PDA

View Full Version : What to make of Gary Neal and his role on the team?

ElNono
03-17-2013, 04:11 PM
Pop seems convinced Gary should take the backup PG duties since he came back from injury. But it's been feast or famine no matter how you look at it, IMO. The defense never been there, but offensively he can sometimes carry the load, which was badly needed since Tony went down. He has had some nagging injuries throughout the season, and nobody really knows how much are they affecting him. On the other hand, it's entirely possible he has just hit his ceiling as a player.

He's obviously a valuable role player when things are going right for him, and one of the few in this team that can actually create his own shot. I always thought the comparisons with RMJ were absurd.

Playoffs are around the corner, and you would think he would've solidified in his role, but apparently there's still some shuffling going on and some sudden benching. I think Gary is a key piece this team will need for any deep playoff run. What are your thoughts on his overall play and looking forward?

ajballer4
03-17-2013, 04:18 PM
IMO, he's going to be the backup PG come playoff time. However, as witnessed yesterday, when he is struggling it's time to take him out and roll with NDC or Patty. As you said, when he's hot, he's hot and there is no reason to bench him unless he is just getting torched on the defensive end (EX: Bledsoe, Lillard, etc.).

Keep him as the backup PG, but on a very short leash. I also have no problem with CoJo taking over backup PG duties as long as Patty gets the spot minutes where he can spark the team.

exstatic
03-17-2013, 04:22 PM
CoJo, ftw.

Brunodf
03-17-2013, 04:24 PM
Neal has a big hole in his game, shouldn't be in the rotation.

Russ
03-17-2013, 04:25 PM
Forget about calling Neal a "backup point guard" or anything else.

He's a scorer off the bench. He has no position. Put him in with Parker if need be. Put him in with Manu. Whoever.

His job is not to "distribute" or "guard his man." His job is to score. Period.

And if he doesn't score at crucial times in the playoffs, the Spurs will lose.

His position is, and always will be, scorer.

DesignatedT
03-17-2013, 04:28 PM
I understand the increase in minutes for Gary since Tony is down. As you said, his scoring is badly needed at times. Saying that, he still hasn't impressed or taken advantage of this increased role yet.

What CoJo brings defensively might end up being more valuable in the post season if Neal can't get his offense going. A offensively-challenged Neal is useless when it comes down it. He still has some time to put it together though but he better act quick.

I have a feeling Pop is going to struggle with the idea of playing CoJo important minutes in the playoffs though so this might all be moot and Pop might role with Neal regardless of his struggles.

Juggity
03-17-2013, 04:29 PM
I trust him when it comes down to the last shot of the game

DesignatedT
03-17-2013, 04:31 PM
I trust him when it comes down to the last shot of the game

and this is exactly what keeps buying him minutes. Much like Jackson.

Bruno
03-17-2013, 04:32 PM
Not even Pop knows what Pop will do with Neal.

timtonymanu
03-17-2013, 04:37 PM
Yeah, Neal comes in handy when the offense is struggling. But the defense is what has been falling lately and Neal is a big reason why. Obviously I would like CoJo to be the backup PG since he plays defense and doesn't disrupt the offense.

IMO, I would make CoJo the backup PG and Neal the 3rd string SG, which may be better for him considering he isn't 100%. But I get the feeling Pop will insert him into CoJo's role since Gary knows the system and has been part of the team for a while.

I also know Pop is less tolerant of bad defense than he has been the past few years. So if Neal is playing terrible defense, I know Pop will sit him down.

FuzzyLumpkins
03-17-2013, 04:41 PM
I would use him situationally. If Manu is sucking put Neal in or Cojo if not. Neal's shot needs to come around. He has been shooting like poo.

BackHome
03-17-2013, 04:59 PM
I have probably been the biggest Hater on CoJo on this board but the dude is polar opposite of what he was last year. He is can dribble the ball without looking like a troll and he is getting confidence in his outside shot. He was shooting something like 50% in the D-League and he can play very good defense which Neal is totally lacking. The only issue will be when the big lights get turned on how will he respond?

