PDA

View Full Version : Backup Point?

spurjur
07-06-2005, 03:26 PM
What do you people think about the backup PG position? Will the Spurs re-sign M. Wilks? Will they look somewhere else? Who would you like the Spurs to bring in? Here are a couple of names. Nick Van Exel
Earl Watson

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2005, 03:48 PM
What happened to Beno? Did you trade him?

Leetonidas
07-06-2005, 03:49 PM
The Spurs need two backup points, so if either is playing bad, the other can come in.

Earl Watson would be a great backup.

batman2883
07-06-2005, 03:50 PM
Beno is a good enough back up point guard, and then after that we can play either Brent, or Manu at the point, we dont need another point guard, we need a small foward. Gerald Wallace is my number one choice how about yours?

batman2883
07-06-2005, 03:51 PM
The Spurs need two backup points, so if either is playing bad, the other can come in.
Earl Watson would be a great backup.

Ha ha ha ha man i cant stop laughing at your avatar, ha ha ha ha ha ha the Landscaper from Dave Chapelle haha ha ha

spurjur
07-06-2005, 03:52 PM
I don't think Pop has the patients to wait for Beno to develop. We all saw how Beno cracked under pressure. He did hit some shots from the outisde, however, I believe the Spurs would love to bring in someone with more experience to backup TP.

ceds
07-06-2005, 03:55 PM
I could see NVE sign a min deal to play with one of the texas teams

Watson would be nice but no way you guys can get him without shelling out a chuck of the MLE. Im torn between him and swift as the rockets FA target

Sense
07-06-2005, 03:56 PM
Ha ha ha ha man i cant stop laughing at your avatar, ha ha ha ha ha ha the Landscaper from Dave Chapelle haha ha ha

I don't think that's an avatar.

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2005, 04:00 PM
For the love of God please stop trading Beno. Thanks.

spurjur
07-06-2005, 04:03 PM
We have heard of how Nick the "Quick" is at the point of wanting to retire. Why? Because he hasn't won a ring. I honestly think he would sign with SA for the minimum. He would add a veteran presence and can shoot the ball with accuracy. Would Nick fit the "Spurs Type" of player thing though? Earl Watson is a wishful thinking type of thing. He will probably get a higher offer from some other team.

batman2883
07-06-2005, 04:05 PM
look as i've stated before, what other player cracked his rookie year in the playoffs??? Tony Parker, and we all know how that story is still rolling, Tony cracked up his rookie year and had to be replaced by Speedy Claxton and Steve Kerr in the Western Conference finals against the Mavs. Beno cracked under pressure in the Finals and now you want to trade him??? that is ridiculous

ceds
07-06-2005, 04:13 PM
The championship window is now..not in 4 years when Beno is good enough to handle playoff pressure

If the chance to add a NVE or Watson (for the right price) comes along..you do it and thank the basketball gods for your good fortune.

thekingrobert
07-06-2005, 04:14 PM
Beno should not be traded I like him a lot he has a very nice shot, if he can improve his quickness he will be formitable for years to come, I bet the heat wish they had him, also, how many of the spurs players didnt crack with that great pistons D, NVE would be nice also, I believe the backup should be a good shooter an im not sure if Watson is

spurjur
07-06-2005, 04:26 PM
The Spurs already have a project in the PG position. His name is Tony Parker. Spurs fans have seen how Pop jumps all over Tony when he screws up. Tony Parker is only 23 years old. He has a lot to learn and that is a good thing because the Spurs will have him here for a while. The Spurs don't need another project like Beno. The Spurs need a veteran PG to come in for Tony when he is screwing up or when Tony is hurt. Hopefully, the being hurt thing won't happen. Did any of you notice that Pop went with the lineup of Manu, Barry, Bowen, Duncan, and Horry during the Finals? Why was that? Number one: Tony was getting a break. Number Two: Pop did not have trust in Beno to be the backup. Beno is a solid PG, but the Spurs would love to add a proven PG to come in and hold the fort while Tony is on the bench. Its that simple. Nothing against Beno. Its just that the Spurs need a proven PG.

timvp
07-06-2005, 04:27 PM
1) Beno Udrih is still on the team
2) Earl Watson is going to get a $40M contract

thekingrobert
07-06-2005, 04:36 PM
Beno was a low-1st round rookie PG in the finals against the hardest D besides the spurs HELLO, also no other team in the playoffs rattled Beno like that its pistons D and finals pressure, hes been thru it now he's good to go, and yes they do need a vet PG but Beno should stay, also yes Parker is still a project but is going in the right direction

spurjur
07-06-2005, 04:38 PM
To TIMVP:

#1. I hope you're kidding about Earl Watson getting $40 million

#2. If you're not, how many years will the $40 million be worth?

