PDA

View Full Version : Old generation games/consoles

Flawless
03-16-2013, 05:31 PM
Anyone still have/play any of the old gen consoles like snes, genesis, n64 etc. I was able to find some of my old games (all still in working condition too :wow). Gotta love the good old days of gaming.

lefty
03-16-2013, 06:12 PM
Aah the good old times :cry

Faster loading times too :lol

I had a Genesis and after a Snes

I play mostly sport games on current gen consoles, but on the old farts it was almost every type of game

It was fun fun fun

The other day I walked into a video store, and they had Snes, Genesis, original game boy, and most of the good games :wow

Reck
03-16-2013, 06:22 PM
N64 is stashed somewhere here.

LOL I remember me going HAM on Mario Kart. Best damn game I have ever played besides Super Mario for the same console.

baseline bum
03-16-2013, 06:37 PM
Aah the good old times :cry

Faster loading times too :lol

I had a Genesis and after a Snes

I play mostly sport games on current gen consoles, but on the old farts it was almost every type of game

It was fun fun fun

The other day I walked into a video store, and they had Snes, Genesis, original game boy, and most of the good games :wow

All awesome systems. Super Mario World on SNES is the only Mario game that competes with the original SMB for my favorite of the series (tough call). Gameboy was awesome just for tetris.

lefty
03-16-2013, 06:43 PM
All awesome systems. Super Mario World on SNES is the only Mario game that competes with the original SMB for my favorite of the series (tough call). Gameboy was awesome just for tetris.
I also used to borrow Gameboys from various friends :lol

When they released it, everybody thought it would fail " WTF monochrome ? "

But it was entertaining as hell

Shit I wouldnt mind getting the original GB today, Im sure I would still have fun

Flawless
03-16-2013, 06:48 PM
Ahh the memories. I would play that game all the time. I use to own it, but sadly I lost it :depressed

lefty
03-16-2013, 06:49 PM
RetroN 4 Console Plays NES, SNES, Genesis, Game Boy — Through HDMI

BY CHRIS KOHLER (http://www.wired.com/gamelife/author/chriskohler/)
1:11 PM

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/gamelife/2013/03/hyperkin_3-660x377.jpg (http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/gamelife/2013/03/hyperkin_3.jpg)The Hyperkin RetroN 3 console, pictured, plays classic Nintendo and Sega games. The RetroN 4, which the company will unveil later this month, will add Game Boy Advance support and HDMI output.

Game Boy busted? Super Nintendo toast? In need of new hardware to play your old games? A company called Hyperkin has built itself up providing just that — brand-new game consoles that play classic cartridges. On Tuesday, it announced what looks to be its most ambitious project ever: The RetroN 4 will feature four cartridge slots, allowing you to play cartridges from the Nintendo Entertainment System, Super NES, Sega Genesis and for the first time the Game Boy Advance.
As if that were not enough, it will also sport HDMI output. The currently available RetroN 3 console (http://hyperkin.com/retro-gaming/nintendo-nes-game-console/retro-system-retron3.html)supports NES, SNES and Genesis, and has S-Video out. It will include a Bluetooth wireless controller, but also feature two controller ports for each console so you can plug in original control pads.
A built-in digital user interface will allow you to reassign controller buttons and more. Hyperkin will release more details on the RetroN 4 at the Midwest Gaming Classic (http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/), to be held March 23-24 in Brookfield, Wisconsin.
As the prices of these classic game consoles in working condition continue to rise, this could be a cheaper and more space-efficient solution for those who want to enjoy the classics. Cloned systems like this aren’t usually 100 percent compatible with the classic cartridge libraries, but it’s a good-enough solution for casual players. Not to mention the fact that solutions for playing Game Boy Advance games on the television, besides buying a GameCube and a Game Boy Player, are in short supply.

http://legacy-cdn.smosh.com/smosh-pit/062011/fap-now-robo.gif

Flawless
03-16-2013, 06:52 PM

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/gamelife/2013/03/hyperkin_3-660x377.jpg (http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/gamelife/2013/03/hyperkin_3.jpg)The Hyperkin RetroN 3 console, pictured, plays classic Nintendo and Sega games. The RetroN 4, which the company will unveil later this month, will add Game Boy Advance support and HDMI output.

Game Boy busted? Super Nintendo toast? In need of new hardware to play your old games? A company called Hyperkin has built itself up providing just that — brand-new game consoles that play classic cartridges. On Tuesday, it announced what looks to be its most ambitious project ever: The RetroN 4 will feature four cartridge slots, allowing you to play cartridges from the Nintendo Entertainment System, Super NES, Sega Genesis and for the first time the Game Boy Advance.
As if that were not enough, it will also sport HDMI output. The currently available RetroN 3 console (http://hyperkin.com/retro-gaming/nintendo-nes-game-console/retro-system-retron3.html)supports NES, SNES and Genesis, and has S-Video out. It will include a Bluetooth wireless controller, but also feature two controller ports for each console so you can plug in original control pads.
A built-in digital user interface will allow you to reassign controller buttons and more. Hyperkin will release more details on the RetroN 4 at the Midwest Gaming Classic (http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/), to be held March 23-24 in Brookfield, Wisconsin.
As the prices of these classic game consoles in working condition continue to rise, this could be a cheaper and more space-efficient solution for those who want to enjoy the classics. Cloned systems like this aren’t usually 100 percent compatible with the classic cartridge libraries, but it’s a good-enough solution for casual players. Not to mention the fact that solutions for playing Game Boy Advance games on the television, besides buying a GameCube and a Game Boy Player, are in short supply.

