PDA

View Full Version : Amateur: Why is Russell Westbrook allowed to shoot 3 pointers?

benefactor
03-21-2013, 01:54 PM
Seriously...he sucks balls at it...but this year he is up to almost 4 per game and is shooting a sparkling 32%. In the month of March(12 games) he has only made 9 of his 41 attempts. 9-41...:lol

On a side note, I have always pictured Steve Francis when I see Russell Westbrook(lol Iverson comparison)...so I looked at the stats side by side. Pretty remarkable how close they are.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/westbru01.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/f/francst01.html

Both athletic and can jump out of the gym. FG percentage is close to the same as is FT attempts, 3PT percentage, 3PT attempts, steals and turnovers. Francis was the better rebounder and Westbrook is a little better assist guy but other than that they are the same player. Pretty safe to assume that Westbrook will assume the same fate when his athleticism goes.

JamStone
03-21-2013, 02:05 PM
"Because there are no four pointers."

http://www.vibe.com/sites/vibe.com/files/photo_gallery_images/antoine_walker2.jpeg

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-21-2013, 02:08 PM
Does that make Durant his Mobley? Guys are clearly going clothes shopping together.

Clipper Nation
03-21-2013, 02:19 PM
You could have just left it at "Why is Russell Westbrook allowed to shoot," tbh...

Richie
03-21-2013, 02:26 PM
The OKC coaches have no say over what Westbrook does

hater
03-21-2013, 02:26 PM
I don't think even Westbrook has a say over what Westbrook does

benefactor
03-21-2013, 02:44 PM

http://www.vibe.com/sites/vibe.com/files/photo_gallery_images/antoine_walker2.jpeg
crofl

Does that make Durant his Mobley? Guys are clearly going clothes shopping together.
Sounds legit...except Mobley in this case is one of the best players ever to touch a basketball. It's a damn shame Durant is so beta. I don't like to wish injury on a player, but a career ending injury to Westbrook would be the best thing ever to happen to the Thunder.

Ace
03-21-2013, 02:48 PM

:lmao

Raven
03-21-2013, 02:56 PM
tbh it is because if he wouldn't, teams would guard him a lot easier..

Cry Havoc
03-21-2013, 02:57 PM
crofl

Sounds legit...except Mobley in this case is one of the best players ever to touch a basketball. It's a damn shame Durant is so beta. I don't like to wish injury on a player, but a career ending injury to Westbrook would be the best thing ever to happen to the Thunder.

I don't necessarily think Durant is a beta. I think he realizes that he has two options here:

1) Confront Westbrook. Watch him meltdown, possibly physically go after Durant. Afterward Westbrook starts playing hero ball 24/7 and the team gets completely destroyed in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

2) Deal with it, keep his mouth shut and try to keep Russell from destroying any chance, however slight, they have of winning a title.

Look at Westbrook's meltdown earlier this year and subsequent interview. That guy is mentally a 5 year old. His thoughts about needing to "take over" a game are very Kobe like. There is no way in hell Westbrook is ever going to accept being a #2 option on any team. There's absolutely no way to lead that dude. Maybe Phil + Jordan could have, but I doubt it. He's an emotional child and has no way of actually controlling things that aren't explicitly in his favor.

benefactor
03-21-2013, 03:08 PM
I don't necessarily think Durant is a beta. I think he realizes that he has two options here:

1) Confront Westbrook. Watch him meltdown, possibly physically go after Durant. Afterward Westbrook starts playing hero ball 24/7 and the team gets completely destroyed in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

2) Deal with it, keep his mouth shut and try to keep Russell from destroying any chance, however slight, they have of winning a title.

Look at Westbrook's meltdown earlier this year and subsequent interview. That guy is mentally a 5 year old. His thoughts about needing to "take over" a game are very Kobe like. There is no way in hell Westbrook is ever going to accept being a #2 option on any team. There's absolutely no way to lead that dude. Maybe Phil + Jordan could have, but I doubt it. He's an emotional child and has no way of actually controlling things that aren't explicitly in his favor.
So in a sense, you are saying this is the best possible outcome...

I don't like to wish injury on a player, but a career ending injury to Westbrook would be the best thing ever to happen to the Thunder.

hater
03-21-2013, 03:12 PM
possibly

unless there are some meds that can help chimpbrook, or maybe he can take a trip to Tibet, his best scenario would be to make a nice career as a fire off the bench a la Bobby Jackson

his future still bright. LOL at these drama queens calling for career ending injury or Steve Franchise ending

benefactor
03-21-2013, 03:13 PM
tbh it is because if he wouldn't, teams would guard him a lot easier..
So he should keep taking threes that he sucks at making to keep his driving lanes open? What a horrible take.

