PDA

View Full Version : Gary Neal in the doghouse?

romsho
03-21-2013, 07:49 AM
Gary Neal played about a minute in the Cleveland game, got yanked, and then was lit into by Pop at the end of the bench. I believe some of the words used were "selfish M'fer" and "not gonna put up with this bullshit." Of course he was done for the night, and got a DNP against Golden State last night. Didn't hear anything about an injury...the way De Colo plays defense and his all around performance the last 2 games, makes you wonder if those were Gary Neal's last regular rotation minutes.

Seventyniner
03-21-2013, 08:18 AM
Neal's shot selection has always ranged from aggressive all the way to Jordan Crawford/Nick Young chuckery. It can be helpful if the team is in an offensive rut and needs a boost, but it hurts ball movement and obviously hurts the defense.

You might very well be right about Neal losing his spot in the rotation. If he can't even get minutes with Parker out, it's hard to see him being one of the 8 or 9 players Pop uses in the playoffs.

Also, were you or someone you know sitting near the bench? I'm wondering if those were the exact words used. If so, I'm surprised Pop waited this long. It's not like Neal has suddenly started chucking more.

romsho
03-21-2013, 08:24 AM
My brother was sitting a few feet from the end of the bench. Called me after the game and the 1st thing he mentioned was the tirade. Said he hadn't seen Pop let someone have it to that extent in quite some time.

Spur|n|Austin
03-21-2013, 08:29 AM
My brother was sitting a few feet from the end of the bench. Called me after the game and the 1st thing he mentioned was the tirade. Said he hadn't seen Pop let someone have it to that extent in quite some time.

Good, he deserved it in my opinion. Right before he got pulled he played two series' of the worst D I've seen from anyone on the team all season.

Seventyniner
03-21-2013, 08:33 AM

Wow. That makes me wonder how long Neal's stay in the doghouse will last. It could be a while.

Thanks for the inside scoop. :toast

Thread
03-21-2013, 08:41 AM
Me? I fervently hope Neal metastasis.

tee, hee.

Dex
03-21-2013, 08:46 AM
Good. Neal to me is one of those fools gold players, ala HWSNBN.

Sure, it's exciting whenever he is knocking down threes, but the rest of his game detracts from the team too much to make that worth it. Terrible of defense. Can't run the offense. Takes bad shots. Kills the ball movement. Can't finish around the rim.

He's usually too busy trying to jump start his game to play within the system, and that is something that the team simply can't afford. Especially when he is injured and can't even do the one thing he is out there to do well (shoot). The Spurs don't need a guy who is going to bring the ball across halfcourt and shoot a 30-footer with nobody on the boards just because he feels he has the green light.

Shut him down, let the foot heal, and we'll see about next season IMO.

Thread
03-21-2013, 08:49 AM
^Just don't trade him. Then I'd be alone with a rapist. Right now I got you humps right next to me. It's kinda cozy each of us with a sexual predator, Dex.

tee, hee.

Chomag
03-21-2013, 08:50 AM
Roger Mason 2.0 tbh. We could blame it some on injuries but if I remember correctly Mason had an injured hand in his final Spurs season. Another of Pop's PG experiment ruining a player per par. I don't want to be completely negative but just wish the Damn man would play his players in their correct positions.

TE
03-21-2013, 08:59 AM
Thank god tbh. The mfker would be vying for the backup pg. Imagine if we were in that predicament.

tenbeersbold
03-21-2013, 08:59 AM
LOL..all you haters...

Neal a guy who makes chump change and can create his own shot(a rarity on this team btw)

We're gonna need Neal come p/o time,dude rises to the occasion w/ big shots

Remember that last Mavs game where they were catching up and Dirk nailed that 3 to throw the Mavs momentum into overdrive????

Neal calmly stepped up and answered w/ his own dagger 3 on the next play
You could see the momentum smacked right off of Dirks face

Spurs gonna need them cojones in a close game or two in the PO's

Book it!