For what ever reason Neal does not have any conficence is his shot and when he shots the ball i don't think it is going in. On the other hand when Mills and Neal shoot I think it is going in and they usually do, you can tell the difference in how they are playing.

tesseractive
03-17-2013, 05:36 PM
Forget about calling Neal a "backup point guard" or anything else.

He's a scorer off the bench. He has no position. Put him in with Parker if need be. Put him in with Manu. Whoever.

His job is not to "distribute" or "guard his man." His job is to score. Period.

And if he doesn't score at crucial times in the playoffs, the Spurs will lose.

His position is, and always will be, scorer.

This. He's like Steve Kerr was -- if the offense is in a big hole, he might be able to dig you out, but you have to hide him on defense. In a perfect lineup, he would be out of the rotation, and you'd bring him in situationally. But we haven't seen a lot of signs that someone else has earned playoff minutes -- Mills hasn't, and neither NDC or CoJo has any playoff experience, so they're big unknowns.

So I think we have to go into the playoffs with Neal as the 4th guard, and experiment to see whether the kids can handle the pressure before we lay serious playoff roles on them.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
03-17-2013, 05:36 PM
I can see Pop give Cojo some minutes in the first round and see what happens.

Really, it shouldn't be Cojo vs. Neal. If Cojo can handle backup PG duty, there is no reason Neal couldn't play next to him.

Thread
03-17-2013, 05:37 PM
He rapedPERIOD

superjames1992
03-17-2013, 06:22 PM
Hero is shooting 40.6% from the floor and 35.6% from downtown.

spurs10
03-17-2013, 08:07 PM
Well after last night we can't blame our defensive regression on Neal. I'm hoping our problems there are largely due to Tony's injury. It seems like Gary is our 4th guard, no matter what we call him. I don't like seeing him bring the ball up court or defending fast pg's, but the same can be said of everyone not named Tony. Manu and Neil will likely be combo guards in the playoffs and mix it up, with Manu being more of a play maker. CoJo, Nando, and Patty are likely to take a backseat to a healthy Gary. Unless our opponents back-up pg is more of a starting pg and wreaks havoc on our bench, I think Gary and Manu together can handle most of the time we rest TP.
All this being said, Joseph is our 'second' starting pg. I just think Gary will likely be the 4th guard.

thispego
03-17-2013, 09:31 PM
Neal has a big hole in his game, shouldn't be in the rotation.

ufc fans don't get an opinion, k? thanks.

Brunodf
03-18-2013, 12:23 AM
ufc fans don't get an opinion, k? thanks.

Are u mad bro?

HarlemHeat37
03-18-2013, 12:35 AM
He has fatal flaws, but when he's hot, he's a fearless scorer that has some playoff experience..it's a difficult decision for Pop, tbh..

It's tough to rely on a guy that doesn't play defense and becomes a chucker, but it could help to have a guy for situational purposes when the offense is struggling..a player like Eddie House from a few years ago comes to mind..

Joseph has improved dramatically, but he's still too conservative and often appears afraid to make mistakes..generally, conservative players don't play as well in the playoffs IMO..I'd like to see him display more aggressiveness in the next few weeks..

therealtruth
03-18-2013, 01:41 AM
I also know Pop is less tolerant of bad defense than he has been the past few years. So if Neal is playing terrible defense, I know Pop will sit him down.

Hopefully but the later rounds of the playoffs come down to a game of mistakes and even one defensive mistake too many can cost you a game. I would rather take good defense over hot shooting because it's not sustainable. Neal might be useful for spot minutes when the team needs a spark but their backbone really needs to be their defense and offensive execution.

TJastal
03-18-2013, 07:07 AM
He has fatal flaws, but when he's hot, he's a fearless scorer that has some playoff experience..it's a difficult decision for Pop, tbh..

It's tough to rely on a guy that doesn't play defense and becomes a chucker, but it could help to have a guy for situational purposes when the offense is struggling..a player like Eddie House from a few years ago comes to mind..

Joseph has improved dramatically, but he's still too conservative and often appears afraid to make mistakes..generally, conservative players don't play as well in the playoffs IMO..I'd like to see him display more aggressiveness in the next few weeks..

