PDA

View Full Version : The Nuggets and Grizzlies scare me more than the Thunder, tbh

SpurPadre
03-20-2013, 12:14 AM
Denver has a 13 game win streak going and have beaten tougher teams than the Heat (who have the luxury of playing in the Leastern Conference) while doing so, which makes their streak more impressive. Meanwhile, the Grizzlies are 16-6 since trading away Rudy Gay as we all know the Grizzlies have always been a better team without him. Each team has an uber-talented front court, each are good at rebounding (Denver ranks 2nd overall and Memphis is 10th) and each has depth at all positions. Other than those qualities, Denver is different in that they're an up tempo team that likes to get up and down the floor because of their freakish athleticism. Memphis, meanwhile, is a bruising team that can play a very efficient half-court game and plays hard-nosed defense. What we also know is that we've long been struggling against big and very athletic teams who rebound and I'm sure Denver knows that and can exploit those weaknesses better than the Thunder, in my opinion. The Grizzlies, on the other hand, know they can beat us in the playoffs without Gay and pose the same problems we faced when they took us out in the first round in '11. The Thunder are obviously a very good team but we match up well with them, especially since this time they don't have Harden. I'm not saying we can't beat either team in a 7 game series but they can definitely beat us just as well as the Thunder. Anyone agree?

RD2191
03-20-2013, 12:17 AM
two garbage teams. denver plays no defense. same style as last years run n gun spurs. wont amount to shit come playoff time

spurraider21
03-20-2013, 12:19 AM
I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorists, but OKC is the bigger threat because they get to the line way too much, deservedly or not. Although I'm not as worried as I was last year.

thunderup
03-20-2013, 12:22 AM
I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorists, but OKC is the bigger threat because they get to the line way too much, deservedly or not. Although I'm not as worried as I was last year.

You guys will handle us in six games regardless of the officiating. Without the beard to bail us out we aren't going anywhere this year.

Proxy
03-20-2013, 12:24 AM
considering OKC has Durant and a proven TP-defender in Thabo, I still see them as the biggest road block.

spurraider21
03-20-2013, 12:24 AM
You guys will handle us in six games regardless of the officiating. Without the beard to bail us out we aren't going anywhere this year.

Dirkbaka and Kendrick Dirkins tend to show up against the Spurs tbh

Richie
03-20-2013, 12:26 AM
The Thunder are still the biggest threat to the Spurs in the West, but the more I watch them the less scary they look.

For some weird reason, I just don't find Durant a scary prospect. Obviously he's the second best player in the league, but there's something about him that I feel the Spurs can contain as long as the refs let the Spurs play.

Now Harden on the other hand I still have nightmares about. When we played the Rockets earlier in the season I was worried any time he had the ball. He effortlessly glides in to the lane and either scores, gets fouled or both. Must be how other teams feel playing against Manu tbh.

DejuanorwhatDude
03-20-2013, 12:26 AM
If anybody Memphis. The only reason OKC lost tonight is because like they do with Miami they play right into the hands of their opponents. They let teams like Denver run on them, and when they try to run as much as they do they start making alot of mistakes. Denver won't be able to beat a team that is focused on the halfcourt sets and slowing down the game. Denver simply can't play like that.

Memphis on the other hand plays playoff basketball every night. For them, the game never changes. With them though, they simply won't have enough scoring to beat the Spurs. If it comes down to them getting out of a scoring hole they simply won't be able to do it. Their perimeter shooting is terrible.

OKC can beat the Spurs. They have the superstars and the bench to do so. Tonight is a speed bump for them; maybe even tomorrow. I think the Spurs have a much better chance this year but really OKC should be the favorites until the Spurs can prove otherwise.

racm
03-20-2013, 12:28 AM
OKC doesn't worry me these days as much as Denver.

Splitter has gone from "I can't shoot FTs so my offensive game is shot" to "I'm gonna post Ibaka up with impunity".
Leonard does a great job on Durant (he still shoots well, but Leonard rarely fouls and he generates a lot of turnovers)

Sefolosha can defend Parker but the Spurs close out with Ginobili as a tertiary scorer and secondary playmaker. Martin can't create much for others and best operates as a weak side scorer.

HI-FI
03-20-2013, 12:30 AM
good to see you not being a faggot for once.

I still think Thunder will get their usual 5 vs 8 treatment in the playoffs, so I still worry about that. But if all things are even, I think Harden's absence will be huge.

and tbh, I think Denver could be the toughest series.

