35 minutes in the playoffs or he is too tired in crunch time. Splitter couldn't buy him anywhere that time, we'd have been run out the gym!

BackHome
06-22-2013, 11:31 AM
Still need a team that will have to take on Flakers. Grizz, Clipp. and then Heat.

DrunkTXLabrat
06-22-2013, 03:02 PM
We have to formulate a roster that can beat Miami's elite small ball. Splitter can't even stay on the floor against them, he must go. Aside from the lack of scoring and rebounding, you forgot to mention his worst defect which is being a very weak rim defender. Miami and OKC remain top two foes and attack the rim aggressively. Tim has to play under 35 minutes in the playoffs or he is too tired in crunch time. Splitter couldn't buy him anywhere that time, we'd have been run out the gym!

bring splitter back. play baynes. and fill out the turd tower void with aminu, clark, and brandon davies from the draft. parker, cojo, decolo, mills/fa for point. timmy, splitter, baynes, diaw for paint. the rest can be big well rounded 3/4s. shots, screens, passes, boards, rips, blocks.

DrunkTXLabrat
06-22-2013, 03:03 PM
^
l
l
l

Still need a team that will have to take on Flakers. Grizz, Clipp. and then Heat.

CGD
06-23-2013, 09:33 AM
Is there a way that the Spurs could just have Splitter play out the rest of his contract at the sub-5m rate? The timing would be best since they'd have an idea if Duncan is going to retire next year or not. No sense paying him big bucks thisnsummer as the spurs head into rebuild mode after next year.

AFBlue
06-23-2013, 10:25 AM
Is there a way that the Spurs could just have Splitter play out the rest of his contract at the sub-5m rate? The timing would be best since they'd have an idea if Duncan is going to retire next year or not. No sense paying him big bucks thisnsummer as the spurs head into rebuild mode after next year.

It's possible they could extend him a qualifying offer and he doesn't sign an offer sheet from another team on a multi-year contract. Possible...but not likely at all. He's the second best defensive big on the market after Howard, so he's gonna get paid.

BackHome
06-23-2013, 11:57 AM
The guy from the Wolves is the second best big man..

ace3g
06-24-2013, 03:59 PM
John Canzano @JohnCanzanoBFT
(http://twitter.com/JohnCanzanoBFT)Source: Trail Blazers have interest in restricted FAs Tiago Splitter & Nikola Peković as potential free-agent signing. More on @750TheGame (http://twitter.com/750TheGame)

Chinook
06-24-2013, 04:58 PM
John Canzano @JohnCanzanoBFT
(http://twitter.com/JohnCanzanoBFT)Source: Trail Blazers have interest in restricted FAs Tiago Splitter & Nikola Peković as potential free-agent signing. More on @750TheGame (http://twitter.com/750TheGame)

Then an Aldridge trade is an actual possibility.

Knoxxx
06-24-2013, 05:15 PM

Therein lies the crux of the issue. Not sure Tiago will get the time on the court with TD still prominently in our picture. More touches and playing time are about the only things I see developing TS further, though I am not holding my breath there.

Knoxxx
06-24-2013, 05:17 PM
Then an Aldridge trade is an actual possibility.

Certainly worth exploring sign and trade options such as Splitter, Neal, and other chips like S Jax and Bonner contracts. It may be Portland just wants to go another direction financially than Aldridge which could be a great thing for us.

Any player that has ability but shown low BB IQ, we can still hope with better coaching, system, teammates etc. would fit better with us.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-30-2013, 12:05 AM
I wonder why the Spurs still haven't given him the QO.

AFBlue
06-30-2013, 12:15 AM
I wonder why the Spurs still haven't given him the QO.

Could it be that they have and it just hasn't been reported? By when do they have to have it extended to make him officially a "restricted" free agent; tomorrow midnight?

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-30-2013, 12:21 AM
Could it be that they have and it just hasn't been reported? By when do they have to have it extended to make him officially a "restricted" free agent; tomorrow midnight?

Yeah, 30th is the last day to do so.

AFBlue
06-30-2013, 12:29 AM
Yeah, 30th is the last day to do so.

That's what I thought. Odd...but I would assume its coming. Unless they've decided they want to go in another direction for sure and want to maximize cap flexibility, it makes too much sense to extend the QO.

Bruno
06-30-2013, 12:36 AM
Spurs don't always report QO. For example, it was never known if in 2007 Spurs made a QO to make Oberto restricted.

