PDA

View Full Version : SCARY

palangi
03-22-2013, 10:33 PM
Our second unit bigs are very scary right now. when we throw blair out there with diaw we are very very limited!! why have we been so hard headed to fix this?

RD2191
03-22-2013, 10:34 PM
they know the system

ElNono
03-22-2013, 10:34 PM
what second unit bigs?

Splits
03-22-2013, 10:40 PM
Bonner played well, tbh

Richie
03-22-2013, 10:47 PM
Nothing to worry about. In the playoffs Timmy and Tiago will see a big increase in minutes. Bonner or Blair will play a max 5 min/game

freetiago
03-22-2013, 10:55 PM
only took 2 minutes for Bonner to let OKC get a 10 point run fueled off Perkins fastbreaks and Nick Collison putbacks
failure to integrate Baynes can be the death of the team
even if the Spurs do fight back the 2 minutes are on the court give the other team all the confidence in the world which you cant recover from

naico
03-22-2013, 10:58 PM
It's basically dividing 92 minutes between TD, Splitter, Diaw and Jackson (who i suggest will play some 4) as the main 4. TD+Splitter= 65 to 70min. Diaw will play 10-15min. That leaves Jackson and the rest of the bigs with around 15min.

BillMc
03-22-2013, 10:59 PM
Bonner played well, tbh

Yep. Bonner (in small doses) is a good change-up during a game.

Obstructed_View
03-22-2013, 11:05 PM
Baynes needs to sit on the bench for three years before he's ready to play. Somehow that makes a player good.

TheGoldStandard
03-22-2013, 11:23 PM
Baynes needs to sit on the bench for three years before he's ready to play. Somehow that makes a player good.

Haven't you heard sitting on the bench is the best way to learn the system in real game situations.

palangi
03-22-2013, 11:24 PM
baynes right now could do what blair does and more!!

Brunodf
03-22-2013, 11:40 PM
baynes right now could do what blair does and more!!
Wouldn't be fair to the team

ChumpDumper
03-23-2013, 11:22 AM
failure to integrate Baynes can be the death of the team:lol

BoneyTee
03-23-2013, 12:04 PM
I don't post much, just follow you guys a lot. But I don't understand something. I never thought BAYNES was going to play much this year anyway. But it seems like the rest of you did.....BAYNES won't get any burn until next year when BLAIR departs.

BoneyTee
03-23-2013, 12:05 PM
Just my opinion understand

Fabbs
03-23-2013, 12:07 PM
:lol I was fine with Splitter on the bench last year.

jermaine
03-23-2013, 12:21 PM
I don't post much, just follow you guys a lot. But I don't understand something. I never thought BAYNES was going to play much this year anyway. But it seems like the rest of you did.....BAYNES won't get any burn until next year when BLAIR departs.
True but still sad. He can do that an then more like someone else stated. I wonder whats the fucking wait everytime I see Blair or Diaw an Bonner. No knock on them, but that lineup sucks.

Solid D
03-23-2013, 12:42 PM
It's basically dividing 92 minutes between TD, Splitter, Diaw and Jackson (who i suggest will play some 4) as the main 4. TD+Splitter= 65 to 70min. Diaw will play 10-15min. That leaves Jackson and the rest of the bigs with around 15min.

:tu Yep, with Blair or Matt getting a few matchup/tactical minutes game by game.

therealtruth
03-23-2013, 01:10 PM
only took 2 minutes for Bonner to let OKC get a 10 point run fueled off Perkins fastbreaks and Nick Collison putbacks
failure to integrate Baynes can be the death of the team
even if the Spurs do fight back the 2 minutes are on the court give the other team all the confidence in the world which you cant recover from

This. You can't waste playoff minutes. You have to keep the defensive pressure for the full 48 minutes. Letting the other team get confidence is a bad idea.

freetiago
03-23-2013, 01:20 PM
Baynes would actually be playing right now if the Spurs were able to dump Blair like they have been for the past 2 years
but hes so bad no team wanted him for even a second round pick

ChumpDumper
03-23-2013, 01:23 PM
Ah, the contractual obligation minutes theory appears again on SpursTalk.

You guys work yourselves up so much about non-rotation players.

bklynspursfan
03-23-2013, 01:36 PM
Lately it's usually only the first half Pop does that. Then in the 2nd half, you're seeing Diaw/Duncan/Splitter. Sometimes Bonner can come in and provide a spark, as can Blair. But Blair has been underwhelming in his limited minutes.

exstatic
03-23-2013, 05:44 PM
Our second unit bigs are very scary right now. when we throw blair out there with diaw we are very very limited!! why have we been so hard headed to fix this?