Richie
03-20-2013, 12:32 AM
Perhaps it's because without Harden, the Thunder are even more of a jumpshooting team than they were last year? In the half court it seems like the Thunder almost exclusively shoot jumpers.

thunderup
03-20-2013, 12:33 AM
Dirkbaka and Kendrick Dirkins tend to show up against the Spurs tbh

Last year they stepped up because they had less pressure on them. The ball movement and fluidity on offense was a beautiful thing to watch with James Harden. Harden was the head of the snake last year in every way you can spin it. He's gone. We got a very inefficient approach of hero ball that will be our failure ultimately.

You guys just need your role players to step up and hit shots. Had you guys made some of those corner threes in games 3-6, the series would have gone seven games.

racm
03-20-2013, 12:36 AM
Last year they stepped up because they had less pressure on them. The ball movement and fluidity on offense was a beautiful thing to watch with James Harden. Harden was the head of the snake last year in every way you can spin it. He's gone. We got a very inefficient approach of hero ball that will be our failure ultimately.

You guys just need your role players to step up and hit shots. Had you guys made some of those corner threes in games 3-6, the series would have gone seven games.

You know the biggest part Parker brings to the Spurs offense? It's shots at the rim and corner 3s. Without him, the Spurs attempt more 3s above the break, and it shows - Leonard's 3P% has plummeted since Parker got hurt.

Those corner 3s dried out when Brooks put Sefolosha on Parker.

thunderup
03-20-2013, 12:37 AM
good to see you not being a faggot for once.

I still think Thunder will get their usual 5 vs 8 treatment in the playoffs, so I still worry about that. But if all things are even, I think Harden's absence will be huge.

and tbh, I think Denver could be the toughest series.

If we beat you all or Denver I can chalk that up as an accomplishment this season as expectations have steadily lowered the more apparent it became that we aren't the potent machine we were with James Harden.

I've been saying for months now that Denver is a scary team. Now that they've gotten on a groove with all those home games recently, they look very potent. I would not be the least bit surprised if Denver represents our conference against the cHeat.

thunderup
03-20-2013, 12:39 AM
You know the biggest part Parker brings to the Spurs offense? It's shots at the rim and corner 3s. Without him, the Spurs attempt more 3s above the break, and it shows - Leonard's 3P% has plummeted since Parker got hurt.

Those corner 3s dried out when Brooks put Sefolosha on Parker.

TBF, that Thabo on Parker adjustment was masterful. However, I remember the Spurs still being able to get into their sets despite the increase in difficulty in doing so with Thabo on Parker. Yall's Danny Green and Gary Neal ultimately shit the bed with their missed shots.

HarlemHeat37
03-20-2013, 12:40 AM
Denver is a regular season team, tbh..

Their half-court offense is mediocre, they can't shoot, their bigs are hustle guys that are exploitable on both ends, and they don't have a star player..

They are a team that lives and dies by the fast break..I would expect Pop to successfully strategize against a team with an abundance of flaws..

Memphis isn't a scary team..Z-Bo isn't as good as he was in 2011, they don't have any other consistent shot-creators, the Spurs are better than 2011 and they should have revenge on their minds, tbh..

OKC is still the roadblock..Durant + Westbrook + refs + Ibaka/Collison/Perkins automatic jump shots against the Spurs is still scary..

Brunodf
03-20-2013, 12:40 AM
No. But Nuggets/Grizzlies are very talented teams...

HarlemHeat37
03-20-2013, 12:43 AM
Miami's streak is easily more impressive, tbh..they beat all the best teams that Denver defeated, in addition to winning 10 more games..

Arc
03-20-2013, 12:44 AM
spurs, when healthy, are the best in the west, and quite honestly the only team that can beat the heat imo. but if the refs want okc in the finals, that's that.

harden > westbrick

i knew it the moment they got rid of him. i was like, "okc fucked up." that dude is for real. i want him on the spurs, thanks.

HI-FI
03-20-2013, 12:48 AM
If we beat you all or Denver I can chalk that up as an accomplishment this season as expectations have steadily lowered the more apparent it became that we aren't the potent machine we were with James Harden.

