PDA

View Full Version : Prom Drama

mrsmaalox
03-19-2013, 12:30 PM
Okay I know this thread isn't for everyone, but anyone who has had experience getting ready for a high school prom (last year or 40 years ago ;)) please chime in, I'm interested in your stories. Here's what going on with my daughter's:

I've moved past the emotional shock of the $238 gown requiring $105 worth of alterations; we've gotten past the trauma of the bracelet with some "pinkish-red" stones instead of all dark red ones. :lol Yesterday and today have been consumed with the LIMO.

My daughter and her best friend will be attending the prom on Saturday together with their dates. Last Friday, best friend's mom calls me and says wouldn't it be nice for the girls to have a limo? I think it sure would, but it's a little late in the game to find one. So best friend's mom says since she is soooo busy and I am not, would I please look into it? Sure why not I say. I put in calls to about 10 companies and over the weekend get about 6 replies that are booked for that night. Yesterday morning a guy calls, says he has one limo left and can be there for our kids all evening for $450. I say let me call other mom and I'll call you back. I call her, tell her the price and say we have to move on this fast----if I book him without letting the girls' dates' parents know, you and I are going to have to be willing to absorb the cost if the others don't agree. She says she will call the dad of her girl's date and ask. Then she texts me and says that date's dad said it's fine, but that the boys should absorb the cost! Doesn't sound fair to me and I am ready to pay for my daughter's share (and her date if necessary). So then she tells me the dad wants to talk to me about it, so I called him and told him the details. BUT because I think it's bs for the boys to pay for it all I tell him we will split the cost 4 ways and he says that's fine, but that the other mother told him I had said the boys should pay and he already agreed to it!! WHAT?! That manipulative witch just wants a free limo for her princess! I told him nope and that I was only doing this cuz she suggested it. So I've texted her several times since yesterday telling her I will book the limo and we will split the cost 4 ways----NO response. I'm cancelling all limo plans and will drive the kids there myself :)

to21
03-19-2013, 12:36 PM
Put it this way: at you're high school prom did it really matter if you had all those things your daughter wants? You probably would've still had a great time right? I have a 7 year old daughter and we've already had the "Daddy ain't buying you shit till ur wedding" conversation.

mrsmaalox
03-19-2013, 12:45 PM
But that's just it, my daughter didn't ask for the limo....her best friend's mom did!

And her dad said the same thing about not buying her shit......when I complained about the cost of the gown his response was "She should have whatever dress she wants". :lol

Sportcamper
03-19-2013, 12:46 PM
Back in my day you were styling if you got to borrow Dads car for the night…I have paid for family members prom night & agreed to the limo for the safety issue…(Some kids always find a way to get booze to the event & get other kids drunk). To be honest I have never had a problem getting a parent to contribute once they think about the drinking & driving issue…

to21
03-19-2013, 12:49 PM
Yeah I'm sure I'll cave in to. I talk a good game but she get's whatever she wants also. Man, it was so easy for my Son, we rented a tux and pitched in for a limo ride.

bus driver
03-19-2013, 12:51 PM
$450 is cheap for a limo. a lady i work with said a limo for prom night costed her $600.....fuck that! we didnt have a limo for prom and i still got lucky

oh and i read it correctly this time (for mrsmaalox)

The Reckoning
03-19-2013, 01:13 PM
spoiled little princesses

mrsmaalox
03-19-2013, 01:20 PM
oh and i read it correctly this time (for mrsmaalox)

;)

spoiled little princesses

I totally agree. But I think if you want to spoil your princess you shouldn't expect someone else to foot the bill.

CosmicCowboy
03-19-2013, 01:34 PM
;)

I totally agree. But I think if you want to spoil your princess you shouldn't expect someone else to foot the bill.

Yep, sounds like Mom #2 tried to sleaze one by you.

Wild Cobra
03-19-2013, 02:01 PM
Shouldn't their dates be paying, or are they a couple?

