PDA

View Full Version : Has Google peaked?

Pop
03-21-2013, 01:51 PM
Feels like M$ is gonna rebound with Blue/the new Xbox running RT apps (thus boosting the adoption of RT and the creation of apps), they could maybe even rebound with phones if they put a real RT on them instead of WP8.

Meanwhile Chrome OS is going nowhere.

Meanwhile Samsung is getting ready to jump ship to Tizen and rightfully so since Google bought Motorolla and that's worse/more dangerous than what M$ did to Nokia from Samsung's point of view (giving them money to make Windows Phones exclusively), Google will soon be in a position to fuck all the manufacturers over once their own Motorolla phones finally come out so it's pretty obvious that they're all going to run from Android. It's a bit of a do or die and Samsung can go head to head with them quite easily.

They create so many apps only to give up on them, some of them even seem to serve the same purpose, Keep, Tasks? Feels kinda dysfunctional/amateurish for such a big company.

Glass is a gonna be an epic fail and a waste of money.

Not sure how it will turn out but I'm thinking it could turn badly for them and they may need to rethink their way of doing things...

leemajors
03-21-2013, 01:57 PM
M$ isn't rebounding anytime soon, especially with RT.

Pop
03-21-2013, 02:20 PM
M$ isn't rebounding anytime soon, especially with RT.

Well RT will get boosted by the Xbox and I wouldn't bet against the Xbox, especially when Sony has been doing so badly in recent years.

leemajors
03-21-2013, 02:27 PM
RT cannot run legacy apps, PCs with Intel Atom chips can. It's going nowhere.

TeyshaBlue
03-21-2013, 03:01 PM
Samsung is not jumping ship to Tizen. Jesus. Where do you get this shit?

ElNono
03-21-2013, 03:38 PM
RT cannot run legacy apps, PCs with Intel Atom chips can. It's going nowhere.

Can't comment too much, but I wouldn't bet against it. I know for a fact they've really good incentives to move apps to RT ;)

Cry Havoc
03-21-2013, 03:48 PM
Google could honestly only be just getting started. Can you imagine if they find a way to make self-driving cars affordable? Insurance rates would drop like a rock because of the instant drastic reduction of crashes/fatalities.

Not to mention that they're (albeit slowly) installing Google Fibre in the central US, and it's every bit as amazing as has been promised from reports I've been reading.

Samsung is probably a bigger threat to Google at this point than Apple is, but as big as Sammy is, you gotta wonder if they won't get bogged down like Sony and Microsoft did after being a world leader for a while.

Drachen
03-21-2013, 03:56 PM
Feels like M$ is gonna rebound with Blue/the new Xbox running RT apps (thus boosting the adoption of RT and the creation of apps), they could maybe even rebound with phones if they put a real RT on them instead of WP8.

Meanwhile Chrome OS is going nowhere.

Meanwhile Samsung is getting ready to jump ship to Tizen and rightfully so since Google bought Motorolla and that's worse/more dangerous than what M$ did to Nokia from Samsung's point of view (giving them money to make Windows Phones exclusively), Google will soon be in a position to fuck all the manufacturers over once their own Motorolla phones finally come out so it's pretty obvious that they're all going to run from Android. It's a bit of a do or die and Samsung can go head to head with them quite easily.

They create so many apps only to give up on them, some of them even seem to serve the same purpose, Keep, Tasks? Feels kinda dysfunctional/amateurish for such a big company.

Glass is a gonna be an epic fail and a waste of money.

Not sure how it will turn out but I'm thinking it could turn badly for them and they may need to rethink their way of doing things...

Chrome OS is going nowhere, despite the fact that the samsung chrome laptop has been the top selling laptop at amazon. Is the top "wished for" laptop, and the number 1 gift idea.

Samsung may jump ship to Tizen ( TeyshaBlue they are releasing a tizen flagship phone this year), but how many android fans will do the same?

Glass seems cool and it may or may not be successful in its current form, but the tech that goes into it will definitely be used in other projects.

Driverless cars.

Google's work on/stake in renewable energy projects

etc.

