PDA

View Full Version : What I would like Parker to do

Rummpd
07-06-2005, 02:19 PM
Although it has been written on other sites and here I just don't see Spurs pulling the string:

Three things he needs to do to move into the type of player he can still become = one of the best in the NBA consistently.

1) Shoot all summer - he doesn't need a three (Spurs really have enough of those) as much as a solid, dependable same stroke 12-18 footer. When on he has looked good, just repeat it the same way over and over again.
2) Get in some serious proper body building that stresses bulk while keeping flexibity. He needs to come in 10lbs heavier in muscle = even if it means a minor loss of speed. (Properly done would not necessarily mean this = look how fast Boykins still is and he can lift as much as anyone his size period)
3) Get rid of the smile - come in with a pissed off attitude and play every game as if it is a playoff as hard as he can for both halfs - in other words = copy Manu.

You can and I believe will do something on this order - we have not seen the best of Tony Parker, hopefully for a long time with Spurs.

Kori Ellis
07-06-2005, 02:22 PM
3) Get rid of the smile - come in with a pissed off attitude and play every game as if it is a playoff as hard as he can for both halfs - in other words = copy Manu.

:lol

Smiling doesn't have anything to do with it. Parker has just as much of a game face as any other Spur.

Banks91
07-06-2005, 02:25 PM
parker doesnt have that killer instinct, that im the best player on the floor mentality

spvrs
07-06-2005, 02:26 PM
Sounds like the list that he said he did last summer.

usckk
07-06-2005, 02:28 PM
I'm glad Eva hasn't taken anything away from his game. I wish when they break up, Tony doesn't go in to a deep depression and lose concentration on B-ball.

pache100
07-06-2005, 02:29 PM
parker doesnt have that killer instinct, that im the best player on the floor mentality

None of the Spurs have that bullshit. That's why they are the Champs, and those who made those wild-assed claims.....ARE NOT!

There were Spurs who had that mentality...they now play for Portland, Indiana, etc. We don't need it, and Pop won't put up with it. Humility is the best policy.

CalsonicKansei
07-06-2005, 02:30 PM
Parker just needs to work on his outside game because his inside game is pretty good.

JUUOT
07-06-2005, 02:32 PM
the third point is funny cause in France people hate parker for his non existing humility.
he will be the first to claim he is as good as anybody and proved for years he is a prime class warriors. however nobody can disagree with the first two points.
the first one is really a confidence problem

Rummpd
07-06-2005, 02:33 PM
Kori:

With great respect I disagree - Tony P. (who I still highly respect and believe has the great upside even with his accomplishments) simply does not appear to always "put on the game face" that you see in the great ones more often, i.e., Kidd, Iverson, Nash.

That is not to put him down - part is cultural I am sure.

Don't be surprised to see a "different looking Parker" in more ways than one next year.

spvrs
07-06-2005, 02:38 PM
Parker specifically last year shot the ball 1000k times a day. Don't you remember him starting off bad because he wanted to show off his shot?

Parker needs something else besides brute force practice. He needs to find a form and stick with it... get steve smith back and show him...

Sense
07-06-2005, 03:19 PM

Does any Spurs player have this instinct?

MaNuMaNiAc
07-06-2005, 03:28 PM
Does any Spurs player have this instinct?
Yep, Manu! granted he doesn't always have great games, but the killer instinct is there, he tries his best every day. Also I'd say Bowen.

samikeyp
07-06-2005, 03:30 PM
which of course, explains all those "game faces" on 11th and 12th men around the league. :rolleyes

Either you can play or you can't....Parker can.

Hey, Magic Johnson always had a smile on his face and he is, IMO, the best PG ever.

MaNuMaNiAc
07-06-2005, 03:43 PM
which of course, explains all those "game faces" on 11th and 12th men around the league. :rolleyes

Either you can play or you can't....Parker can.

Hey, Magic Johnson always had a smile on his face and he is, IMO, the best PG ever.
Magic's smile could light up a room! hahaha Tony's isn't the same, but I agree, either you can play or you can't and Tony can

ducks
07-06-2005, 03:47 PM
Demand A Trade So Spur Fans Would Appreciate What They Had

Rummpd
07-06-2005, 03:56 PM
I am not demanding a trade far from it. Read my original post carefully. However, don't be surprised if Pop does not consider one - if for nothing else than for that totally bonehead foul right near the end of the decisive 7th game = he has benched players (ala Rose) for less. Tony is not a kid any more.

By the way, Magic did not smile all the time - I have seen tapes of him getting pissed and showing great emotion. Watch the game he filled in for Kareem inside one time.