:wow Damn, I bet that would cost a lot of money though.

Reck
03-16-2013, 06:53 PM
^No N64? :(

Flawless
03-16-2013, 06:59 PM
From the looks of it, no. But here in San Antonio they have a store that sells all the retro games from Atari to N64 and beyond :)

lefty
03-16-2013, 07:02 PM
I remember in the late 90's my neighbor had a similar console

He got it from Iran (lol), where they imported whatever electronics were available in Asia, but not in Europe / US

Some of the games on this console were wicked versions of famous games, and were made exclusively for this sytem : Super Mega Turbo Ninja Gaiden, Ultimate Double Dragon ... really much better versions, with crazy moves, etc .......
There was also a version of Contra, but on steroids :lol

On top of that, it came with built in adapters for NES and Super NES cartridges :wow , so we could also play Mario, etc ....

Flawless
03-16-2013, 07:18 PM

He got it from Iran (lol), where they imported whatever electronics were available in Asia, but not in Europe / US

Some of the games on this console were wicked versions of famous games, and were made exclusively for this sytem : Super Mega Turbo Ninja Gaiden, Ultimate Double Dragon ... really much better versions, with crazy moves, etc .......

On top of that, it came with built in adapters for NES and Super NES cartridges :wow , so we could also play Mario, etc ....
Damn, I would love to get a console like that.

baseline bum
03-16-2013, 07:20 PM
I also used to borrow Gameboys from various friends :lol

When they released it, everybody thought it would fail " WTF monochrome ? "

But it was entertaining as hell

Shit I wouldnt mind getting the original GB today, Im sure I would still have fun

LOL, I remember everyone's reaction to Game Gear. Ooh, it's in color and it has Mortal Kombat, with blood! Then it just sucked when you played it. Man, tetris just made that system, and then Pokemon kept it alive.

baseline bum
03-16-2013, 07:21 PM

I call bullshit; there is no way possible to improve Ninja Gaiden.

lefty
03-16-2013, 07:22 PM
Wrong :D :lol

baseline bum
03-16-2013, 07:23 PM

That would be nice to play Zelda OOT again.

baseline bum
03-16-2013, 07:24 PM
Wrong :D :lol

You're a lying motherfucker son.

Flawless
03-16-2013, 07:24 PM
:lol Anythings possible I guess.

Reck
03-16-2013, 07:25 PM
LOL, I remember everyone's reaction to Game Gear. Ooh, it's in color and it has Mortal Kombat, with blood! Then it just sucked when you played it. Man, tetris just made that system, and then Pokemon kept it alive.

LOL that fucker was a battery life sucking leech.

Sonic was good on that though.

Reck
03-16-2013, 07:29 PM
That would be nice to play Zelda OOT again.

Addictive neat game.

Even the soundtrack was catchy as hell. I still have midis of it on my desktop. :lol Good times.

UZER
03-16-2013, 10:32 PM
Super metroid...one of my fav games of all time.

Trainwreck2100
03-16-2013, 11:21 PM
Addictive neat game.

Even the soundtrack was catchy as hell. I still have midis of it on my desktop. :lol Good times.

I remember when IGN said GTA4 was GOAT tier like OOT, GTA4 wasn't even Conker's BFD tier

TDMVPDPOY
03-16-2013, 11:29 PM
lol 100 games in one cartridge...remember that shit?

Libri
03-16-2013, 11:30 PM
two Intellivision consoles

Reck
03-16-2013, 11:30 PM
lol 100 games in one cartridge...remember that shit?

Most of them games were putrid shit. :lol

lefty
03-17-2013, 01:10 AM
Before my hacked PS2 died, I got a dvd with that had the top 100 Super NES games

Great shit

baseline bum
03-17-2013, 01:22 AM
I remember when IGN said GTA4 was GOAT tier like OOT, GTA4 wasn't even Conker's BFD tier

GTA4 was more Rambo NES tier tbh.

leemajors
03-17-2013, 11:24 PM

NESticle screen saves tbh, with metroid too.

baseline bum
03-17-2013, 11:58 PM
NESticle screen saves tbh, with metroid too.

I stand corrected. That was the only way I ever got through Jaqiuo and the alien tbh.

resistanze
03-18-2013, 08:24 AM
I still remember THAT moment I saw Jaquio resurrected from the dead in Ninja Gaiden II, almost shat my pants tbh.

Bynumite
03-18-2013, 01:17 PM
My first console was a Master System and its wonderful rectangular shaped controllers, similar to the NES controller but without the select and pause buttons. If you wanted to pause your game you had to use the big pause button placed next to the console's power switch.

It's funny how technology evolves but consoles nowadays can break so easily, while consoles from the 80's/90's are so durable.

lefty
03-18-2013, 01:29 PM
Ah controls were much more simpler back then

A = shoot
B= jump
:lol

With the current gen consoles, you have to remember the control combos for each game

leemajors
03-18-2013, 02:06 PM
I stand corrected. That was the only way I ever got through Jaqiuo and the alien tbh.