NASpurs
03-21-2013, 03:57 PM
Google Fiber. I need that shit in my house.

Drachen
03-21-2013, 04:00 PM
Google Fiber. I need that shit in my house.

I honestly don't see the point. My TWC internet is about 20 Mbps and it is plenty fast. Am I missing something? I honestly would probably sign up for their 5.x Mbps free service and not look back.

NASpurs
03-21-2013, 04:02 PM
I honestly don't see the point. My TWC internet is about 20 Mbps and it is plenty fast. Am I missing something? I honestly would probably sign up for their 5.x Mbps free service and not look back.

You made the point. :lol

Drachen
03-21-2013, 04:06 PM
You made the point. :lol

With that being said, I would probably end up getting a little pissed off if I was trying to use the internet while my wife was watching a movie and my daughter was using her tablet, but that is 660 a year I could save. I might put up with the annoyances.

DarrinS
03-21-2013, 04:46 PM
Google could honestly only be just getting started. Can you imagine if they find a way to make self-driving cars affordable? Insurance rates would drop like a rock because of the instant drastic reduction of crashes/fatalities.

No way I trust that shit. Not yet.

Drachen
03-21-2013, 04:51 PM

I agree with you. Completely. But that is only because I haven't seen anything yet (and really neither has anyone else other than a random sighting). However, it is one of those inevitable things.

DarrinS
03-21-2013, 05:05 PM
I agree with you. Completely. But that is only because I haven't seen anything yet (and really neither has anyone else other than a random sighting). However, it is one of those inevitable things.

As soon as one "bug" kills some people, that will be the end of that.

Drachen
03-21-2013, 05:12 PM

No it won't. There will be an initial scare and backlash, maybe some legislation to prove that it is even safer than it was before (which will spur it to be even safer than it was before) and it will continue on. There will be a lot of data that will show that it will have far fewer accidents/fatalities per mile driven than a human driver which people will initially and irrationally reject, but then it will eeck forward.

Cry Havoc
03-21-2013, 05:21 PM

So you're saying you would rather trust the moron next to you who's eating a hamburger in one hand, cell phone in the other, driving with his knee while trying to stare down the blonde in the convertible next to him over a computer that has no agenda and no other purpose except to get you from point A to point B? Okay man, whatever you say.

Cry Havoc
03-21-2013, 05:21 PM

Yeah, thank god no one ever fucks up behind the wheel and takes out a whole family.

DarrinS
03-21-2013, 05:25 PM
So you're saying you would rather trust the moron next to you who's eating a hamburger in one hand, cell phone in the other, driving with his knee while trying to stare down the blonde in the convertible next to him over a computer that has no agenda and no other purpose except to get you from point A to point B? Okay man, whatever you say.

I trust the human visual cortex over the computer. Even the moron driving next to me is smarter than a computer.

baseline bum
03-21-2013, 06:22 PM

I'd easily trust the moron next to me since I don't have to worry about him going completely braindead like I would the driverless car if someone's code copies a 64-bit value into a 16-bit variable.

Cry Havoc
03-21-2013, 06:32 PM
I trust the human visual cortex over the computer. Even the moron driving next to me is smarter than a computer.

So far the Google computer has driven 250,000 miles with 0 accidents. Sounds like it's pretty smart to me.

Cry Havoc
03-21-2013, 06:34 PM
I'd easily trust the moron next to me since I don't have to worry about him going completely braindead like I would the driverless car if someone's code copies a 64-bit value into a 16-bit variable.

You've clearly never driven a car before. lol. People are 100% braindead all the time behind the wheel.

TeyshaBlue
03-21-2013, 06:35 PM
Chrome OS is going nowhere, despite the fact that the samsung chrome laptop has been the top selling laptop at amazon. Is the top "wished for" laptop, and the number 1 gift idea.

Samsung may jump ship to Tizen ( TeyshaBlue they are releasing a tizen flagship phone this year), but how many android fans will do the same?

Glass seems cool and it may or may not be successful in its current form, but the tech that goes into it will definitely be used in other projects.