FatBeaner
03-19-2013, 02:42 PM
your daughter pays her fair share when she puts out. that's the deal. capisce. it's prom for christ's sake.

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-19-2013, 03:36 PM
In the middle of the night paint anti-Semitic remarks all over her car. If she gets upset just say, "Oh, I thought you said they needed a ride to the POGROM! Silly me!"

ALVAREZ6
03-19-2013, 05:25 PM
yea that sounds retarded. if best friend's mom wanted a limo so bad I wouldn't have even looked into it for her. spoiled cunts.

JoeChalupa
03-19-2013, 05:29 PM
I think I spent like $40 on prom night and most was for bud.

TDMVPDPOY
03-19-2013, 07:27 PM
pics of daughter now

Latarian Milton
03-19-2013, 07:38 PM
i'd never sit in a car driven by a woman and the kids must have the same common view. several hundred dollars ain't too big a price and for security reasons alone, it's gonna be worth it tbh

CosmicCowboy
03-19-2013, 08:08 PM
i'd never sit in a car driven by a woman and the kids must have the same common view. several hundred dollars ain't too big a price and for security reasons alone, it's gonna be worth it tbh

Not to worry. She would never let your fucked up ass within 100 feet of her daughter, much less in the same car. I seriously hope you are just a troll and not a real person.

jeebus
03-19-2013, 08:08 PM
I think I spent like $40 on prom night and most was for bud.
same here, except less money. tbh, prom bullshit is a waste of time and pales in comparison to everything after highsch:lol:loll. if I had the Delorean, I'd travel back to younger me and advised him to hold onto his money.

there's my advice.

leemajors
03-19-2013, 08:20 PM
yeah, seemed you could always just skip the pictures and spending too much money and just go to the parties, which is where everyone went anyway.

CosmicCowboy
03-19-2013, 08:37 PM
Eh Prom was pretty cool. Only one I ever went to was my senior year. I hung as a friend in the smoking area with this girl that was freaking smoking hot that was like light years ahead of the high school guys and dating older guys with jobs and money. I was cool with that. She was part time bartending and had her own apartment and money. Parents were divorced and I guess just decided to give her money to get along until she was out of school and out on her own. Anyway, she got nominated for one of those stupid category awards...It wasn't most popular because she snubbed almost everyone but I think it was best dressed because she had cash and was upwardly mobile and dressed hot as shit. Her problem was that she was so hot and didn't socialize with most of the high school kids nobody would ask her to the prom so she asked me. I was like...oh fuck no...not prom! PLEASE ANYTHING BUT PROM!!..I have to rent a fucking TUX? Not PROM!....LOL. Strung that shit on for a week and she finally actually begged and I relented. Since I was already in for a freaking tux I sprung for a nice corsage and some good bud. Hit her apartment in my studly '68 galaxy, we toked down some good shit (and multiple times later) and did the whole prom thing start to finish. Got a mercy fuck out of the deal (at that time in my life I was seriously not on her level) and we actually ended up as FWB's for a year or so until I did the college gig and lost touch with her. I'm sure she is safely married to some high roller and living the good life because she was a USDA choice hottie.

ploto
03-19-2013, 08:40 PM
So I've texted her several times since yesterday telling her I will book the limo and we will split the cost 4 ways----NO response. I'm cancelling all limo plans and will drive the kids there myself :)

She wanted you to do the work and then to blame you so her spoiled-ass daughter could get a limo like she wanted and make the boys' families pay for it. Let her drive her own kid, and you and your daughter's date's parents worry about them.

marini martini
03-19-2013, 10:24 PM
I tend to agree with ploto. Why the hell do they have to double date with a limo. Fuck that noise, you can take your daughter, and her date's Dad can pick them up. Your daughter's friend's mom is trying to put the screws to you.