#3. Thank God you're not the Spurs GM

ceds
07-06-2005, 04:38 PM

So you still need a backup point

Grizz need a center. Offer em Rasho and Beno for Watson and one of posey/Battier, sign Scola and call it an offseason.

ducks
07-06-2005, 04:40 PM
Speedy Is Making 3.6 Million
People This Year And It Is The Last Year Of His Contract

thekingrobert
07-06-2005, 04:41 PM
Beno shouldnt be traded ive personally seen Watson play live and he doesnt fit the spurs scheme and im not impressed, also Posey might be cut so wait it out and sign him ive always liked him a poormans Bowen with more hustle and a better drive to the basket

ceds
07-06-2005, 04:50 PM

He should get close to the full mid level..40M is about right

ive personally seen Watson play live and he doesnt fit the spurs scheme and im not impressed,

WTF? He is a perfect spur player..He knows and stays in his role, can hit the three and is a top 5 defender for his position. In other words, a perfect backup point guard

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2005, 04:50 PM
Yeah, Watson will get paid this summer.

Spursdaone
07-06-2005, 04:51 PM
Beno is not good enough yet to be traded. I don't think his athleticism will be good enough to be a solid backup point guard in this league. He can only play off the ball.

spurjur
07-06-2005, 04:53 PM
I am not saying that the Spurs will sign Earl Watson. It was a name of a free agent I threw out there as a possibility. That's all. However, my point is this. The Spurs need a proven backup PG. Why? Tony is bound to make mistakes and may get hurt. Do want Beno to come in or a proven PG? We have seen it twice. Parker at times disappeared during the playoffs and Finals. Right? No big deal. Pop the smart guy that he is brought in Manu and Barry to serve as the PG and left Beno on the bench. Why is that folks? He doesn't want the ball to be turned over and doesn't want a good team to eat up his PG. We saw what a veteran PG can do when Speedy Claxton came in for Parker in the '03 Finals. We saw what Barry and Manu did when they came in for Parker this year. That's my point. I seriously doubt that Pop wants to deal with another project in Beno when it comes to the playoffs. That's what its all about. The playoffs. Beno did a fine job in the regular season and all that, but the playoffs and Finals are what count. I'm not saying that the Spurs have to trade Beno, but I think the Spurs will look for a backup PG who is more proven to be Tony's main backup. They can let Mike Wilks go and stay with Beno and sign a veteran PG. Or they can stick with Mike Wilks as the third PG and trade Beno for a proven veterean PG. Not saying that Wilks is better than Beno, its just that Wilks is a smarter choice money wise. Wilks is only due $700,000 for this next year. That's nothing compared to Beno's contract.

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2005, 04:53 PM
One bad series and everyone is ready to throw Beno under the bandwagon. Go figure.

2centsworth
07-06-2005, 04:57 PM
1. "Slomo" sucked against Denver and Seattle too. Don't you remember the end of the half of the first game against Denver. He did go off from outside a little bit against Phoenix.

2. "Slomo" is inexpensive and is probably the best option the spurs have.

3. Brent is the best Back-up we can find.

4. "Slomo" is a jumpshooter and nothing more, he showed some signs but so did Corey Alexander and Greg Sutton. Hell I think Lloyd Daniels had some 20 point games.

spurjur
07-06-2005, 04:58 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One bad series and everyone is ready to throw Beno under the bandwagon. Go figure.

Its not that. Its just that the Spurs need a proven backup at the PG position if they want to make it four in ships.

For those saying Watson will get $40. Please. That means he has to get a contract like at $6 million a year for like six or seven years. Not going to happen. He was the backup to Jason Williams. Speedy only got like $13 million for like three years.

thekingrobert
07-06-2005, 04:58 PM
well if u compare wilks n beno beno is a better choice and makes only 200k more then next season also the more beno plays the better he becomes, i do agree with a vet PG with u, but i think its very important that beno gets the most minutes he can get b4 the playoffs even start

ChumpDumper
07-06-2005, 05:01 PM
We saw what a veteran PG can do when Speedy Claxton came in for Parker in the '03 Finals.I don't know how 97 regular season games under his belt made him a grizzled vet before his playoff run. Rest assured Beno will have much more game experience by the next playoffs.