OKC
03-21-2013, 03:20 PM
Most of his 3 point attempts are pull up attempts. To me, those are the attempts he should be making a lot fewer of. When he's actually set and is assisted on a 3 point attempt, he's rather decent. I wish there was a % breakdown of the two. The ones that are irritating are the ones with 18 seconds left on the shot clock. Why? Like you said, he's shooting 32%. There's no reason on earth a 32% 3 point shooter should be jacking pull up 3 pointers without running the offense first.

Cry Havoc
03-21-2013, 03:39 PM
So in a sense, you are saying this is the best possible outcome...

Probably not this season, because they don't have anyone else even capable of even handling the ball. Long term though? I will be shocked if RB is ever on a championship team where he plays significant minutes. He's just too volatile, and unlike some players in the past he seems to be proud of his antics and inability to control his anger rather than showing any kind of understanding that his behavior damages the team.

Does anyone else think that it's a coincidence that they brought in the only player in league history that could keep a leash on Kobe into OKC with Refsbrook acting the way he is? I mean, stop and consider that for a second. Does anyone on SpursTalk think they brought Fisher in because of what he could contribute on the court? :lol

Brazil
03-21-2013, 03:52 PM
and still some spurs fans complain about tp hero ball, at least dude knows he sucks at 3 pts and just take a few to keep D honest and just attempt the wide open ones on the corner

gambit1990
03-21-2013, 03:57 PM
I don't think even Westbrook has a say over what Westbrook does
:lol

FkLA
03-21-2013, 03:57 PM
and still some spurs fans complain about tp hero ball, at least dude knows he sucks at 3 pts and just take a few to keep D honest and just attempt the wide open ones on the corner

TP hero ball in a system based on ball movement is probably just as bad as chimp ball in an iso system like OKCs tbh. Parker has been pretty good with that this year though, he needs to come back already. :tu

benefactor
03-21-2013, 04:02 PM
TP's hero ball works better because he actually passes too...and he can actually make jump shots.

Ace
03-21-2013, 04:29 PM
Surprised nobody has mentioned it but the real reason he shoots so many 3s, or just too much in general. Hes got dat Mamba blood flowing through his veins.

Raven
03-21-2013, 05:08 PM
So he should keep taking threes that he sucks at making to keep his driving lanes open? What a horrible take.

i don't see anybody guarding duncan or rondo at the 3pt line, so if players actually guard him there, there must be a reason, don't you think?

spurraider21
03-21-2013, 05:33 PM
Seriously...he sucks balls at it...but this year he is up to almost 4 per game and is shooting a sparkling 32%. In the month of March(12 games) he has only made 9 of his 41 attempts. 9-41...:lol

On a side note, I have always pictured Steve Francis when I see Russell Westbrook(lol Iverson comparison)...so I looked at the stats side by side. Pretty remarkable how close they are.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/westbru01.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/f/francst01.html

Both athletic and can jump out of the gym. FG percentage is close to the same as is FT attempts, 3PT percentage, 3PT attempts, steals and turnovers. Francis was the better rebounder and Westbrook is a little better assist guy but other than that they are the same player. Pretty safe to assume that Westbrook will assume the same fate when his athleticism goes.great stuff. I think Bible Francis could be the next great ST nickname

AaronY
03-21-2013, 05:41 PM
Hes Reggie Miller compared to Monta http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2751/monta-ellis

Cry Havoc
03-21-2013, 05:42 PM
Holy shit, Southern is right there with Zaga.

Richie
03-21-2013, 05:48 PM
Not many people dislike Westbooks game more than me, but some of you are talking like he's a scrub. Kid is very talented but lacking in fundamentals.

If he was drafted by a team with a coach who wouldn't let him get away with his chucking (i.e. Pop) he could easily become the best point guard in the league. OKC needs a coach to reign him in a lot though and make him realise Durant is #1 on that team.

It shouldn't be #1a and #1b, it should be a clear #1 and #2.

AussieFanKurt
03-21-2013, 05:50 PM
The real question is why is he allowed to run an offense and make decisions because he is fucking pitiful at it. Play him as a 2 and get a pass first PG or at least someone who can make decisions better

jag
03-21-2013, 06:10 PM
TP's hero ball works better because he actually passes too...and he can actually make jump shots.

TP's hero ball is also a more logical option because he doesn't have a Kevin Durant to pass to.

racm
03-21-2013, 06:11 PM
Here's the thing, if Westbrook had a human sized brain and not a simian sized one, he would have Parker's shot selection with better athleticism. Parker only averages around ~2 3PAs a game, and most of those are from the corner, where he's solid. Pre-2006 Parker took a lot of 3s (3-4 3PAs a game) and shot in the low to mid 30s. Yes, it was because Timmy demanded double teams and part of the offense was to kick it out to the perimeter, but eventually Pop and Chip told him to stop shooting 3s and hone his free throws (there was a season he shot in the 60s from FT), and recently he's become a lethal midrange shooter to complement his layups and close range game.

