View Full Version : 2013 Amnesty Candidate: Carlos Boozer

Bruno
03-14-2013, 09:30 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_carlos_boozer.jpg
Born: Nov 20, 1981
Height: 6-9 / 2.06
Weight: 266 lbs. / 120.7 kg.
Prior to NBA / Country: Duke / USA

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/carlos_boozer/career_stats.html)

2 years left on his contract

Bruno
06-03-2013, 12:21 AM
The likely low cap number makes a potential Boozer amnesty and claim by Spurs a way more realistic scenario.

On Bulls side, the low salary cap means a low luxury tax level. The LT threshold should be at $71M. If Bulls keep Boozer, and even if they go very cheap to fill their roster, their payroll will be at least at $77M/$78M. It means paying $8.3M/$10M in tax. Add to that $2M/$3M Bulls won't get in redistribution and the money saved with a team claiming a part of his salary. At the end, a Boozer amnesty would save Bulls about $15M.

On Spurs side, the low salary cap number means that their cap space will be close to $5M than to $10M. They won't have the money to go after the main free agents but a $5M per year waiver claim on Boozer should work.

Seventyniner
06-03-2013, 03:10 PM
But would he be willing to come off the bench? I'm discounting the nauseating scenario of the Spurs letting Tiago walk and trying to replace him with Boozer.

I agree that he would be a very good third big and a worthy use of the little cap space the Spurs will have. Especially if he's significantly cheaper (plus shorter contract) than Millsap, Al Jeff, etc.

Chinook
06-03-2013, 04:09 PM
I don't like Boozer's fit on the Spurs. He's been pretty bad in Chicago on defense, and that's with DPOY-candidate-in-his-prime Noah next to him. I think the Spurs would be eaten up with the PnR if Boozer started. He and Diaw off the bench would make an undersized duo, and I don't think you try to move Baynes up to back-up center just to cover up Boozer's weaknesses.

I would much rather pick up World Peace to back up Leonard from the amnesty waivers than get Boozer. Re-sign Splitter, keep developing the young players and perhaps draft a big: That should be the way the Spurs handle their interior.

freetiago
06-03-2013, 05:46 PM
If the Spurs have a shot at talent they go for it
its about championships now
not building for the future with mediocore cores like old Parker/Leonard/Splitter

td4mvp2k
06-03-2013, 06:07 PM
If the Spurs have a shot at talent they go for it
its about championships now
not building for the future with mediocore cores like old Parker/Leonard/Splitter

+1

exstatic
06-03-2013, 09:20 PM
I still hate him for punking the blind former owner of the Cavs. Boozer is bitch-made. Not Spurs material.

Spursfanfromafar
06-03-2013, 09:24 PM
Boozer is not a Popovich kinda player. On a defensively minded Bulls team, he has been the worst defender and has also been an under-achiever when given the leading role.

100%duncan
06-04-2013, 10:06 AM
No.

Seventyniner
06-04-2013, 02:41 PM
I don't like Boozer's fit on the Spurs. He's been pretty bad in Chicago on defense, and that's with DPOY-candidate-in-his-prime Noah next to him. I think the Spurs would be eaten up with the PnR if Boozer started. He and Diaw off the bench would make an undersized duo, and I don't think you try to move Baynes up to back-up center just to cover up Boozer's weaknesses.

I would much rather pick up World Peace to back up Leonard from the amnesty waivers than get Boozer. Re-sign Splitter, keep developing the young players and perhaps draft a big: That should be the way the Spurs handle their interior.

But who's the backup center now? Boozer could eat up Bonner and Blair's minutes plus a few from Diaw and maybe Duncan during the regular season.

I think it would depend on the cost. Can a team put bids in for multiple amnesty players? If the Spurs could put a $4-5M bid for Boozer on the table and still be able to make a small bid on MWP (who else would take that chance?), re-sign Tiago, and keep Manu, I think it would have to be tried.

Richie
06-04-2013, 05:32 PM
I think Boozer would be a great fit with the Spurs tbh. He can hit the mid range so he could play with Splitter. A front court of Splitter/Boozer/Diaw alone could get us a top playoff seed, it would give us so much flexibility with resting Duncan.

Can you bid on amnestied players with exceptions or just cap space?

We have so many options with cap space this year. With the cap projected to go up by $4m in 2014, kicking the can down the road a year is an option and trying to get a max player next summer for Manu and Timmys last year.

Alternatively, the question is how much better are the other free agents this summer than Boozer? If we are going to use our cap space this year, is Millsap or Jefferson better than Boozer? I don't think so. A big factor is that Boozers contract would only be 2 years compared to 4+ for any free agent we sign, which would give us huge flexibility in 2015 when Timmy and Manu retire to rebuild around Parker/Kawhi.

Chinook
06-04-2013, 05:57 PM
But who's the backup center now? Boozer could eat up Bonner and Blair's minutes plus a few from Diaw and maybe Duncan during the regular season.

I think it would depend on the cost. Can a team put bids in for multiple amnesty players? If the Spurs could put a $4-5M bid for Boozer on the table and still be able to make a small bid on MWP (who else would take that chance?), re-sign Tiago, and keep Manu, I think it would have to be tried.

I'm thinking more about the rotation than talent. He doesn't really fit with anyone because he's such a poor defender. He can barely back it with a DPOY candidate in his prime; there's no way he can make it with Diaw as the center of the second unit. So he'd have to start, and while I've always been vocal about wanting Splitter back on the bench, I wouldn't do it for Boozer. He and Duncan could have a lot of defensive issues, and Boozer's offense isn't needed with the starters. So Diaw would start and Boozer and Splitter would come off the bench. That might work if Boozer is a consistent producer, but he's been a huge flop in Chicago in regards to being a go-to player.