TE
03-21-2013, 09:00 AM
^Just don't trade him. Then I'd be alone with a rapist. Right now I got you humps right next to me. It's kinda cozy each of us with a sexual predator, Dex.

tee, hee.
You're one weird deranged mfker.

superjames1992
03-21-2013, 09:25 AM
Gary Neal played about a minute in the Cleveland game, got yanked, and then was lit into by Pop at the end of the bench. I believe some of the words used were "selfish M'fer" and "not gonna put up with this bullshit." Of course he was done for the night, and got a DNP against Golden State last night. Didn't hear anything about an injury...the way De Colo plays defense and his all around performance the last 2 games, makes you wonder if those were Gary Neal's last regular rotation minutes.
Glad to see the Hero there, tbh. Hope he stays there for the Playoffs. We've got enough shooting guards. We need a real PG.

superjames1992
03-21-2013, 09:27 AM
LOL..all you haters...

Neal a guy who makes chump change and can create his own shot(a rarity on this team btw)

Remember that last Mavs game where they were catching up and Dirk nailed that 3 to throw the Mavs momentum into overdrive????

Book it!
LOL...

Ice009
03-21-2013, 09:30 AM
Can anyone else confirm this?

Thread
03-21-2013, 09:46 AM
You're one weird deranged mfker.

It's mortifying when you have one of your own like Neal, eh? It was fun for ya's when only we had one. Then Poop took him in. Now you'd like to just forget about Neal's rape.

Uh, uh.

Fireball
03-21-2013, 09:56 AM
LOL..all you haters...

Book it!

These are fair points, but everybody has to acknowledge that his offensive game so far this season is not on par with his first two seasons. He started the season better defensively, but that production has dropped. This has to be related to his plantar fasciatis, which will not go away this season I guess. We all saw what plantar fasciatis did to a guy like Tony Parker a few years ago. No surprise Neal is struggling as well ...

Thread
03-21-2013, 10:07 AM
I remember last season I offered Bynum for Neal & Splitter. Give you guys a break + unite the rapists.

tee, hee.

Darius Bieber
03-21-2013, 11:46 AM
I think he can still hit clutch shots. Remember (even though it really didn't matter in the end...):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGnJ0uUgJIw

RD2191
03-21-2013, 11:57 AM
I think he can still hit clutch shots. Remember (even though it really didn't matter in the end...):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGnJ0uUgJIw
omg will you fukin clowns get over it. he hit 1 fluke shot in the playoffs. what has he done since???

2centsworth
03-21-2013, 12:01 PM
I absolutely love Neal's Jumpshot and fearlessness, the antithesis of Richard Jefferson. His problem is his "D" stinks and tries to overcompensate by shooting more.

Sean Cagney
03-21-2013, 12:08 PM
Good, he deserved it in my opinion. Right before he got pulled he played two series' of the worst D I've seen from anyone on the team all season.
YEP, his D is atrocious and he is not a good backup PG at all so let him have it POP! Then again it's POPS fault he plays PG anyways so maybe Pop should let himself have it at times.

He is horrible at D though.
I absolutely love Neal's Jumpshot and fearlessness, the antithesis of Richard Jefferson. His problem is his "D" stinks and tries to overcompensate by shooting more.

I don't like it when he is 28 feet out or so and chucks up a god awful shot out of the flow of the offense, which happens often.
omg will you fukin clowns get over it. he hit 1 fluke shot in the playoffs. what has he done since???

I agree, good lord is that all they can ever post to prove he is clutch and belongs out there? I have seen this shot over and over from fans in here as to atleast he is clutch. He hit a big shot to tie up LAC too and we won the game last year (Off Chris Pauls bonehead TO), but other than that he is no Horry or even KERR in folklore here for GODS sakes.

Brunodf
03-21-2013, 12:16 PM
I hope so

Darius Bieber
03-21-2013, 12:24 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZNKqA1DwQY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnh8Bjl9kBg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p7AVZymJ4g

romsho
03-21-2013, 12:26 PM
I would imagine we'll see Gary Neal again before long, but maybe more as a spark off the bench in the right matchup. Even when healthy, he's mis-cast as a point guard. You just never know with Pop...I was surprised how many minutes he got against OKC. When he's on, hard to think of a better stroke. Clutch too. Hopefully he's got thick skin and stays ready.