CGD
06-30-2013, 10:12 AM
^ that make sense, but with Splitter being a bigger name than Oberto it strikes me as odd that we haven't heard anything yet. Same goes for Neal.

pad300
06-30-2013, 06:51 PM
Spurs don't always report QO. For example, it was never known if in 2007 Spurs made a QO to make Oberto restricted.

Yes, the Spurs have extended the QO to Tiago:

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/6/30/4480414/nba-free-agency-tiago-splitter-gary-neal-qualifying-offers

They have also extended a QO to Gary Neal.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-30-2013, 10:03 PM
Tiago Splitter to receive lucrative offer

San Antonio Spurs restricted free-agent center Tiago Splitter could command an offer sheet that averages $8.5 million to $9 million annually, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The Portland Trail Blazers are expected to be a suitor for Splitter, league sources said. The Utah Jazz and Atlanta Hawks have salary-cap space, a need for a young center and general managers – Dennis Lindsey and Danny Ferry, respectively – who were Spurs front-office executives when Splitter came into the organization.

The Spurs will be in a strong position to match an offer sheet and keep Splitter, because they'll free of Stephen Jackson's $10 million salary and expect to re-sign Manu Ginobili at a lesser salary than the $14.1 million he made this season.

The baseline for a Splitter offer sheet will likely be the three-year, $25 million deal that Houston awarded center Omer Asik in free agency a year ago, sources told Y! Sports.
– Adrian Wojnarowski, 10:56 p.m. ET, June 30

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--nba-free-agent-buzz--tony-allen-draws-interest-from-grizzlies--pacers--bucks--knicks-234954522.html

Seventyniner
07-01-2013, 09:10 AM
Would this "baseline" 3/25 deal like Asik got also have a poison pill? Taking a $15M cap hit in 2015-2016 might make the Spurs balk, right?

lurker23
07-01-2013, 12:42 PM
Would this "baseline" 3/25 deal like Asik got also have a poison pill? Taking a $15M cap hit in 2015-2016 might make the Spurs balk, right?

I was just discussing this (and stumbling over it) in the main Spurs forum. Looking at it closer, I think poison pill type contracts are only possible if the player is a 2nd round pick, and the team in question only has "Early Bird Rights" (that is, only 2 years with the team). Since Splitter was a first round pick, and has been with the Spurs for 3 years (thus giving them full "Bird Rights"), then the type of raises that Asik and Lin had written into their (original) offer sheets aren't legal.

Can someone else confirm this?

ace3g
07-01-2013, 02:02 PM
Tiago Splitter @tiagosplitter
(http://twitter.com/tiagosplitter)Galera, meu plano era defender a Seleção na Copa América, mas infelizmente não poderei pq estou em processo de renovação contratual...

(http://twitter.com/tiagosplitter)o que impossibilita fazer o seguro para q pudesse jogar.Esta vez estarei na torcida. Já comuniquei ao Magnano e espero voltar logo à seleção

(http://twitter.com/tiagosplitter)Aproveitei pra programr um trabalho de recuperação física e uma parada um pouco +longa este ano que foi o + difícil da minh carreira ate hj.

DesignatedT
07-01-2013, 02:15 PM
translation needed

elemento
07-01-2013, 02:23 PM
(http://twitter.com/tiagosplitter)Galera, meu plano era defender a Seleção na Copa América, mas infelizmente não poderei pq estou em processo de renovação contratual...

My plan was to defend the national team in the "Copa América tournment", but unfortunately i won't be able to play because of my contract situation

(http://twitter.com/tiagosplitter)o que impossibilita fazer o seguro para q pudesse jogar.Esta vez estarei na torcida. Já comuniquei ao Magnano e espero voltar logo à seleção

I can't have an insurance to play because of that (contract situation). I will only be cheering this time. I've already told Magnano that (Brazil NT coach) and I hope to be back to the NT soon.

(http://twitter.com/tiagosplitter)Aproveitei pra programr um trabalho de recuperação física e uma parada um pouco +longa este ano que foi o + difícil da minh carreira ate hj.

I've scheduled a physical recovery program and I will rest a bit more this year because it was the toughest year of my life.

elemento
07-01-2013, 02:26 PM
Hope it helps DT :toast

DesignatedT
07-01-2013, 02:31 PM
Hope it helps DT :toast

DesignatedT
07-02-2013, 02:26 PM
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 10s
Hearing Spurs and Tiago Splitter have ramped up talks and are making progress toward deal terms