For $5 Million? Perhaps he'd be worth it. However, I'm not going to pretend like I like him any more than Baynes. The Spurs have a good big rotation as it is, and inserting a black hole and poor defender isn't the way to improve in the short term. Yes, it may help on days where Duncan doesn't play, but I'd rather see the Spurs use the cap space or MLE on someone else.

Seventyniner
06-04-2013, 08:35 PM
I'm thinking more about the rotation than talent. He doesn't really fit with anyone because he's such a poor defender. He can barely back it with a DPOY candidate in his prime; there's no way he can make it with Diaw as the center of the second unit. So he'd have to start, and while I've always been vocal about wanting Splitter back on the bench, I wouldn't do it for Boozer. He and Duncan could have a lot of defensive issues, and Boozer's offense isn't needed with the starters. So Diaw would start and Boozer and Splitter would come off the bench. That might work if Boozer is a consistent producer, but he's been a huge flop in Chicago in regards to being a go-to player.

For $5 Million? Perhaps he'd be worth it. However, I'm not going to pretend like I like him any more than Baynes. The Spurs have a good big rotation as it is, and inserting a black hole and poor defender isn't the way to improve in the short term. Yes, it may help on days where Duncan doesn't play, but I'd rather see the Spurs use the cap space or MLE on someone else.

Richie's point above is good, that Splitter/Boozer would actually work pretty well. The problem is that Splitter/Duncan works really well too. You'd have to move Diaw to the starting lineup.

A black hole can be alright off the bench if he's as good as Boozer is offensively.

As far as Boozer being a go-to player, sure he's awful as a first or second option. But he'd probably be one of the best bench bigs in the league if he would accept that role. If the Spurs consider making a bid for him, could they call him first and gauge his interest at coming off the bench before deciding to actually submit the bid?

Richie
06-04-2013, 10:09 PM
Richie's point above is good, that Splitter/Boozer would actually work pretty well. The problem is that Splitter/Duncan works really well too. You'd have to move Diaw to the starting lineup.

A black hole can be alright off the bench if he's as good as Boozer is offensively.

As far as Boozer being a go-to player, sure he's awful as a first or second option. But he'd probably be one of the best bench bigs in the league if he would accept that role. If the Spurs consider making a bid for him, could they call him first and gauge his interest at coming off the bench before deciding to actually submit the bid?

I don't think this is the case at all. Start Splitter/Duncan, have Boozer as the first big off the bench. There's no reason we couldn't play Diaw/Boozer together for a few minutes per night just as we play Bonner/Diaw now.

1Q 00:00 - 06:00 - Duncan/Splitter
1Q 06:00 - 09:00 - Duncan/Boozer
1Q 09:00 - 2Q 03:00 - Boozer/Diaw
2Q 03:00 - 07:00 - Splitter/Boozer
2Q 07:00 - 12:00 - Duncan/Splitter

Repeat 2nd half. That gives you...

Timmy 28 mpg
Splitter 30 mpg
Boozer 26 mpg
Diaw 12 mpg

Plenty of rest for Timmy and Boozer would get plenty of touches with the bench. Basically Diaw becomes this seasons Bonner and Boozer would take Diaws minutes. If Diaw/Bonner can work, Diaw/Boozer can work.

pad300
06-05-2013, 09:48 AM
Ok, understand ahead of time that I don't want Bonner on my team, despite his current good playoff run... But if you give me a choice between Bonner and Carlos Loozer, I'll sign Bonner every time. You'll win just as much, and the team will be a hell of a lot more likeable...

elemento
06-05-2013, 10:01 AM
I don't like Boozer, but if he comes for cheap with an amnesty bid I wouldn't complain.

Yeah, he has his flaws, but for a fraction of the money that he gets now, he would be a good addition.

Chinook
06-05-2013, 03:39 PM
I don't think this is the case at all. Start Splitter/Duncan, have Boozer as the first big off the bench. There's no reason we couldn't play Diaw/Boozer together for a few minutes per night just as we play Bonner/Diaw now.

1Q 00:00 - 06:00 - Duncan/Splitter
1Q 06:00 - 09:00 - Duncan/Boozer
1Q 09:00 - 2Q 03:00 - Boozer/Diaw
2Q 03:00 - 07:00 - Splitter/Boozer
2Q 07:00 - 12:00 - Duncan/Splitter

Repeat 2nd half. That gives you...

Timmy 28 mpg
Splitter 30 mpg
Boozer 26 mpg
Diaw 12 mpg

Plenty of rest for Timmy and Boozer would get plenty of touches with the bench. Basically Diaw becomes this seasons Bonner and Boozer would take Diaws minutes. If Diaw/Bonner can work, Diaw/Boozer can work.

I'd take Diaw in front of Boozer any day. Diaw is probably the most mobile big on the team, or second if Splitter is faster. Diaw is a better passer and has more range. Plus, he's clearly the better defender (hell, Bonner is a better defender than Boozer). He's not worth anything more than the fourth-big role on the team; he shouldn't get minutes like he is.

ducks
06-18-2013, 03:27 PM
boozer for mat booner

Sdayi135
06-18-2013, 03:47 PM
I'd take Diaw in front of Boozer any day. Diaw is probably the most mobile big on the team, or second if Splitter is faster. Diaw is a better passer and has more range. Plus, he's clearly the better defender (hell, Bonner is a better defender than Boozer). He's not worth anything more than the fourth-big role on the team; he shouldn't get minutes like he is.

This

Drew Gooden 2.0....book it.