PDA

View Full Version : I knew I shouldn't have registered to vote

timvp
07-06-2005, 04:54 PM
Jury duty.

:pctoss

Shelly
07-06-2005, 04:57 PM
I got called in January, but since I still have one under 10, I was able to get out of it.

Just tell them you believe in the death penalty.

bigzak25
07-06-2005, 04:58 PM
i'd say look at the bright side, a day off of work and go home early, but...that sux man.

make us proud. when in doubt? convict.

Shelly
07-06-2005, 04:59 PM
And just think, you'll be up $5 per day!

SWC Bonfire
07-06-2005, 05:01 PM
It's supposed to be off your driver's lisc. registration.

My dad recently had Federal jury duty in SA. He would have had to drive over an hour every morning to get there. Luckily, he said he knew too much about the case to get picked... I then asked him which city councilman was on trial.:lol

Kori Ellis
07-06-2005, 05:05 PM
Just tell them you believe in the death penalty.

So, just tell the truth??

:lol

Useruser666
07-06-2005, 05:10 PM
When they first ask, "Does anyone have any questions?"

Just say, "Now, do I get to throw the switch personally?"

MannyIsGod
07-06-2005, 05:11 PM
:lmao

Act like Mandy. Tell them you hate Mexicans and you'll be set.

spurschick
07-06-2005, 05:14 PM

:lmao :lmao

samikeyp
07-06-2005, 05:24 PM
When they start questioning you, tell them "I can spot a guilty person just like that" (snap fingers)

you'll be out by lunchtime. :)

Ginofan
07-06-2005, 05:32 PM

It's the only way to go.

TNT21
07-06-2005, 05:34 PM
Dude, just go!

timvp
07-06-2005, 06:02 PM
Even worse, Kori and I were planning on being in Utah for the Spurs' summer league on the date I have to report. Will they excuse me if I show them proof of travel plans? If not, what is the worst they can do if I don't go?

Thanks.

samikeyp
07-06-2005, 06:03 PM
I think if you have confirmed plans to leave town...you can be excused.

samikeyp
07-06-2005, 06:04 PM
I was wrong...this is from the Bexar County Web Site...

Statutory Exemptions
(Ch. 480, Sec 62.106 Government Code)

A person qualified to server as a petit juror may establish an exemption from jury service if that person:

is over 70 years of age ;
has legal custody of a child or children younger than 10 years of age and serving on the jury requires leaving the child or children without adequate supervision ;
is a student of a public or private secondary school (must provide proof) ;
is a person enrolled and in actual attendance at an institution of higher education (must provide proof) ;
is an officer or an employee of the senate, the house of representatives, or any department in the legislative branch of the state government (statement must be notarized); or
is the primary caretaker of a person who is an invalid, unable to care for himself (not employed outside of the home).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

spurschick
07-06-2005, 06:05 PM
Even worse, Kori and I were planning on being in Utah for the Spurs' summer league on the date I have to report. Will they excuse me if I show them proof of travel plans? If not, what is the worst they can do if I don't go?

Thanks.

Have you been called before? I think you're allowed to be excused once or twice, but you will eventually have to serve.

MannyIsGod
07-06-2005, 06:06 PM
You can reschedule. Tell them you are going out of town and they should put you back into the pool. You'll be called again very shortly though.

Flea
07-06-2005, 06:07 PM
Want to borrow a kid?

I have 3 that fit the under 10 rule.

Bandit2981
07-06-2005, 06:07 PM
i dont think you can offer any excuses for not showing up, or you can land in jail. you can tell them you are racist, like my friends dad does and they let you go right away. however, sometimes you get picked for an interesting trial, my last one was this lady who said the CIA was following her while shopping at north star mall and tapping her phone lines :)

Samurai Jane
07-06-2005, 06:09 PM
Ah, the benefits of still being a student...

My hubby told them he believed in the maximum penalty for all cases, no exceptions.. he was out pretty quick. :)

blaze89
07-06-2005, 06:12 PM
You are missing the thrill of telling someone "Guilty!"