I've been saying for months now that Denver is a scary team. Now that they've gotten on a groove with all those home games recently, they look very potent. I would not be the least bit surprised if Denver represents our conference against the cHeat.
I have to admit, your "Not Worried Here" should be stickied for its unbridled cockiness and shittiness. least you are admitting that you were full of hot air.

as for Denver, I believe i said on here the last time they played the Thunder that they were a bad matchup for them, because they have the athleticism but better ball movement and smarter BBIQ (well not McGee). I respect the Nuggets but they're still an obstacle to overcome.

I don't hate the Heat, definitely not a fan either. They're basically a team of mercs so hard to respect them. What I do hate is that the West is about to become a blood bath but the Heat have an escalator ride to the Finals.

racm
03-20-2013, 12:51 AM
I have to admit, your "Not Worried Here" should be stickied for its unbridled cockiness and shittiness. least you are admitting that you were full of hot air.

as for Denver, I believe i said on here the last time they played the Thunder that they were a bad matchup for them, because they have the athleticism but better ball movement and smarter BBIQ (well not McGee). I respect the Nuggets but they're still an obstacle to overcome.

I don't hate the Heat, definitely not a fan either. They're basically a team of mercs so hard to respect them. What I do hate is that the West is about to become a blood bath but the Heat have an escalator ride to the Finals.

Tbh, the Finals could end up going two ways:

1. Miami realizes that they're up against a team that went through a tough playoff run and they lose
2. The Western champion is gassed that they end up bowing out in an anticlimactic Finals.

Richie
03-20-2013, 12:52 AM

So true. Whoever comes out of the West will likely have had to play at least one Game 7, maybe even two. Wouldn't be surprised to see the Heat go 12-0 and waltz in to the Finals well rested.

TheGoldStandard
03-20-2013, 12:58 AM
The Grizzlies won't make it out of the first round and Denver may be the team to oust them. Denver is solid if they're running so I can see them taking a game or 2 in a series against The Spurs but they're not winning a series we're deep and we can slow the game down and kill them on the inside. OKC is the biggest road block and if they sleep on some of the teams that they may have to face they may get bounced and we'll have a much easier road getting to the Finals.

thunderup
03-20-2013, 12:58 AM
Tbh, the Finals could end up going two ways:

1. Miami realizes that they're up against a team that went through a tough playoff run and they lose
2. The Western champion is gassed that they end up bowing out in an anticlimactic Finals.

Number 2 is likely to happen.

HarlemHeat37
03-20-2013, 12:59 AM
It doesn't make a difference..

Miami played a 7-game series against Boston and a grueling 6-game series vs. Indiana, yet they completely destroyed OKC in the Finals, after the Thunder had an easy 1st and 2nd round..

Off the top of my head, the 2008 Celtics went through 2 7-game series' and a 6-game series, yet they completely dominated the Lakers, despite LA having a cakewalk to the Finals..

I have never heard of a team losing in the Finals because their road to the series was more difficult than the opposing Finals participant..

thunderup
03-20-2013, 01:08 AM
It doesn't make a difference..

Miami played a 7-game series against Boston and a grueling 6-game series vs. Indiana, yet they completely destroyed OKC in the Finals, after the Thunder had an easy 1st and 2nd round..

Off the top of my head, the 2008 Celtics went through 2 7-game series' and a 6-game series, yet they completely dominated the Lakers, despite LA having a cakewalk to the Finals..

I have never heard of a team losing in the Finals because their road to the series was more difficult than the opposing Finals participant..

The content in this post leads to another argument altogether for another day.

That said, do you honestly believe teams in the east are equipped to challenge Miami past 5 games? Indiana has a small chance of getting a potential series to 6 games but even then that's in no way comparable to the drain that will come with having to face any team in the top 5. You know this, I know this, everybody knows this, partner

thunderup
03-20-2013, 01:16 AM
If the Heat play in a series against any ECF team not named Indiana that goes past 5 games, attribute that to "coasting". The Heat coasted last year throughout the playoffs only to play like gods when they dug themselves a big enough hole to be ousted or close to being ousted. These are facts that are indisputable any way yall spin it.

crc21209
03-20-2013, 01:21 AM
Thunderfag trying to act like a humble fan and saying the Spurs will beat the Thunder now.. :rolleyes :lol Nice anti-jinx try...

thunderup
03-20-2013, 01:24 AM
Thunderfag trying to act like a humble fan and saying the Spurs will beat the Thunder now.. :rolleyes :lol Nice anti-jinx try...

