PDA

View Full Version : Eco-car more efficient than light bulb

Jimcs50
07-06-2005, 01:26 PM
Eco-car more efficient than light bulb

Tuesday, July 5, 2005 Posted: 0953 GMT (1753 HKT)

Kart racer Jack Dex, 13, will drive the Ech2o prototype at this week's Shell Eco Marathon.VISIONARIES

LONDON, England (CNN) -- An eco-car that can travel the world using a fraction of the electricity it takes to power a light bulb has been unveiled by its British creators.

The hydrogen-powered Ech2o needs just 25 Watts -- the equivalent of less than two gallons of petrol -- to complete the 25,000-mile global trip, while emitting nothing more hazardous than water, the UK's Press Association reported.

But with a top speed of 30mph, the journey would take more than a month to complete, even if the car was driven flat out with no pit-stops.

On Thursday Ech2o, built by British gas firm BOC, will bid to smash the world fuel efficiency record of over 10,000 miles per gallon at the Shell Eco Marathon at the Rockingham Raceway track in the UK.

The record is currently held by the PAC-Car II, a hydrogen-fueled Swiss vehicle, that traveled the equivalent of 5,385 km/per liter at a testing track in France.

The BOC Ech2o, which was originally designed to demonstrate fuel efficiency, is a remodeling of the BOC Gh2ost which failed to break the world record in Aberdeen last year.

Unlike most other eco-marathon vehicles that run on petrol or diesel, the BOC Ech2o's driving force comes from electricity, created in a hydrogen fuel cell.

John Carolin, BOC global director sustainable energy, told the PA: "It sounds unbelievable how little power is used to keep the BOC Ech2o moving, but it demonstrates the impact of careful design and is a valuable lesson for car makers in the future.

"The lessons from this and other projects will show that hydrogen fuel cell powered vehicles could be a practical, attractive and a viable economic alternative to diesel or petrol fueled vehicles."

This is great, but would BigZak fit in it?

:)

bigzak25
07-06-2005, 02:39 PM
well, i am 3/4'ths mexican...

they lost me at 30 mph.

SWC Bonfire
07-06-2005, 02:44 PM
"The lessons from this and other projects will show that hydrogen fuel cell powered vehicles could be a practical, attractive and a viable economic alternative to diesel or petrol fueled vehicles."

Now all they have to do is find a practical, attractive and viable economic source of hydrogen. It currently is being stripped from methane/natural gas. And no, getting hydrogen from water is not economically viable.

But fuel cell technology is improving. The big breakthrough will be finding something similar that will convert existing fuels (like natural gas) into electricity in a portable envelope.

Sportcamper
07-06-2005, 03:11 PM
Isn’t the real issue...
How does a hydrogen-powered fuel cell automobile fare in a serious collision... :lol

Jimcs50
07-06-2005, 03:23 PM
Isn’t the real issue...
How does a hydrogen-powered fuel cell automobile fare in a serious collision... :lol

Going 30mph sort of eliminates "serious" from the word collision...yes?

:)

Sportcamper
07-06-2005, 03:29 PM
Well if the vehicle is going 30 mph & a Chevrolet Suburban is going 40 mph & they collide head on...Does that mean a small hydrogen bomb goes off?

Jimcs50
07-06-2005, 03:52 PM
Well if the vehicle is going 30 mph & a Chevrolet Suburban is going 40 mph & they collide head on...Does that mean a small hydrogen bomb goes off?

There will not be any Suburbans on the road when we are driving Hyrogen cars.

Speaking of Suburbans, one thing that tickles me is seeing these huge SUVs driving around with those Red White and Blue ribbon stickers stating "Support our Troups" How funny is that? Let's buy cars that get 10mpg so we can give the Arabs, our enemies, even more money so they can buy more bombs and guns to kill our troops that you are supporting. :rolleyes

Just more absurdity to deal with every day of our lives.

Sportcamper
07-06-2005, 03:57 PM
I wish my 454 Chevrolet Suburban got 10 mpg...More like 8.5 mpg...

Mr. Ash
07-06-2005, 03:59 PM

Are you kidding?

Jimcs50
07-06-2005, 04:02 PM
Are you kidding?

yes

Sportcamper
07-06-2005, 04:16 PM
Hey we all know that hydrogen fuel works... The Hindenburg proved that... :lol
http://www.edwardsamuels.com/illustratedstory/chapter%208/hindenburg.jpg

SWC Bonfire
07-06-2005, 04:16 PM
^^^ Beat me to it.