NESticle was so awesome when it came out. ALLNES.ZIP with 3k games :lol

baseline bum
03-18-2013, 03:15 PM
My first console was a Master System and its wonderful rectangular shaped controllers, similar to the NES controller but without the select and pause buttons. If you wanted to pause your game you had to use the big pause button placed next to the console's power switch.

It's funny how technology evolves but consoles nowadays can break so easily, while consoles from the 80's/90's are so durable.

Gotta disagree, as the NES has to be the least durable system ever. I remember how the fucking thing would reset over and over half the time you turned it on if it was a year old or more, screwing around with the cartridge for 5 minutes every time you wanted to change the game, and so on. Playing an NES that you had for a while was just an extreme exercise in frustration. I mean the games were incredible but that piece of hardware was about as far from durable as any I can think of ever using.

baseline bum
03-18-2013, 03:18 PM
NESticle was so awesome when it came out. ALLNES.ZIP with 3k games :lol

LOL the bloody hand as the mouse pointer. I use FCEU now for playing NES games though. Are there any better emulators currently?

leemajors
03-18-2013, 03:32 PM
I haven't tried any in a while tbh, may go install fceu in a bit to play rbi baseball

resistanze
03-18-2013, 03:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaTJAw0QDH0
This game was so RAW.

Bynumite
03-18-2013, 11:28 PM
Gotta disagree, as the NES has to be the least durable system ever. I remember how the fucking thing would reset over and over half the time you turned it on if it was a year old or more, screwing around with the cartridge for 5 minutes every time you wanted to change the game, and so on. Playing an NES that you had for a while was just an extreme exercise in frustration. I mean the games were incredible but that piece of hardware was about as far from durable as any I can think of ever using.

Maybe it's a Nintendo thing, i've always been more of a Sega guy and from my experience with their consoles they always seemed pretty reliable.

DJR210
03-18-2013, 11:56 PM
Why buy a Retron? Emulator is free..

I love the old games still. I could remember walking to Blockbuster video 2 miles away just to get some time playing Mario 64 weeks before the n64 dropped..Thinking the graphics in Ocarina of Time were the shit..

..the old 64 wrestling games in 4 player modes were some of the best times alongside local multiplayer Goldeneye. I've discovered a game called King Of Colosseum on PS2 that reminds me of all the old 64 wrestling games, with better graphics and more moves..good times

lefty
03-19-2013, 12:43 AM
..the old 64 wrestling games in 4 player modes were some of the best times alongside local multiplayer Goldeneye.
A friend of mine had GoldenEye on his N64

He would kill us everytime because he was familiar with the game :lol (4 players)

But it was really fun

Mario Kart was also awesome in multiplayer

baseline bum
03-19-2013, 02:35 AM
Maybe it's a Nintendo thing, i've always been more of a Sega guy and from my experience with their consoles they always seemed pretty reliable.

I loved Sega's arcade games, but never got one of their systems. If they would have ever released the original Shinobi on Genesis I would have been all over it. The Master System and DOS ports were horrible:

Master System
uQxzYlxeNOM

DOS
IcBV5joW7Kg

Arcade
Ovq8jx8r3gs

Pissed me off having to wait until about 1998 to play that game in its full glory on my own system (thanks to the System16 emulator and later MAME). Still probably my favorite arcade game ever. Thankfully XBox Live Arcade has a really good quality port of it now (as opposed to the shitty Double Dragon port, which plays way faster than the actual arcade ever did).

NASpurs
03-19-2013, 02:47 AM
I remember my dad buying me that converter that went on top of the Genesis to play Sega Master games. The games were trash but I had good times.

Now that I think about it, I don't know why I acquired it. It's not like he knew that it allowed you to play games from the Master system and at the time, I didn't know wtf was a Sega Master. It was pretty obscure. Who knows. :lol

http://www.retrocopy.com/blogimages/md-powerbase-converter.jpg

NASpurs
03-19-2013, 02:49 AM
Why buy a Retron? Emulator is free..

Because people still want to use their cartridges? There's nothing like popping in an old cartridge, being surprised that it works, play it for an hour or two (probably beating the game) and forgetting about it until 10 years later.

DarrinS
03-19-2013, 04:01 PM
Anyone use Mame?

http://www.mamedev.org

I've got it set up on my HTPC, but my 9 y.o. son doesn't have much interest in older games.

I still enjoy playing old arcade games on it, e.g. Defender, Galaga, Donkey Kong etc. I use one of those generic usb gamepads you can get on dealextreme. Getting used to controls on the gamepad, especially for Defender is a b@#$!. The complexity of controllers is probably why I never got into the newer game systems. That, and I'm old.

lefty
03-19-2013, 04:10 PM
y older brother had this when he was a kid :lol

Mario's 1st appearance :wow

http://plaza.fi/s/f/editor/images/wired_retrolulut_uut0903_donkey_kong.jpg

Mario has to save the Princess from Donkey Kong

baseline bum
03-19-2013, 04:58 PM
Anyone use Mame?

http://www.mamedev.org

I've got it set up on my HTPC, but my 9 y.o. son doesn't have much interest in older games.

I still enjoy playing old arcade games on it, e.g. Defender, Galaga, Donkey Kong etc. I use one of those generic usb gamepads you can get on dealextreme. Getting used to controls on the gamepad, especially for Defender is a b@#$!. The complexity of controllers is probably why I never got into the newer game systems. That, and I'm old.

El Nono was a developer for the MAME project.

