PDA

View Full Version : FIBA.com Interview:Manu-mania strikes Argentina

Kori Ellis
07-06-2005, 01:37 PM
06/07/2005
ARG - Manu-mania strikes Argentina

BAHIA BLANCA (Basketball Without Borders) - If Manu Ginobili had little to write about after the summer holidays back in his school days, then things have certainly changed.

The San Antonio Spurs guard is spending his free time away from his hectic life in the NBA by spreading the gospel of hoops back in Argentina.

You have to see it to believe it.

Hospitals, orphanages, schools and basketball clubs have welcomed their sporting hero home with open arms.

There have been fans in endless queues who want to shake Ginobili's hand.

The wait is worth it for the 6ft 6in star who inspired Kinder Bologna to the 2001 Euroleague crown is now an international icon after leading Argentina to Olympic gold, and recently firing the Spurs to their second NBA crown in three years.

Ginobili, famous for his dazzling and unpredictably drives to the basket and his risk-taking on defence, averaged more than 18 points a game in the 4-3 victory over Detroit in the NBA Finals.

Wherever he plays, be in at the Olympics, in North America or the Far East next year for FIBA World Championship 2006 in Japan, Argentina could not have asked for a better representative.

The effect is that there is hoops euphoria in Argentina.

"It's gratifying to have caused a revolution in my country," Ginobili said.

"I'm extremely happy that my efforts have been recognised at home. I've had to battle a lot in order to win titles and be where I am today.

"I'm simply delighted with the reception I'm getting."

Basketball Without Borders camps are always a hit because aspiring players rub shoulders with the best in the business, but they also learn important lessons about life.

FIBA and NBA Latin America could not have picked a better place than Buenos Aires because of `Manu-mania'.

"It was beautiful to share the passion for this game with young players and with people in need," said Ginobili, who hails from Bahia Blanca.

"To see youngsters looking at you in awe, listening to what you have to say and wanting to learn in order to one day follow my footsteps is very beautiful and touching.

"I think that what the NBA and FIBA are doing in the world is fantastic."

The youngsters are learning, but so is Ginobili.

One thing he discovered at the BWB training camp is that coaching is not for him.

Among his duties was to assist Spurs coach Brett Brown on the bench in one of the All-Star games for the campers, with fellow Argentinian Andres Nocioni of the Chicago Bulls helping coach the other side.

"I really enjoyed the experience," said Ginobili. "But coaching is not something that is on my future plans."

And yet he is happy to give advice to those who want to make a career in basketball.

"What they have to understand is that many things have to work in your favour in order to reach the highest level," he said.

"I learned a lot from all my coaches who made me improve and guided me to where I am now but I've also had a lot of support from my family, who have been there all the way.

"What I do tell them is that above all, they have to enjoy playing the game and to continue to cultivate their love for basketball.

"From a technical point of view, they have to spend a lot of time practicing shots under the basket."

Ginobili, in his prime at 27, is well aware of the big expectation his success in the NBA has caused.

Much of the revived passion for the game in the South American country is down to him.

"Basketball has always been popular in Argentina," said Ginobili.

"But it has certainly grown more considering our success in Athens and my career in the NBA."

And it will no doubt continue to grow with Ginobili certain to make a lot of noise in the NBA, and in Japan where he expects to take care of unfinished business from Indianapolis in 2002 next year with Argentina.

The FIBA World Championship gold was almost his and Argentina's in Indiana but Yugoslavia beat the South Americans in a final that went to overtime.

Ginobili, who got hurt in the semi-final win over Germany, played sparingly in the title game defeat.

That gold is the only important medal missing from his awards cupboard.

"The NBA is the ideal atmosphere for a player," said Ginobili, who played in the NBA All-Star Game this season.

"It's simply spectacular and I'm delighted to be a part of it.

"As for Japan, my idea is to play in the FIBA World Championship because it's a great competition and I enjoy playing with my national team, where I have many friends.

"I know there is still one year to go and anything can happen but I really want to be there."

PA International's Cindy Garcia-Bennett interviewed Emanuel Ginobili on behalf of FIBA

http://www.fiba.com

WalterBenitez
07-06-2005, 02:05 PM
Japan 2006 ... are you ready for Manu?

GoSpurs21
07-06-2005, 02:26 PM
2006 championships...what the hell are you thinking Manu?
Your body can only take so much pounding, you should take the summers off to prolong your NBA career. You have earned it. No reason to play in the summers anymore, you have nothing left to prove.

timvp
07-06-2005, 02:39 PM
Ginobili needs to retire from international competition.

Go out on top.

spurschick
07-06-2005, 02:44 PM
He hasn't committed himself to anything with his national team. He has already said that winning in Athens got the losing the World Championships monkey off his back. He's obviously exhausted after the crazy schedule he's been keeping the last few years. I wouldn't be surprised if he hung up #5.

hendrix
07-06-2005, 03:21 PM
I dont know where... Japan 2006 or Beijing 2008, but he's far from retired from the National Team. Believe.

MaNuMaNiAc
07-06-2005, 03:24 PM
He hasn't committed himself to anything with his national team. He has already said that winning in Athens got the losing the World Championships monkey off his back. He's obviously exhausted after the crazy schedule he's been keeping the last few years. I wouldn't be surprised if he hung up #5.
not a chance, anyone who knows argentinian athletes know that representing our country is the highest honor. In fact, with the exception of few medicore ones, I haven't heard of any Argentinian athlete who has declined to play for the national team, other than maybe scheduling conflicts. Ofcourse he could choose which competitions he's going to be in, and which ones are not as important.

johndraegerhhs
07-06-2005, 04:41 PM
yea

spurschick
07-06-2005, 05:10 PM
not a chance, anyone who knows argentinian athletes know that representing our country is the highest honor. In fact, with the exception of few medicore ones, I haven't heard of any Argentinian athlete who has declined to play for the national team, other than maybe scheduling conflicts. Ofcourse he could choose which competitions he's going to be in, and which ones are not as important.

I'm not saying I don't want him to play for his national team and I know it's a great honor. I just recall reading some recent interviews where he sounds kind of iffy on when and where he will play.

SuperManu!!!
07-06-2005, 07:13 PM
PLaying for your country is the highest honor a player can get. Sadly, not all players think of that. In the last years, most people want to play in the nba just to make big bucks. I remember in this last olympics that a lot of players refused to go even if they were healthy.

GrandeDavid
07-06-2005, 07:39 PM
That's such a nice story! Manu is a class act and I think its cool that Pop went along for the ride. And just imagine if Scola does come over, does have that motor he's supposed to have, and we have two Argentinian studs on the Spurs roster. I think then you'll really see not just Manu Mania, but Spurs Mania in Argentina.

smeagol
07-06-2005, 08:50 PM
Ginobili needs to retire from international competition.

Go out on top.
It will not happen. He might slow down a bit, but not retire completely. I can bet money he will be in China in '08 defending the Gold Medal (I will have to wait a long time to collect my bet, though)