Woo-hoo.

timvp
07-06-2005, 05:04 PM
To TIMVP:

Nope.

#2. If you're not, how many years will the $40 million be worth?

Probably five maybe six.

#3. Thank God you're not the Spurs GM

I didn't say I would give it to him. Memphis, Atlanta and Cleveland will be after him. He won't be cheap.

ceds
07-06-2005, 05:07 PM

Since when did he have a bandwagon??

You already got the main core set in place and are young enough to challenge the next 5 years..fuck developing another point. Get a vet pg who can step in and not get rattled

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2005, 05:09 PM
I meant the Spurs' bandwagon.

Solid D
07-06-2005, 05:22 PM
3) The Spurs won the NBA Championship with TP and Beno against one of the top backcourts in the league.

The Spurs got 17.2 ppg and 4.3 apg from TP during the playoffs, 16.6 ppg and 6.1 apg during the regular season. The Spurs got 3.7 ppg and 1.0 apg from a rookie (Beno) during the playoffs and 5.9 ppg and 1.9 apg regular season. That's not bad, considering the Spurs were NON-LOSERS (Hello).

ceds
07-06-2005, 05:23 PM
Im suprised he was even on the spurs wagon,

Dude hit the wall a long time before the detroit series

Solid D
07-06-2005, 05:26 PM
Anyone who says Beno cannot distribute the ball just doesn't know what to watch for in a basketball game. Beno is learning the intricacies of the NBA style and it's physical nature, but he is an excellent playmaker. He's one of the best passers on the team and he knows angles on the floor and how to play well positionally.

Kori Ellis
07-06-2005, 05:28 PM
If the Grizzlies give Watson a 6year contract starting at around the MLE, that's 6 years/37M. He probably wants about that much money on the open market (though he can only get five years from other teams). A team like the Hawks is probably willing to open their wallet and give it to him.

If the Blazers release Van Exel, then he might be someone that the Spurs could pick up cheap at as a vet backup.

But the fact that the Spurs have Barry and Manu who can both fill in spot duty at the point to backup Beno and Tony isn't a bad thing.

I'd rather the Spurs got a young long SF and figured out what to do upfront rather than worry about their 3rd string point.

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2005, 05:29 PM
Anyone who says Beno cannot distribute the ball just doesn't know what to watch for in a basketball game. Beno is learning the intricacies of the NBA style and it's physical nature, but he is an excellent playmaker. He's one of the best passers on the team and he knows angles on the floor and how to play well positionally.

Indeed. And his shot selection was pretty damn good as well (not to mention, his accuracy as well). He also didn't hesitate to go to the rim either.

I'm not sure what Spurs fans are looking for.

ceds
07-06-2005, 05:39 PM

i agree you can tell the guy is a floor general who will someday be starting in this league. i just think he is not ready yet and needs minutes/time to develop and mature. 3 - 4 years from now he should be ready and will probably leave for a starting spot and a contract.

I just think its crazy to be developing another young point who is not ready when you have your team set to win rings right now. Keep it simple..find a hard nosed defensive vet who can step in and give you 10 - 15 quality minutes a night.

SequSpur
07-06-2005, 05:40 PM
What happened to Beno? Did you trade him?

Hopefully he is getting promoted to nacho maker.

SequSpur
07-06-2005, 05:41 PM

Solid dipshit,

He can't even get the ball up to the half court line.

Wake up.

timvp
07-06-2005, 05:43 PM
I think the Spurs should go out and try to find a veteran who will play a 12th man third string PG role. The problem is I don't see any on the market. Van Exel maybe, but he hasn't been waived yet. Darrell Armstrong perhaps but I think his career is over. Jon Barry could be good, but he'll probably want more money and more playing time.

If the Spurs are to look a little younger, I like Jannero Pargo. Mateen Cleaves wouldn't be too horrible.

spurschick
07-06-2005, 05:44 PM

Agreed. Unfortunately, a lot of people are judging him on his playoff performance. Not that playing well in the playoffs isn't important, it's just not the norm for a rookie to be clutch in that situation.

SequSpur
07-06-2005, 05:45 PM
Agreed. Unfortunately, a lot of people are judging him on his playoff performance. Not that playing well in the playoffs isn't important, it's just not the norm for a rookie to be clutch in that situation.