Mister Sinister
03-19-2013, 05:35 PM
LOL the bloody hand as the mouse pointer. I use FCEU now for playing NES games though. Are there any better emulators currently?
I'm currently using Nestopia, myself. I've used FCEU, NESticle, and Nestopia the most of any, and I've got a slight leaning towards Nestopia. Though that could easily be because it's what was in the Emu/ROM collection I had on a flash drive when I switched laptops, and as such, I've been using it for a few years.

DarrinS
03-19-2013, 06:05 PM
El Nono was a developer for the MAME project.

That's pretty cool. If I haven't pissed him off too much, maybe he'll give me some technical advice. :lol

DarrinS
03-19-2013, 06:06 PM
I'm currently using Nestopia, myself. I've used FCEU, NESticle, and Nestopia the most of any, and I've got a slight leaning towards Nestopia. Though that could easily be because it's what was in the Emu/ROM collection I had on a flash drive when I switched laptops, and as such, I've been using it for a few years.

Have you tried JNes?

benefactor
03-19-2013, 07:49 PM
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/733924_3966928351611_304924900_n.jpg

baseline bum
03-19-2013, 08:54 PM
That's pretty cool. If I haven't pissed him off too much, maybe he'll give me some technical advice. :lol

Nah, you'll be cool with him unless you come out as a Parker fan tbh.

ElNono
03-19-2013, 09:37 PM

I don't get pissed over the interwebs :lol

What do you need?

DarrinS
03-19-2013, 09:59 PM
I don't get pissed over the interwebs :lol

What do you need?

I was just joking. The version I have works great. At one point, I was trying to use Hyperspin as a front end, but I don't think I have a good enough graphics card.

DarrinS
03-19-2013, 10:01 PM
Nah, you'll be cool with him unless you come out as a Parker fan tbh.

I'm more of a Duncan fan, tbh.

ElNono
03-19-2013, 10:08 PM
I was just joking. The version I have works great. At one point, I was trying to use Hyperspin as a front end, but I don't think I have a good enough graphics card.

Yeah, don't know much about frontends. Never built my own cabinet thing... I did hear great things about the X-Arcade controller (http://www.xgaming.com/) to get the full arcade retro experience (I'm not affiliated with them)

I'm more involved with the programming side... drivers, audio/video/cpu cores, etc...

DarrinS
03-20-2013, 07:05 AM
Yeah, don't know much about frontends. Never built my own cabinet thing... I did hear great things about the X-Arcade controller (http://www.xgaming.com/) to get the full arcade retro experience (I'm not affiliated with them)

I'm more involved with the programming side... drivers, audio/video/cpu cores, etc...

Building a cabinet looks like a massive project. Thanks for the link. Looks like a nice controller.

Mister Sinister
03-20-2013, 10:44 AM
Have you tried JNes?

Mmmmmaybe? If I have, it's been quite a while. Anything specific about it I should give it a try for?

DarrinS
03-20-2013, 10:46 AM
Mmmmmaybe? If I have, it's been quite a while. Anything specific about it I should give it a try for?

Seems to be pretty highly rated. But, if you're happy with the one you're using, no need to switch.

Clipper Nation
03-20-2013, 08:15 PM
Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, when I was dead broke, man I couldn't picture this...

TheMACHINE
03-20-2013, 11:57 PM
I have Sega master system lol.... altered beast sons.

Flawless
03-21-2013, 12:17 AM
Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, when I was dead broke, man I couldn't picture this...

DJR210
03-21-2013, 02:27 AM
A friend of mine had GoldenEye on his N64

He would kill us everytime because he was familiar with the game :lol (4 players)

But it was really fun

Mario Kart was also awesome in multiplayer

There was always some pussy out of the group who would look at your half of the screen and cheat..I remember skipping school at Jay to walk a mile back home and get on Goldeneye..lol great times

Jacob1983
03-21-2013, 11:42 PM
Goldeneye is probably the best game on N64 and one of the best video games based on a movie. The video game matches up with the story of the movie perfectly. And the music was awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFhHB3p5SZc

leemajors
03-22-2013, 05:43 AM
The game was better than the movie tbh. Temple with grenade launchers was the only thing me and my friends played. I think I still have a working 007'd out copy in my shed along with a 64.

baseline bum
03-22-2013, 06:51 AM
Goldeneye is probably the best game on N64 and one of the best video games based on a movie. The video game matches up with the story of the movie perfectly. And the music was awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFhHB3p5SZc

Goldeneye and the Robocop arcade are the only movie games that were ever really good.

RYYNB2ras0s

NASpurs
03-22-2013, 11:30 AM
Goldeneye and the Robocop arcade are the only movie games that were ever really good.

RYYNB2ras0s

Does the Chronicles of Riddick game count? I heard that one is up there... probably the best ever. Never played it personally.

lefty
03-24-2013, 01:02 AM
So.......

If you miss old games, there is a remastered version of Duck Tales on its way (PS3 - 360 - Wii )

And for 15 $ :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=G6d1A2row6I#!

baseline bum
03-24-2013, 04:19 AM
So.......

If you miss old games, there is a remastered version of Duck Tales on its way (PS3 - 360 - Wii )

And for 15 $ :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=G6d1A2row6I#!