Back in my day some of us rebels in school decided to have a anti-prom at Sunken Gardens. We had a band, liquor and dope. It was fun as shit! :tu

DPG21920
03-19-2013, 10:31 PM
If my parents drove me to prom I'd rather not go tbh...don't they have cars?

Latarian Milton
03-19-2013, 10:37 PM
Not to worry. She would never let your fucked up ass within 100 feet of her daughter, much less in the same car. I seriously hope you are just a troll and not a real person.
to a woman, the brake and the throttle are basically the same thing just like a dick and a banana. it's not just a rare case that a woman mistakes the throttle as the brake and drives into a crowd killing & injuring a lot of people. when a woman sits in the driver's seat, she's not only putting her own life in danger but she's also posing a threat to the public. therefore i would stay at least 1,000 feet away from the car if i know it's driven by a woman tbh

CosmicCowboy
03-19-2013, 10:43 PM
to a woman, the brake and the throttle are basically the same thing just like a dick and a banana. it's not just a rare case that a woman mistakes the throttle as the brake and drives into a crowd killing & injuring a lot of people. when a woman sits in the driver's seat, she's not only putting her own life in danger but she's also posing a threat to the public. therefore i would stay at least 1,000 feet away from the car if i know it's driven by a woman tbh

OK, now that we have established that you have to be a troll I'm just curious if you have a "real" persona on here.

mrsmaalox
03-19-2013, 11:15 PM
your daughter pays her fair share when she puts out. that's the deal. capisce. it's prom for christ's sake.

D'oh!

You suck :depressed

mrsmaalox
03-19-2013, 11:19 PM

:lol

Sit down, buckle up, shut up and hold on!

ploto
03-19-2013, 11:26 PM
If my parents drove me to prom I'd rather not go tbh...don't they have cars?

Depends how old they are and how long they have had a license as to the limit of passengers in the car or being allowed to drive after midnight.

Flawless
03-19-2013, 11:33 PM
Damn, I never went to any of my high school proms (let alone any of the dances) but I never realized how expensive they tend to get. :wow

Wild Cobra
03-20-2013, 02:28 AM
pics of daughter now
I think Mrs. Maalox is too smart to let you have a pic of her daughter...

Sportcamper
03-20-2013, 06:12 AM
D'oh!

You suck :depressed

Never bring a tender moment to the club…:toast

Frank Dux
03-20-2013, 10:46 AM
You're not only paying for the limo but you're also doing all the coordinating? Damn. Your kid has it good.

mrsmaalox
03-20-2013, 11:00 AM
You're not only paying for the limo but you're also doing all the coordinating? Damn. Your kid has it good.

Nope, not gonna be any limo----I made the executive decision for the group. That was the only coordinating I was doing, just being nice.

Yes my kid has it real good----I'm her mama! ;)

Leetonidas
03-20-2013, 11:28 AM
prom limo is a scam, your little ones will only be in for like 30 minutes max, is it worth that much cash?

JudynTX
03-20-2013, 12:27 PM
Oh how I remember my Prom well......very well. :D

to21
03-20-2013, 12:49 PM
Oh how I remember my Prom well......very well. :DWent straight to the hotel, balcony, backseat, outdoor sex?

JudynTX
03-20-2013, 12:58 PM
Went straight to the hotel, balcony, backseat, outdoor sex?

:lmao I wasn't that experienced yet.

I. Hustle
03-20-2013, 01:02 PM
So, did you talk to that mom yet?

Friendly advice, let your daughter have a couple of those hotdogs with the mounds of onions that she likes right before she goes.

JudynTX
03-20-2013, 01:06 PM
What's her curfew? Mine was 3:00 a.m...............I might have been a little late.

I. Hustle
03-20-2013, 01:20 PM
3 A.M.!!! Damn! Am I supposed to allow that when the time comes?

mrsmaalox
03-20-2013, 05:22 PM
So, did you talk to that mom yet?