Thread
03-21-2013, 12:30 PM
How bout Pau Gasol for Neal & Splitter?

RD2191
03-21-2013, 12:30 PM
yawn, only 2 were in the playoffs. even scrubs can have great reg season games

RD2191
03-21-2013, 12:31 PM
wait not even 2, just 1. lol

Uriel
03-21-2013, 12:33 PM
Those are some pretty harsh words, even by :pop: standards.

Bill_Brasky
03-21-2013, 12:37 PM
When he's healthy he's an awesome scorer. That foot must really be bothering him, might honestly wanna shut him down for the season.

Thread
03-21-2013, 12:38 PM
^Can ya imagine if Neal would swung on Poop there? I'd give both my left & right nut to see that happen. Duncan jumps in, somehow the back of his jersey rides up and his TRAMP STAMP is forever more on the tube (you style)

Maneshevitz.

SpurPadre
03-21-2013, 12:50 PM
Man, that's music to my ears if that's true. Fucking motherchucker and I'm sure Manu hates playing with the dude since he always takes the ball off his hands when they're on the court together.

td4mvp2k
03-21-2013, 01:05 PM
When he's healthy he's an awesome scorer. That foot must really be bothering him, might honestly wanna shut him down for the season.Wont do that cuz an injured Neal in POs is more then no Neal

When he's on, hard to think of a better stroke. Clutch too. Hopefully he's got thick skin and stays ready.#1 on Spurs

Bruno
03-21-2013, 01:24 PM
Nice report, romsho.

I've looked back at the Cavs game and pictures confirmed that Neal got an earful from Pop. Neal got subbed by De Colo and sat at the end of the bench. Pop got there and start talking to him.

The play that put Neal on the bench was him going under a screen against Ellington who made a 3 pointer. I guess to warrant the benching, there were strict consigns of not going under a screen against Ellington. What also didn't help Neal was that he made a big defensive mistake earlier by letting Ellington cut to the basket. It's also possible that Pop didn't like Neal attitude or what he said after being benched.

Against GSW, Neal wasn't even on the 13 players active roster. Either it was a sanction or Pop wants to give Neal some time off to see if he can get healthier. It's possible Pop came to the conclusion that an hobbled Neal is quite useless.

Pasta Batman
03-21-2013, 02:46 PM
Either it was a sanction or Pop wants to give Neal some time off to see if he can get healthier. It's possible Pop came to the conclusion that an hobbled Neal is quite useless.

It's probably a combination of everything. He's never been good at D, but his injuries make him even worse. And then his O is even more of a roller coaster, probably due to his injuries. It makes sense to see what the others can do with the limited time.

Mel_13
03-21-2013, 02:57 PM
The playoff rotation has been set for some time, with the exception of the minutes behind Tony. Those minutes were Neal's to lose and his injuries and poor play, combined with positive contributions from Cory and Nando, may well have moved Neal out of the playoff rotation.

Nando deserves kudos for being ready when the opportunity presented itself. Being passed over by Joseph for the starting slot in Tony's absence had to be tough to take, but he was clearly ready when his number was called.

hater
03-21-2013, 03:02 PM
Pop is one brutal motherfucker.

Old man might be losing it as he wears the mommy dress when dealing with scrub Manu?

TheGoldStandard
03-21-2013, 03:09 PM
Gary is done for this season and might end up being fodder for the spurs to create cap space in the offseason. I foresee a trade that could warrant a draft pick or be part of a package deal that could send some of our other contracts away.

BillMc
03-21-2013, 03:19 PM
I think it was after the Cavs game, that an interviewer asked Pop if Neal was injured or hobbled. Pop said flatly "no." So, unless Pop's trying to disguise the injury severity to opponents, it sounds like Gary isn't getting playing time strictly because of his play and being in the doghouse.

Spur|n|Austin
03-21-2013, 03:23 PM
I think it was after the Cavs game, that an interviewer asked Pop if Neal was injured or hobbled. Pop said flatly "no." So, unless Pop's trying to disguise the injury severity to opponents, it sounds like Gary isn't getting playing time strictly because of his play and being in the doghouse.