I had jury duty, in 2001 and got picked for a Drunk Driving case. There were only six of us and we had video of the guy drunk. A defense the lawyer used was, since the guy had a big gut, he wasn't able to walk straight.

BadlyDrawnBoy
07-06-2005, 06:13 PM
I had jury duty once. I got there and had to stay in that fucking sitting room from 9 in the morning to 5 in the afternoon, sans two or three times they let us go to eat.

God... it was the most boring day of my life.

Taco
07-06-2005, 06:23 PM
Jury duty.

BTW they don't just go by Registered Voters they also go by Texas Drivers License records

And just think, you'll be up $5 per day!

$6.00 a day I went last monday and got picked!!!

DUI Case.
The trial started that afternoon and wrapped up the next day.

Mr. Ash
07-06-2005, 06:35 PM
You can reschedule. Tell them you are going out of town and they should put you back into the pool. You'll be called again very shortly though.

They're actually very accomodating. The call-back time is pretty random, though. I was excused in 1993, called again and excused later that year, and then not called again until 2005.

rl64tx
07-06-2005, 06:57 PM
Yes they will reschedule you approx. one month later
But look at the bright side your doing your civic duty!!!
Take a good book and just enjoy the day, you can really meet some interesting people sometimes... I've had it 3 times here in Bexar county and twice I was let go by noon!!! And my employer pays (fed) full days pay :smokin

Shelly
07-06-2005, 07:07 PM
My husband got called for a drunk driving case. I can't remember exactly what they asked him but I think it had to do something with him being objective or something like that. My husband said something to the effect that the guy looked like a drunk and was excused. :lol

mouse
07-06-2005, 08:41 PM
Give me your Liscence and I will report for you.

JoeChalupa
07-06-2005, 08:57 PM
I'm not sure if I'd show up or not....the jury is still out on that one.

http://www.cdbaby.com/covers/k/e/keatons_small.jpg

mouse
07-06-2005, 09:40 PM
http://www.boomspeed.com/woaimouse/runawayposter.jpg

Shelly
07-06-2005, 10:08 PM
http://www.boomspeed.com/woaimouse/runawayposter.jpg

:rollin

That may be your best photoshop yet!

Useruser666
07-06-2005, 10:13 PM
I was on a three day petty theft case. We had taped phone calls, signed documents, witnesses, and the whole nine yards. It was fun since I got my 6 bucks a day and got payed at work.

Jimcs50
07-06-2005, 10:33 PM
Jury duty.

They do not get you from registered voter list. They stopped doing that years ago.

It is from drivers license pool.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-06-2005, 10:54 PM
Is it true you can tell them you are racist or homophobe or something like that and they wont select you??

baseline bum
07-06-2005, 11:25 PM
Just tell them you hate mezkins and honkeys and you'll see them fry for making you miss Springer.

Spursy
07-06-2005, 11:31 PM
Is it true you can tell them you are racist or homophobe or something like that and they wont select you??

It is true. When I was asked if enything might alter my judgment , I said I had a big problem with drunk drivers and that thier was no excuse they could give me to convince me that this guys case was "special". They said O.K. have a nice day and thanks for coming . I was out by noon.

AlamoSpursFan
07-07-2005, 12:03 AM
It is also true that if you are obviously being ridiculous on purpose to avoid serving, the judge can find you in contempt of court. My cousin was threatened with this when he tried the George Carlin "I'd be great on a jury because I can spot a guilty person <snap> just like that!" bit. So be careful with the witty stuff.

word
07-07-2005, 12:39 AM
Before I opened it I knew what it was about.

Use Larry Davids approach from the best 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' ever, the one where he picked up the hooker to drive in the diamond lane...

Anyway, terrible thing to realize a person is being judged by 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty. That entire process is so corrupted. They ask you anything and everything to see if you're 'qualified'. They should grab 12 people, sit their asses down in the jury box, determine if they are legally registered to vote and then START THE FRIGGIN TRIAL.