Pop lengthened the rotation last night. Normally it's Duncan and Splitter, with Diaw off the bench, paired with one of them. No idea why he was throwing Bonner and Blair out there with everyone healthy. He hasn't done that in ages.

exstatic
03-23-2013, 05:46 PM
I did like it when Pop moved Kawhi to the four to match with the undersized Millsap. That went better than Blair, and Millsap seems unused to guarding out to and beyond the arc.

exstatic
03-23-2013, 05:48 PM
Lately it's usually only the first half Pop does that. Then in the 2nd half, you're seeing Diaw/Duncan/Splitter. Sometimes Bonner can come in and provide a spark, as can Blair. But Blair has been underwhelming in his limited minutes.

Is it just me, or does Blair seem uninterested in playing to the point of intentionally committing 2-3 fouls in like 2 minutes game time his first rotation, lately.

rascal
03-23-2013, 06:08 PM

Diaw, Jackson and Bonner are not bigs and soft Splitter will stink in the big playoff spotlight. Duncan will need more help like other years.
The Spurs are finished against the first team true test they encounter in the playoffs like the last two years. Same roster same results.

HarlemHeat37
03-23-2013, 06:13 PM
Diaw, Jackson and Bonner are not bigs and soft Splitter will stink in the big playoff spotlight. Duncan will need more help like other years.
The Spurs are finished against the first team true test they encounter in the playoffs like the last two years. Same roster same results.

A potential failure from the Spurs will not be based on the effort of their secondary bigs..

Brunodf
03-23-2013, 07:07 PM
]I did like it when Pop moved Kawhi to the four to match with the undersized Millsap[/U]. That went better than Blair, and Millsap seems unused to guarding out to and beyond the arc.

Spurs couldn't get stops

bklynspursfan
03-23-2013, 07:10 PM
Is it just me, or does Blair seem uninterested in playing to the point of intentionally committing 2-3 fouls in like 2 minutes game time his first rotation, lately.

Yea he went thru a stretch where he was playing really well in the minutes he was given. Now, there's not a lot of heart/hustle from him for whatever reason. But he still seems pretty involved from the bench which is good.

EJFischer
03-23-2013, 07:20 PM
Blair should be motivated when he's on the floor. Every moment of game time he gets is an audition for 29 teams come the offseason.

Bruno
03-23-2013, 08:32 PM
I'm a little disappointed that Pop didn't gave a shot to Baynes. He might not have been significantly better than Blair or Bonner but he is a better fit on the paper to be paired with Diaw.

Gagnrath
03-23-2013, 09:10 PM
How many minutes could Baynes have really been given in situations that matter in a game? He had a slight familiarity with the sets from playing with the Ausie national team but that wasn't much and was in questionable conditioning. Add in rookie getting used to the speed and athleticism of the NBA and you have a recipe for a bad transition. I don't think the spurs handled it to badly honestly. You don't really expect a rookie brought in at the mid point of the year to be more than a spot minute player and it does a good job of getting his rookie season out of the way for the refs.

You don't ever expect to have an undrafted rookie be a major cog in a good play-off rotation.

Obstructed_View
03-24-2013, 08:44 AM
I'm a little disappointed that Pop didn't gave a shot to Baynes. He might not have been significantly better than Blair or Bonner but he is a better fit on the paper to be paired with Diaw.

This.

Obstructed_View
03-24-2013, 08:44 AM
You don't ever expect to have an undrafted rookie be a major cog in a good play-off rotation.

Yet we spent several years of Tim Duncan's career expecting Matt Bonner to be a major cog in the playoff rotation.

exstatic
03-24-2013, 08:49 AM
Yet we spent several years of Tim Duncan's career expecting Matt Bonner to be a major cog in the playoff rotation.

Not undrafted - UNcheck
Not a rookie - UNcheck

silverblk mystix
03-24-2013, 09:02 AM
I love Pop and would never question his decisions. I also love Bonner- have you guys tried one of Bon-Bon's sammiches? They are fabulous!

exstatic
03-24-2013, 09:15 AM
I'm a bitter bitch who fails to appreciate any facet of one of the greatest sports franchises in North American history

Fabbs
03-24-2013, 11:30 AM
I want me some BonBon.

jjktkk
03-24-2013, 12:52 PM
Pop should play Baynes more. Baynes is badass, when you play him on NBA2K13.