Friendly advice, let your daughter have a couple of those hotdogs with the mounds of onions that she likes right before she goes.

No she has not called me or texted me. And we're kind of friends, we've gone out to lunch and happy hour before, even to parties at each others houses, so texting each other is not unusual. She's just pissed that her little plan didn't work out I guess!

LOL Use the onion hotdogs as date repellant? I'm gonna arrange it! Damn you're never gonna let her live those hot dogs down, are you? :lmao

mrsmaalox
03-20-2013, 05:26 PM
The prom is from 8-12 downtown at the convention center, so I guess I'll give her an hour to get home. Her usual curfew is 11pm if she's out on a date or somewhere, but I let her stay later if she's just hanging out a one of her girlfriends' houses.

Trill Clinton
03-20-2013, 05:34 PM
damn, maalox. you don't look a day over 30 and you got a kid going to prom??? you have some good genes, girl.

clambake
03-20-2013, 07:07 PM
is the dance outside the city, or did the preacher agree to let it be in the city limits?

spursncowboys
03-20-2013, 07:42 PM
same here, except less money. tbh, prom bullshit is a waste of time and pales in comparison to everything after highsch:lol:loll. if I had the Delorean, I'd travel back to younger me and advised him to hold onto his money.

there's my advice.
http://images4.fanpop.com/image/polls/818000/818530_1314642671318_full.png

mrsmaalox
03-20-2013, 09:21 PM
damn, maalox. you don't look a day over 30 and you got a kid going to prom??? you have some good genes, girl.

Aw thanks, but actually I had her when I was 10! :toast :lol

mouse
03-21-2013, 03:32 AM
pics of daughter now

Watch your comments or red zero will add you to his pedophile list of posters.

As far as the prom goes. A friend of mine wrote a script to a film that may help you forget your prom worries.

s5LYujVoBDs

I. Hustle
03-21-2013, 07:46 AM
LOL Use the onion hotdogs as date repellant? I'm gonna arrange it! Damn you're never gonna let her live those hot dogs down, are you? :lmao

Hell no, She had that shit piled to the ceiling. All I remember thinking is "Who the hell likes onions that much?!"

xellos88330
03-21-2013, 01:43 PM
I actually think that the limo is the responsibility of the boys. The girls already have to pay the equivalent of a small country for their gowns, makeup, shoes, hairstyle, and all the while a guy gets away with a simple rental tux.

I am sure that every girl wants their prom to be special and memorable, but to make it truly special, the idea of a limo should have been the boys idea. Perhaps I am too old fashioned?

DisAsTerBot
03-21-2013, 01:51 PM
I actually think that the limo is the responsibility of the boys. The girls already have to pay the equivalent of a small country for their gowns, makeup, shoes, hairstyle, and all the while a guy gets away with a simple rental tux.

lol have to

mrsmaalox
03-22-2013, 10:42 AM

I am sure that every girl wants their prom to be special and memorable, but to make it truly special, the idea of a limo should have been the boys idea. Perhaps I am too old fashioned?

I think if it had been the boys' idea and they paid for it, it would be fine. But it was the girl's mom's idea----she wanted me to do the dirty work AND have the boys foot the bill. I just don't think that's fair.

This prom bs is ridiculously expensive all the way around. Girls do the gown, shoes, accessories, hair, nails, and that pocket flower thing for the guy; so far good ol' dad is in for about $500. The guys pay for the prom tickets ($100/couple), fancy dinner, corsage, and their clothes. I don't know how much a tux rental is, because apparently they don't do tuxes at prom much anymore, but for my son's prom we sprung for a new suit which was close to $600. The good thing is that he's been able to use that suit 2 more times since the prom, where as my daughter's $300 gown is one time use only!

baseline bum
03-22-2013, 01:26 PM
What the fuck is the point of the expensive gown when it's going to get all wrinkled and stained anyways in the back seat?

