PDA

View Full Version : Injuries are the Spurs' bugaboo

racm
03-19-2013, 01:53 AM
I think that the Spurs' biggest problem is that while their top 6 players are all very good this season (Starting 5 + Manu), they haven't played together for a long time (IIRC they haven't reached the 500 minute cutoff).

Duncan has missed time. Parker is currently on the inactive list. Ginobili has been playing lately but missed some time. There was a stretch when Leonard was out and even now Pop errs on the side of caution with him. Even Green has missed a couple of games.

So while the team can win while missing their top players in the short term, I think it's bound to be exposed long-term. Without everyone healthy, Pop's rotations get messed up and this is more apparent on defense: sometimes the players overhelp because they aren't that confident when their man blows by them.

If this team could stay on the court together longer they will go far. :toast

Chris16
03-19-2013, 01:55 AM
The only teams that have been healthy all season so far are OKC and the Heat.

:rolleyes

racm
03-19-2013, 01:58 AM
The only teams that have been healthy all season so far are OKC and the Heat.

:rolleyes

The East has had injuries to nearly every team of importance.

Indiana - Granger has barely played
Chicago - Rose has yet to return and half their rotation is out
New York - I think no one on that roster has seen action every game
Brooklyn - started slipping when Lopez was out for a while, Williams has been playing hurt
Atlanta - Lou Williams out for season
Boston - Rondo/Sullinger out for season, KG was out for the Heat game
Philadelphia - Bynum out for season, never played
Washington - I think they reach the playoffs if Wall was healthy to start the season

Mal
03-19-2013, 04:18 AM
They all played long enough. Of course big 3 remebers dinosaurs, but Splitter, Leonard, Green are here more than a year. Jax is vet, he could adapt + he`ll played with those guys before. Diaw also isnt new to this team, plus he played NT with Parker, main guy in Spurs offense. They manage to understand each other :)

milkyway21
03-19-2013, 06:26 AM
alleluiah! Splitter has 67-game-perfect attendance :angel

therealtruth
03-19-2013, 07:53 AM
alleluiah! Splitter has 67-game-perfect attendance :angel

And people used to argue that Splitter wasn't durable enough.

Brazil
03-19-2013, 07:56 AM
:lol Splitter injury prone

Seventyniner
03-19-2013, 08:22 AM
I think that the Spurs' biggest problem is that while their top 6 players are all very good this season (Starting 5 + Manu), they haven't played together for a long time (IIRC they haven't reached the 500 minute cutoff).

Duncan has missed time. Parker is currently on the inactive list. Ginobili has been playing lately but missed some time. There was a stretch when Leonard was out and even now Pop errs on the side of caution with him. Even Green has missed a couple of games.

So while the team can win while missing their top players in the short term, I think it's bound to be exposed long-term. Without everyone healthy, Pop's rotations get messed up and this is more apparent on defense: sometimes the players overhelp because they aren't that confident when their man blows by them.

If this team could stay on the court together longer they will go far. :toast

Of course that group hasn't played together, you can only have 5 on the court at a time. :downspin:

Yours is a good point, though. The problem is that the Spurs need to have everyone healthy not only throughout the playoffs, but for at least a few weeks leading up to the playoffs to get in gear.

Cane
03-19-2013, 08:36 AM
Hopefully the Spurs haven't peaked yet and a healthy roster would go a long way. However I don't think Gary Neal will be in form so the backup PG spot is going to be even more inconsistent.

In addition to injuries the Spurs need to work on their in-between midrange game for when the 3-point shooters are run off the line, Kawhi's been great but Green has been disappointing a little bit

And people used to argue that Splitter wasn't durable enough.

Everyone except Bynum is durable in their contract year, especially if they're only playing less than 25 minutes per game ;)