Yep, agreed. That might have cost GN any playoff minutes, at least I hope it did.

Pasta Batman
03-21-2013, 03:26 PM
The playoff rotation has been set for some time, with the exception of the minutes behind Tony. Those minutes were Neal's to lose and his injuries and poor play, combined with positive contributions from Cory and Nando, may well have moved Neal out of the playoff rotation.

Nando deserves kudos for being ready when the opportunity presented itself. Being passed over by Joseph for the starting slot in Tony's absence had to be tough to take, but he was clearly ready when his number was called.

CJ was called up because he wasn't happy with how all the backups were playing. Parker did say that in his radio show and also said had it locked down. So CJ and Nando seemed to have brought out the best in each other. It's good that Nando has gotten more Austin time. They seem to have helped work out some of his kinks and boosted his confidence in the Spurs system.

TheGoldStandard
03-21-2013, 03:29 PM
Nando realized that he didn't want to go back and play for the Toros so he only had one option, get with it and start performing and it showed last night.

timtonymanu
03-21-2013, 03:30 PM
Neal doesn't fit in the rotation or the team for that matter since the Spurs have transitioned to a defense-focused team and the growth of Splitter, Leonard, and Green's offensive production.

That being said, :lol at anyone trashing Neal like he's HWSNBN. Yes, Neal is a chucker. Yes, he stalls the offense. Yes, he's a terrible defender. But that's just the kind of player he is. IMO, it's on Pop for playing him so much when he's obviously hurt.

Hopefully, Nando can start bringing that aggression consistently instead of 1 out of every 6 games. Maybe it will knock Gary out for good because I doubt CoJo will be the backup PG.

spurraider21
03-21-2013, 04:50 PM
Roger Mason 2.0 tbh. We could blame it some on injuries but if I remember correctly Mason had an injured hand in his final Spurs season. Another of Pop's PG experiment ruining a player per par. I don't want to be completely negative but just wish the Damn man would play his players in their correct positions.

It's still weird with Manu in the second unit. Is he supposed to be relegated to spot up/basket cuts? Having a guy that can handle the ball but also be a lethal outside shooter (what he wanted out of Mason, Neal) is a perfect fit along Manu in that second unit. I think its a big reason why Neal had been getting minutes over nando/cojo. Lately Nando has been nailing outside shots, and thats a big factor in Neal's recently limited playing time.

Juggity
03-21-2013, 05:00 PM
Roger Mason 2.0 tbh.

Neal is not, nor shall he ever be, Roger Mason Jr. Played correctly, as a shooting guard spark off the bench, the guy puts points on the board and brings a lot of value. His defense is not great comparatively speaking, but anyone evoking terrible chokers like Richard Jefferson or Roger Mason Jr. is way off base.

timtonymanu
03-21-2013, 05:07 PM
Neal is not, nor shall he ever be, Roger Mason Jr. Played correctly, as a shooting guard spark off the bench, the guy puts points on the board and brings a lot of value. His defense is not great comparatively speaking, but anyone evoking terrible chokers like Richard Jefferson or Roger Mason Jr. is way off base.

:tu Such a shitty comparison that the less knowledgeable fans always use.

It was just recently around the month of December last year that Neal was the 4th best scorer on the team, filling in for an injured Manu. That PF injury has obviously ruined everything about his game. I am in no way advocating Neal getting minutes with his current production, but it's funny how people knock Neal even though Pop always preached "Shoot or sit." Neal is just doing his job unlike Jefferson who always passed up shots even when wide open.

jestersmash
03-21-2013, 05:29 PM
It's still weird with Manu in the second unit. Is he supposed to be relegated to spot up/basket cuts? Having a guy that can handle the ball but also be a lethal outside shooter (what he wanted out of Mason, Neal) is a perfect fit along Manu in that second unit. I think its a big reason why Neal had been getting minutes over nando/cojo. Lately Nando has been nailing outside shots, and thats a big factor in Neal's recently limited playing time.