:lol

jestersmash
03-20-2013, 01:50 AM
I think it will all really depend on how Duncan ends up playing. As of the last 2 or 3 games he's shown flashes of getting back to that all nba caliber player he was to begin the season. Overall his play in March has been really spectacular after a poor showing in February.

30 points on 13-19 shooting, 28 points on 12-20 (with a handful of rebounds/blocks to boot) in the last 2 games. We'll need a reliable second option for when Sefalosha slows Parker down.

hooperflash
03-20-2013, 02:18 AM
I like the term ”concern” over the words ”scared” & ”worry”. Actually scratch that, let's win us the 5th chip already damn!

KaiRMD1
03-20-2013, 02:24 AM
Memphis scares me more than Denver, Spurs can shut that running shit down and then Denver is fucked. Although when JaVale wears a helmet is when they are on another level

spurraider21
03-20-2013, 02:25 AM

Their half-court offense is mediocre, they can't shoot, their bigs are hustle guys that are exploitable on both ends, and they don't have a star player..

They are a team that lives and dies by the fast break..I would expect Pop to successfully strategize against a team with an abundance of flaws..

Memphis isn't a scary team..Z-Bo isn't as good as he was in 2011, they don't have any other consistent shot-creators, the Spurs are better than 2011 and they should have revenge on their minds, tbh..

OKC is still the roadblock..Durant + Westbrook + refs + Ibaka/Collison/Perkins automatic jump shots against the Spurs is still scary..

well said :tu

rascal
03-20-2013, 04:45 AM
The Spurs may not even get past the Lakers if they meet a healthy laker team.

KL2
03-20-2013, 04:54 AM
considering OKC has Durant and a proven TP-defender in Thabo, I still see them as the biggest road block.

I think that may change thanks to Kawhi, Durant tried guarding him a few times in the OKC game but was far too slow, Sef did too but with no luck. If Kawhi is knocking shots down it changes everything.

KL2
03-20-2013, 04:54 AM
And :lol Lakers

Seventyniner
03-20-2013, 07:00 AM
The Thunder are still at the top of my fear list in the West. All the last few weeks have done is move Denver to #2 and Memphis to #3, pushing the Clippers (my former #2) down to #4.

George Gervin's Afro
03-20-2013, 07:37 AM
The Thunder are still the biggest threat to the Spurs in the West, but the more I watch them the less scary they look.

For some weird reason, I just don't find Durant a scary prospect. Obviously he's the second best player in the league, but there's something about him that I feel the Spurs can contain as long as the refs let the Spurs play.

Now Harden on the other hand I still have nightmares about. When we played the Rockets earlier in the season I was worried any time he had the ball. He effortlessly glides in to the lane and either scores, gets fouled or both. Must be how other teams feel playing against Manu tbh.

I find Durant an extremely scary prospect..dude can get his shot whenever he wants..

Richie
03-20-2013, 08:49 AM
I find Durant an extremely scary prospect..dude can get his shot whenever he wants..

True, but I feel I can live with Durant making or missing contested mid range jump shots on ISO plays as long as he's not driving for layups or kicking out to open shooters.

Strategic
03-20-2013, 09:36 AM
OKC doesn't worry me these days as much as Denver.

Splitter has gone from "I can't shoot FTs so my offensive game is shot" to "I'm gonna post Ibaka up with impunity".

This!

I think Tiago's health is key for the Spurs if a series with the Thunder happens. I don't think the Griz have enough depth, I too am concerned with the Nuggets winning ways.

Old School 44
03-20-2013, 10:08 AM

That's assuming Westbrook will pass it to him. :)

ThaBigFundamental21
03-20-2013, 11:46 AM
I live in Colorado and I get to see Denver a lot. Denver is good, young, and athletic. Their streak is impressive. They have knocked off some good teams. That being said, they are young, and play no Defense. They are forced into dumb mistakes. They have no backup plan for when their Offense breaks down and they are not aloud to run. They have no half court Offense to speak of, and we all know the game will slow down come playoff time. I see the Spurs eating the Nuggets alive come playoff time.

Spur|n|Austin
03-20-2013, 11:50 AM

I'll never understand that trade..

Horse
03-20-2013, 12:50 PM
First of all Manu was hurt in that series. Second do you think this team is anything like the one that lost to the grizz? 3rd fuck denver it is their destiny to lose to us in the playoffs end of story.

EricB
03-20-2013, 01:20 PM

With no Harden to guard Ginobili, OKC can't play that card anymore.