I don't believe in the death penalty. Yeah, so what. I dont' like men, yeah..so what. I don't like brown people. Yeah, so what. I was molested as a child. Yeah, good for you, sit your ass down and enjoy your time on jury duty, thank you very much.

mouse
07-07-2005, 01:19 AM
Rack !

timvp
07-18-2005, 03:01 AM
I'll be waking up in three hours for jury duty. I'm going to try every excuse in the book to get out of it. Hopefully I am successful and out of there by noon.

Nobody wants me on a jury. I'll just be pissed off the whole time and not paying attention. Usually I wouldn't mind too much, but being my own boss also means I have to be working all day. I'm not going to lose $$$ to serve on jury duty. There are plenty of people out there who want to serve because they got paid leave and to them it's like a mini-vacation. That ain't me, tho.

[/RANT]

:smokin

Sense
07-18-2005, 03:20 AM
Hmm... comparing that to going to Utah, wow that's gotta suck..

I'll do alot to watch any type of basketball when the season's over...

I'm downloading some spur action... it's gonna hit me soon.

angel_luv
07-18-2005, 03:40 AM
Poor L.J. Fingers crossed that you aren't picked.

angel_luv
07-18-2005, 03:42 AM
P.S. Let me know when I can uncross them. Feels freaky to type this way = )

Sense
07-18-2005, 04:05 AM
Poor L.J. Fingers crossed that you aren't picked.

What do you mean? he's already going.... right?

Or am I wrong?

HB22inSA
07-18-2005, 04:18 AM
I'm not registered to vote and I've been picked twice in 8 months.

ZStomp
07-18-2005, 05:46 AM
What do you mean? he's already going.... right?

Or am I wrong?

He's going because he's in a pool of potential jurors but he can be excused sometime during the day and not have served on a jury.

It happens.....:)

I'll see you there LJ!!

Kori Ellis
07-18-2005, 06:16 AM
They do not get you from registered voter list. They stopped doing that years ago.

It is from drivers license pool.

Actually according to Bexar County, it's both ..

Bexar County summons jurors from the county's registered voters records and the Texas Department of Public Safety's (DPS) list of people with a driver's license and Texas identification cards. The office of the Texas Secretary of State merges the records and purges convicted felons from the list. Then the county has a computer program randomly select potential jurors from those records.

timvp
07-18-2005, 06:40 AM
I'm off. I better be back by noon.

Believe.

angel_luv
07-18-2005, 09:41 AM
Kori said you are on your way back! Great news! My circulation is killing me! = )

Seiously, yea you!

Clandestino
07-18-2005, 09:49 AM
i have jury duty next week...i'll get booted off i'm sure, but i wouldn't mind sitting on one..

Clandestino at Jury duty: Death Penalty for him!
Other Jurors: What? This is about unpaid child support!
Clandestino: Uh, umm, ok, life in prison!

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-18-2005, 09:54 AM
i have jury duty next week...i'll get booted off i'm sure, but i wouldn't mind sitting on one..

Clandestino at Jury duty: Death Penalty for him!
Other Jurors: What? This is about unpaid child support!
Clandestino: Uh, umm, ok, life in prison!

There's always Gitmo.

SpursWoman
11-29-2005, 06:51 PM
Shit!

I have to report December 14th. :flipoff :lmao

Oh, Gee!!
11-29-2005, 07:12 PM
I've been called three times and never had to serve. I always try to get on the jury but I'm never picked. I probably come across as too eager.

Shelly
11-29-2005, 07:39 PM
Shit!

I have to report December 14th. :flipoff :lmao

Dude, you've got kids under 10...check the box!

SpursWoman
11-29-2005, 08:12 PM
I got called about 3 years ago and picked to be on the jury (I actually wanted to :lol ) ... but the defendant chickened out and changed his plea to guilty before it went to trial...it was a murder charge.

:fro

NZHayden
11-29-2005, 08:12 PM
i got out of serving my jury duty, the defence lawyer works for my fathers work, infact i think my dad hired him