Neal can't handle the ball. The best he can do handling the ball is to dribble off screens (poorly) and shoot a contested jump shot, which to his credit he can make when he's on.

But, he rarely gets deep, clean penetration to the rim and he rarely sets up teammates for a clean, open look. He can get is own (contested) shot off, and he can penetrate somewhat and throw up that little floater shot.

Every once in a blue moon he'll set someone up for a shot, but it's rare.

Nando has the wits about him to set people up cleanly, but he suffers from being too meager on offense himself. I'm sure Pop has told Nando to look more for his shot when he's wide open (to keep the defense honest), and he's delivered (in the last few games at least).

I still like Gary as an off the ball role player if Danny Green, for example, is struggling from the field on any given night, but Gary Neal does not deserve back up point guard duties on this team. He's an awful back up P.G. unless he gets hot and makes 45-50% of his contested jumpers dribbling off picks/screens.

Pasta Batman
03-21-2013, 07:51 PM

Just about anyone on the team can now hit an outside shot. Nando, CJ, Green, so Manu can be next to anyone. The big gain is that those mentioned guys can play D too. And aside from Green, can all handle pretty well.

Also, Neal should not dribble against OKC or LAC. Both of them have athletic/quick defenders that get him in trouble at half court. They are long enough to make a trap very effective on him.

superjames1992
03-21-2013, 07:54 PM

Oh, Christ, not that one shot again. SMH. He hasn't done jack other than that one fluker. Instead, he chucks up heroes like they're going out of style.

Besides, he sucks ass at playing point guard. He destroys the offense with his chubby chucking and his lack of dribbling/passing ability (you know, things PGs are supposed to be good at?!?!?!?!).

DMC
03-21-2013, 10:29 PM
Gary Neal needs to get out of the mercenary mentality. He's playing like he's trying to make the team, and that he has one option and that's to shoot the ball. He needs to work on other things to keep himself NBA level, and pick his spots more carefully. Every possession isn't a last second shot, no need to force it.

He's cheap. If the Spurs release him, he's going to to go another NBA team right away.

DMC
03-21-2013, 10:30 PM
Neal can't handle the ball. The best he can do handling the ball is to dribble off screens (poorly) and shoot a contested jump shot, which to his credit he can make when he's on.

But, he rarely gets deep, clean penetration to the rim and he rarely sets up teammates for a clean, open look. He can get is own (contested) shot off, and he can penetrate somewhat and throw up that little floater shot.

Every once in a blue moon he'll set someone up for a shot, but it's rare.

Nando has the wits about him to set people up cleanly, but he suffers from being too meager on offense himself. I'm sure Pop has told Nando to look more for his shot when he's wide open (to keep the defense honest), and he's delivered (in the last few games at least).

I still like Gary as an off the ball role player if Danny Green, for example, is struggling from the field on any given night, but Gary Neal does not deserve back up point guard duties on this team. He's an awful back up P.G. unless he gets hot and makes 45-50% of his contested jumpers dribbling off picks/screens.

There was that one time.

hater
03-21-2013, 10:33 PM
that wasn't clean at all from what I heard

skulls138
03-22-2013, 05:36 PM
He's a shooting guard not a point guard. His effectiveness went down hill as soon as he changed positions. A point guard has to work alot harder, both mentally and physically and it took its toll on his game I think. I would love it if they found room for him and he found his touch again, right during the playoffs.

jyra
03-22-2013, 06:28 PM

I hope that will be the case going forward.

therealtruth
03-22-2013, 06:49 PM
It makes sense. We can't afford to have Neal leave someone like Derek Fisher open in an important playoff game. CJ plays defense and Nando at least can use his length.

timtonymanu
03-22-2013, 07:07 PM
Hopefully this is legit. CoJo needs to be with the team now instead of at Austin. :tu

Bruno
03-22-2013, 07:20 PM
Baynes and Neal are inactive for the Jazz game.

Neal is in the doghouse.