Fabbs
03-24-2013, 01:03 PM
I want me some BonBon.

dunkman
03-24-2013, 01:06 PM
Baynes doesn't . . . make good sandw . . . hmm! . . . spread the floor.

Pop
03-24-2013, 01:23 PM
A potential failure from the Spurs will not be based on the effort of their secondary bigs..

Actually this is the one glaring hole in our rotation, Tiago and Boris are good but they're not great together, makes the frontline too soft and weak rebouding wise.

The 18 minutes Tim Duncan sits in the POs, it could be incredibly ugly. 18 minutes is a very long time.

Also how are we going to bully the Heat inside during these 18 minutes?

Last year's failure was basically on the bench getting outplayed by OKC's role players, don't be quick to forget.

exstatic
03-24-2013, 01:37 PM
I fail to see the difference between someone who doesn't give a shit one way or the other about Bonner and who doesn't hate Pop with a passion.

TD 21
03-24-2013, 04:50 PM
Actually this is the one glaring hole in our rotation

I missed the part where backup SF and PG ceased being glaring holes.

The 18 minutes Tim Duncan sits in the POs

There's zero chance Duncan plays 30 mpg in the playoffs. 36 mpg, is more like it.

Pop
03-24-2013, 04:59 PM

Cojo is good enough for 10 minutes of good defensive effort and bringing the ball up the court to pass it to Manu. And Pop played KY 43 minutes the last game so Im not worried either, Sjax has proven to be a good playoff performer anyway.

Pop
03-24-2013, 05:21 PM

There's zero chance Duncan plays 30 mpg in the playoffs. 36 mpg, is more like it.

Im on my phone so its hard to find what he averaged last year but by looking it up quickly if Im not mistaken it was about 30min in the first round, 33 in the second and 34 in the wcf. And I think he should be fresh going into the finals and we most likely wont get b2b sweeps so he should play less minutes per games imo.

Obstructed_View
03-24-2013, 06:56 PM
Not undrafted - UNcheck
Not a rookie - UNcheck

You whiffed on the point. Matt Bonner sucks. Matt Bonner started for the Spurs. Matt Bonner was ahead of Tiago Splitter in the rotation. Matt Bonner is ahead of Aaron Baynes in the rotation.

hater
03-24-2013, 07:10 PM
:lmao baynes

dude can't even find the nearest San Antonio ATM branch. and you mofos want him to play in the playoffs :lmao

HarlemHeat37
03-24-2013, 07:20 PM
Duncan/Splitter/Diaw is one of the best frontcourts in the NBA..of course Splitter and Diaw need to play well, that's the case for role players on every team, but production from secondary bigs isn't going to be the deciding factor in a Finals run, it rarely is..

- Parker not getting shut down in a key series
- Duncan's regular season translating to the playoffs
- Manu finding his game
- Role players making open shots

Those are all far more important than a supposedly "weak frontcourt", tbh..

Pop
03-24-2013, 07:22 PM

dude can't even find the nearest San Antonio ATM branch. and you mofos want him to play in the playoffs :lmao

I think he's gonna be better than Splitter as soon as he get confortable in the nba tbh.

He has great rebounding, shotblocking and an actual jumper...

hater
03-24-2013, 08:13 PM
SPlitter is one of the best thinking bigmen in the league. OTOH Baynes wants to model his game after Reggie Evans :lol Please :rolleyes

exstatic
03-24-2013, 08:17 PM
I think he's gonna be better than Splitter as soon as he get confortable in the nba tbh.

He has great rebounding, shotblocking and an actual jumper...

Dude, 30 NBA GMs aren't going to whiff on a big man with a higher upside than Splitter. Put down the pipe.

Obstructed_View
03-24-2013, 08:37 PM

What's an ATM branch?

naico
04-23-2013, 08:41 AM
:tu Yep, with Blair or Matt getting a few matchup/tactical minutes game by game.

Funny (not the right word tbh) how everything turned out with Jackson gone and Diaw injured..

Budkin
04-23-2013, 01:28 PM
If Bonner continues to play like he did I don't care anymore.

Brunodf
04-23-2013, 02:07 PM
Pop was lucky that Manu bailed out his turd tower lineup vs DH/Gasol