Driverless cars.

Google's work on/stake in renewable energy projects

etc.

Yeah....I know bout the Tizen phone. They also build a Windows phone. They also make more money than God selling Android phones. They ain't leaving that cash on the table.

baseline bum
03-21-2013, 06:37 PM
You've clearly never driven a car before. lol. People are 100% braindead all the time behind the wheel.

No, I mean the guy fucking dies and is literally braindead.

Cry Havoc
03-21-2013, 07:14 PM
No, I mean the guy fucking dies and is literally braindead.

Come on. Do you really think they are going to put all their eggs in one basket and if the car gets some bad code it suddenly speeds up to 150 mph and veers into a tree or off a cliff? They have fail-safes and protocols for a reason. It's not like they're just throwing this out to the public with no testing. That's what they're doing now. Testing. Retesting. Slowly figuring out how to make a car that can drive, and not crash if something WERE to go wrong.

DarrinS
03-21-2013, 07:14 PM
So far the Google computer has driven 250,000 miles with 0 accidents. Sounds like it's pretty smart to me.

It's an interesting concept, but a horribly impractical product. People buy cars to drive them.

Cry Havoc
03-21-2013, 07:15 PM
It's an interesting concept, but a horribly impractical product. People buy cars to drive them.

Yeah man, people LOVE sitting in 2 hours of traffic to drive 25 miles to work.

DarrinS
03-21-2013, 07:17 PM

There's always public transportation for people that hate cars.

Cry Havoc
03-21-2013, 07:19 PM

What the fuck? On what planet do you live that public transportation goes everywhere, not to mention in a modest amount of time?

Do you really think someone spends $25,000+, the most expensive purchase of their life other than a house/condo, on a product for nothing more than enjoyment? People buy cars to go from A to B, and a FEW people buy cars because they like the driving experience. The number of people who buy a Prius/economy car because they love the feel of driving it is infinitesimal. The best selling cars are not performance machines, and they are not being purchased to instill a thrill of the road into the person. Mustangs, Camaros? Sure. But those cars don't sell nearly as well as the plethora of economic cars that are designed to get good MPG as a primary purpose for transportation.

Drachen
03-21-2013, 07:20 PM

Dude, I live 5 miles from work and so it takes me very little time to get to work, but if I lived further away, think of the reading I could get done. Added productivity. Then there are some people who drive from san antonio to dallas while conducting business, etc. Sure, sometimes you want to get out there and drive, but most of the time it's just a mind numbing monotonous task.

Cry Havoc
03-21-2013, 07:21 PM
Dude, I live 5 miles from work and so it takes me very little time to get to work, but if I lived further away, think of the reading I could get done. Added productivity. Then there are some people who drive from san antonio to dallas while conducting business, etc. Sure, sometimes you want to get out there and drive, but most of the time it's just a mind numbing monotonous task.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTSVbihEucfNpnKTUObGaHO_LkTfU4SH G4bIRmVIFl2J-MPRpXf

Oh come on, this is a blast!

DarrinS
03-21-2013, 07:21 PM
The Google driverless Harley is going to be bad ass.

vander
03-21-2013, 07:24 PM

so why isn't everyone carpooling/taking the bus/commuteride/etc.?

Drachen
03-21-2013, 07:24 PM

I used to live on Jones maltsberger and thousand oaks and worked on Fredericksburg and prue. Using public transportation, I had to leave my house at 5:30 to get to work (running from the bus stop) by 8am. I bought a cimmaron for 300 bucks and I was able to leave my house at 7:15 to arrive comfortably by 8

ElNono
03-21-2013, 07:26 PM
I'll take the moron next to me over this...

http://i45.tinypic.com/vo3051.png

Drachen
03-21-2013, 07:26 PM
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTSVbihEucfNpnKTUObGaHO_LkTfU4SH G4bIRmVIFl2J-MPRpXf

Oh come on, this is a blast!

I actually have a big problem with traffic. Especially when running late. I don't even care if people cut me off in general, I am usually over it pretty quickly if people almost hit me, but I am put in a really bad mood for an extended period of time if I have to be in traffic.