That doesn't look like an improvement at all. I can't stand remakes that slap on modern textures and a scrolling background to try to make a great 1980s game look like a cheap 2010s flash game. Ducktales was one of the most creative and fun NES games of all-time. I mean, what next? SMB1 with cartoony textures and flac soundfiles?

lefty
03-24-2013, 02:52 PM

Should be less than 100$

Hyperkin's Retron 5 gaming console brings your classic cartridges to the big screenBy Jeff Blagdon (http://www.theverge.com/users/jeffblagdon) on March 23, 2013 10:30 pm Email ([email protected]) @jeffblagdon (https://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=jeffblagdon)
35COMMENTS
DON'T MISS ANY STORIES FOLLOW THE VERGE

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/7914793/hyperkin_retron5_640_large_verge_medium_landscape. jpg

inShare

Good news for fans of old video games — accessories maker Hyperkin is unveiling a retro console that will play almost any cartridge you can throw at it, reports Slashdot (http://slashdot.org/topic/cloud/retron-5-plays-cartridges-from-five-classic-consoles/).Named the Retron 5 for its five slots, the machine will handle the same trio of NES, SNES, and Genesis cartridges as its predecessor, the Retron 3 (http://hyperkin.com/retro-gaming/nintendo-nes-game-console/retro-system-retron3.html), as well as Famicom and Game Boy Advance games — not to mention Mega Drive, Super Famicom, Game Boy Color, and original Game Boy titles. HDMI out means you’ll get a clear, digital signal to your HDTV, and Hyperkin says that it will upscale your games to 720p. There are a bunch of built-in niceties, like the ability to save and resume at any point in the game, overclocking to speed through slow parts, and a PS3-like interface for configuring controllers and picking what to play. You'll also have the choice of saving your game to the console, to the cartridge, or to some kind of removable storage, presumably an SD card.
REPS FROM HYPERKIN SAID THAT IT WOULD BE LESS THAN $100
There’s no firm price, but at the Midwest Gaming Classic this weekend (video below), reps from Hyperkin said that it would be less than $100. That will include two Bluetooth wireless controllers, but an array of six controller ports on the console itself will let you use your old pads if you’d rather. There’s no firm release date, but Hyperkin says it will be “sometime after June.”

Reck
03-24-2013, 05:53 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5ni215Hcq1r9no7zo1_500.jpg

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5ni215Hcq1r9no7zo2_500.gif

TheMACHINE
03-24-2013, 09:13 PM
Super Famicom sons

Libri
03-24-2013, 10:54 PM
I wanted a Neo Geo so bad but it was damn expensive.

http://videogamecritic.com/images/systems/neogeo1.jpg

lefty
11-30-2013, 05:49 PM
Currently playing Shinobi 2 and 3 (Genesis emulator) and Tiny Toons (Snes emu) on my Android :lol

Cry Havoc
11-30-2013, 06:32 PM
I just reinstalled Homeworld today. I highly recommend it. It still has an amazing, epic feel and will run on anything today, maybe even netbooks and such. Still a blast to play as well.

CXNQNeLDg5s

Spurtacular
03-27-2021, 02:23 AM
Gonna have to get around to reading this.

https://www.wired.com/story/best-way-to-play-retro-games-virtual-console-emulator/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

baseline bum
03-27-2021, 07:28 AM
If you want to play original hardware, there is now an easy way to burn DVDs to play on an unmodded PS2, don't even need Free McBoot anymore to play burned games. Still need Free McBoot if you want to play PS2 games off a hard drive or from your network though. Also PS1 now has a new softmod called Tonyhax that works to let you play any burned CD game if you have an original copy of Tony Hawk 2, 3, or 4 on PS1 as well as an exploited savefile on your memory card. If you have a Free McBoot memory card and a compatible PS2 it's easy to make a Tonyhax memory card for softmodding PS1. Though IMO the most exciting recent news is the yellow light of death plaguing fat PS3 turns out to be caused by two simple off the shelf capacitors going bad, and they're really easy to replace it you have any soldering skills. So a BC CECHA0x or CECHB0x sounds like an incredible buy for playing PS1, PS2, and PS3 in one box over HDMI. Plus it has the best softmod of any of those systems, where you can just do it one time and forget. Though if I wanted to play PS1 on original hardware I'd do the XStation mod to load games off microSD, since PS3 emulates PS1 games and the scrolling is a little messed up vs playing on a real PS1. CECHA0x and CECHB0x PS3 play PS2 games in actual PS2 hardware though, so no compromises playing PS2 games going that route.

baseline bum
03-27-2021, 07:50 AM
And for anyone who wants an HDMI SNES/NES, damn the SNES Classic is pretty fucking sweet. Only emulation I have ever found that plays Super Mario World with low enough lag that I can play the game constantly holding the run button and still pull off the pinpoint jumps like I used to do on a real SNES. Controllers feel just like the real thing too. Plus you can mod the SNES Classic to dump the shitty games like Super Ghouls n Ghosts (Genesis Ghouls n Ghosts was 100x better) and put good games on, and then dual boot with the NES Classic OS and do the same to dump shit games like Ice Climber, Pacman, and Galaga (those NES ports suck compared to playing on MAME) and put good shit on. Plus the NES Classic OS plays Famicom and Famicom Disk System games right out of the box, so you can play JP only games like the real Super Mario Bros 2 and Doki Doki Panic (the game Nintendo of America romhacked into the US Super Mario Bros 2), or the Japanese versions of Zelda and Metroid that had much better sound since they came out on Famicom Disk System in Japan. Zelda 2 is a bit different on the JP version too. Plus you can use NES Classic controllers on the SNES Classic for when you boot into the NES Classic OS.