Captivus
03-20-2013, 01:33 PM
Isaiah talking about Denver fastbreak.

http://watch.nba.com/nba/video/channels/nba_tv/2013/03/19/20130319-den-fastbreak.nba

SpurPadre
03-20-2013, 01:58 PM
First of all Manu was hurt in that series. Second do you think this team is anything like the one that lost to the grizz? 3rd fuck denver it is their destiny to lose to us in the playoffs end of story.

Hate to break it to you but a one-armed Manu in '11 is better than a healthy '13 Manu, tbh. Second, we struggle against teams that have a good frontline. 3rd, if you feel that way, then can you offer solid reasons why Denver won't pose so much as a challenge in your view? Do they a have a super-athletic frontcourt? Yes. Do they have depth from top to bottom? Yes. Do they rebound the ball? They're 2nd best in that area. Yes, their team defense isn't that good but facing them in the playoffs would be no picnic by any means.

look_at_g_shred
03-20-2013, 03:12 PM
Hate to break it to you but a one-armed Manu in '11 is better than a healthy '13 Manu, tbh. Second, we struggle against teams that have a good frontline. 3rd, if you feel that way, then can you offer solid reasons why Denver won't pose so much as a challenge in your view? Do they a have a super-athletic frontcourt? Yes. Do they have depth from top to bottom? Yes. Do they rebound the ball? They're 2nd best in that area. Yes, their team defense isn't that good but facing them in the playoffs would be no picnic by any means.

Denver's run and gun offense will crumble in the playoffs where the game turns into a half court one. Oh and you have to be kidding about 2011 Manu. I'll take a healthy Manu anytime. Sure the guy is in a rut right now, but when the Playoffs come, he'll be ready and his poor play as of late will merely be a slight reflection in the rear view mirror.

TheGoldStandard
03-20-2013, 03:24 PM
For the most part the west is filled with parity so its conceivable that Memphis, LA, Denver the other LA team and OKC can win a game or two against the Spurs in the playoffs but when we're healthy there is not another team in the west that will beat us in a 7 game series.

Johnny RIngo
03-20-2013, 03:49 PM
Harlem basically shit all over this terrible thread. Nuggets have been bounced out of the first round, what six or seven times the past decade? Grizzlies are good but the Spurs have improved a lot since 2011. SA's like 6-1 against the Grizzlies ever since, the only loss coming in an overtime game in Memphis. The Thunder will always be the team to beat to get to the Finals.

SpurPadre
03-20-2013, 05:27 PM
Harlem basically shit all over this terrible thread. Nuggets have been bounced out of the first round, what six or seven times the past decade? Grizzlies are good but the Spurs have improved a lot since 2011. SA's like 6-1 against the Grizzlies ever since, the only loss coming in an overtime game in Memphis. The Thunder will always be the team to beat to get to the Finals.

He didn't shit over anything in this actually worthy thread. The point still stands without basketball reasons that point out why we should have nothing to worry about against those teams. Maybe you should revise your terrible post...you know with basketball talk rather than just shit talk?

Cry Havoc
03-20-2013, 05:28 PM

:lol :lol :lol

What happened to all that bluster, son? I thought the regular season doesn't matter.

DesignatedT
03-20-2013, 05:30 PM
Denver isn't better than OKC but they are better then Memphis and LAC.

I think DEN can still advance past LAC even if they don't have home court but a series between them and MEM probably come down to who has HCA.

TD 21
03-20-2013, 05:52 PM

Damn . . . you beat me to it. :lol

Bruno
03-20-2013, 06:04 PM
If Denver were playing at the sea level, they would have a least a couple less wins.

hater
03-20-2013, 06:19 PM
If Denver were playing at the sea level, they would have a least a couple less wins.

and if OKC arena was as quiet as ATT center they would have less wins too

Em-City
03-20-2013, 06:32 PM
I'd be more worried about the lakers more than either of these teams tbh.

Johnny RIngo
03-20-2013, 06:35 PM
He didn't shit over anything in this actually worthy thread. The point still stands without basketball reasons that point out why we should have nothing to worry about against those teams. Maybe you should revise your terrible post...you know with basketball talk rather than just shit talk?

:lol scared of the Denver Nuggets

DAF86
03-20-2013, 06:42 PM
lol fearing two teams that can't shoot for shit.

SpurPadre
03-20-2013, 06:53 PM
lol fearing two teams that can't shoot for shit.