Drachen
03-21-2013, 07:29 PM

If it was as convenient as it is in Berlin, Germany. I probably wouldn't own a car.

vander
03-21-2013, 07:32 PM
I actually have a big problem with traffic. Especially when running late. I don't even care if people cut me off in general, I am usually over it pretty quickly if people almost hit me, but I am put in a really bad mood for an extended period of time if I have to be in traffic.

me too, if I'm not going 5 over, I pretty much start to get an aggravation stomach ache

vander
03-21-2013, 07:38 PM
If it was as convenient as it is in Berlin, Germany. I probably wouldn't own a car.

if more people used it, it would quickly become more convenient, but Americans keep clinging to their cars. it's in our blood, we gots to DRIVE! so yeah, in america anyways, I don't think Google car will ever be much more than a novelty.

Drachen
03-21-2013, 07:41 PM
me too, if I'm not going 5 over, I pretty much start to get an aggravation stomach ache

My worst was back in 2001. I was paying my rent on my lunch and on my way back, I hit some inexplicable traffic on 1604 out near braun. It was the middle of winter and I got so upset that I started pouring sweat, I rolled the windows down and turned up the AC all the way to max and continued to pour sweat. I actually bruised my hand from hitting the steering wheel so much/hard.

I am not that bad anymore, but it still gets me upset. I pretty much try to avoid it which is why I love living 5 miles from work with nary a highway between.

Drachen
03-21-2013, 07:42 PM
if more people used it, it would quickly become more convenient, but Americans keep clinging to their cars. it's in our blood, we gots to DRIVE! so yeah, in america anyways, I don't think Google car will ever be much more than a novelty.

The comfort/convenience of public transportation while still having a car? Of course Americans will love it. Heck, the rich hire drivers for a reason.

Cry Havoc
03-21-2013, 07:42 PM

Um. You ever been to NYC/Chicago/DC? You think people don't commute when they have the option? Do you think commuting and carpooling are always feasible or efficient?

Cry Havoc
03-21-2013, 07:43 PM

Yeah, want to tell me how much it costs to "commute" from one city to another in this country? The reason people drive is because it's the cheapest, fastest way to get there. Not because ZOMG CARS YOU GUYS. CARS.

vander
03-21-2013, 07:53 PM
your right, Google car will change the world

I personally wouldn't want one though

Cry Havoc
03-21-2013, 08:08 PM
your right, Google car will change the world

I personally wouldn't want one though

It would be nice to be able to take a long trip and read/sleep/surf the entire way.

Drachen
03-21-2013, 08:19 PM
It would be nice to be able to take a long trip and read/sleep/surf the entire way.

It IS nice doing that, though not that safe.

Cane
03-21-2013, 08:41 PM
Google Car seems like tech that won't be successful or affordable but I am just an armchair CEO. I know there are cars with the luxury feature of being able to park themselves but even those systems seemed clunky.

Google would have to lobby more, align themselves with or against big car manufacturers, and have to fight the public stigma associated with autopilot... because even though planes practically fly themselves we still have humans in the cockpit. And how will Google Car react to drunk drivers or other shitty hazards that an experienced human would probably be able to respond to better? Just have humans always at the ready even though they're going to be reading or jerking off?

And tbh I think Google Glass will be a hit especially if they can translate that to niche gamers somehow. Having a HUD with features like a camera in your sunglasses seems like the kind of crap even a casual person would check out at Best Buy (if they're still around).

Do you really think someone spends $25,000+, the most expensive purchase of their life other than a house/condo, on a product for nothing more than enjoyment? People buy cars to go from A to B, and a FEW people buy cars because they like the driving experience. The number of people who buy a Prius/economy car because they love the feel of driving it is infinitesimal. The best selling cars are not performance machines, and they are not being purchased to instill a thrill of the road into the person. Mustangs, Camaros? Sure. But those cars don't sell nearly as well as the plethora of economic cars that are designed to get good MPG as a primary purpose for transportation.

