PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Denver - Chicago: Noah's Play

Captivus
03-19-2013, 08:11 AM
So, what is this? Explain it to me like I's a 5 year old.
Thanks!
Minute 2:34.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zUdXTJ8eHw

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/6294/noahtip.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/571/noahtip.jpg/)

Thread
03-19-2013, 08:15 AM
Well, okay, come over here and sit next to Uncle Cubby...

Juggity
03-19-2013, 08:41 AM
Offensive interference. Offensive players can't touch the ball while it is in the cylinder extending upwards from the rim. King Beli's missed shot was over the rim and in the cylinder when Noah touched it, so the the tip in was not allowed.

Defensive players can't touch the ball in that stiuation either; that's goaltending.

Captivus
03-19-2013, 09:03 AM
Offensive interference. Offensive players can't touch the ball while it is in the cylinder extending upwards from the rim. King Beli's missed shot was over the rim and in the cylinder when Noah touched it, so the the tip in was not allowed.

Defensive players can't touch the ball in that stiuation either; that's goaltending.

So the call is the correct one? I thought the same thing, but many are saying the play was ok.

Juggity
03-19-2013, 09:08 AM
So the call is the correct one? I thought the same thing, but many are saying the play was ok.

Based on the picture you posted, the call was correct.
He's touching the ball, it's over the cylinder.

Red Hawk #21
03-19-2013, 09:24 AM
I honestly don't know what the bitching is about...It was clearly offensive interference. I actually think Belinelli's shot would've went in, but Noah being the overzealous person he is couldn't control himself and fucked up the play. It's amazing how everyone on the Bulls side tried to act like that wasn't Goaltending. However, they have a legitimate argument when it comes to two things : The Kosta Koufous tip (Offensive Interference that was not called) in and the fact that Noah's tip in was not initially called a goaltend, so they weren't supposed to give it a review. I think sometime last season, Matt Barnes tipped in a Pau Gasol 3 . It was clear that it was offensive interference (It was a dumbass play by Barnes tbqh), but just like Noah's tip in it wasn't called a goaltend so it wasn't reviewed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33E9u2k4yfY

Captivus
03-19-2013, 09:51 AM
I honestly don't know what the bitching is about...It was clearly offensive interference. I actually think Belinelli's shot would've went in, but Noah being the overzealous person he is couldn't control himself and fucked up the play. It's amazing how everyone on the Bulls side tried to act like that wasn't Goaltending. However, they have a legitimate argument when it comes to two things : The Kosta Koufous tip (Offensive Interference that was not called) in and the fact that Noah's tip in was not initially called a goaltend, so they weren't supposed to give it a review. I think sometime last season, Matt Barnes tipped in a Pau Gasol 3 . It was clear that it was offensive interference (It was a dumbass play by Barnes tbqh), but just like Noah's tip in it wasn't called a goaltend so it wasn't reviewed.

Something like that happend a few days ago, cant remember the game.
The refs reviewed a play cant be reviewed, the coach was going crazy.
It seems the refs do whatever they want. Im not saying this is a bad thing, in fact I would like more plays to be reviewed. The plays and moments that plays can be reviewed is badly ruled, IMO.

mrjap2x
03-19-2013, 10:51 AM
Teams should be given x number of times to challenge the refs call.

JamStone
03-19-2013, 10:57 AM
I think they treat overtime like the last two minutes of the game and pretty much anything and everything is reviewable.

As for the tip in, that's a tough one because I'm sure there have been hundreds of times where a fraction of the basketball was just barely over the cylinder and the bucket allowed or when a ball was just barely millimeters clear of the cylinder but because of the referee's angle it was called a goaltend. It's really, really tough because of different angles and because of the speed at which a ball will bounce around the rim. Plus you're dealing with an invisible cylinder that the officials are supposed to imagine 10+ feet in the air again with different angles depending where they are on the court. Some goaltend calls are probably more difficult than block/charge calls. I often felt like officials call goaltend when it's blatant, but if the ball is mostly out of the cylinder, they generally let it go. Noah's tip in was close enough where if they didn't review it, maybe they allow it.

Raven
03-19-2013, 11:07 AM
imho the rule is stupid, i like the fiba rules better at this tbh..

Jt.ONE
03-19-2013, 11:31 AM
i think a point was raised that beli's shot was clearly going to hit the rim but noah tipped it in prematurely. noah probably assumed it was gonna airball though

Captivus
03-19-2013, 12:53 PM
Teams should be given x number of times to challenge the refs call.
Like in tennis. As long as you are right, you can keep asking for reviews.