Finally, I totally agree that Parker should find a mentor or just stick to one shot type. He is lacking in consistency more than any scoring point guard in form on his shot for his great abilities than any point with his potential I have seen.

He can overcome this stuff and I damm well hope he is given a chance to stay and prove it.

Rummpd
07-06-2005, 03:58 PM
? on Flash comment.

Kori Ellis
07-06-2005, 04:05 PM
IMO, the Spurs aren't even considering trades for Parker right now. He's a BYC player so it wouldn't be easy to even pull it off if they wanted to.

The B.S. Marbury rumor was just one radio show hosts idea for a trade. There was no confirmation that either side has even talked to each other or proposed such a thing.

Kori Ellis
07-06-2005, 04:09 PM
1) Shoot all summer - he doesn't need a three (Spurs really have enough of those) as much as a solid, dependable same stroke 12-18 footer. When on he has looked good, just repeat it the same way over and over again.

I agree with this. Someone needs to help him with his form and then teach him how to be consistent with it. Even if his form isn't perfect, he needs the stroke to be the same every time.

Horry For 3!
07-06-2005, 04:16 PM
I noticed when Parker makes those outside shots his confidence goes way up and when he doesn't make them it goes down. If he can make those shots more consistently then he will be very deadly.

timvp
07-06-2005, 04:18 PM
Another Parker sucks thread.

Sweet.

samikeyp
07-06-2005, 04:24 PM
By the way, Magic did not smile all the time

neither does Parker...except according to you.

team-work
07-07-2005, 05:05 AM
Watching his performance in the 2005 Finals, I wonder if the toughest critics will agree that TP has matured in compared with 2003. Back to that time, TP was trying to show everybody, esp Pop, that he was better than Jason Kidd (so don't bring him to SA). Whenever Parker struggled with his offense at that time, every aspect of his game sucked, to the point DRob questioned about his poor decision-making and shot-selection. On the other hand, in 2005 Finals Game 7, even though he once agained missed his jumper, TP now realize he can contribute in many ways, eg defense. To be fair, his game has room for improvement, but he got in the right direction after he signed his long contract (perhaps the struggles at the first 10 games or so at the beginning of 2004-05 season turned out to be a blessing).

1Parker1
07-07-2005, 07:46 AM
Another Parker sucks thread.

Sweet.

:lmao....and now they are even complaining about the way the kid Smiles!!!!

Twisted_Dawg
07-07-2005, 08:31 AM
ADD THIS TO YOUR TOP 3 REASONS WHAT PARKER NEEDS TO DO:

4. Parker needs to watch a lot of film of John Stockton, Steve Nash, Magic, and Isiah to get an idea of how true point guards play the game. Hell who knows...maybe he could fly out to Utah and have Stockton mentor and teach him some things.

1Parker1
07-07-2005, 09:01 AM
How many of those "True PG's" have a ring?

And don't make an excuse that they didn't have a TD type of player. Nash had Dirk and Nelson back in the day wasn't a shabby coach. Dirk may not be TD, but he is still a great second.

Stockton had Malone--who some argue was even a better PF than Duncan.

Yet none of those "true PG"s" got 2 rings....so the kid must be doing something right.

Pop has said that he doesn't want Parker to be the next Stockton and that he understands that for the SPurs to be successful, Parker needs to push the ball, score, and not TO the ball so much. The first 2 he does fine, he just needs to work on that last bit more.

nkdlunch
07-07-2005, 09:03 AM

:lol he's never the best player on the floor.

nkdlunch
07-07-2005, 09:07 AM
I read that in Bahia, Argentina the people were booing Parker? I know he wasn't there, but I guess they were booing his name, or maybe at a TV screen but it was Parker.

Pop had to come out and say "Please have patience with Parker, 'cause Manu has patience with him." :lol

here's the link: http://www.ole.clarin.com/jsp/v3/pagina.jsp?pagId=1008149 it's in spanish though

1Parker1
07-07-2005, 09:09 AM
I read that in Bahia, Argentina the people were booing Parker? I know he wasn't there, but I guess they were booing his name, or maybe at a TV screen but it was Parker.