Obstructed_View
03-22-2013, 11:08 PM
So I wonder what all this is going to accomplish. Pop's just going to pout for a few more games until he relents and puts Neal into the game at some point? That man's ability to hold a grudge is legendary. I hope it doesn't cost the team, as Neal does have value.

benstanfield
03-22-2013, 11:45 PM
Of course the game he holds Neal out we shoot like 39% from the field in the first half and score what, 38 points? The only role Gary Neal is suited to play in the NBA is that of instant hot shooting when the team needs offense.

Bruno
03-23-2013, 12:19 AM
Post ASG, Neal FG% is .295.

While something likely happened on the sidelines in the Cavs game, Pop could just think that Neal, with his injuries, just isn't good enough to help Spurs. Some time off might help him to get healthier and turn back into a player that brings something positive on the court.

And if Spurs need some instance offense, Mills is a good option.

Obstructed_View
03-23-2013, 12:28 AM
Neal looked the most like Neal a couple of games ago. Was it the same one where he was benched or the game before?

saxman
03-23-2013, 02:10 PM
Good point regarding Mills being a good option to replace Neal...in the regular season. However, having Neal fully healthy would be a better option in the playoffs.

romsho
03-23-2013, 05:05 PM
Of course the game he holds Neal out we shoot like 39% from the field in the first half and score what, 38 points? The only role Gary Neal is suited to play in the NBA is that of instant hot shooting when the team needs offense.

Right. While not a regular rotation player because of defense and inability to play the point, you might want that guy on the bench in case of a tough shooting night. Pop needs to decide between De Colo or Joseph at backup point...whoever he doesn't choose should be inactive. Not Gary Neal.

UZER
03-23-2013, 07:44 PM
As predicted, Pop turned another good shooting 2 guard (and this one was clutch) into nothing but a pine riding scrub by insisting on playing out of position at back up point.

Gagnrath
03-23-2013, 08:02 PM
As predicted, Pop turned another good shooting 2 guard (and this one was clutch) into nothing but a pine riding scrub by insisting on playing out of position at back up point.

I don't think so, I think that Neal is right about 85% right physically when it comes to his movement due to the plantar fasciitis. The problem is Neal is already borderline in the NBA physically when he is healthy. He's short for his position, and sorta slow. Now put him out of position against faster players, slightly hobbled and its just all sorts of bad news. Then add in pain throwing off shooting mechanics just a bit and its just all bad news for the guy.

I never played nor was around high level basketball, but I can tell you from directly experiencing fairly high level soccer, and being around pro-snowboarding that the difference between a third tier guy (which Neal is) and a guy watching in street clothes isn't that much, and that the same third tier guy with bit of an injury that a star could play through and still be effective isn't going to be competitive. You also see it a lot in length of careers loosing a half a step when you are a half a step ahead of the other guys isn't bad, when you are already half a step behind and trying to get by on anticipation, grit and determination then you can't keep up.

Bruno
03-23-2013, 08:37 PM
Neal played something like 80% of his minutes at the SG spot which is way more than last year. But, yeah, it's playing PG that screw him and it has nothing to do with his injuries...

That the same BS than for Mason who started to sucked 1 month before starting playing PG and whose has been bad since that with other teams. But, yeah, he started to suck because he knew he would play PG in the future and he has continued to suck with other teams because he is traumatized...

Neal sucks because he is injured. Mason sucked because he was a marginal player. Repeating the same BS that Pop broke them by playing them PG won't make it true.

Edit: after looking, it's 76.4% of his minutes at SG for Neal this season.

Bruno
03-23-2013, 08:39 PM
Neal looked the most like Neal a couple of games ago. Was it the same one where he was benched or the game before?

It was the game before he got benched. The game where he got benched, he played 2 minutes, didn't take a shot and made 2 defensive mistakes.

Mel_13
03-23-2013, 09:08 PM
Neal played something like 80% of his minutes at the SG spot which is way more than last year. But, yeah, it's playing PG that screw him and it has nothing to do with his injuries...

That the same BS than for Mason who started to sucked 1 month before starting playing PG and whose has been bad since that with other teams. But, yeah, he started to suck because he knew he would play PG in the future and he has continued to suck with other teams because he is traumatized...