Thing is, with guys like Splitter, Leonard, & Green starting to step up and assert themselves offensively (tp injury blessing in disguise?) Neal's offense just became a little less useful. Combined with his shoddy to non existent defense and horrible handles is it really wise to bank on this guy when their are 3 other guys who have much more rounded abilities?

Nonetheless, I fully expect Pop to ride the choo-choo train until it derails and explodes, taking the rest of the team with it.

Obstructed_View
03-18-2013, 08:33 AM
Neal's an offensive role player, not a rotation player.

Captivus
03-18-2013, 09:27 AM
Hero is shooting 40.6% from the floor and 35.6% from downtown.

Thats what happens when you play him with players that wont shoot even wide open, so he has to take a shot.
I would like to see a stat that shows who takes the shots when theres less than 5 seconds remaining in each possession, thats what you do when players hide and the PG has to take a forced shot.
Im not saying he should be the backup PG...Im just saying his FG is higher than that. We've seen what he can do if he has a little space, usually when playing with Parker.

DrunkTXLabrat
03-18-2013, 09:41 AM
Neal's an offensive role player, not a rotation player.

yes but pop gets carried away with him and he looks an awful lot like a rotation player. he's got pop's favorite traits. small baller and court spreader. at the end of the day i think you're right and he's an offensive role player. as he should be. but the way pop favors him makes him seem like a rotation guy.

DrunkTXLabrat
03-18-2013, 09:43 AM
Thats what happens when you play him with players that wont shoot even wide open, so he has to take a shot.
I would like to see a stat that shows who takes the shots when theres less than 5 seconds remaining in each possession, thats what you do when players hide and the PG has to take a forced shot.
Im not saying he should be the backup PG...Im just saying his FG is higher than that. We've seen what he can do if he has a little space, usually when playing with Parker.

that would be an interesting stat.

AFBlue
03-18-2013, 11:36 AM
He's not healthy and it's clearly affecting his production on both ends. He needs to get benched until the playoffs to heal up, then get dusted off and come out firing.

Sadly though, I doubt very much that happens due to Tony being out (scoring needed) and Pop being a stubborn ass. I'm pretty sure he'll get the backup PG minutes when Tony returns and continue to play hobbled, inconsistent basketball. Hope I'm wrong.

jjktkk
03-18-2013, 11:57 AM
His role is the designated gunner. Neal's scoring abilty is what solidfies his role on this team.

Boomersgold
03-18-2013, 01:43 PM
When the playoffs come, Pop will most likely use Neal as the backup. He isn't the type to put his trust into a rookie (De Colo) or someone who's barely played with the Spurs (Cojo).

bus driver
03-18-2013, 02:03 PM
isnt neal still hurt?
he needs to rest the rest of the season and get him ready a week before the PO

spursfaninla
03-18-2013, 02:34 PM
Neal is not going to benefit much from rest. His injury is plantar fasciitis, which requires months to actually recover from. So he will not be good until after a summer layoff.

pad300
03-18-2013, 02:50 PM

There is something like that at 82games. com
For example, for Gary Neal
http://www.82games.com/1213/12SAS4.HTM
scroll down to
Shooting Deltails - Shot Clock usage
Gary Neal Take 20% of his shots in the 16-20 second range, and 12% at 21 seconds +

crc21209
03-18-2013, 03:30 PM
I don't want Neal to be the backup PG come Playoff time. I don't like his defense, and his shot hasn't looked the same since he got hurt. But...I will admit that he can be a huge offensive weapon off the bench when he's right. With that being said, I wouldn't mind if he's out there as a 2-guard with Tony, Manu, or CoJo at point. And if either Green or Manu are struggling during a game, I wouldn't mind him being out there either...

DesignatedT
03-18-2013, 03:40 PM
There is something like that at 82games. com
For example, for Gary Neal
http://www.82games.com/1213/12SAS4.HTM
scroll down to
Shooting Deltails - Shot Clock usage
Gary Neal Take 20% of his shots in the 16-20 second range, and 12% at 21 seconds +

That's pretty interesting.

therealtruth
03-18-2013, 07:30 PM
I think Neal should only really play when you can hide him on a non-offensive threat.