Reck
03-27-2021, 11:28 AM
And for anyone who wants an HDMI SNES/NES, damn the SNES Classic is pretty fucking sweet. Only emulation I have ever found that plays Super Mario World with low enough lag that I can play the game constantly holding the run button and still pull off the pinpoint jumps like I used to do on a real SNES. Controllers feel just like the real thing too. Plus you can mod the SNES Classic to dump the shitty games like Super Ghouls n Ghosts (Genesis Ghouls n Ghosts was 100x better) and put good games on, and then dual boot with the NES Classic OS and do the same to dump shit games like Ice Climber, Pacman, and Galaga (those NES ports suck compared to playing on MAME) and put good shit on. Plus the NES Classic OS plays Famicom and Famicom Disk System games right out of the box, so you can play JP only games like the real Super Mario Bros 2 and Doki Doki Panic (the game Nintendo of America romhacked into the US Super Mario Bros 2), or the Japanese versions of Zelda and Metroid that had much better sound since they came out on Famicom Disk System in Japan. Zelda 2 is a bit different on the JP version too. Plus you can use NES Classic controllers on the SNES Classic for when you boot into the NES Classic OS.

You bought that at 250?

baseline bum
03-27-2021, 11:51 AM
You bought that at 250?

Got it a few years back when they were $80. I see them on ebay right now for $120 and I think they're easily worth that as long as you're getting the legit SNES Classic and not some crap knockoff. I strongly prefer playing it to the SNES and NES games on Switch Online.

Reck
03-27-2021, 11:59 AM
Got it a few years back when they were $80. I see them on ebay right now for $120 and I think they're easily worth that as long as you're getting the legit SNES Classic and not some crap knockoff. I strongly prefer playing it to the SNES and NES games on Switch Online.

How can you replace and add games to it? Seems like a security oversight by Nintendo there. Odd considering how stingy they are with their games and consoles.

baseline bum
03-27-2021, 12:08 PM
How can you replace and add games to it? Seems like a security oversight by Nintendo there. Odd considering how stingy they are with their games and consoles.

It's powered via USB so you can inject games into it through that USB port. Check out tutorials for hakchi.

baseline bum
03-27-2021, 06:17 PM
Shit, just found out Tonyhax also works to play burned PS1 games on SCPH-30001 and SCPH-39001 PS2 Fats. I'm going to have to pick up a PS1 memory card and one of the compatible games now since my PS2 is an SCPH-39001. The Free McBoot hack for PS2 games is awesome but leads to trash performance on PS1 roms / PS1 burned discs since it runs on the PS2's PS1 processor but now Tonyhax lets me use my PS2 also as a softmodded PS1.

RD2191
03-27-2021, 06:35 PM
I really want a PS2 slim but I have legit OCD(I go crazy trying to fix scratches and shit) and I hate buying used consoles. Not sure if I want to fork out 800+ for a new one though. Plus I'd want a new CRT to play it on and that's another 4-5 hundred bucks. I might pull the trigger though, I'm itching to play Underground 2.

baseline bum
03-27-2021, 07:36 PM
I really want a PS2 slim but I have legit OCD(I go crazy trying to fix scratches and shit) and I hate buying used consoles. Not sure if I want to fork out 800+ for a new one though. Plus I'd want a new CRT to play it on and that's another 4-5 hundred bucks. I might pull the trigger though, I'm itching to play Underground 2.

If your HDTV has component input and doesn't crap itself over a 480i signal you can still get a nice picture out of a PS2. Not as clean as component is on a CRT but still every bit as good as if you were playing PS2 on a backward compatible PS3 over HDMI. The cable I use was like $15 from Gamestop and my PS2 looks pretty nice on the bigscreen.

Why Slimline over Fat though? Just because it's smaller and quieter? These days there are a few good options for playing pirated PS2 games. From best to worst I'd rank them

1. Off an internal hard drive or internal SD card
2. Off a burned DVD
3. Shared from your PC over the network

For option 1 you probably want to have a PS2 fat. There are ways to use an internal SD card with a Slimline but they require some tricky soldering. Using an SD card or any kind of drive through the USB ports sucks, don't bother with it. Your games will run like shit doing this through the USB ports, as they're way too slow. You 100% want to do this through the network / hard drive adapter if you go this route to get good performance.

This is a bit of a pain in the ass but I can give you some pointers on how to do it if you're interested. No soldering or anything like that needed for a PS2 Fat though. This one is best IMO since it speeds up load times vs reading from the DVD. This will require buying a Free McBoot memory card (about $15 to $20 on ebay last I checked) plus a network adapter (there is a place in town selling them for $10), plus another $20 to $30 worth of adapters if you do the SD card method (depending on how you want to transfer games to your SD card), or another $15 or so if you want to use a SATA hard drive. There is virtually no difference between hard drive vs a Class 10 SD card for read speeds.

For option 2 your best bet is buying a Slimline, as the FreeDVDBoot works on all Slimline PS2. It works on many Fat PS2 also, but is dependent on which firmware and DVD drive in a given Fat PS2, which you won't know just looking at it from the outside before buying. This doesn't require buying anything extra, as the hack comes from using a program to embed the hack into the DVD you burn when you burn a copy of a game to disc. This is easily the least hassle free method, and will run just like playing legit discs. So no speedup in load times like you'd get in option 1.