Neal sucks because he is injured. Mason sucked because he was a marginal player. Repeating the same BS that Pop broke them by playing them PG won't make it true.

People are attached to their agendas.

callo1
03-24-2013, 12:39 AM
Leave Neal off the playoff roster and put Baynes on.

Not hating on Neal, but he isn't healthy and the Spurs need backup size, especially if they are going to face the Lakers in the first round. If Timmy or Tiago are gone for a game or two, the Spurs are done the way they sit now.

callo1
03-24-2013, 12:43 AM
On second thought, leave Bonner off of the playoff roster since he pulls a Houdini after March anyway.

will_spurs
03-24-2013, 01:44 PM
Neal is just a roleplayer, which means that if he isn't at 100% physically and at the top of his game in terms of confidence, focus and execution, he's just a fringe NBA player. And fringe NBA players usually don't get a lot of PT for contenders. As I've been saying before (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207643), I'm actually happy he's finally in the doghouse. It's better for the Spurs present, and for the Spurs future too.

Mel_13
03-24-2013, 01:49 PM
Leave Neal off the playoff roster and put Baynes on.

Not hating on Neal, but he isn't healthy and the Spurs need backup size, especially if they are going to face the Lakers in the first round. If Timmy or Tiago are gone for a game or two, the Spurs are done the way they sit now.

The active roster can be adjusted game by game.

therealtruth
03-24-2013, 05:01 PM
Neal is just a roleplayer, which means that if he isn't at 100% physically and at the top of his game in terms of confidence, focus and execution, he's just a fringe NBA player. And fringe NBA players usually don't get a lot of PT for contenders. As I've been saying before (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207643), I'm actually happy he's finally in the doghouse. It's better for the Spurs present, and for the Spurs future too.

I agree. He and Bonner were our weakest links defensively against OKC in the WCF. If those guys don't play their role players will have a much tougher time scoring.

The Whopper
03-24-2013, 05:09 PM
I don't think so, I think that Neal is right about 85% right physically when it comes to his movement due to the plantar fasciitis. The problem is Neal is already borderline in the NBA physically when he is healthy. He's short for his position, and sorta slow. Now put him out of position against faster players, slightly hobbled and its just all sorts of bad news. Then add in pain throwing off shooting mechanics just a bit and its just all bad news for the guy.

I never played nor was around high level basketball, but I can tell you from directly experiencing fairly high level soccer, and being around pro-snowboarding that the difference between a third tier guy (which Neal is) and a guy watching in street clothes isn't that much, and that the same third tier guy with bit of an injury that a star could play through and still be effective isn't going to be competitive. You also see it a lot in length of careers loosing a half a step when you are a half a step ahead of the other guys isn't bad, when you are already half a step behind and trying to get by on anticipation, grit and determination then you can't keep up.

these are my thoughts exactly. He's out of position, hurt, and limited to begin with. I speculate after Pop went off on him they agreed to sit him until hopefully he gets healthier and can play back in position in spots. Poor man's Craig Hodges.

pikkiwoki
03-25-2013, 09:24 AM
Nice report, romsho.

I've looked back at the Cavs game and pictures confirmed that Neal got an earful from Pop. Neal got subbed by De Colo and sat at the end of the bench. Pop got there and start talking to him.

The play that put Neal on the bench was him going under a screen against Ellington who made a 3 pointer. I guess to warrant the benching, there were strict consigns of not going under a screen against Ellington. What also didn't help Neal was that he made a big defensive mistake earlier by letting Ellington cut to the basket. It's also possible that Pop didn't like Neal attitude or what he said after being benched.

Against GSW, Neal wasn't even on the 13 players active roster. Either it was a sanction or Pop wants to give Neal some time off to see if he can get healthier. It's possible Pop came to the conclusion that an hobbled Neal is quite useless.

It looked like when Pop was in Neal's face, Pop was pointing to the left defensive corner. Seems like he was mad about Neal's matador defense on Luke Walton, swiping at Walton as he drove by instead of moving his feet. Walton got in the paint and kicked out to Ellington for a three.