Exactly. WGAF about the regular season? Game 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 of the finals is when a player makes his fame.

Beno shit his pants.

timvp
07-06-2005, 05:45 PM
Spurs fans only remember the last game played. That's why people are trying to get rid of Parker and Beno and why Jack and Speedy are Hall of Fame bound.

spurschick
07-06-2005, 05:46 PM
I think the Spurs should go out and try to find a veteran who will play a 12th man third string PG role. The problem is I don't see any on the market. Van Exel maybe, but he hasn't been waived yet..

I couldn't agree more and have been saying such for a while. But, we've also talked about Barry filling that role. If Devin comes back strong, I could see Barry rotating in at both PG and SG.

SequSpur
07-06-2005, 05:46 PM
Spurs fans only remember the last game played. That's why people are trying to get rid of Parker and Beno and why Jack and Speedy are Hall of Fame bound.

Maybe Parker, but I remember Beno as just a plain ol shitty point guard.

One game does not.

ChumpDumper
07-06-2005, 05:48 PM
An MLE deal for Watson is not out of the realm of possibilty. Have you seen the point guards available in free agency? Pretty slim pickings.

NVE would be a luxury if he isn't totally done, but we might have to settle for some journeyman like Erick Strickland, Rick Brunson or Goldie (some of the few FA points who can hit from outside the arc) or a young, Wilksian journeyman-to-be practice dummy. I'm partial to Aaron Miles in that department.

It is difficult to worry about this too much while Barry is on the roster though.

Solid D
07-06-2005, 05:53 PM
Sequ, go back to predicting Free Agent movement. You are much better at that.

SequSpur
07-06-2005, 05:55 PM
Sequ, go back to predicting player movement. You are much better at that.

Bullshit. You saying Beno is good, is great, whatever, is fricking borderline stupidity and ridiculous, but coming from you the typical ride pop's draws and everything looks good in black and silver, I expect it.

Beno is not very good.

ceds
07-06-2005, 05:56 PM
Anyone know what the deal is with Jason Williams???

He should have finished rehab by now..do the bulls still hold his rights? I doubt they keep him around with Kirk and Duhon

Solid D
07-06-2005, 06:09 PM
You saying Beno is good, is great, whatever, is fricking borderline stupidity and ridiculous, but coming from you the typical ride pop's draws and everything looks good in black and silver, I expect it.

Beno is not very good.

I said the Spurs won the NBA Championship with TP and Beno. That the Spurs got 3.7 ppg and 1.0 apg from Beno during the playoffs and 5.9 ppg and 1.9 apg regular season. That Beno was a rookie who was learning the intricacies of the NBA game and it's physical style. That Beno was an excellent passer and playmaker, one of the best passers on the team, and that he knows the angles. He also gets the ball upcourt on the break via the pass as well as anyone does. He was still a rookie and yes he got caught in a buzzsaw with the Lindsey Hunter/Rasheed Wallace double teams but he will learn. The Spurs made the right adjustments to the special Pistons' pressure by letting Manu and Brent enter the offense.

The Spurs cannot afford Earl Watson, one of the better crunch-time PGs in the league, and they probably won't trade Beno for him, so let Beno learn and bring in a 3rd PG like Wilks or Barrett or the FA rookie John Lucas III for practices and injury backup.

Remember Beno played basically the entire 4th quarter and OT of the win in PHX against Steve Nash and played very well.

GoSpurs21
07-06-2005, 06:14 PM
look as i've stated before, what other player cracked his rookie year in the playoffs??? Tony Parker, and we all know how that story is still rolling, Tony cracked up his rookie year and had to be replaced by Speedy Claxton and Steve Kerr in the Western Conference finals against the Mavs. Beno cracked under pressure in the Finals and now you want to trade him??? that is ridiculousDude you do know that 03 was Tony's second season right. I mean Tony's rookie year he schooled (I mean schooled - for GW) Gary Payton in the 1st round before the Lakers knocked the Spurs out of the playoffs 4-1 in the second round.

Manu was a rookie in the 03 campaign.

Bullshit. You saying Beno is good, is great, whatever, is fricking borderline stupidity and ridiculous, but coming from you the typical ride pop's draws and everything looks good in black and silver, I expect it.

Beno is not very good.then please provide name(s) of better PGs who make similar money to Beno, Einstein.