For option 3 you can use any PS2 other than an SCPH-90000 series Slimline, eg the last model of PS2 Slimline ever launched. This is what the SCPH-90000 series PS2 Slimline look like:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8f/Sony-PlayStation-2-90001-Console-BL.jpg

Any other PS2 Slimline is fine though. Eg the models that look like this with the glossy center stripe are fine:

https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/images4/1/1215/19/sony-ps2-slim-console-scph-75001_1_f8bdf3d92f729a335c4737b3db9c5bc6.jpg

For this option you'll need a Free McBoot memory card and if you buy a PS2 Fat you'll also need the official PS2 network adapter. Though if you want to do this method you should really go Slimline (other than SCPH-90000 series) since they have a built in ethernet adapter. Then you'd connect the PS2 to your router via an ethernet cable and share roms from your PC. This is the method I use right now and it works really well most of the time, though there are a few games you'll get stutter in full motion video cutscenes doing this. And if you're running a lot of crap on your PC at the time and low on available memory you'll notice stutters in FMV cutscenes. I have yet to run into a game that stutters at all in actual gameplay though out of the 50 or so I have played using this method.

baseline bum
03-27-2021, 07:47 PM
And PS2 emulation sucks bad, so you either want a real PS2 or CECHA0x or CECHB0x PS3 to play PS2 games. Nothing else plays them well.

DJR210
03-30-2021, 10:39 PM
Wasn't worth making a new thread, but do any of you have a preinstalled Android retro device to recommend? I'm looking for one of the chinese made shit ones, but not sure which one is considered the best..

baseline bum
03-31-2021, 07:32 AM
Wasn't worth making a new thread, but do any of you have a preinstalled Android retro device to recommend? I'm looking for one of the chinese made shit ones, but not sure which one is considered the best..

Are you talking about the Chinese retro gaming handhelds? Why buy that crap? They're not cheap from what I have seen. Get a hackable Switch or a Vita. If you're just looking for NES, SNES, Genesis, TurboGrafx, GBA, and MAME the Switch is an awesome handheld for it. PS1 is ok too. N64 is kind of a crapshoot, but N64 is tough to emulate on everything but PC and Nvidia Shield. Vita can do all that Switch can do on emulation while also giving rock solid PS1 and PSP support. The Vita hack is easy and any Vita is hackable, plus there is a $6 adapter you can buy on Amazon to use a microSD instead of the garbage Vita memory cards. As for Switch, whether its hackable can be ascertained from the serial. If you're interested I'll send you a link to the serials you want to look for.

If you're talking an emulation box to connect to the TV, Nvidia Shield is supposed to be the best, though if you check ETA Prime's youtube channel he does a lot of reviews of single board emulation systems at all price points.

DJR210
03-31-2021, 12:27 PM
Are you talking about the Chinese retro gaming handhelds? Why buy that crap? They're not cheap from what I have seen. Get a hackable Switch or a Vita. If you're just looking for NES, SNES, Genesis, TurboGrafx, GBA, and MAME the Switch is an awesome handheld for it. PS1 is ok too. N64 is kind of a crapshoot, but N64 is tough to emulate on everything but PC and Nvidia Shield. Vita can do all that Switch can do on emulation while also giving rock solid PS1 and PSP support. The Vita hack is easy and any Vita is hackable, plus there is a $6 adapter you can buy on Amazon to use a microSD instead of the garbage Vita memory cards. As for Switch, whether its hackable can be ascertained from the serial. If you're interested I'll send you a link to the serials you want to look for.

If you're talking an emulation box to connect to the TV, Nvidia Shield is supposed to be the best, though if you check ETA Prime's youtube channel he does a lot of reviews of single board emulation systems at all price points.

Nah, not the hand helds.. The Android boxes that are pre-installed.. I know the Shield is the most powerful, but I want to purchase a cheap Chinese one that has everything pre-installed and runs up to PS1 games

baseline bum
03-31-2021, 01:42 PM
Nah, not the hand helds.. The Android boxes that are pre-installed.. I know the Shield is the most powerful, but I want to purchase a cheap Chinese one that has everything pre-installed and runs up to PS1 games

Is it hard to put emulators and roms on a Shield? Or does Shield not let you store a bunch of shit on an SD card? Don't know what to recommend in that case, but if it comes from China it's probably going to have lousy emulation and a bunch of crap games and romhacks. I have tried some of those cheap Chinese NES Classic knockoffs and they're horrible. Not in the I'm an NES purist kind of way, but in the these controls are too laggy to play the game without dying all the time and the pad is mushy as hell kind of way.

If you care a lot about PS1 performance you might consider the Playstation TV, which is a version of the Vita that can be connected to a TV. You'll get really solid performance for PS1, PSP, and Vita games in addition to the easy to run stuff like NES, SNES, Genesis, etc., though a lot of Vita games won't run on it since they depend on the camera and gyro controls. You can hack it too, but you'd need to buy a DualShock 3 or DualShock 4 to use it. But obviously that requires doing some legwork, won't get it with everything pre-installed.