Denver is 4th in the league in field goal percentage you dumb fuck. Oh well, I'm not going to defend non-Spurs teams all day. If you guys aren't concerned about them, fine by me. Go Spurs!

DejuanorwhatDude
03-20-2013, 07:01 PM
The Nuggets are a good team. Anyone who believes otherwise is a moron. But if it came down to the Spurs or the Nuggets most people would have to believe that the Spurs would win in 5 or 6.

DAF86
03-20-2013, 07:03 PM
Denver is 4th in the league in field goal percentage you dumb fuck. Oh well, I'm not going to defend non-Spurs teams all day. If you guys aren't concerned about them, fine by me. Go Spurs!

And 25th on 3pt%, they have such a good field goal % 'cause they get to the paint a lot, mainly on fast breaks, something the Spurs are really good at stopping specially on the playoffs where the game slows down.

DejuanorwhatDude
03-20-2013, 07:11 PM
And 25th on 3pt%, they have such a good field goal % 'cause they get to the paint a lot, mainly on fast breaks, something the Spurs are really good at stopping specially on the playoffs where the game slows down.

This.

SpurPadre
03-20-2013, 07:13 PM

But they're 7th in adjusted field goal percentage, which takes into account deficiencies in 3pt. percentage and other shot selection on the floor. 7th means they can shoot, no matter how you slice it. But I see your point, and it's valid.

Hoops Czar
03-20-2013, 07:35 PM

The Spurs are a regular season and I'm not sure what Denver's past has to do with their present. Denver doesn''t shoot three's well but let's not make things up. They're 3rd in offensive efficiency, 6th in TS%. 1st in fast break points and steals/game (not a good team combination against a team prone to careless turnovers), and third in assists. Denver pretty much gets any shot they want and most of them are at the rim. Denver is also number 1 in offensive rebounds and total rebounds/ game, another Achilles heal of the Spurs. Denver's #2 in pace so their really isn't a need to play half court. And if you don't think that pace can be sustained in the post season, look no further than OKC.

And while they don't have a clear cut superstar, Lawson and Faried are up and coming stars and they do have depth.

Truthfully, the Spurs are a jump shooting team. They can beat any team in the league but can lose to just about any team in the league.

DesignatedT
03-20-2013, 07:52 PM
I would like to see OKC run into DEN and the Spurs draw Memphis. I just don't see anyway MEM can pull off the upset again against this Spurs team. The Spurs are much better equipped to take on their bigs and Z-bo is not in god mode anymore.

Johnny RIngo
03-20-2013, 07:57 PM
The Spurs are a regular season and I'm not sure what Denver's past has to do with their present.

Nuggets have only made it out the first round ONCE in the past nine years. George Karl builds/coaches regular season teams. Always has, always will.

Denver doesn''t shoot three's well but let's not make things up. They're 3rd in offensive efficiency, 6th in TS%. 1st in fast break points and steals/game (not a good team combination against a team prone to careless turnovers), and third in assists. Denver pretty much gets any shot they want and most of them are at the rim. Denver is also number 1 in offensive rebounds and total rebounds/ game, another Achilles heal of the Spurs. Denver's #2 in pace so their really isn't a need to play half court. And if you don't think that pace can be sustained in the post season, look no further than OKC.

Spurs had all these awesome offensive stats last year too(#1 ORating in the league). Didn't help them in the Conference Finals though when their defense fell apart. Spurs were ranked 11th in the league in defense last year. Nuggets are 12th this year.

And while they don't have a clear cut superstar, they do have depth. Lawson and Faried are up and coming stars.

Depth is overrated in the playoffs, especially if you don't have a closer.

Truthfully, the Spurs are a jump shooting team. They can beat any team in the league but can lose to just about any team in the league.

Around 23% of the Spurs points come from three pointers - That's not abnormally high at all. That's the same rate as the Heat.

Hoops Czar
03-20-2013, 08:59 PM
Nuggets have only made it out the first round ONCE in the past nine years. George Karl builds/coaches regular season teams. Always has, always will.

Which doesn't have anything to do with this year. FYI, Karl led the then Supersonics to the finals in 1996, and guided the Bucks to within one win of the finals in 2001. He also took the Nuggets to the western conference finals in 2009 losing in 6 to the Lakers who went on to win the championship. That's a little more than regular season success. Karl can coach.