There are both eco versions of Mustangs and sporty versions of ecoboxes that sell pretty well, and the fuel inefficient trucks reign supreme still. But trucks and ecoboxes are also bought by rental companies and other businesses.

Performance vehicles often have tech that trickles down and serve as the flagship of a brand. Look at Toyota who have recently brought back an affordable RWD sports coupe along with a super exotic car a few years ago after not having anything to offer for the enthusiast, and they're developing their trucks as well. Almost like comparing mid/high end gamer cards to consoles/handhelds/etc, a graphics card company needs to research and develop stuff for the elite enthusiast even if the money is with the casuals

Cry Havoc
03-21-2013, 09:29 PM
Google Car seems like tech that won't be successful or affordable but I am just an armchair CEO. I know there are cars with the luxury feature of being able to park themselves but even those systems seemed clunky.

Google would have to lobby more, align themselves with or against big car manufacturers, and have to fight the public stigma associated with autopilot... because even though planes practically fly themselves we still have humans in the cockpit. And how will Google Car react to drunk drivers or other shitty hazards that an experienced human would probably be able to respond to better? Just have humans always at the ready even though they're going to be reading or jerking off?

And tbh I think Google Glass will be a hit especially if they can translate that to niche gamers somehow. Having a HUD with features like a camera in your sunglasses seems like the kind of crap even a casual person would check out at Best Buy (if they're still around).

There are both eco versions of Mustangs and sporty versions of ecoboxes that sell pretty well, and the fuel inefficient trucks reign supreme still. But trucks and ecoboxes are also bought by rental companies and other businesses.

Performance vehicles often have tech that trickles down and serve as the flagship of a brand. Look at Toyota who have recently brought back an affordable RWD sports coupe along with a super exotic car a few years ago after not having anything to offer for the enthusiast, and they're developing their trucks as well. Almost like comparing mid/high end gamer cards to consoles/handhelds/etc, a graphics card company needs to research and develop stuff for the elite enthusiast even if the money is with the casuals

Good post. Although I disagree about the public adoption of the Google car. I think it wouldn't be a very difficult decision for a consumer to make if it drops their car insurance by 80%. Not to mention if early reports are to be believed, these cars could virtually eliminate gridlock through a much more advanced communication system between cars. No more gridlock, and suddenly there are billions of gallons of fuel being saved each year, dropping the price of oil. And regardless of what you say about handling road conditions, 250k miles without a single accident is pretty amazing, especially considering that they're mostly prototypes that still have kinks to work out. I think a machine could EASILY handle a car much more competently than a person in the face of adverse conditions. Think of the ability for the computer to be linked to the traction control system and to know exactly how hard to steer the car to avoid an accident or maintain control in the event of a serious road hazard. Not to mention they could include infrared technology to give the sensors more range than the human eye can see.

I think there's a natural tendency humans have to underestimate how quickly technology has the potential and power to change things. It's hard to "imagine" the Google car becoming a reality. But the tech is there and it's developing rapidly. The requirement that a lot of things would have to happen before the Google Car would really take off does not make it impossible or even improbable, it just means there is a process that needs to occur. And it wouldn't take getting EVERY car manufacturer on board -- it would just take ONE that jumped on to see if consumer demand would make it a must have feature. As soon as that happens, everyone would be buying the Google navigation system.

Drachen
03-21-2013, 09:47 PM
Good post. Although I disagree about the public adoption of the Google car. I think it wouldn't be a very difficult decision for a consumer to make if it drops their car insurance by 80%. Not to mention if early reports are to be believed, these cars could virtually eliminate gridlock through a much more advanced communication system between cars. No more gridlock, and suddenly there are billions of gallons of fuel being saved each year, dropping the price of oil. And regardless of what you say about handling road conditions, 250k miles without a single accident is pretty amazing, especially considering that they're mostly prototypes that still have kinks to work out. I think a machine could EASILY handle a car much more competently than a person in the face of adverse conditions. Think of the ability for the computer to be linked to the traction control system and to know exactly how hard to steer the car to avoid an accident or maintain control in the event of a serious road hazard. Not to mention they could include infrared technology to give the sensors more range than the human eye can see.