RD2191
04-16-2021, 08:35 PM
If your HDTV has component input and doesn't crap itself over a 480i signal you can still get a nice picture out of a PS2. Not as clean as component is on a CRT but still every bit as good as if you were playing PS2 on a backward compatible PS3 over HDMI. The cable I use was like $15 from Gamestop and my PS2 looks pretty nice on the bigscreen.

Why Slimline over Fat though? Just because it's smaller and quieter? These days there are a few good options for playing pirated PS2 games. From best to worst I'd rank them

1. Off an internal hard drive or internal SD card
2. Off a burned DVD
3. Shared from your PC over the network

For option 1 you probably want to have a PS2 fat. There are ways to use an internal SD card with a Slimline but they require some tricky soldering. Using an SD card or any kind of drive through the USB ports sucks, don't bother with it. Your games will run like shit doing this through the USB ports, as they're way too slow. You 100% want to do this through the network / hard drive adapter if you go this route to get good performance.

This is a bit of a pain in the ass but I can give you some pointers on how to do it if you're interested. No soldering or anything like that needed for a PS2 Fat though. This one is best IMO since it speeds up load times vs reading from the DVD. This will require buying a Free McBoot memory card (about $15 to $20 on ebay last I checked) plus a network adapter (there is a place in town selling them for $10), plus another $20 to $30 worth of adapters if you do the SD card method (depending on how you want to transfer games to your SD card), or another $15 or so if you want to use a SATA hard drive. There is virtually no difference between hard drive vs a Class 10 SD card for read speeds.

For option 2 your best bet is buying a Slimline, as the FreeDVDBoot works on all Slimline PS2. It works on many Fat PS2 also, but is dependent on which firmware and DVD drive in a given Fat PS2, which you won't know just looking at it from the outside before buying. This doesn't require buying anything extra, as the hack comes from using a program to embed the hack into the DVD you burn when you burn a copy of a game to disc. This is easily the least hassle free method, and will run just like playing legit discs. So no speedup in load times like you'd get in option 1.

For option 3 you can use any PS2 other than an SCPH-90000 series Slimline, eg the last model of PS2 Slimline ever launched. This is what the SCPH-90000 series PS2 Slimline look like:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8f/Sony-PlayStation-2-90001-Console-BL.jpg

Any other PS2 Slimline is fine though. Eg the models that look like this with the glossy center stripe are fine:

https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/images4/1/1215/19/sony-ps2-slim-console-scph-75001_1_f8bdf3d92f729a335c4737b3db9c5bc6.jpg

For this option you'll need a Free McBoot memory card and if you buy a PS2 Fat you'll also need the official PS2 network adapter. Though if you want to do this method you should really go Slimline (other than SCPH-90000 series) since they have a built in ethernet adapter. Then you'd connect the PS2 to your router via an ethernet cable and share roms from your PC. This is the method I use right now and it works really well most of the time, though there are a few games you'll get stutter in full motion video cutscenes doing this. And if you're running a lot of crap on your PC at the time and low on available memory you'll notice stutters in FMV cutscenes. I have yet to run into a game that stutters at all in actual gameplay though out of the 50 or so I have played using this method.
Thanks for the informative post Bum, I appreciate it. And tbh I'm not a huge gamer, I do like games but for the PS2 and CRT it's mostly the nostalgia factor. If I do end up picking one up I'd only be looking to play around 10 titles or less. I only remember a select few, Need for Speed games were always the top of the list for me, followed by SSX Tricky, I fucking LOVED that game. Lol. I spent an unhealthy amount of hours playing that shit on my friend's dad "big screen" TV. :lol Were there any good Tony Hawk games on PS2? I mostly remember playing them on PS1. And fuck, now that I think about it I wouldn't mind picking up a few of those lame ass Disney games. I liked the Atlantis and Donald Duck one growing up. :lol

baseline bum
04-16-2021, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the informative post Bum, I appreciate it. And tbh I'm not a huge gamer, I do like games but for the PS2 and CRT it's mostly the nostalgia factor. If I do end up picking one up I'd only be looking to play around 10 titles or less. I only remember a select few, Need for Speed games were always the top of the list for me, followed by SSX Tricky, I fucking LOVED that game. Lol. I spent an unhealthy amount of hours playing that shit on my friend's dad "big screen" TV. :lol Were there any good Tony Hawk games on PS2? I mostly remember playing them on PS1. And fuck, now that I think about it I wouldn't mind picking up a few of those lame ass Disney games. I liked the Atlantis and Donald Duck one growing up. :lol

Funny, when I found a PS2 for $20 at Goodwill like 3-4 years ago got it home and turned out it had a working copy of SSX3 in the disc tray. Never played SSX Tricky, but fucking loved SSX3. Well, CRT is definitely the best way to go on PS2, especially if you have S-Video or Component on your CRT. I don't know when the Tony Hawk games started being designed for PS2. But I remember there was an amazing PC port of Tony Hawk 2 that I played the shit out of in the late 90s, early 00s. It looked so much better than the N64 and PS1 versions. Damn I wish I still had it to see if it would work on modern Windows (think the highest I played it on was XP).

https://www.amazon.com/Tony-Hawks-Pro-Skater-2-PC/dp/B00004U55D

baseline bum
04-16-2021, 09:11 PM
Wow, actually found the full game on an abandonware site

https://www.myabandonware.com/game/tony-hawk-s-pro-skater-2-a2e

I wonder if there is any way to get a modern controller to work on it. God damnit why did I throw out my old Gravis Gamepads

:pctoss