Leetonidas
03-25-2013, 09:29 AM
Neal is a stone cold mf'er. We'll be needing him come playoff time, some of you clamoring for his nailing to the bench are retarded

romsho
03-25-2013, 12:13 PM
Neal is a stone cold mf'er. We'll be needing him come playoff time, some of you clamoring for his nailing to the bench are retarded

Could not agree more. The ability to knock down shots when the offense is failing is a very valuable asset.

Gagnrath
03-25-2013, 08:01 PM

I'm not going to argue with recorded stats and he has played more sg and less pg this year but he has been primary ball-handler and initiator of the offense it seems more than 25% of his minutes on the floor. I wouldn't have said much more than a third, would have said a third to slightly over that. I also wouldn't necessarily count garbage time with him and mills or him and de colo towards the start of the year time with him at SG, which could be where the difference comes in. I do still think it is a case of him being not right physically as much as in the doghouse or suddenly ineffective.

The previous two years Neal has shown good moderately good effort on defense most of the time but a lack of instincts, speed and length. In some ways its like Neal as a passer, he tries and when he has a moderate amount of time to think about it he generally makes the right move but it isn't natural for him and because of that it often times doesn't pass the eye test or seem all that effective because it is slightly late.

mabrignani
03-25-2013, 08:47 PM
that boy is radioactive

Ice009
03-25-2013, 08:48 PM
Spurs need Neal's offense. I still want Neal getting some minutes at SG when the match up is somewhat reasonable on the defensive end.

He's a lethal shooter who can take and make big shots. There's not many players on the team that can do that.

As long as he doesn't have to play PG or defend speedy PGs, then he should get some spot minutes here and there. When the offense has come to a grinding halt, that is also THE time to get him into the game.

therealtruth
03-25-2013, 09:51 PM
Spurs need Neal's offense. I still want Neal getting some minutes at SG when the match up is somewhat reasonable on the defensive end.

He's a lethal shooter who can take and make big shots. There's not many players on the team that can do that.

As long as he doesn't have to play PG or defend speedy PGs, then he should get some spot minutes here and there. When the offense has come to a grinding halt, that is also THE time to get him into the game.

There's no problem playing him when they're favorable matchups but I'm not sure how many matchups are favorable for him. Neal couldn't guard Derek Fisher in the WCF and that's as favorable as you get.

Thread
03-25-2013, 10:07 PM
Neal is a stone cold mf'er.

As long as yer female & bent over a sink puking.

tee, hee.

Chris
03-27-2013, 11:24 PM
DNP-CD tonight, he'll get a few more chances to crack the playoff rotation before regular season's end but it's not looking good for the chucker.

Thread
03-27-2013, 11:59 PM
DNP-CD tonight, he'll get a few more chances to crack the playoff rotation before regular season's end but it's not looking good for the chucker.

Ain't it nice though that MSM leaves it lay there? No fuss. All quiet. Poop can administer discipline without reverberation of any sort.

Just shows ta go ya.

Bruno
03-28-2013, 12:31 AM
It's noteworthy that Neal was on the active roster against Denver while Mills was inactive. Whatever was the issue with him (attitude, health, poor level of play..), it wasn't big enough for Pop to shut him down for good.

Bruno
03-28-2013, 07:42 AM

So it was because of an injury.

pjjrfan
03-29-2013, 11:32 AM
HE's been chucking up shots good and bad for most of his stay here, he is a liability everytime he runs the point, and his defense is hot and cold, knowing Pop I think it's defensive breakdowns that cause him to go beserk, this year alone he has gone after Timmy, Manu , Splitter, Green and even Kawhi, but Neal I think has really frustrated him. I met Neal and Pop at a school function 2 years ago and I told Neal I loved his jumpshot, and Pop chimed in, "Don't talk about his jump shot, talk to him about his defense." And he laughed, I guess he's not laughing now.

ElNono
03-29-2013, 12:01 PM
I thought I posted this here, but during the Houston game telecast, the Houston crew said he was out with planar fasciitis. Sounded official enough.

EDIT:
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211333&page=10&p=6435387#post6435387