benefactor
03-21-2013, 06:11 PM
i don't see anybody guarding duncan or rondo at the 3pt line, so if players actually guard him there, there must be a reason, don't you think?
http://blogs.vso.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Moving-the-goalposts-300x2402.jpg

racm
03-21-2013, 06:12 PM
TP's hero ball is also a more logical option because he doesn't have a Kevin Durant to pass to. tbf, Parker has a Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili to pass to, but I'd agree that neither are nowhere near the offensive talent/league baby Durant is now.

jeebus
03-21-2013, 06:17 PM
Surprised nobody has mentioned it but the real reason he shoots so many 3s, or just too much in general. Hes got dat Mamba blood flowing through his veins.
I'm not so sure. If memory from health class 15 years ago serves me correctly, semen only survives in the body it is deposited in for about 3 days. So unless dat Mamba gives the Chimp a healthy supply to inject inside him, I don't think it's the DNA that forces Chimp to chuck so much.

jag
03-21-2013, 06:21 PM
tbf, Parker has a Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili to pass to, but I'd agree that neither are nowhere near the offensive talent/league baby Durant is now.

Tim is a great option right now if you can isolate him in the post. And don't insult Tony by mentioning Manu in the same sentence right now. I'd rather see Tony play hero ball with a bum ankle, using only his left hand while wearing an eye patch, than to see Manu shoot that abortion of a step-back three pointer with 20 seconds left on the shot clock.

Raven
03-21-2013, 06:22 PM
http://blogs.vso.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Moving-the-goalposts-300x2402.jpg

:lol @ trying to troll me out to justify your terrible takes

racm
03-21-2013, 06:25 PM
I'm not so sure. If memory from health class 15 years ago serves me correctly, semen only survives in the body it is deposited in for about 3 days. So unless dat Mamba gives the Chimp a healthy supply to inject inside him, I don't think it's the DNA that forces Chimp to chuck so much.

I think it's because of the color of the ball. If you squint it looks like monkey feces.

Tim is a great option right now if you can isolate him in the post. And don't insult Tony by mentioning Manu in the same sentence right now. I'd rather see Tony play hero ball with a bum ankle, using only his left hand while wearing an eye patch, than to see Manu shoot that abortion of a step-back three pointer with 20 seconds left on the shot clock.

It may sound strange but Manu Ginobili doesn't have Tim Duncan's transcendent basketball IQ or Tony Parker's sponge-like improvement to his game every year. What he has is a pretty average understanding of fundamentals and a transcendent feel for the game. So when he makes great plays, it's typically not the most utilitarian play but one he felt would be instrumental to winning. So his great plays look psychic while his bad plays look low BBIQ.

hater
03-21-2013, 07:33 PM
http://i.imgur.com/alDa61q.jpg

:lmao poor guys tbh, look at their faces

and the humiliation of the black man continues

benefactor
03-21-2013, 08:35 PM
:lol @ trying to troll me out to justify your terrible takes
:lol moving the goalposts then calling my takes terrible
:lol calling my takes shitty when you think Westbrook is better than Iverson

BobaFett1
03-21-2013, 08:53 PM
Not many people dislike Westbooks game more than me, but some of you are talking like he's a scrub. Kid is very talented but lacking in fundamentals.

If he was drafted by a team with a coach who wouldn't let him get away with his chucking (i.e. Pop) he could easily become the best point guard in the league. OKC needs a coach to reign him in a lot though and make him realise Durant is #1 on that team.

It shouldn't be #1a and #1b, it should be a clear #1 and #2.

I agree he has major talent but his basketball Iq is very low.

AussieFanKurt
03-21-2013, 09:03 PM
I agree he has major talent but his basketball Iq is very low.

You would go as far to say as low as Javalle or maybe worse and he's supposed to be running the offense

ambchang
03-21-2013, 09:14 PM
Not sure why the hate. Westbrook is the reason why delusional spurs fans like us think the spurs have a shot at making the finals.

racm
03-21-2013, 09:17 PM
Not sure why the hate. Westbrook is the reason why delusional spurs fans like us think the spurs have a shot at making the finals.

PG: Westbrook
SG: J.R. Smith
SF: Gay
PF: Josh Smith
C: McGee

Coach: Dwane Casey.

Whenever they win they win by blowout but they will be a sub .500 team.

Latarian Milton
03-22-2013, 08:32 PM
shooting 3's aint a bad option for him when his defender tries his best to stay in front of him and leaves him with plenty of room to shoot 3's. i wouldn't call it poor shot selection when the opponent allows you enough room to shoot them 3's, nigga just ain't that good shooting from outside tbh. dude would be unstoppable if he could hit 3's on a consistent basis like durant does.

HI-FI
03-22-2013, 08:44 PM
fortunately for us, Scottie Brooks is not able to reign in Westbrook, though he would be a handful for any coach. It's obvious Westbrook is a massive Kobe fan. Brooks seems like a decent guy, but he's not strong willed enough to handle Russell.

OKC needs a Phil Jackson/Diane Fossey combination to deal with Chimpbrook.