PDA

View Full Version : There has to be a way to attract better people to teaching.

Drachen
03-15-2013, 09:51 AM
Stupid teacher story (http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/15/4107710/teacher-gives-third-graders-lie-detector-test-with-smartphone-app)

WTFUCKINF!

It's bad enough that a third-grade teacher at a Virginia elementary school forced her kids to submit to a lie detector test when some candy disappeared from the classroom. But the fact that the unnamed educator used a "thumb reader" smartphone app for the test — somehow believing the results would be accurate — makes the story even more bizarre. That's exactly what happened at Dearington Elementary School, where an entire third-grade class was subjected to the bogus truth-telling exam. Considering the age of the students (and that they had no way of realizing the silliness of the test equipment), parents are in an uproar over the situation.

As you'd imagine, many are calling for the teacher's firing, and she's getting little in the way of support from the local parent-teacher organization. “The phone test isn’t something used in the court of law, but it’s just the fact that the children were subjected,” Kelly Brown-Hampton, head of the PTO, told ABC News. “A lot of them were scared to tell their parents, fearing they would get in trouble.”

And what of the kids? To some, the experienced was almost traumatic. “I was scared because what if it came back and said I did it when I really didn’t,” said third-grader Zimeyia Alexander, speaking to local ABC affiliate WSET. Considering the utterly bogus, randomized nature of these apps, the odds of that scenario playing out were extraordinarily high. Sure enough, reports indicate at least one student "failed" the lie detector test.

mrsmaalox
03-15-2013, 09:58 AM
I can't help imagining the scenario where the fat kid with sticky candy fingers and chocolate smeared on his mouth was the one who failed the test :lmao

Summers
03-15-2013, 10:16 AM
I think it takes a long time to figure out which teachers are bad/stupid because most people do not talk to their kids' teachers. Last year, my kid (3rd grade) was going through some medical issues and we were switching medications that were going to affect his lucidity at school, so I was calling his teacher every couple weeks to see how he was doing. At one point, I apologized to the teacher for taking so much of his time and he said, "Honestly, none of the other parents ever call me. I enjoy hearing from you. Please don't apologize." Hm.

bus driver
03-15-2013, 10:22 AM
pay more

mrsmaalox
03-15-2013, 10:29 AM
I think it takes a long time to figure out which teachers are bad/stupid because most people do not talk to their kids' teachers. Last year, my kid (3rd grade) was going through some medical issues and we were switching medications that were going to affect his lucidity at school, so I was calling his teacher every couple weeks to see how he was doing. At one point, I apologized to the teacher for taking so much of his time and he said, "Honestly, none of the other parents ever call me. I enjoy hearing from you. Please don't apologize." Hm.

I know exactly what you mean. I'll never forget the astonished looks I get every year from my kids teachers when I say "Thank you so much for everything you do for him/her, our entire family reaps the benefit of your work and we appreciate it. If there is anything I can ever do to assist you please call me any time". They all say they've never heard that from parents.

On a side note, I just read that in Texas over the last 20 years, 95% of teachers have graduated in the bottom 25% of their high school and college classes.

2centsworth
03-15-2013, 10:54 AM
Bad Apples in every profession. Vast Majority of Teachers are Awesome!

DPG21920
03-15-2013, 11:04 AM
Typical American parenting. One of their little kids is stealing and lying and should be punished, but no talk of that.

jeebus
03-15-2013, 11:16 AM
My mom's a teacher and the only time she hears from parents is when a kid gets in trouble for threatening her or other students and the parents call to chew her out, saying she's not doing a good job teaching their kids. No way Paco acts this way in school; it's gotta be someone else's fault.

mrsmaalox
03-15-2013, 11:25 AM
It's a pretty thankless job, but my family has been lucky---haven't had a teacher who hasn't gone above and beyond their duty once I've initiated a relationship.

Had a teacher in Maryland who even invited me to "axe" her questions anytime :lol

TDMVPDPOY
03-15-2013, 11:48 AM
good teachers...get paid as much as principals man....

leemajors
03-15-2013, 12:14 PM
pay more

This.

Cane
03-15-2013, 12:50 PM
Better kids = better parents = better teachers = vicious cycle = 40 pound weight gain for teachers

Dam u schoo

TeyshaBlue
03-15-2013, 02:02 PM
On a side note, I just read that in Texas over the last 20 years, 95% of teachers have graduated in the bottom 25% of their high school and college classes.

Where did you read that, M? I'd be interested in looking at that article.

mrsmaalox
03-15-2013, 02:39 PM
Where did you read that, M? I'd be interested in looking at that article.

Dammit, I knew someone would ask! :lol

I've been looking for that for a couple of days now because I was having this discussion with a friend of mine and she asked about it too. It was a link I found while searching for TEA approved drivers ed courses for my son; I'll keep looking and when I find it I'll pass it on.

ploto
03-15-2013, 03:20 PM
My mom's a teacher and the only time she hears from parents is when a kid gets in trouble for threatening her or other students and the parents call to chew her out, saying she's not doing a good job teaching their kids. No way Paco acts this way in school; it's gotta be someone else's fault.

I always made a point of sending notes to my kid's teachers to say how wonderful things were going. Not only is it nice to be supportive, but it also means that you have already established a relationship if anything ever does arise. I also made sure to thank them for the very things about which I knew other parents would be complaining. "Thank you for challenging my child." "Thank you for having high standards of behavior in your classroom." "Thank you for expecting my kid to be organized."

Mr.Kotter
03-15-2013, 03:36 PM
Kids don't even use books in school these days and have no respect for authority. I'd take my sweathogs over any kids these days.