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-22-2013, 01:47 PM
I think if it had been the boys' idea and they paid for it, it would be fine. But it was the girl's mom's idea----she wanted me to do the dirty work AND have the boys foot the bill. I just don't think that's fair.

This prom bs is ridiculously expensive all the way around. Girls do the gown, shoes, accessories, hair, nails, and that pocket flower thing for the guy; so far good ol' dad is in for about $500. The guys pay for the prom tickets ($100/couple), fancy dinner, corsage, and their clothes. I don't know how much a tux rental is, because apparently they don't do tuxes at prom much anymore, but for my son's prom we sprung for a new suit which was close to $600. The good thing is that he's been able to use that suit 2 more times since the prom, where as my daughter's $300 gown is one time use only!

Fark. Well that settles it. As soon as my daughter can pay attention to something for more than 10 seconds at a time we're going to watch Carrie about 40 times or so until any desire to ever attend a prom is completley out of her system.

CuckingFunt
03-22-2013, 01:56 PM
Fark. Well that settles it. As soon as my daughter can pay attention to something for more than 10 seconds at a time we're going to watch Carrie about 40 times or so until any desire to ever attend a prom is completley out of her system.

May not even take that much, really. I knew for certain as early as about the middle of my junior year that I had no interest in going. I got endless shit from my friends, and even had a few of my high school besties get pissed off at me, but I just wasn't feeling it at all. Went on a low key dinner/movie date that night instead and had a great time. The next day, when talking with all the friends who'd given me shit, the consensus was that the prom sucked ass and was nowhere near worth the time, energy, and expense that had gone into it.

jeebus
03-22-2013, 02:08 PM
What the fuck is the point of the expensive gown when it's going to get all wrinkled and stained anyways in the back seat?
it's a rite of passage for girls in the maalox familia before they join spurstalk.

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-22-2013, 02:11 PM
May not even take that much, really. I knew for certain as early as about the middle of my junior year that I had no interest in going. I got endless shit from my friends, and even had a few of my high school besties get pissed off at me, but I just wasn't feeling it at all. Went on a low key dinner/movie date that night instead and had a great time. The next day, when talking with all the friends who'd given me shit, the consensus was that the prom sucked ass and was nowhere near worth the time, energy, and expense that had gone into it.

Well that's encouraging. I guess I can save some hours and we'll just watch this part over and over 40 times, because if there's a better use of the internet than watching John Travolta die I haven't found it.

jokDwje6OfQ

baseline bum
03-22-2013, 02:35 PM
Well that's encouraging. I guess I can save some hours and we'll just watch this part over and over 40 times, because if there's a better use of the internet than watching John Travolta die I haven't found it.

Oh yeah.

qzPZOh2IfEc

ididnotnothat
03-22-2013, 03:21 PM

There are several "Prom Dress" groups that collect used prom dresses for the less fortunate. She can always donate her dress and get thousands of dollars worth of thanks.

mrsmaalox
03-22-2013, 03:29 PM

Yup. I think I'll just be driving them myself :)

man on wire
03-22-2013, 03:36 PM
I'm glad my daughter didn't go to the prom.

mrsmaalox
03-22-2013, 03:37 PM
I went to the prom when I was a junior because I got asked by a senior. It was our first date so it could have sucked, but it was a lot of fun. Then when I was a senior there were just too many other things to do like getting into college and having a job.

Oh yea, and in my senior the band had a formal banquet so that was kinda like the band nerd prom.

I. Hustle
03-22-2013, 04:00 PM
I never went to prom. It wasn't that I was too cool or that I couldn't snag a date. I was just working and doing other stuff and completely forgot.

mrsmaalox
03-22-2013, 04:05 PM
I never went to prom. It wasn't that I was too cool or that I couldn't snag a date. I was just working and doing other stuff and completely forgot.

Yes, of course.

