PDA

View Full Version : Recs for good restaurants in San Antonio?

austinfan
07-06-2005, 05:12 PM
I live in Austin, but I've been traveling to South Texas a lot lately to visit my grandfather, who recently had a stroke. It always seems like it's dinnertime when we drive back through San Antonio, and I'd like to have a list of good restaurants handy that we could stop and eat at. Recently we ate at El Mirador in the King William district (the homes in the neighborhood are gorgeous!), but I was wondering if you could recommend any others that are easy to get to from IH-37 or IH-35? It doesn't have to be just Mexican food. Thanks in advance!

Jimcs50
07-06-2005, 05:25 PM
If you make it to New Braunfels(just 30 mins further), there are some that are right off of I35 that are good, that way you do not have to hassle with the traffic off the interstate in SA...that is if you are just passing through and not wanting to do anything other than grab a quick bite.

CosmicCowboy
07-06-2005, 05:34 PM
damn...holding it to 35 or 37 makes it tough...

hmmm....

Louie LeDeaux's in the Forum shopping center (outside 410 off of 35) is pretty good cajun seafood...

most of the other stuff right on the freeway is either chain stuff or sucks.

SequSpur
07-06-2005, 05:56 PM
Taco Cabana

CosmicCowboy
07-06-2005, 05:58 PM
Taco Cabana

damn Sequ...what have you got against the guy? TacoC SUCKS!

Samr
07-06-2005, 06:14 PM
Longhorn Cafe. Get their angus burger.

CosmicCowboy
07-06-2005, 06:17 PM
Longhorn Cafe. Get their angus burger.

Unfortunately neither one is within 20 miles of 35 or 37...and I highly reccomend the longhorn steak...two huge patties stuffed with jalapenos and cheese and topped with mounds of grilled onions...get it extra hot to help break down the cholestorol...:lol

IX_Equilibrium
07-06-2005, 06:20 PM
Italian
Piatti
Paesano's
Bambino Huey Cafe
Sorrento's
Reggiano's

Samr
07-06-2005, 06:28 PM
Joesphine Street (downtown)

It's a famous little restaurant, and has been there since forever, as is evidenced by the tree growing directly through the center. Their t-bone steaks are the best in town.

austinfan
07-06-2005, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the suggestions (minus the Taco Cabana--we have those in Austin and I'd only eat there if every thing else was closed and I had a sudden blood sugar plunge and even then I'd think twice :)). The places don't have to be right off 35--I just didn't want to go to a place that was way out of the way. But if they have incredibly good, out-of-this-world food, then we're willing to make a detour.

ObiwanGinobili
07-06-2005, 06:42 PM
i can't really redcomend anythign near i-35 or 1-37 since i live on the NNW side of town....

but i can recommend some places that are central, norht central, west, north west or north north west.

rl64tx
07-06-2005, 06:50 PM
Janitzio's Mex Rest.
Corner of Austin Highway and Walzem :smokin

spurschick
07-06-2005, 06:59 PM
Carabba's
Johnny Carinno's
Aldino's

MsMcGillyCutty
07-06-2005, 07:04 PM
I love Johnny Carrino's.

SequSpur
07-06-2005, 07:07 PM
Janitzio's Mex Rest.
Corner of Austin Highway and Walzem :smokin

:lol :lol

Janitzio's blows.

rl64tx
07-06-2005, 07:13 PM
:lol :lol

Janitzio's blows.

Apparently so does your digestive system!!! :smokin

SequSpur
07-06-2005, 07:15 PM
Dude, Janitzios is a good lunch place, but dinner?

No way.

GoldToe
07-06-2005, 07:16 PM
Apparently so does your digestive system!!! :smokin

^^RACK 'IM!!^^ :lol

rl64tx
07-06-2005, 07:20 PM
Dude, Janitzios is a good lunch place, but dinner?

No way.
Why not dinner?? Unless you just have to have candles and all that bullshit ambience!!! Nothin like a good dinner from a fine "greasy spoon restaurant"!! :smokin

SequSpur
07-06-2005, 07:28 PM
Why not dinner?? Unless you just have to have candles and all that bullshit ambience!!! Nothin like a good dinner from a fine "greasy spoon restaurant"!! :smokin

Its just like all the other corner mexican restaurants. Great for breakfast and lunch, but dinner?

Maybe that's just me...

mookie2001
07-06-2005, 08:35 PM
ehhh...
yalls restaurants blow

Caparelli's
Tomitillos
Tink a Taco

thats some good vittles

SpursWoman
07-06-2005, 08:41 PM
If you make it to New Braunfels(just 30 mins further), there are some that are right off of I35 that are good, that way you do not have to hassle with the traffic off the interstate in SA...that is if you are just passing through and not wanting to do anything other than grab a quick bite.

When's the last time you were in New Braunfels? It's a construction MESS on 35... :lol

SpursWoman
07-06-2005, 08:42 PM
Louie LeDeaux's in the Forum shopping center (outside 410 off of 35) is pretty good cajun seafood...

User took me there....it was awesome! I'd highly recommend it. And if you do go, you have to get the dirty rice....oh, man...it's heaven. :)

SpursWoman
07-06-2005, 08:44 PM

It's a famous little restaurant, and has been there since forever, as is evidenced by the tree growing directly through the center. Their t-bone steaks are the best in town.