Spurs had all these awesome offensive stats last year too(#1 ORating in the league). Didn't help them in the Conference Finals though when their defense fell apart. Spurs were ranked 11th in the league in defense last year. Nuggets are 12th this year.

OKC was second in ORating and 9th in DRating and stood toe to toe with the Heat. A play here or there and a bad call to end game 2 could have flipped that series.

Depth is overrated in the playoffs, especially if you don't have a closer.

That's a shame because Parker can't do it by himself. And the only way the Spurs will win is if they get contributions from all around. It wasn't Lebron and D-wade that iced the series for OKC but the lesser knowns like Battier, Miller and Chalmers.

Around 23% of the Spurs points come from three pointers - That's not abnormally high at all. That's the same rate as the Heat.

Who's talking about three's? The Spurs shoot a ton of 12-20 foot mid range jumpers. Hell. that's all Duncan shoots these days. Green, Leonard, Neal, Ginobili, Parker included settle for the mid range jumpers. Parker and sometimes Ginobili are the only real threats to get to the rim. I should include Tiago when he's making a cut or being set up by a pass.

pgardn
03-20-2013, 09:52 PM
Okc is just not the same team without Harden. He was their best distributor and killed us from 3 land as well as going to the basket.

Denver presents problems but we can slow them down and score easily on them in the half court. Memphis, we got Tiago now and a healthy, albeit less effective Manu to go with Leonard. That loss to the Grizz has stayed in the fans head but not the players thank god.

We are the West Favorites IMO. Vegas has the Thunder...

DesertSpur50
03-20-2013, 10:11 PM
Its hard not to fear a team where 20+ free-throws a game is a given.........by one player.

SpurPadre
03-20-2013, 10:30 PM
Its hard not to fear a team where 20+ free-throws a game is a given.........by one player.

And yet they just lost back to backs to the teams I fear more. The greater point is: ALL 3 teams should concern Spurs fans.

spurraider21
03-20-2013, 10:32 PM
And yet they just lost back to backs to the teams I fear more. The greater point is: ALL 3 teams should concern Spurs fans.

We can match up with the Grizz the way Tiago has been playing. He does a killer job on Z-Bo, and they aren't super athletic. All that bodes in the Spurs favor. We'd also do solidly against the Nuggs if we can slow it down. OKC worries me because of free throws

TheGoldStandard
03-20-2013, 10:37 PM
These teams should be fearing the Spurs. Haven't played our best ball, played sloppy in games, best player has been out for the last stretch of games and we're still managing to hold onto the top spot in the west and continue to win. There is a bit of a spark between the big 3, Duncan has been playing at an elevated level, Parker is due back and Manu will get out of this slump plus our wing players and bench are starting to come around and make shots..

SpurPadre
03-20-2013, 10:44 PM
We can match up with the Grizz the way Tiago has been playing. He does a killer job on Z-Bo, and they aren't super athletic. All that bodes in the Spurs favor. We'd also do solidly against the Nuggs if we can slow it down. OKC worries me because of free throws

Yeah, Tiago may well be the x-factor in that matchup. But with Manu not being the same Manu we all know and love at this point, and if we face the Grizz in the playoffs, I see Tony Allen guard TP and TP will have to make get over that mental hurdle of getting punked by the two guard aka "getting Sefolosha'd". That would be a test for him and the team. Yes, we can definitely slow down the Nuggets but if we give up alot of 2nd chance opportunities and lose the 50/50 battles, it'll be tough to beat them. OKC will get all the help they can get from the refs and Stern, who wants Heat vs. Thunder 2 but if Ibaka doesn't channel MJ like he did that one game last year and Danny Green hits the fucking wide open shots he couldn't hit worth a damn last year, I'm certain we will beat them. I think Kawhi is the true X factor in that series, though.

SpurPadre
03-20-2013, 10:46 PM
These teams should be fearing the Spurs. Haven't played our best ball, played sloppy in games, best player has been out for the last stretch of games and we're still managing to hold onto the top spot in the west and continue to win. There is a bit of a spark between the big 3, Duncan has been playing at an elevated level, Parker is due back and Manu will get out of this slump plus our wing players and bench are starting to come around and make shots..

It would be nice if they stop with the sloppy play at least by the final week of the season, though. Too many careless passes they need to clean up.