I. Hustle
03-22-2013, 04:31 PM
Yes, of course.

LOL if you must know, I married my "high school sweetheart" (we divorced after 4 years lol) so I already had a piece that I could have taken. I worked at the mall making serious cash (so I thought) and had responsibilities. I was a workaholic. I regret it now. I worked so much that I put away enough money to pay for the whole wedding, pay off my car and put a chunk of change down on a house (including extra for renovations). I was on it as a dumb kid.

JoeChalupa
03-22-2013, 05:07 PM
My oldest didn't go to any of the proms.

Kai
03-24-2013, 12:50 AM
the fuck are you assholes talking about "any" of the proms? There's only one. I remember we squeezed an extra couple into our group last minute and they didn't pay for the limo + made it extra cramped. Kinda sucked, but at least I got my date on my lap to give her a preview of what was to come ;)

baseline bum
03-24-2013, 12:59 AM
the fuck are you assholes talking about "any" of the proms? There's only one. I remember we squeezed an extra couple into our group last minute and they didn't pay for the limo + made it extra cramped. Kinda sucked, but at least I got my date on my lap to give her a preview of what was to come ;)

Did the tux rental shop charge extra for busting in your pants?

mrsmaalox
03-25-2013, 08:35 AM
My girl looked like a princess! And her prince looked great too, even with the nose ring lol :)

I. Hustle
03-25-2013, 10:36 AM
My girl looked like a princess! And her prince looked great too, even with the nose ring lol :)

Nose ring? Oh so he is the gay best friend huh?

mrsmaalox
03-25-2013, 10:56 AM
Nose ring? Oh so he is the gay best friend huh?

No, he's just very "metal"; really nice kid.

SpursWoman
03-25-2013, 09:41 PM
My daughter walked into work Friday night and written across their white board where their managers leave them notes was a message that they were not accepting day-off requests for 4/20 (:rolleyes) which is the day of her prom.

I couldn't get that lucky. :spin

Last year (Junior) we went all out, this year (Senior) she and bunch of her girlfriends were planning on thrift shop dress shopping and crashing it.

I went to mine long enough to take the picture to prove to my mother that I went.

HarlemHeat37
03-25-2013, 10:28 PM
I didn't go to my own prom(I got kicked out of HS in my senior year:lol I had to switch schools for my last remaining credits, so it felt pointless to go to the new school's prom), but two years later, my girlfriend had her prom and I went with her..

I paid $450, unfortunately:lol..pitching on the limo with another couple, after-party tickets and then a hotel room..that's a substantial amount of money for a 19-year old, tbh:lol..some White Knight shit:(..

mrsmaalox
03-29-2013, 12:58 PM
Sooo....after a month of drama and a few hundred dollars....less than a week after the prom BOTH couples involved here have broken up :lmao

jeebus
03-29-2013, 01:00 PM
Sooo....after a month of drama and a few hundred dollars....less than a week after the prom BOTH couples involved here have broken up :lmao
well I don't know about everyone else but this is sh:wowcking

baseline bum
03-29-2013, 01:04 PM

In HS after you hit that shit once it's time to move on.

mrsmaalox
03-29-2013, 01:18 PM
well I don't know about everyone else but this is sh:wowcking

I still LOL every time I see that sig...

mrsmaalox
03-29-2013, 01:19 PM
In HS after you hit that shit once it's time to move on.

So that's just in high school, bb?

jeebus
03-29-2013, 01:33 PM
I still LOL every time I see that sig...
:toast

baseline bum
03-29-2013, 02:16 PM
So that's just in high school, bb?

Maybe just especially in highschool tbh

OmRD_fuTYaI

tlongII
03-29-2013, 02:38 PM
I never went to the prom. In fact I went only went on 1 date during the entire time I was in high school. I was just too shy.

exstatic
03-29-2013, 05:53 PM

The limo, tbh.

mrsmaalox
03-29-2013, 06:12 PM
The limo, tbh.

Yea, I'm glad I didn't pay for that! lol