Latarian Milton
03-15-2013, 07:31 PM
i just don't get how someone can be a teacher while being a spoiled kid him/herself tbh, and that's just another example why females born in the 80s or later are a real problem to this society. they grew up in an environment where they thought they were princesses and they would certainly not agree to take any jobs in a clothing factory or a brothel, they want decent jobs and they have received good education to qualify themselves for those jobs so you can't leave them working full time in the kitchen or shit. but the fact is that females are inferior humans who cannot even control their own bodies and minds.

bitches often let their mood take the best of them and burst into cry or shit, and they can't even hold their red piss so they have to wear diapers for a couple of days every month to absorb it. i don't mean to cause any offense to women but they're indeed inferior to us, and i just hope they can accept their real social status tbh

Latarian Milton
03-15-2013, 07:34 PM
It's a pretty thankless job, but my family has been lucky---haven't had a teacher who hasn't gone above and beyond their duty once I've initiated a relationship.

Had a teacher in Maryland who even invited me to "axe" her questions anytime :lol
it's a respectable job to be a teacher imho, but schools often hire the wrong people to do these jobs which's the problem. women are never the right people to do such jobs like educating the kids or something, when the only workshop for a good woman is and will always be in the kitchen tbh

Latarian Milton
03-15-2013, 07:53 PM
shit's flaring disgraceful and eregious but that ain't the worst thing a teacher can do to her students, drakitchen should do some research on chinese websites (knowing he's an immigrant from china) and show us some pics of teachers making their students kneel in front of the class, or teachers spanking those yellow kids. these are blatant tortures but the yellow bitches can always get away with such crimes free of charge.

ashbeeigh
03-15-2013, 09:50 PM
i just don't get how someone can be a teacher while being a spoiled kid him/herself tbh, and that's just another example why females born in the 80s or later are a real problem to this society. they grew up in an environment where they thought they were princesses and they would certainly not agree to take any jobs in a clothing factory or a brothel, they want decent jobs and they have received good education to qualify themselves for those jobs so you can't leave them working full time in the kitchen or shit. but the fact is that females are inferior humans who cannot even control their own bodies and minds.

bitches often let their mood take the best of them and burst into cry or shit, and they can't even hold their red piss so they have to wear diapers for a couple of days every month to absorb it. i don't mean to cause any offense to women but they're indeed inferior to us, and i just hope they can accept their real social status tbh

That's not generational, that's maturity.

DMC
03-15-2013, 10:06 PM
I think if it was legal to fuck your students (of legal age) more people would get into teaching.

spursncowboys
03-15-2013, 10:09 PM
I don't like either etreme generalization. There should definitely be a system that can push the "bad" ones out and a large enough pool of grads. I also think every district should have a pretty concrete mission statement (lack of a better term). Since people are mandated into a school from their address, there shouldn't be much difference from one school to the next.
Finally get back to basics. Reading, writing, math, science, history/social studies, music/art, and PE.

Disclaimer is I am a fan of school choice. With that said here in CO Springs, CO they have some of the best schools. That has alot to do with the ridiculously high standards (100 words to read, write, and know meaning; count to 100 all by the end of kindergarten) but also with the parents having the freedom to move to different schools, or even districts.

Wild Cobra
03-15-2013, 10:10 PM
I haven't been in touch with a teacher for some time, but there are too many things to keep up with. The government needs to stop mandating shit and return control to the local levels. The unions need to allow teacher to get merit pay, and not protect the bad ones.

mouse
03-15-2013, 11:04 PM
How can any student take a teacher seriously when
They tell the students they evolved from apes?

DUNCANownsKOBE
03-15-2013, 11:23 PM
I can't help imagining the scenario where the fat kid with sticky candy fingers and chocolate smeared on his mouth was the one who failed the test :lmao
Or the scenario where he passes it and the skinny girl who never eats her lunch fails it.

Capt Bringdown
03-16-2013, 07:36 AM
Not sure about the vast majority bit, but:

I've worked in a large corporate setting - Microsoft & Boeing
-in startups
-in the public school system
-in private schools

The erratic and chaotic nature of the workplace is the common factor. Assholes and idiots abound. People make mistakes - even very, very smart people. Somehow, life goes on, things get done. People learn and grow.
We don't necessarily have to draw dramatic, crisis-mode conclusions from a single incident.
OMG, a teacher fucked-up. The entire system is broken and needs fixing!

Trainwreck2100
03-16-2013, 02:24 PM
This system IS broken and any teacher would tell you that.

Capt Bringdown
03-16-2013, 07:37 PM
This system IS broken and any teacher would tell you that.

How so? I'm a teacher who's taught in 3rd world environments for 10 years. My students and parents would do anything to get into US schools.
"broken" = overheated political rhetoric.

exstatic
03-17-2013, 08:41 AM
pay more

This. States pay their teachers little more than food service workers, and wonder why education is in the toilet.

You get what you pay for.

Wild Cobra
03-17-2013, 03:26 PM
This. States pay their teachers little more than food service workers, and wonder why education is in the toilet.

You get what you pay for.

Some states pay their teachers more than police officers. Is that why we have such poor policing?

johnsmith
03-17-2013, 10:01 PM
Some states pay their teachers more than police officers. Is that why we have such poor policing?

What are you getting at here?

leemajors
03-17-2013, 11:27 PM

mouse esque evolution attention whoring.

Wild Cobra
03-18-2013, 04:47 AM
Look.

I don't feel I get paid enough for my job either.

Boo Ho for the teachers. Really now... They have some of the best benifits of any union job. They work 9-10 months a year for a rather decent salary in most states.

Seriously... anyone feel sorry for them? I don't.

Spur|n|Austin
03-18-2013, 10:01 AM
pay more

bus driver
03-18-2013, 10:30 AM

which states are these?

exstatic
03-18-2013, 10:51 PM
which states are these?

Well, I imagine there could be one.