TheGoldStandard
03-20-2013, 10:51 PM
That'll be our biggest gaff in the playoffs, can't turn the ball over and not expect reprecussions. Hopefully tony will do a better job of handling the rock than manu has.

spurraider21
03-20-2013, 10:53 PM

i think he was specifically referring to jump shooting. helps when guys like faried pad fg% and they get a lot of easy buckets on runouts. in a half court game, outside shooting is a lot more important. gallinari is as inconsistent as you can get, iggy was never a good shooter, corey brewer is a low% guy. its pretty much lawson and gallo that are legit outside shooting threats.

pgardn
03-20-2013, 10:55 PM
And the Clippers are miffed with this thread.

SpurPadre
03-20-2013, 10:58 PM
i think he was specifically referring to jump shooting. helps when guys like faried pad fg% and they get a lot of easy buckets on runouts. in a half court game, outside shooting is a lot more important. gallinari is as inconsistent as you can get, iggy was never a good shooter, corey brewer is a low% guy. its pretty much lawson and gallo that are legit outside shooting threats.

Well, Wilson Chandler can get hot from the perimeter, too.

SpurPadre
03-20-2013, 10:59 PM

After bitch slapping them last month, they're an afterthought. Oh yeah, we also bitch-slapped them last year in the playoffs, too. They might not even get past the 1st round if they get the Warriors, who match up great with them.

TheGoldStandard
03-20-2013, 11:04 PM
After bitch slapping them last month, they're an afterthought. Oh yeah, we also bitch-slapped them last year in the playoffs, too. They might not even get past the 1st round if they get the Warriors, who match up great with them.

The Clip are mental midgets with a coach who can't motivate his players. You'd think Chauncey would be able to take some kind of leadership role but his ability has diminished to the point nobody cares what he says.

exstatic
03-20-2013, 11:06 PM

Shaq led the league a number of years in FG%, and couldn't really shoot a lick. They're not the same thing at all.

I think the point is, get back and minimize their transition opportunities, and make them play half court as much as possible. That will expose their poor shooting, and allow you to run at THEM.

SpurPadre
03-20-2013, 11:07 PM
The Clip are mental midgets with a coach who can't motivate his players. You'd think Chauncey would be able to take some kind of leadership role but his ability has diminished to the point nobody cares what he says.

Yeah, and of course I forgot the possibility they might face the Nuggets, who would beat them in a track meet series, too. The only way I see the Paper Clips moving past round 1 is if they somehow get on a run for 3rd seed and face the Lakers or Rockets.

SpurPadre
03-20-2013, 11:09 PM
Shaq led the league a number of years in FG%, and couldn't really shoot a lick. They're not the same thing at all.

I think the point is, get back and minimize their transition opportunities, and make them play half court as much as possible. That will expose their poor shooting, and allow you to run at THEM.

Yeah, I agree but it just won't be easy and we can't discount the fact that Gallinari and Chandler are streaky shooters who have the capability of going off from the perimeter. Their rebounding and our lack of it is what bothers me about the matchup.

TheGoldStandard
03-20-2013, 11:15 PM
The Nuggets length is the only thing that I think will offer a bit of a challenge

TampaDude
03-20-2013, 11:27 PM
If heatlhy, Spurs can beat anyone in a 7 game series

Yup...but the thing is, so can Miami.

Spurs-Heat Finals looms.

Clipper Nation
03-20-2013, 11:33 PM

Are you kidding? I'd be ready to throw a parade if the Clippers won a game against the Spurs in the playoffs, tbh.... :lol

Obstructed_View
03-21-2013, 02:24 AM
The only team that potentially scares me is the Spurs. I figured they'd have a chance last year but wondered what would happen once that streak ended.

Brunodf
03-21-2013, 02:46 AM
The only team that potentially scares me is the Spurs. I figured they'd have a chance last year but wondered what would happen once that streak ended.
Zebras too

Obstructed_View
03-21-2013, 03:34 AM
Zebras too

To be perfectly fair, the refs didn't stop Danny Green from being able to hit the broad side of a barn.

Horse
03-21-2013, 12:32 PM
They're just another phoenix. As we know in the playoffs the game slows down, when they don't score fast they don't score. Now I didn't say they would'nt be a challenge but by hook or by crook we win.

Sean Cagney
03-21-2013, 12:34 PM
The Thunder are still the biggest threat to the Spurs in the West..

PERIOD end of story, they can still beat us as well if they have HC IMO. Spurs need to worry about rounds one and two first though, stop with the worry or look ahead stuff! Grizz showed me this a few years ago, nothing is a given.