Pop had to come out and say "Please have patience with Parker, 'cause Manu has patience with him." :lol

here's the link: http://www.ole.clarin.com/jsp/v3/pagina.jsp?pagId=1008149

:wtf

nkdlunch
07-07-2005, 11:36 AM
:wtf

fine I'll translate that part for u:

Love for Pop, not Tony. Manu was not the only one pursued. Ovations for Pop became common, people wanted to touch him, they jumped at him and gave him kisses. The coach who dared the cold with just a t-shirt and was surprised. "Here people are very warm, much more than in my country", he said. Then the Serbian descendant thanked in spanish "Gracias Argentina" he screamed and he even joked around: "There will be some retouches on the team, but be calm, Manu will stay". They left Bahiense and went to Shopping Paseo del Sol. In the parking lot, around 4500 people dared the cold and were present, in front of a stage setup for this event. There was a rap show and tango until Manu went up with a popular ovation. "I feel like everywhere I go, I've been taken as an adoptive son, but I know I belong here" The chant of MVP, MVP as well as the Booing for Tony Parker. Pop had to come out and say "You have to be patient with him, because Manu is patient with him."

hendrix
07-07-2005, 12:13 PM
Fine, at least Pop agrees Manu is patient. Not that they could get along otherwise.

1Parker1
07-07-2005, 12:32 PM
I don't get it, why would they boo Parker if he wasn't even there and his name wasn't even mentioned?

And that's weird, I highly, highly doubt Pop would say something like "be paitent with him because Manu is" to a huge crowd of FANS.

Frenchise player
07-07-2005, 12:34 PM
They booed him because they believe the bullshit some people posts that Parker denies Ginobili the ball.
They don't support the Spurs, they are Ginobili's fans, wherever he will be they will follow him.

nkdlunch
07-07-2005, 12:37 PM
I agree, the article itself is confusing. But I don't think the writer made it up out of the blue.

I'm confused at the reason why some Argentine fans dislike parker. I guess because he denied Manu the ball sometimes? turnovers? he is french?? he looks like Dr. Brain from Pinky+brain?? I don't know.

1Parker1
07-07-2005, 01:49 PM
I agree, the article itself is confusing. But I don't think the writer made it up out of the blue.

I'm confused at the reason why some Argentine fans dislike parker. I guess because he denied Manu the ball sometimes? turnovers? he is french?? he looks like Dr. Brain from Pinky+brain?? I don't know.
I am not doubting that the crowd booed Parker...he is the anti-Christ afterall :)

I just don't think that Pop would have said what he said. I think the author may have lied or misquoted.

WalterBenitez
07-07-2005, 02:06 PM
TP needs to ...

1) Shoot only when he is hot, otherwise

2) Pass the ball

3) Make a CD, he has future in Music Industry

4) Use :fro

pache100
07-07-2005, 02:15 PM
TP needs to ...

1) Shoot only when he is hot, otherwise

2) Pass the ball

3) Make a CD, he has future in Music Industry

How would he know he's "hot" unless he shoots?

I agree about the CD. Now, that WOULD be "hot"!

MaNuMaNiAc
07-07-2005, 02:23 PM
I am not doubting that the crowd booed Parker...he is the anti-Christ afterall :)

I just don't think that Pop would have said what he said. I think the author may have lied or misquoted. He said it 1Parker1, noone lied. I saw it on TV. Plus this is a prestigious Argentinian sports newspaper, they usually fact check their articles like any self respecting newspaper.

nkdlunch
07-07-2005, 02:25 PM

an afro and sunglasses?? how about a championship belt to go w/it?

nkdlunch
07-07-2005, 02:25 PM
He said it 1Parker1, noone lied. I saw it on TV

Do you know what they were booing at?? exactly?

MaNuMaNiAc
07-07-2005, 02:30 PM
Do you know what they were booing at?? exactly?
tony was mentioned in one of the questions from the reporter, so people started booing. Keep in mind these people are from Bahia, Manu is like their son. Any rumor that suggests that Tony is is screwing Manu because he doesn't want to pass the ball is bound to get exaggerated 10 fold in that place. Still, people who really know about basketball realize that's not the case.

nkdlunch
07-07-2005, 02:36 PM
thats funny. Pop is so awesome for saying that.

With Pop there, there'll never be a rivalry between Manu + Parker. That's why Pop >>>>> Phil Jackson

hendrix
07-07-2005, 02:45 PM
Parker not wanting to pass the ball to Manu (wether be true or false) is not the only factor here. I have a lot of opinions on TP but cannot be sure they're thinking exactly the same.
And for the record... TP is not even loved in France. And I mean "basketball people", not just fans.
Manumania, if people doesn't agree with you, it doesn't necessarily means they don't know about basketball... Remember, Bahia Blanca is Argentina's home of basketball afterall. :)
I agree they would feel too passionate on this subject, tho.

WalterBenitez
07-07-2005, 02:51 PM
How would he know he's "hot" unless he shoots?

:oops Good question, let's see .. what about missing 4 shots in a row???

I agree about the CD. Now, that WOULD be "hot"! yeah, he did a good performance last time