Did you know that's owned by the same people that own The Gristmill & Gruenehall in Gruene? My mom used to take us there when we were little...

:)

CalsonicKansei
07-06-2005, 09:58 PM
Wasint tink a taco on that News 4 Kitchen Cops like 5 times? Any ways heres my list next time you spend so time here.

Mexican Food

Pico de Gallo
Mi Tierra
Margarita's
Don Pedro
fuckin', Karams

Other Foods
Chester's Hamburgers
Barnacle Bills
and these two you HAVE to check out!
Golden Wok
And mutha fuckin' Ding How.

KEDA
07-06-2005, 10:34 PM
not impressed with Karams

but for mexican food try these

La Hacienda off of Redland
La Posada Del Rey one in Lincoln Heights and on in Brook Hollow
Blanco Cafe (lunchtime) off of Blanco and Oblate

Itialian

Aldino Blanco and 1604 (across the parking lot from me!)
Bambino Huey West Ave and Embassy Row
Reggianos Stone Oak Pkwy and 1604

Old School Chic
07-06-2005, 10:52 PM
Bambino Huey West Ave and Embassy Row

That place sux!

timvp
07-06-2005, 10:59 PM
I've never been there but Bambino Huey at Boccone's is the best dessert ever. Kori's never heard of it and it's hard to describe it to her. I can't put my finger on what it's made out of ... other than a lot of sugar :)

Help.

KEDA
07-06-2005, 11:01 PM
well, lets have a Bambino Huey GTG and she can find out, Spurschick is buying!!!

Old School Chic
07-06-2005, 11:02 PM
I've never been there but Bambino Huey at Boccone's is the best dessert ever. Kori's never heard of it and it's hard to describe it to her. I can't put my finger on what it's made out of ... other than a lot of sugar :)

Help.

The dessert Is about the only thing I like from there...
Your right, It Is very sweet. (Talk about a sugar rush)

spurschick
07-06-2005, 11:05 PM
well, lets have a Bambino Huey GTG and she can find out, Spurschick is buying!!!

Why am I buying?!!!

CosmicCowboy
07-07-2005, 08:01 AM

Josephine Street is pretty good...Did you guys know that you can go there for dinner before the Spurs games and then ride the JS party bus to the SBC for the game and not have to deal with parking?

oh yeah...that tree didn't really grow there...it's just decoration...if you look closely where it meets the floor you can see it...

Mr Dio
07-07-2005, 08:05 AM
Hey, try something just a little diff.

Try Chris Madrid's if you're not into the dress up mind your manners kinda place.
Thick homemade patties w/tons of Cheddar cheese.

DrRich
07-07-2005, 09:11 AM
Rosario's on S. Alamo and Acenar on the riverwalk on Houston St.

atlfan25
07-07-2005, 09:46 AM
Chester's.

KEDA
07-07-2005, 10:11 AM
Why am I buying?!!!

I dunno, sounded good to me!

davi78239
07-07-2005, 12:06 PM
You being from Austin makes me envious because you guys have Cheddars over there. Man, we need to get some of those here in San Antonio!!!

spurschick
07-07-2005, 12:11 PM
I'm glad we got some Chipotles here in SA. Not a restaurant, per se, but a good fast food alternative.

MiNuS
07-07-2005, 12:35 PM
Wasint tink a taco on that News 4 Kitchen Cops like 5 times? Any ways heres my list next time you spend so time here.

Mexican Food

Pico de Gallo?
Mi Tierra
Margarita's
Don Pedro
fuckin', Karams

Other Foods
Chester's Hamburgers
Barnacle Bills
and these two you HAVE to check out!
Golden Wok
And mutha fuckin' Ding How.

I am very dissapointed about Pico de Gallo! Dirty drunk men and flys all over the place! $40! Yeah it was Father's day but the service sucked!
For that money go to Carino's, Maccarroni Grill, and don't try any of the Mexican EXPERIMENTS! Yes, I am Mexican!

MiNuS
07-07-2005, 12:39 PM
Rosario's on S. Alamo and Acenar on the riverwalk on Houston St.

NO NOT GOOD!!!!! I am not saying its not food but PLEASE when I ask for guacamole I mean smashed AVOCADO and not some powdered green stuff!
I took my inlaws there once and boy we were all VERY dissapointed with the
proccessed food.

MiNuS
07-07-2005, 12:42 PM
I'm glad we got some Chipotles here in SA. Not a restaurant, per se, but a good fast food alternative.
I have been to the one on Quarry Square and YES I agree with you that its not a restaurant,per se. It is more in line with Taco Bell as far as quality in food but a few notches better. Take a big appetite or share your food there.

jcrod
07-07-2005, 02:06 PM

:vomit

Had that when i lived in Frisco, no thanks. Same for Tinks a Taco and a couple of more ya'll are mentioning in here.

spurschick
07-07-2005, 03:35 PM

Well, if I'm buying, then it's going to be Creme Brulee. I could bathe in the stuff. That and Tomato Basil soup from Joseph's Bakery.

KEDA
07-07-2005, 04:23 PM
Well, if I'm buying, then it's going to be Creme Brulee. I could bathe in the stuff. That and Tomato Basil soup from Joseph's Bakery.

Aldino has a good one, I get off at 9, meet me there!

CalsonicKansei
07-07-2005, 04:40 PM
Yea Karams is pretty expensive.