I think there's a natural tendency humans have to underestimate how quickly technology has the potential and power to change things. It's hard to "imagine" the Google car becoming a reality. But the tech is there and it's developing rapidly. The requirement that a lot of things would have to happen before the Google Car would really take off does not make it impossible or even improbable, it just means there is a process that needs to occur. And it wouldn't take getting EVERY car manufacturer on board -- it would just take ONE that jumped on to see if consumer demand would make it a must have feature. As soon as that happens, everyone would be buying the Google navigation system.

Good post, agreed.

baseline bum
03-21-2013, 11:16 PM
God help us if there is ever a Microsoft car though. I'd rather ride shotgun with Lohan tbh.

Venti Quattro
03-21-2013, 11:41 PM
An Apple Car would be an even more terrible idea, as it will drive through rivers and bridges.

ElNono
03-21-2013, 11:45 PM
An Apple Car would be an even more terrible idea, as it will drive through rivers and bridges.

But you can get them in Citrus or Aquamarine!

leemajors
03-22-2013, 05:41 AM

Just saw this, too bad every car company will probably do the same and there will be fragmentation issues - a universal standard would be great:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/22/4134608/new-honda-mobile-app-improves-driving-safety

Cane
03-23-2013, 03:55 PM

Wow if Google Car can drop insurance rates like that, and kill gridlock, then it would be incredible. I know there are also cars on the roads with laser/GPS guided cruise control but that's much more primitive than Google's stuff. However I just don't see how it will be affordable enough unless the government throws in incentives like for hybrids in addition to insurance savings.

As a cynic I just see a lot of problems for Google Car and it sounds like it could be a huge flop in the making. They have to fight against the autopilot Big Brother stigma, and also against big politicians/insurance/car companies with agendas of their own, plus a big price tag, and there will be millions lost in inevitable lawsuits and recalls.

Or maybe it'll bring the USA back to the forefront in automotive technology and usher in a much safer, Googly-eyed world which would be awesome especially with all the damn drunks and idiots on the road (I'm one of the latter)

The Google Car would also be another nail in the coffin for my beloved yet outdated manual transmissions....RIP stickshifts

TDMVPDPOY
03-23-2013, 08:10 PM
google fibre is that still on trial only on certain suburbs,

dont think they are doing a major rollout

lefty
03-24-2013, 12:54 AM
google fibre is that still on trial only on certain suburbs,

dont think they are doing a major rollout
Shiiiiit

Did you enable auto-correct by accident ?

leemajors
03-24-2013, 09:02 AM
Shiiiiit

Did you enable auto-correct by accident ?

Nah it woulda corrected don't

monosylab1k
03-24-2013, 11:40 AM
Peaked? Peaked, Dee? Let me tell you something. Google hasn't even begun to peak. And when they do peak, you'll know. Because they're gonna peak so hard that everybody in Philadelphia is gonna feel it.

bluebellmaniac
03-24-2013, 05:13 PM

Planes crash and yet we still use them. Driverless cars will be a matter of acceptance. The track record is great on those cars so far. There will be accidents, but when compared with a comparable amount of miles driven by humans, it will be a huge improvement. Additionally, imagine this: people are out partying, having a blast. In today's world, they end up getting in a car and driving home drunk. In the world of self driving cars, you can "call" your car to pick you up. You tell it where to meet you, or it can find you. You get in and relax, it'll get you home in one piece. Also, it could drop you off where you need to go without having to circle aimlessly looking for a parking spot. It can drop you off, go home, then pick you up when you need it. A pretty sweet future if you ask me.

The other part will be politics. MS will try to legislate it out of use, until they have a competing product ready that is. So there will be bumps...

Drachen
03-24-2013, 07:37 PM
Combine this with electric cars and they could drop you off, go to a charging station, top up, then come back and pick you up later.

koriwhat
03-26-2013, 01:07 AM
my new car has a nifty mirror that eliminates bright lights behind me... actually, i love my new car!